Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

Just now, Lighthouse said:

You’d prefer not to have Lavia and Edozie?

Have just edited my post but my initial thoughts were Gunn, Bazunu, Larios, not to mention Shields. And might add the pursuit of Delap.

I'll reserve judgement on Edozie, certainly has potential but often seems to share Che's instincts in front of goal or with the final ball. 

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Have just edited my post but my initial thoughts were Gunn, Bazunu, Larios, not to mention Shields. And might add the pursuit of Delap.

I'll reserve judgement on Edozie, certainly has potential but often seems to share Che's instincts in front of goal or with the final ball. 

Gunn was highly rated when we signed him, as was Bazunu. Larios may well turn out okay one day, either way he seems to be a bit of a punt and not particularly expensive.

I’d say our record of signing young Man City players is no worse than our record overall on transfers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vagab0nd said:

Not trying to be a sunshine pumper, just calling it like I see it. There's plenty of Leeds and Leipzig supporters who will wholeheartedly disagree with me! 

As I said, no idea how it will work out. Leeds had Marsch on their radar for a while, much like Southampton, and they figured he could have them take the next step and be a consistent mid-table team that could play exciting football. He wasn't able to deliver and at the end of the day, the buck stops with him. He could very well fall short with Saints too, as he's anything but a sure bet to keep you up/immediately bounce back up if you get relegated. 

Completely understand people who are underwhelmed with the hire. But also think a bit of perspective is needed too, both with Marsch's previous situations and the current predicament that Southampton find themselves in now too. That's all I was trying to provide a little context on. And a lot of it is just my opinion, so people can (and will) absolutely disagree with me on some things, which I respect. 

I'm not a Saints supporter, so I'm not here to make waves. I do not envy the position your club is in and I take no pleasure in you all being in that position. There's far too much tribalism in the sport. Again, I sincerely hope it works out and Jesse smashes it. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

The world needs more sunshine pumpers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Gunn was highly rated when we signed him, as was Bazunu. Larios may well turn out okay one day, either way he seems to be a bit of a punt and not particularly expensive.

I’d say our record of signing young Man City players is no worse than our record overall on transfers. 

Larios is a young lad and has played a couple of games, there is no way a proper judgement can be made on him yet. Bazunu and Edozie have both been thrust into the Premier League with no prior experience. They both have very good potential. 

I don't really have an issue with any of the signings from City. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, benali-shorts said:

I’m ambivalent to Marsch. Grateful it’s not Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney. But I’m intrigued when people optimistically say that Marsch will suit our squad, despite all the evidence that our squad is, in fact, helplessly shit. 

Our squad isn’t in fact hopelessly shit. They will fit the Red-bull style.

Generally speaking, teams within the Red Bull structure will play aggressive, attractive, high-intensity, high-pressing football. These teams will be active with and without the ball, employing a high and aggressive pressing system and looking to get runners in behind the opposition defence when they have possession

Some of our supporters are hopelessly shit though.

• Like 2

Definitely a better fit than Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard would be. Still, mostly pointing to us going down whoever is manager and that's something my brain can handle. But, and this could be watching all the escapes in the 90's, not going to be that shocked if we stay up. I may or may not be on something and no you can't have any.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Danbert said:

I don't see the point in a new manager whose teams play in the Hassenhuttel style, but who has been less successful. Why didn't we just keep Ralph?

Its not the Hasenhuttl style, he didnt invent it. Marsch's teams are similar but will have their own nuances.

We didnt keep Ralph because results had badly tailed off during the last year of his tenure. He had reportedly lost part of the dressing room and wasnt even talking to some of the squad/coaches. He also looked a broken man as 4 years of managing in the PL had taken its toll. We tried to freshen things up by bringing in a new coaching setup to support Ralph (when we should have brought in a new manager) and this had little to no effect.

• Like 7

No Jesse Marsch please!

Ten reasons why not:

1.  2 wins in 17 league games - statistically worse than NJ's 1 win in 8 games

2.  Plays like Ralph whom we sacked!

3.  "Talks too much", "loves his own voice", "talks a good talk", "talks the talk but can't walk the walk" - Leeds fans

4.  Pitch will get narrower over time until Saints end up playing 6-year-old schoolboys football

5.  Opposition wingers will have freedom of the city

6.  "Only strategy is to create chaos and hope the opposition make a mistake" - Leeds fans

7.  "No Plan B" - Leeds fans

8.  "Out-thought by every manager including Chris Cooper!" - Leeds fans

9.  Simon Jordan and David Seaman say no!

10.  Cringeworthy puns - "Oh when the Saints go Marsching in", "We Marsch on"

• Haha 3

Wayne Rooney instead of Jesse Marsch please!

