Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

39 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not necessarily. Saints might be looking back on the decision to keep Mark Hughes after he kept us up. 

Yes, I thought of that when the news of his contract length broke. I see JM as being a better fit (whichever division we are in) than Hughes was. Still baffles me why they gave him such a long contract when he clearly wasn’t an ideal fit. Given they are still paying off Ralph and Jones, they won’t want another expensive pay-off hanging over us if it doesn’t pan out. 

Guess the short-term deal suits both parties. They can reappraise in the summer. 

Correction: as someone pointed out, I think we DID give Hughes a s/t contract initially. But then awarded him a 3 year contract after keeping us up. Which seems even more baffling, but then that’s Les Reed for you! 

Edited by SW11_Saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

I was assuming it might have been Marsch who wanted the longer contract, but you think it's the Club who were angling for a longer deal?   End of season is definitely the right call.

JM on the clubs radar when he went to Leeds, and that’s why this has happened quickly I feel. It may be that other candidates discussed have been passed over to get this done quickly and lined up for Chelsea. Likely that the end of season contract has come from Marsch or his advisors, club would likely have preferred longer after Jones debacle and it’s ramifications. Maybe Marsch extends during summer whether we scrape up or go down but options kept open - fair enough.

Hughes comparison is interesting as MH didn’t come in until mid-March. JM has got a month longer but a more challenging starting position. I’m actually really interested to see how he gets on and if he can positively engage our players into an organised unit. Somewhat optimistic, that at least we have something to look forward to for the remainder of the season - a sporting chance. COYR! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kermitzasaint said:

I really miss the days when Cortese sold the Saints project, the vision etc.

Now we are supposed to be grateful for a failed and hugely limited coach because we can't get anything better. I have honestly lost all faith in the club now.

I just don't have the energy to care any more. 

Is that the vision he sold to people by using someone elses money, but not actually asking them if he could use it first?

What sort of project can you sell anyone right now - we're two wins from being off of the bottom of the league, look utterly doomed. I'm not sure what you could fluff up and sell to anyone in this current situation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Now we are supposed to be grateful for a failed and hugely limited coach because we can't get anything better. I have honestly lost all faith in the club now.

Saintsweb gold

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

I'm struggling to think who he sold a "vision" or a "project" to - Dani Osvaldo maybe. Everyone else would have come for perfectly standard reasons - money and/or opportunity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Some absolute melts on here 😂 

Just think of it this way. We can’t get any worse can we. It’s only going to be better under JM. 

Even if we keep playing as badly, we don’t have to listen to shit about welsh mining villages and other nonsense 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Clearly we still have a project - it just so happens that it’s Rasmus Ankersen’s undergraduate work experience project! 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I can already see myself getting annoyed by people on this forum, after we lose a couple of games, saying "we were told this guy was the saviour who was going to keep us up"

Jessie Marsch is absolutley nailed on to be relegated with us, we have far too much to do now. He can come in and win his first two games in a row and even if he does that we will probably still be in the bottom 3. We are almost certain to be relegated, but if Marsch can at least get us organised and give the young players some guidance/focus/motivation, then great.

I’m sorry but I don’t buy this at all. We’re 5 points off safety right now. If you want proof that teams in this league are utterly terrible then its being 5 points off safety despite having a goalkeeper who doesn’t save anything, strikers who don’t score goals, defenders unable to stop or defend crosses and a midfield that is dominated even when with a man advantage. We have 16 games remaining. That’s double what we just endured with Jones. Maybe we’re not good enough, maybe we will go down anyway, but it’s absolute bollocks that we’re already down and if Marsch does give us some organisation and the young players some structure and guidance then we have real chance of getting out of this. Seasons are decided with how you finish them, that goes for Champions and relegation. The points needed this season to stay up will be less than other seasons and somehow despite being utterly guff all season we’re still a small well timed run away from getting out of trouble.

It’s baffling that people are just writing off 16 games as if they don’t have to sit through watching it every week and we’re planning for next year. If we go down this year, it’s not going to be some heroic end of the season and we all come out of it inspired by the future of the young players and manager, it’ll be a gruelling end to the season and we’ll look back on it as a chance missed because anyone who stays up over us, will be a piss poor side. Obviously that might happen of course, and yeah we look the most likely to go down right now, but 5 points off, 16 games to go, fuck this idea that we’re already down and certainly fuck this idea that we all just sit through these next 16 games looking for inspiration for next season.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not really happy about the short term contract.  It shows a lack of belief on either him or the club.

Since when does a manager's contract make any difference to how long they stay at a club for?

We could hand him a 10 year contract and he will still be gone in the summer if he is a disaster, or could still be at a bigger club by June if he's brilliant.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not really happy about the short term contract.  It shows a lack of belief on either him or the club.

