Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

3 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Leeds fans in general are a loathsome lot, so little surprise he didn't win so many round, especially so having to follow in Bielsa's footsteps. He didn't pull up any trees, but I always thought they'd done well for the squad they have. Bamford was always was reminded me not to totally lose my head over Che missing chance after chance, because at least Che brings something to the table.

Marsch very obviously wouldn't be our first choice given ideal circumstance, but I think he could give it a right go with us and definitely think he's suited to us. Just hope our fans don't lament him if he can't get us out of the trap door, as our best run of the season has been and gone. We have a far stiffer test than the table/points tally suggests.

If he can get us out of the trap door he deserves the keys to the city.

I won’t be blaming him if he doesn’t, there are far better and more worthwhile targets for the blame.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I won’t be blaming him if he doesn’t, there are far better and more worthwhile targets for the blame.

I can already see myself getting annoyed by people on this forum, after we lose a couple of games, saying "we were told this guy was the saviour who was going to keep us up"

Jessie Marsch is absolutley nailed on to be relegated with us, we have far too much to do now. He can come in and win his first two games in a row and even if he does that we will probably still be in the bottom 3. We are almost certain to be relegated, but if Marsch can at least get us organised and give the young players some guidance/focus/motivation, then great.

• Like 30

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is it just me or does he look like he's getting some serious help with the check in paperwork?  Not a good sign if that's the case, it's not exactly rocket science, name, address, car reg....

949A5A8F-07A1-416B-94B7-67B824E336FE.jpeg.2aac978b6f0a84b3190abb618dd43e6c.jpeg

Also these two are having a bit of a giggle as if he’s just let one rip. If he has a flatulence problem that’s hardly going to inspire confidence in the players. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I can already see myself getting annoyed by people on this forum, after we lose a couple of games, saying "we were told this guy was the saviour who was going to keep us up"

Jessie Marsch is absolutley nailed on to be relegated with us, we have far too much to do now. He can come in and win his first two games in a row and even if he does that we will probably still be in the bottom 3. We are almost certain to be relegated, but if Marsch can at least get us organised and give the young players some guidance/focus/motivation, then great.

Spot on, my view too.  About regaining some self-respect and cohesion as a club.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This is the reality of the situation.  Great post.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

949A5A8F-07A1-416B-94B7-67B824E336FE.jpeg.2aac978b6f0a84b3190abb618dd43e6c.jpeg

Also these two are having a bit of a giggle as if he’s just let one rip. If he has a flatulence problem that’s hardly going to inspire confidence in the players. 

Looks like she is showing him how she wanks off her cat!

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

This ......I have sat and watched this all unfold , I wasnt onboard at first with the idea of Jesse but i have thought about the rational and looked at the alternatives available to us who would actually likely come (we all would love Poch but it is never happening) I am now comfortable that he is a good fit overall for our style and the players we have  .

Lets get behind him and the team and start singing the Great Escape anthem we have done it many times before at the Dell its doable lets give it crack!

• Like 5

I have this to say. Anyone, and I mean anyone, is better than Nathan Jones. I was willing to give him a chance, but amateur hour started during the World Cup break, and he went down hill from there. We are not in any position to be choosy about our new manager, so if it ends up being JM, then we will be in a place, ten times better than last week. We are down as it stands, and will need a three month manager bounce to stay up.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

So if it Marsch and it's agreed, when will he be announced?  Soon, or after we've lost at Chelsea so he can have a clean slate start? 

he needs to be working with the players before Saturday, every game counts now, we can't afford to let another game go by, he needs to get in there and start unravelling the mess Jones caused, if that means we get a new manager bounce for Saturday, then great

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

So if it Marsch and it's agreed, when will he be announced?  Soon, or after we've lost at Chelsea so he can have a clean slate start? 

The general chatter from our 'media leaks' is that we want him in place for Chelsea.

• Like 2

Thoughts on the contract to the ends of the season? Suits both parties or is Jesse not fancying the championship if we go down? Hopefully he has the motivation to prove himself and we pull off the unthinkable. I’m thinking we will still drop unfortunately but support the appointment.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Thoughts on the contract to the ends of the season? Suits both parties or is Jesse not fancying the championship if we go down? Hopefully he has the motivation to prove himself and we pull off the unthinkable. I’m thinking we will still drop unfortunately but support the appointment.

I think it's the sensible approach you take in a situation like this, for both parties. It allows us all an option to reasses in the summer whatever happens. We did similar with Mark Hugues, but we were way too quick to give him a longer contract in the summer.