Ten reasons why Rooney is my top pick:

1.  Learnt from the best - Sir Alex Ferguson

2.  Can teach our young strikers how to score (was a brilliant young striker himself)

3.  Did an admirable job at Derby County (despite a 21-point deduction and no money to spend, almost kept them up, missing by 7 points)

4.  Loyal to club (stuck with Derby County despite their financial difficulties)

5.  Has experience managing a Championship club (where we'll likely be next season)

6.  We can poach Man Utd nippers

7.  No more selling our best players to Liverpool

8.  Winner off the field as well as on - he and Colleen beat the Vardys

9.  Will manage Saints over-75 women's team for free

10.  As left-field an appointment as NJ - you just know SR will do it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

I understand many being underwhelmed at this appointment. Yet there are a few important factors we must take into consideration.

Firstly, our dearly deluded resident fuckwit Rasmus, has completely trashed his reputation, and by extention, that of SR. By hiring Mad Nate, when all but the 27 "Jones Daftees" knew before he even started that it was only ever going to end in catastrophic failure,  he drew a defining line in the sand.

Get it right, he was a pioneering genius. His reputation soars. But he didn't.

Jones was every bit the unmitigated disaster we all (and anyone who knows football) knew it would be. The appointment made everyone seriously question Rasmus' sanity. Sticking with him so long, in the face of massive fan unrest, and particularly after Jones almighty nuclear media meltdown, confirmed poor Ras' as a bona fide certifiable lunatic.

Now, if you were an anywhere near half decent and self respecting Premier League standard football manager, ask yourself, if this master of metrical muppetry called you up and offered you the job of trying to save Southampton Football Club from the complete clusterfuck he has created, what would you say?

The second word is OFF!!!

Now, at first glance, I would agree, Jesse March would not have been my first choice. Nor my second, or even third.

But, he is a man with a point to prove, and most importantly of all, he is not  Nathan Jones. For most of us, not that long ago, that was all that mattered.

No manager of the proven calibre we might all hope for, is going to want to risk their reputation working for Rasmus Ankersen, at least not at this point in time.

Jesse Marsch is clearly an intelligent and well educated man, so that's a huge improvement, right off the bat.

He looks the part. He is smart, presentable and carries himself in a professional manner, which really helps when you are the public face of a Premier League football club. He might not have the "gravitas" we spoke of previously, but he does have a certain charisma about him, and that is important when looking to motivate and inspire young top flight professionals.

His footballing philosophy fits right in with the ethos and "DNA" we have promoted at the Club for many years. And right now, when we need someone who can hit the ground running, that could be massive.

He doesn't ever play a back 3/5. Hallefuckinglujah!

He isn't related to Harry Redkrapp,  and he isn't Slippy G. Very important feathers to have in your cap.

In short, he may not be who we all would have chosen, but the above, are a lot of positives.

We are a Rasmus self-inflicted basket case, and of the available options, I think that under the circumstances, we are lucky he is willing to have us.

We Marsch On. :)

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I understand many being underwhelmed at this appointment. Yet there are a few important factors we must take into consideration.

Firstly, our dearly deluded resident fuckwit Rasmus, has completely trashed his reputation, and by extention, that of SR. By hiring Mad Nate, when all but the 27 "Jones Daftees" knew before he even started that it was only ever going to end in catastrophic failure,  he drew a defining line in the sand.

Get it right, he was a pioneering genius. His reputation soars. But he didn't.

Jones was every bit the unmitigated disaster we all (and anyone who knows football) knew it would be. The appointment made everyone seriously question Rasmus' sanity. Sticking with him so long, in the face of massive fan unrest, and particularly after Jones almighty nuclear media meltdown, confirmed poor Ras' as a bona fide certifiable lunatic.

Now, if you were an anywhere near half decent and self respecting Premier League standard football manager, ask yourself, if this master of metrical muppetry called you up and offered you the job of trying to save Southampton Football Club from the complete clusterfuck he has created, what would you say?

The second word is OFF!!!

Now, at first glance, I would agree, Jesse March would not have been my first choice. Nor my second, or even third.

But, he is a man with a point to prove, and most importantly of all, he is not  Nathan Jones. For most of us, not that long ago, that was all that mattered.

No manager of the proven calibre we might all hope for, is going to want to risk their reputation working for Rasmus Ankersen, at least not at this point in time.