Well if he's the disaster some think he will be its a good thing, we aren't tied to him or another large payoff.

If we go down the options are either given him a longer deal or look for a manager who knows his way around and out of The Championship (but who doesnt come from a small mining village anywhere near Wales)

If he saves us then there will clearly be negotiations or the club go for the unrealistic targets so many seem to want.....

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Is that the vision he sold to people by using someone elses money, but not actually asking them if he could use it first?

What sort of project can you sell anyone right now - we're two wins from being off of the bottom of the league, look utterly doomed. I'm not sure what you could fluff up and sell to anyone in this current situation.

New big screens? 

1 hour ago, Greedyfly said:

He took over Leeds when they were 16th, 2 points above the drop zone.  He left them in 17th.  He didn't save them, he merely maintained the status quo and then sent them backwards a season later and was somewhat fortunate that ourselves, Everton (who I expect to rally) and Bournemouth were way way way worse..

His previous team have conceded only 2 less than us, and scored 10 more.  They haven't improved under him and as a result of his failure to improve them, and with fans increasingly on his back, he was fired.  Thus, a failure.  Not that hard to comprehend that really, is it?

Edit: I see that the term is being reported as short term until the end of the season which I am much happier about than the long term, because, in reality I think we're fucked either way.  But at least this gives us some room to manoeuvre come the end of the season and re-assess.

They were hurtling towards relegation under Bielsa. You may claim that he maintained the status quo, but his task/mission first and foremost would have been to keep them up, which he succeeded at, whether that be 10th, 14th or 17th as was the case. Yes he has 'failed' to build on that this season, but there have been plenty of positives during his tenure.

He wasn't my number 1 pick either in these circumstances, but he could be a good fit given his style of play and what most of our squad will be used to. It will be an easier transition than what he would have faced at Leeds, following on from Bielsa's regimented style.

21 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Since when does a manager's contract make any difference to how long they stay at a club for?

We could hand him a 10 year contract and he will still be gone in the summer if he is a disaster, or could still be at a bigger club by June if he's brilliant.

Precisely.....how long was Jones contract? Edit....three and a half years.

Edited by miserableoldgit

14 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I’m sorry but I don’t buy this at all. We’re 5 points off safety right now. If you want proof that teams in this league are utterly terrible then its being 5 points off safety despite having a goalkeeper who doesn’t save anything, strikers who don’t score goals, defenders unable to stop or defend crosses and a midfield that is dominated even when with a man advantage. We have 16 games remaining. That’s double what we just endured with Jones. Maybe we’re not good enough, maybe we will go down anyway, but it’s absolute bollocks that we’re already down and if Marsch does give us some organisation and the young players some structure and guidance then we have real chance of getting out of this. Seasons are decided with how you finish them, that goes for Champions and relegation. The points needed this season to stay up will be less than other seasons and somehow despite being utterly guff all season we’re still a small well timed run away from getting out of trouble.

It’s baffling that people are just writing off 16 games as if they don’t have to sit through watching it every week and we’re planning for next year. If we go down this year, it’s not going to be some heroic end of the season and we all come out of it inspired by the future of the young players and manager, it’ll be a gruelling end to the season and we’ll look back on it as a chance missed because anyone who stays up over us, will be a piss poor side. Obviously that might happen of course, and yeah we look the most likely to go down right now, but 5 points off, 16 games to go, fuck this idea that we’re already down and certainly fuck this idea that we all just sit through these next 16 games looking for inspiration for next season.

Baffling?

To stay up we're going to (more than likely) need a minimum 36 points. That's a further 21 points. That's SEVEN wins. Over the course of a season, 7 wins in 16 games is comfortably top-8 form. We only managed 9 league wins in the whole of last season - and only 4 in this. The upturn in form required to attain the minimum 21 points we require just isn't going to happen.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I've read a few posts saying how Marsch will be a good fit for our current players, with the additional note that his style is very similar to Ralphs (likes to high press, often plays a 4-2-2-2 etc). I'm not necessarily disagreeing; personally I'm in favour of a return to that style of play; it's way more interesting to watch when it works than say the Puel era sideways passing and recycling. 