• Like 6

Southampton aren’t Leeds, both in terms of historical vanity or personnel.  Been reviewing his teams and previous set ups in US and Europe. If  Marsch picks our best players in his preferred formation I think this could be a good match right now. Likely too late to save us but let’s have a bloody good go! These young players will at least know what he wants and what they should be doing in and out of possession. A further modicum of endearment was finding Marsch’s introductory tackle on golden balls beckham in the US league - a cracker 😀

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

Reasons to be positive- Marsch's approach has worked best against the better teams, who are all we really have left to play...

I think that's the way you beat these better teams to be honest, certainly for clubs like us. That’s why counter pressing is seen as a viable alternative for sides away from the elite, we don’t have the KDB’s or Oddegaard to be the play maker, so alternatively the stress the press causes becomes our playmaker.

The ‘top teams’ want time on the ball and they hate being stressed and crowded around, expectations are on them to find a way through so you often see counter pressing teams that are on it continuously winning the ball back in attacking thirds.

It's how we played at Spurs, in what I thought was our most complete performance under Ralph to be honest. Sure, we conceded two goals but in terms of stressing them and counter pressing we were absolutley on it that day. 

• Like 3

Hope i'm wrong, but Marsch just seems a bit of a Meh appointment.... unless:

1. No-one of a higher caliber will even entertain the idea.

2.The board has accepted we are down or that is the plan 🤷‍♂️

3.Cant think of three

4.Please see above.

If we are simply rolling the dice again, i think id rather take Rooney, he would at least command the respect of the dressing room..

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Roboze said:

3.Cant think of three

4.Please see above.

If we are simply rolling the dice again, i think id rather take Rooney, he would at least command the respect of the dressing room..

I cannot take views seriously where people discount Marsch in one breath, and then as an alternative suggest Wayne Rooney.

I just don't understand how that makes any sense.

• Like 17

Do Saints have a longer term appointment in mind come end of the season? Clearly they are hoping Marsch reproduces his great escape with Leeds last season as the short term goal. If he manages to achieve this would he have contract extension automatically kick in or would it be a thanks Jesse but we want to go down a different path long term?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Do Saints have a longer term appointment in mind come end of the season? Clearly they are hoping Marsch reproduces his great escape with Leeds last season as the short term goal. If he manages to achieve this would he have contract extension automatically kick in or would it be a thanks Jesse but we want to go down a different path long term?

I think as a club they're taking the opportunity to look at the short-term right now, which I think is sensible. Offering anyone a 3-year contract at this stage doesn’t give you any wiggle room in the summer to re-assess.

If he does well, somehow in a crazy reality keeps us up and is sought after elsewhere...then so be it, he's kept us up and we'll have a bigger pool of managers to choose from then.

If he does well enough, but we do go down (the most likely outcome), then we may like what he's instilled and offer him a chance to build something in the championship.

If he totally flops, then we go down, he goes off into the distance and we rebuild with a new approach in the championship and no one is out of pocket. (Apart from us losing TV money!)

I think as fans we cannot judge his success on keeping us up, given the position we are in it's going to be very difficult for anyone to do that - so if we do likely go down then I don't think that automatically equates to him failing in my book.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Roboze said:

3.Cant think of three

4.Please see above.

Like Shearer did at Newcastle? Rooney has achieved nothing of note at any level higher than Jones did. He over achieved with a bunch of Championship underdogs at Derby but other than that...

Marsch is about as okay an appointment as we can expect. Not as good as Ralph, better than Jones or any of Englands 2010 World Cup you might care to nominate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I don't know.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Talk of some toing and froing over contract terms last few days and looks like resolved yesterday. Think likely it’s Marsch being cautious and keeping options open,  but to be honest end of season should suit both parties. JM has something to prove and if he achieves it deserves the offer of an extension or the opportunities elsewhere. 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I cannot take views seriously where people discount Marsch in one breath, and then as an alternative suggest Wayne Rooney.

I just don't understand how that makes any sense.

I wasn't saying we should hire Rooney, Simply that if we are making "might be worth a shot" appointments, Rooney would be an option, i think he will be a good manager at some point...  and advocating Marsch as some kind of wonder manager is ridiculous, he was literally just sacked by Leeds. And it wasn't because of the amazing job he was doing!

• Like 1

For those with plenty of time on their hands today, here's a Jesse Marsch webinar. 

It's refreshing to have a manager who could even begin to talk engagingly about football in general. I think we're going to concede goals, and probably frustratingly easy ones sometimes, but there's a decent chance we'll have a team to be proud of.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Like Shearer did at Newcastle? Rooney has achieved nothing of note at any level higher than Jones did. He over achieved with a bunch of Championship underdogs at Derby but other than that...