Jesse Marsch is clearly an intelligent and well educated man, so that's a huge improvement, right off the bat.

He looks the part. He is smart, presentable and carries himself in a professional manner, which really helps when you are the public face of a Premier League football club. He might not have the "gravitas" we spoke of previously, but he does have a certain charisma about him, and that is important when looking to motivate and inspire young top flight professionals.

His footballing philosophy fits right in with the ethos and "DNA" we have promoted at the Club for many years. And right now, when we need someone who can hit the ground running, that could be massive.

He doesn't ever play a back 3/5. Hallefuckinglujah!

He isn't related to Harry Redkrapp,  and he isn't Slippy G. Very important feathers to have in your cap.

In short, he may not be who we all would have chosen, but the above, are a lot of positives.

We are a Rasmus self-inflicted basket case, and of the available options, I think that under the circumstances, we are lucky he is willing to have us.

We Marsch On. :)

We are lucky Marsch is willing to have us? Please! We have wonderful facilities, a famous academy and we are still playing in the best league in the world. Wayne Rooney, Stevie G and Frank Lampard are interested as well, in case you're not aware.

And speaking of Gerrard, why should Marsch be preferred to him? Gerrard went a whole season unbeaten in Scotland, not an easy feat!

If you ask any Leeds fan, they will tell you that it was Raphina who saved them, not Marsch. Leeds went in to the final game of the season in the relegation places and were lucky Raphina came up with the goods! The owners of Leeds saw how their season would end if they kept Marsch on, which is why they sacked him - something our oh-so-smart owners failed to do with Ralph, then compounding their mistake by replacing him with Jones.

Have you wondered if the "DNA" of the club (as you call it) is worth preserving? This endless gegenpressing from the word go which tires the players out so that we lose leads and pluck defeat from the jaws of victory - if it's that wonderful, why aren't Pep and Arteta employing it?

• Haha 2

If Raphina was the key to survival why did the oh-so-smart Leeds owners sell him to make Marsch’s job more difficult??

Don’t get the love-in for Gerrard, Rooney & Lampard. None has proven that they have what it takes in management despite being quality players ! The media circus surrounding them would not help either !!

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

If Raphina was the key to survival why did the oh-so-smart Leeds owners sell him to make Marsch’s job more difficult??

Don’t get the love-in for Gerrard, Rooney & Lampard. None has proven that they have what it takes in management despite being quality players ! The media circus surrounding them would not help either !!

As a saints fan, does this question really need answering?

Just for anyone else like me who can't be arsed to watch 20-30min video's on tactics here's a 7min one on him at RB salzburg

Explains nicely why he leaves wingers free, plays narrow etc they obvs dont have the internet in Leeds if they were complaining about it cos that what he did at salzburg.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

We are lucky Marsch is willing to have us? Please! We have wonderful facilities, a famous academy and we are still playing in the best league in the world. Wayne Rooney, Stevie G and Frank Lampard are interested as well, in case you're not aware.

And speaking of Gerrard, why should Marsch be preferred to him? Gerrard went a whole season unbeaten in Scotland, not an easy feat!

If you ask any Leeds fan, they will tell you that it was Raphina who saved them, not Marsch. Leeds went in to the final game of the season in the relegation places and were lucky Raphina came up with the goods! The owners of Leeds saw how their season would end if they kept Marsch on, which is why they sacked him - something our oh-so-smart owners failed to do with Ralph, then compounding their mistake by replacing him with Jones.

Have you wondered if the "DNA" of the club (as you call it) is worth preserving? This endless gegenpressing from the word go which tires the players out so that we lose leads and pluck defeat from the jaws of victory - if it's that wonderful, why aren't Pep and Arteta employing it?

At the end of the day, any manager who is available will have failed in his last job, hence his availability. Any option will divide opinion.

If you ask any Villa fan, they'll tell you that they were going down under Gerrard who was terrible for them. 

I wouldn't quite describe him as a Jones with a bit more charisma, but he ain't far off that. His feat of winning in Scotland doesn't impress at all. It's a terrible league (we've just upgraded Olaigbe's loan from Scotland Prem to English league 2) so success up there isn't a credible benchmark.

Marsch walked into hell's kitchen when he joined Leeds. Bielsa was god like. Sure, Rapinha was amazing for them, but Marsch kept that team up, and has won games at this level. 

If our choice is Marsch, Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney, it'd be Marsch all day long. That said, I think they'd all command the dressing room and a shot in the arm on the pitch.