One thing I've not really seen mentioned though, is that we've bought a lot of players recently, many of whom haven't actually trained under Ralph (Orsic, Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tall Paul, Bree) and those that did cross over with him (ABK, Lavia, Edozie, Larios, Aribo, DCC, Mara) trained under the other Ralph "totally-out-of-ideas-5-at-the-back" Hasenhuttl - many of those new names will be the first on the team sheet for a lot of people on this forum

You'd hope that with all those players being utter professionals, hopefully they should pick up the routines pretty quick. I'm just not sure it's as simple as saying "Marsch plays like Ralph; ergo we'll be straight up to speed"

Some of those names look like they'd work great in a high press team. e.g. Sulemana, Orsic are nice and pacy etc for the press. Some not so much. Some of the Man City recruits will probably be okay too, having coached under the City/Pep infrastructure too.

as an aside, I don't mind the 6 month contract too much. If he fails miserably, we can ditch. If he succeeds then we can obviously renegotiate. In the mean time, we get someone who is head and shoulders above Jones, and the board get 6 months to sort out a contingency or two for every possible permutation of surviving/relegation/marsch leaving/not leaving etc.

• Like 2

To my mind Marsch must be pretty confident that he will be a success here if he's willing to accept a short term contract.  Surely he will lose any pay off that's he's receiving from Leeds once he starts another job which would mean that he could sit on his backside doing nothing and being well paid for it.  There must be something about taking on our shower that's appealing if he's willing to give that up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

Paddy Power yet to pay out on my bets he would be appointed, placed after Fareham Saint said don’t believe everything you read on the internet. So maybe he’s right after all. Eek. 

Your obsession is a little creepy now. 

I said “don’t believe everything you read on the internet”. I think most would agree with that in a general sense. 🤣

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Cortese was fantastic though Marcus gave him the keys to run the club how he wanted and you gotta say he did phenomenal.. even the koeman era was imo a offproduct of the solid foundations he laid. It took a while for the work to be destroyed ..

Poch,mitchell everything he brought to the club,we really had it good under him .. I still find it weird fans kinda dismiss him as just someone who spent someone else’s money and that he hardly gets any credit 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Le Timmier said:

Baffling?

To stay up we're going to (more than likely) need a minimum 36 points. That's a further 21 points. That's SEVEN wins. Over the course of a season, 7 wins in 16 games is comfortably top-8 form. We only managed 9 league wins in the whole of last season - and only 4 in this. The upturn in form required to attain the minimum 21 points we require just isn't going to happen.

What we actually need is 1 more point than 3 others. 5 more points than Leeds for example over the next 16 games. You’re just assuming everyone else is getting to your magical 36 points. That involves Leeds getting 17 points or Everton or Bournemouth getting 18 more points. We’ve won the same amount of games than all of them this season. 

What, which I think my post explains, I find baffling is the idea that we’re already down. Not that we will go down, like I said, maybe we’re most likely to go down, but the idea that we just write this season off with 16 games to go is baffling. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Pip said:

To my mind Marsch must be pretty confident that he will be a success here if he's willing to accept a short term contract.  Surely he will lose any pay off that's he's receiving from Leeds once he starts another job which would mean that he could sit on his backside doing nothing and being well paid for it.  There must be something about taking on our shower that's appealing if he's willing to give that up.

That's the way I see it. It's always in the manager's interest to have as long a contract as possible - it's money in the bank.

It's looking very likely that we will go down but there probably is a good enough team in that squad to maybe stay up, problem is Jones has left us in a right cluster-fuck of a mess. He didn't ever know what his best team was or formation. All we knew was that Bazunu, JWP and if fit KWP would start, after that it was just a lottery.

Edited by aintforever

31 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

We'll agree to disagree. 

Saying we're five points behind is a really lazy way of looking at it. Honestly that is loads and loads of points in the position we are in.

We are miles off where we need to be, which for a rule of thumb is one-point-per-game. Even if we win the next three on the spin (dreamland) we still won't even have got to that metric.

We will win some games, but I don't see that we are winning 5 of the next 16 (plus 6 draws, bare minimum to get to 36). We can only afford 5 more defeats in a season where we have already lost 15.

To actually get to a point a game (38) that's at least 2 more draws or a win. So 4 more defeats this season, or just 3 more between now and the end? Really?

Burnley were 3 points off after 38 games but they still went down.

Three teams drop every season, we will be one of them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

What we actually need is 1 more point than 3 others. 5 more points than Leeds for example over the next 16 games. You’re just assuming everyone else is getting to your magical 36 points. That involves Leeds getting 17 points or Everton or Bournemouth getting 18 more points. We’ve won the same amount of games than all of them this season. 

What, which I think my post explains, I find baffling is the idea that we’re already down. Not that we will go down, like I said, maybe we’re most likely to go down, but the idea that we just write this season off with 16 games to go is baffling. 

It's not "my" magical 36 points. It's not a figure plucked out of the air. It's evidence based. It is more-or-less the points total that the team finishing 17th in the EPL usually needs to avoid the drop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That's the way I see it. It's always in the manager's interest ti have as long a contract as possible - it's money in the bank.