Marsch is about as okay an appointment as we can expect. Not as good as Ralph, better than Jones or any of Englands 2010 World Cup you might care to nominate.

I'd like to think we have properly considered Stephen Warnock

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Talk of some toing and froing over contract terms last few days and looks like resolved yesterday. Think likely it’s Marsch being cautious and keeping options open,  but to be honest end of season should suit both parties. JM has something to prove and if he achieves it deserves the offer of an extension or the opportunities elsewhere. 

I was assuming it might have been Marsch who wanted the longer contract, but you think it's the Club who were angling for a longer deal?   End of season is definitely the right call.

Shame Ralph Krueger is not still the Chairman we would have the dream team from N America.

The short contract is intriguing as I would like to think should he do well (even if we get relegated) the six months he would have been here would have been a waste and I think the players would do better if they knew there was a liklehood of him staying longer.

• Like 1

Short contract (obviously with a big survival bonus) also shows that Marsch obviously feels he can come in and make an impact with out squad, otherwise no real reason for him to take it.

I think that should be seen as a positive.

Ultimately for him, and Saints really, its a free hit.

• Like 3

Much happier with Marsch than any of Lampard, Gerrard or Rooney. None of those 3 have shown any real ability in management and have so far managed to get jobs solely based on their reputations as players.

People wanting them claim they would command the respect of the players, but I know for a fact that's not the case with Lampard. At Everton he was aloof and distant, almost as if he just expected the players to respect him because of his own achievements as a player (and that's straight from the mouth of someone in the squad). 

I would much rather have a manager who has a clear pedigree in actual management than either of those three.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Did you go to the same school of metrics as Rasmus?

What metrics would you be referring to exactly? Kept a very average, injury stricken Leeds team up last season, and had them sitting above the relegation zone when he was sacked. What would non-failure look like as Leeds manager?

He took over Leeds when they were 16th, 2 points above the drop zone.  He left them in 17th.  He didn't save them, he merely maintained the status quo and then sent them backwards a season later and was somewhat fortunate that ourselves, Everton (who I expect to rally) and Bournemouth were way way way worse..

His previous team have conceded only 2 less than us, and scored 10 more.  They haven't improved under him and as a result of his failure to improve them, and with fans increasingly on his back, he was fired.  Thus, a failure.  Not that hard to comprehend that really, is it?

Edit: I see that the term is being reported as short term until the end of the season which I am much happier about than the long term, because, in reality I think we're fucked either way.  But at least this gives us some room to manoeuvre come the end of the season and re-assess.

Edited by Greedyfly
  • Like 1

Problem is availability - I’ve no doubt that Ankerson has preferences who quite simply would not come now but may end of season.

appointing Selles until end of season would be waving the white flag, and whilst Marsch chance of keeping us up is minimal, stranger things have happened.

Unless this is Marsch decision (which I doubt), I don’t really like this - giving him a year and a half would show more commitment and low compensation. He’ll be under so much pressure as it is - we’re hardly endorsing his appointment, don’t forget we gave Jones 6 years l, this feels like we’re now going too far the other way.

We need some stability - changing managers every 3 months won’t work for us and I think showing even if we go down we think you can lead us back up would install more confidence / long term planning. If I was Marsch I’d have no problem in freezing out players / ignoring young players / pissing off coaches if I think I’m only there for 3 months no matter what.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Problem is availability - I’ve no doubt that Ankerson has preferences who quite simply would not come now but may end of season.

appointing Selles until end of season would be waving the white flag, and whilst Marsch chance of keeping us up is minimal, stranger things have happened.

Unless this is Marsch decision (which I doubt), I don’t really like this - giving him a year and a half would show more commitment and low compensation. He’ll be under so much pressure as it is - we’re hardly endorsing his appointment, don’t forget we gave Jones 6 years l, this feels like we’re now going too far the other way.

We need some stability - changing managers every 3 months won’t work for us and I think showing even if we go down we think you can lead us back up would install more confidence / long term planning. If I was Marsch I’d have no problem in freezing out players / ignoring young players / pissing off coaches if I think I’m only there for 3 months no matter what.

I think people would also be having a moan if we'd given him a long contract, as if he flops then we've got another payout to consider. 

Nothing in football as as black and white as it seems from the outside. It may not just be ourselves who want to focus on the short term, maybe he is also giving himself a chance to reasses in the summer as there are still lots of chats linking him with the USA job (and given that the next WC is a home WC, it could be a huge pull for him).

• Like 1