Lampard has done nothing to even warrant a mention - he was a great player but he won't be playing for us, and he's not shown himself to be a decent manager. Rooney is the interesting. I thought he did well at Derby in tough circumstances, but since then he's a nightmare at DC united - 2 wins in 14 is shocking. No idea what that's about, but it ain't great.

Marsch for me. Best of a meh lot, but we've got to be realistic on our options. 

• Like 18

5 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Jessie Marsch did the league/cup double two seasons in a row in Austria which is a similar level of "no easy feat".

9 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Jesse Marsch in the Harbour Hotel, Ocean Village. Announcement first thing in the morning, surely.

jesse.png

Is it just me or does he look like he's getting some serious help with the check in paperwork?  Not a good sign if that's the case, it's not exactly rocket science, name, address, car reg....

On 13/02/2023 at 23:15, West end Saints said:
17 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Jessie Marsch did the league/cup double two seasons in a row in Austria which is a similar level of "no easy feat".

At the end of the day what’s going on right now is akin to the deckchairs being rearranged on the Titanic. We are 90-95% relegated owing to mismanagement by SR. They were too slow to sack Ralph and they failed to get a decent striker in. Then to compound those errors that made one of the most ridiculous managerial appointments of all time. Good stewardship has always been a necessity for us as a club to survive in the PL and SR have been anything but. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is it just me or does he look like he's getting some serious help with the check in paperwork?  Not a good sign if that's the case, it's not exactly rocket science, name, address, car reg....

I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek here 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's the bar isn't it? Can just picture him a few minutes earlier, large whiskey in hand.. "well here goes nothing".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Probably someone from here sharing their tactical ideas for Chelsea game.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I know right...? I bet Poch, Koeman, Gallardo or Tuchel wouldn't have a problem with simple stuff like that!!

1 minute ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I know right...? I bet Poch, Koeman, Gallardo or Tuchel wouldn't have a problem with simple stuff like that!!

Like all ex Saints managers, Poch and Koeman still have a flat / penthouse / luxury yatch (delete as applicable) in the area, so wouldn't be an issue for them.  Gallardo would use a Jedi mind trick and Tuchel would just walk arrogantly by as paperwork is beneath him.

• Haha 1

Just listened to last nights Solent piece on Marsch with Blackmore. Very interesting hearing the BBC Leeds guy’s thoughts which were a bit worrying. Also at the end Blackmore was very critical of Ankersen and spoke a lot of sense re owners taking day to day footballing decisions. He said he knew within a fortnight Jones wouldn’t last long.

4 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Just listened to last nights Solent piece on Marsch with Blackmore. Very interesting hearing the BBC Leeds guy’s thoughts which were a bit worrying. Also at the end Blackmore was very critical of Ankersen and spoke a lot of sense re owners taking day to day footballing decisions. He said he knew within a fortnight Jones wouldn’t last long.

Having watched Leeds and skimmed through some of the tactics stuff, I’m actually quite excited conversely.

Were gonna get caught out in transitions but we leak like a sieve anyway, but we’re adding a clear tactical style and add some more potency. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I didn't hear it, but it seems that Leeds fans and watchers either like or loathe the guy. I guess his non possession, chase the ball style won't appeal to everyone, and like us under Ralph, it'll lead to us having our pockets picked often. Personally, I'd rather a risky ish brand of football than an anonymous/archaic brand. 

On the last bit, the sad thing is that we could all see it and I can't understand why they that let it drag on. Really weak management from SR that is likely to cost us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I didn't hear it, but it seems that Leeds fans and watchers either like or loathe the guy. I guess his non possession, chase the ball style won't appeal to everyone, and like us under Ralph, it'll lead to us having our pockets picked often. Personally, I'd rather a risky ish brand of football than an anonymous/archaic brand. 

On the last bit, the sad thing is that we could all see it and I can't understand why they that let it drag on. Really weak management from SR that is likely to cost us. 

Leeds fans in general are a loathsome lot, so little surprise he didn't win so many round, especially so having to follow in Bielsa's footsteps. He didn't pull up any trees, but I always thought they'd done well for the squad they have. Bamford was always was reminded me not to totally lose my head over Che missing chance after chance, because at least Che brings something to the table.

Marsch very obviously wouldn't be our first choice given ideal circumstance, but I think he could give it a right go with us and definitely think he's suited to us. Just hope our fans don't lament him if he can't get us out of the trap door, as our best run of the season has been and gone. We have a far stiffer test than the table/points tally suggests.

• Like 4