It's looking very likely that we will go down but there probably is a good enough team in that squad to maybe stay up, problem is Jones has left us in a right cluster-fuck of a mess. He didn't ever know what his best team was or formation. All we knew was that Bazunu, JWP and if fit KWP would start after that it was just a lottery.

Err, and his mates Bree and Janny B.

If They were going to sack Jones anyway it's such a shame they didn't plan Somone else sooner for the wolves game I think under a different manager we would have had a chance of defending the lead or at least getting a point against the 10 men... To have got nothing is beyond criminal 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

If Adams converted a quarter of rhe chances he's fucked up this season, we'd comfortably be around 10th by now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

It makes complete sense and ensures neither party are stuck in a situation they don't want to be in.

I agree makes sense, he keeps us up which is unlikely he earns a chance at a full season, he doesn't and we aren't stuck with high wages for an extended amount of time 

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I only have one question - where does it say he's only getting a short term contract? I've not actually seen that anywhere but it is being discussed here like it is gospel.

Sky news article has it mentioned; obviously doesn't mean it's legit though - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12810313/jesse-marsch-on-verge-of-becoming-southampton-manager-a-week-after-being-sacked-by-leeds

Sky Sports News understands Marsch would be happy to sign a short-term deal, which also suits Southampton"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Le Timmier said:

Baffling?

Leicester won SEVEN of their remaining 9 league games to stay up in the 2014/15 season. After 29 games they were on 19 points and 7 points from safety. Finished the season on 41 points. Not saying we'll replicate this but football's a funny ol' game.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I only have one question - where does it say he's only getting a short term contract? I've not actually seen that anywhere but it is being discussed here like it is gospel.

I asked the same question this morning. Then an hour or so later it popped up that it’s only a short term deal to the end of the season.

I think some news outlets are jumping on the bandwagon now.
My guess is short term to end of the season with an option to extended its right for both parties.

Better off just waiting until the announcement. 😊

48 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Well if he's the disaster some think he will be its a good thing, we aren't tied to him or another large payoff.

If we go down the options are either given him a longer deal or look for a manager who knows his way around and out of The Championship (but who doesnt come from a small mining village anywhere near Wales)

If he saves us then there will clearly be negotiations or the club go for the unrealistic targets so many seem to want.....

So either the club are covering themselves because they don’t have much faith in him, or he is covering himself as he doesn’t have much faith in the club.

Like I said, I’m not happy with that.

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I asked the same question this morning. Then an hour or so later it popped up that it’s only a short term deal to the end of the season.

I think some news outlets are jumping on the bandwagon now.
My guess is short term to end of the season with an option to extended its right for both parties.

Better off just waiting until the announcement. 😊

The Press clearly met with Marsch this morning to do write ups to match with whenever the club announcement is...

edit: obviously incorrect

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Can’t really blame either party for that. 

Isn’t the USA national team job still available ? If so, he might have one eye on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I'm struggling to think who he sold a "vision" or a "project" to - Dani Osvaldo maybe. Everyone else would have come for perfectly standard reasons - money and/or opportunity.

Not true.  Whether it was realistic or not players were buying in to 'the project' There were several examples of personal interviews that players such as Wanyama, Lovren and even Boruc gave at the time where they were speaking of CL ambition.

For the past 5 or so seasons the club's only ambition is not to be relegated which means we will never attract players better than this level.

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

So either the club are covering themselves because they don’t have much faith in him, or he is covering himself as he doesn’t have much faith in the club.

Like I said, I’m not happy with that.

Seems quite a sensible way of doing IMO. Come the end of the season, things can then be looked at with a bit less urgency. Big thing here, is that he's free (ie not having to quit a job) and that there's presently only his old club that has a vacancy. 

As for the club covering themselves, all reports are that they have been tracking him for a while.  If they didn't have faith, then they could leave Selles in place

Talks between Southampton and Jesse Marsch have broken down. Club not keen on a long-term contract given current situation. Ruben Selles to take Chelsea game and club still see him as a viable longer-term option, potentially with a more experienced coach. Story to follow...Jeremy Wilson

Edited by Give it to Ron

"Ruben Selles to take Chelsea game and club still see him as a viable longer-term option, potentially with a more experienced coach"

This worries me. I wasn't wild about Marsch but I think putting our survival hopes on Selles is extremely risky.. At least Marsch has been there and done it.

Hmmm 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Le Timmier said:

Baffling?

this is it. We've won 4 games in 22, even if Marsch improves us I just can't see how it will be to any level where we win nearly half of our games. So I'm not really buying the 'still 16 games, it's not over' argument. We've just had our 'winnable' run of fixtures and it's been a disaster. Are we now going to get a few wins and a couple of draws against top 8 teams?