Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

18 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

jesse.png

And this, Ladies & Gentlemen, is where it all went wrong

(JM - American accent) "Hi Babe, this place looks totally awesome, do you have a vacancy?"

(Receptionist - English accent) "Yes Sir. You can have nice Mr Jones's room. He checked out suddenly yesterday. A nice gentleman. He was from a Welsh mining village you know"

(JM) "Right, I'll take it. How long is my contract for on this room?"

(Receptionist) "One night Sir"

(JM) "WHAT? One goddamn freakin' cotton-pickin' night. I want it for three and a half goddamn years"

(Receptionist) "That's not possible sir. We can only give it to you for one night, and you need to check out by 11am"

(JM) "BULLSHIT Ma'am. I am from the U.S. of A I'll have you know. We bought your London Bridge and saved you in the War."

(Receptionist) "That's as may be Sir, but one night it is or not at all. And I would ask that you don't speak to me in that tone".

(JM) "Well okay. How about I give you a nice pair of nylons. I'm sure we could then arrange for me to have that little ol' room for three and a half years".

(Receptionist) "It's not possible I'm afraid"

(JM) "Well can you organize a burger and fries sent up to my room".

(Receptionist) "Not at this hour Sir, the chef has gone home"

(JM) "Wow! This place is a Goddamn piece of shit. I ain't staying. You can shove your cotton-pickin' room up yer ass lady. I'm going back to Leeds City".

JM storms out never to be seen again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well that's odd, I assumed this was all done. The short-term thing makes more sense to us, than to him - maybe.

But I can see why we were keen on a short-term deal from our side.

Possibly  had implications for his severance from Leeds, which he wanted compensation for one way or another.

Doubt it was as simple as we are lead to believe in the media snippets. 

• Like 1

As I said in an earlier post, this whole thing smelt like we didn’t really want him and had other targets for the summer. Think JM realised that too and rightly didn’t fancy it.

After that fiasco assume it’s Selles until whomever it is becomes available. Just hoping he’s competent enough not to cause any more damage. But of a two fingered salute to the fans though - ‘we’ve given up on this season but still want your support’. Also puts even more pressure on securing this new target quickly in the summer for the championship. 
Feels like another unnecessary mess to me

On 14/02/2023 at 12:45, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Jesse Marsch or Jess Thorup?!

I am happy to get behind Marsch if we are indeed about to appoint him, but I can't say I am excited by his appointment!

I am hoping that this is all based on a rumour that sprung from someone hearing the name 'Jesse' mentioned by someone on the board. I am hoping that rather than appointing Jesse Marsch the board are planning instead to appoint Jess Thorup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Thorup

Jess Thorup is (I have read) known to Ankerson and has brilliant stats in terms of wins - over 50% in most of his managerial career. He is also currently without a club.

Please, please, please, let our imminent appointment be Jess Thorup rather than Jesse Marsch!!! :D

36 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Interesting Selles was assistant under him at Copenhagen.

So, how come we have not heard any news of the club approaching Thorup? Do you think maybe they have spoken informally to him and he has said that he is not interested? Or might it be that the club are scared of approaching a manager with no Premier League experience after what happened when they appointed Jones? Personally, I think the lack of Premier League experience is less significant than his tactical nous. If he is the sort of manager that plays a high-pressing, fast-countering game and who already knows Selles then wouldn't he be an ideal candidate bearing in mind his stats?

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Typo/auto-correct on Selles name!

I am not sure everyone is grasping what an absolute clusterfuck this is from the club, whether you wanted Marsch or not.  Think of it like this…..

- If you wanted him, offering him just six months reeks of lack of confidence, disrespectful, why would you accept that if you were Marsch?   Why not offer 18 months and pay him off in summer (only one year) after sacking him?  So now everyone else knows that they are not really wanted by the club and will only be interviewed or, in the case of Selles, given interim role because we have been turned down by our first choice.

- if you don’t want him, then why have club allowed it publicly to be known he was preferred choice?  You may be pleased he isn’t coming, but whoever we get will be appointed with everyone knowing, including the players, that they were not wanted.

What a mess, and that is after Jones was offered a multi year deal as recently as November!  It is great that they spend money on players but I am rapidly losing confidence in judgement of Sports Republic who seem themselves woefully out of their depth

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Been avoiding footy news today as I assumed it was a done. Happy if as seems, that board refused to be bounced into a panicky long term deal.

Let's hope you won't be disappointed by who we appoint instead and also hope Jessie Marsch doesn't pitch up somewhere else and do a good job.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

I predict we get 2 or 3 more losses under Selles and then go crawling back with an improved offer, meeting his demands and again, SR would have wasted more time and we'll have been all but relegated at that stage.

Why would we do that? If we lose a couple under selles it is even more reason to wait & focus on getting the right man in the summer rather than making an expensive panic return to marsch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forester said:

I am not sure everyone is grasping what an absolute clusterfuck this is from the club, whether you wanted Marsch or not.  Think of it like this…..

- If you wanted him, offering him just six months reeks of lack of confidence, disrespectful, why would you accept that if you were Marsch?   Why not offer 18 months and pay him off in summer (only one year) after sacking him?  So now everyone else knows that they are not really wanted by the club and will only be interviewed or, in the case of Selles, given interim role because we have been turned down by our first choice.

- if you don’t want him, then why have club allowed it publicly to be known he was preferred choice?  You may be pleased he isn’t coming, but whoever we get will be appointed with everyone knowing, including the players, that they were not wanted.

What a mess, and that is after Jones was offered a multi year deal as recently as November!  It is great that they spend money on players but I am rapidly losing confidence in judgement of Sports Republic who seem themselves woefully out of their depth

It's all speculation at this point, but I personally didn't see the problem of a 6 month deal with numerous options in the summer - there are ways to build a deal like that by not seeming disrespectful.

I think there is something else that has moved the goal posts here, whether that's him willing to give up a pay off at Leeds or us unwilling to cover that cost - no idea, but I think something else has gone down in addition to the 'short term' chatter we see. The 'verbal' agreement would have been on the understanding that it was a short term deal, today was the finer trimmings of any contract and that's where it's fallen down.

But basically, as you've said, it's an absolute cluster fuck because we've come out of this with our dirty laundry plastered all over the media - again. 

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, Badger said:

Possibly  had implications for his severance from Leeds, which he wanted compensation for one way or another.

Doubt it was as simple as we are lead to believe in the media snippets. 

That's a very good point. His Leeds contract is apparently until 2025 and £3.5m a year. If we're only offering until June 2023 it even 2024, I can't blame him for walking away from us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's all speculation at this point, but I personally didn't see the problem of a 6 month deal with numerous options in the summer - there are ways to build a deal like that by not seeming disrespectful.

I think there is something else that has moved the goal posts here, whether that's him willing to give up a pay off at Leeds or us willing to cover that cost - no idea, but I think something else has gone down in addition to the 'short term' chatter we see. The 'verbal' agreement would have been on the understanding that it was a short term deal, today was the finer trimmings of any contract and that's where it's fallen down.

But basically, as you've said, it's an absolute cluster fuck because we've come out of this with our dirty laundry plastered all over the media - again. 

I would think the longer a prospective new manager spends talking to Ankersen and Semmens the more alarm bells would ring. Maybe he was put off by those two.

• Like 3

Well, this is a turn-up for the books. 

Would have been a good choice I feel personally - no one else that's available (and attainable) has a particularly better CV, or would likely come in on a short contract. Surely it'd be easy enough to put in a break clause at the end of the season.

Unfortunately, Ankersen seems like he has the arrogance, but real lack of intellect needed to do his role. Some people just seem to like the smell of their own farts... 

car man GIF by South Park

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Let's hope you won't be disappointed by who we appoint instead and also hope Jessie Marsch doesn't pitch up somewhere else and do a good 

You could say the same about all the other managers people have been turning their noses up based on their poor past records. They are all 1 good job away from being geniuses. Doubt they could disappoint me more than marsch, lol, but guess we'll see.

Well shit, these players need to start managing their own fucking performances then if all they are gonna do is moan at every appointment. Guess the worst culprits and bigger ego’s will fuck off along with the fair weather fans when we hit the championship,  from there we can hopefully rebuild and enjoy it a lot more.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Oggmonster said:

Leicester won SEVEN of their remaining 9 league games to stay up in the 2014/15 season. After 29 games they were on 19 points and 7 points from safety. Finished the season on 41 points. Not saying we'll replicate this but football's a funny ol' game.

And of course, they then went on to win the league. Not saying we'll replicate that but football's a funny old game!

33 minutes ago, Roboze said:

As i alluded to earlier, the players want a manager they respect..... 

Since when do a group of failing managers get to dictate which manager they have coming into manage them? The majority won't be here next year anyway so what they think of a new manager really isn't of any great importance. 

1 minute ago, Roboze said:

just a hunch, doesn't always have to be a source, people are able to form their own opinions fella 

Sure, but when putting forward an opinion people don’t usually post it as though it’s a fact

e.g. ”I reckon the players want” as opposed to “the players want”

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Get Ralphy baby back.... Did I really say that? Shhhh 😜

It's ridiculous that it's got to that stage, but it wouldn't be a bad shout. It won't happen though, that ship sailed and you never go back.

But how we managed that separation was disgusting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

apparently the players had a bit of a say on Marsch and said they didn’t think it was a good idea. 

Maybe if these players had sorted their own shit out then we wouldn't be having these chats and they'd still be playing for Ralph.

I don't believe the level of detail in terms of the players vetoing this by the way, but I don't think they are in any position to dictate who or what they want. They're a major part of the reason we're in this shit.

• Like 1