Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

4 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Have you forgotten what SR said last week about the players morale being rock bottom at the end of Ralph’s reign? And you want to bring him back? Seriously? I don’t want to be rude but your suggestion is madness and there is a lot of insanity around at present. We do not need more. 

They also said it was fabulous under Jones, which is either a load of bollocks or team harmony doesn't seem to matter that much when it comes to results.

I just want someone who knows what they're doing, quite frankly. He's had 3 months off, refreshed himself. It's not complete madness. I never actually said he'd agree, just that they should ask. The alternatives are even worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

See that to me is over reacting, it's a negotiation over a couple of days and one party has pulled out in the last knockings, before an announcement was made. That's it, no big deal.

Everything else you said is speculation and hyperbole.

Nice condescending post mate, however several much better informed  people were giving updates that painted a different pictures than yours. Unless you are Ankerson or very close to him your opinion is more hypothetical even than many on here….

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

If there is even a semblance of truth in it, they can all f()ck off. Biggest bunch of losers we’ve ever assembled. 

I don’t think this is true but You’ve got to laugh though haven’t you. A collection of the biggest bunch of under performing tossers you’ve ever seen dictating to their bosses who they’ll work for. They’ve haven’t worked for any of the other two they’ve had, lunatics have taken over the asylum 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

Busy day so just catching up.

So: I think I'm really pissed off that JM isn't joining: a decent manager who would take us forward. The board is a fucking joke.

But also: three days ago I was really pissed off that we were considering JM, a clown of a manager who would take us down. The board is a fucking joke.

I may be being somewhat indecisive this week. Or perhaps I'm not.

9/10 of us feeling this exactly 🤣

• Like 4

1 hour ago, manji said:

The mass hysteria on here is beyond belief. Firstly people have got to realise Twitter is not a news source the only way to use it properly is to block any dodgy news source most of the are just parroting another rumour and it snowballs. 
This is a good example “ Jesse Marsch is on the verge of becoming the new Southampton manager, according to breaking press reports 🗞️ “ (according to breaking rumours ).

Secondly we don’t in anyway know the reason why we appointed Nathan Jones. Next we come to the fact we rightly sacked him and are looking for a good manager. Again Twitter nonsense about Jesse. At no stage did Southampton say he was definitely going to be our manager. I would imagine we did interview him but he didn’t reject us, like many negotiations neither side came to an agreement.

cue bed wetting “ we’ve been rejected by Leeds failure “ “ laughing stock “ definite relegation “ just parroting other posts on here.

Bottom line is we are looking for the right manager end of……..

I really don’t think many on here understand how social media works most of them are looking for clicks on posts which they get paid for,

im fairly sure a Twitter post saying Southampton are looking for a new manager would get many clicks.

Bit like when you said all the noise about Jones being manager was coming for his/Luton’s end, yes?

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you think the club captain isn't sounded out about a new managers, who then speaks to the players to judge the pulse of the situation, then perhaps your a little deluded, player power is unfortunately a big part of the game now, you could appoint a top draw manager, but if the players don't want to play for him, its not hard for them to manipulate the situation....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roboze said:

If you think the club captain isn't sounded out about a new managers, who then speaks to the players to judge the pulse of the situation, then perhaps your a little deluded, player power is unfortunately a big part of the game now, you could appoint a top draw manager, but if the players don't want to play for him, its not hard for them to manipulate the situation....

Seriously? The players all agreed Jones was the absolute fucking best we could do?

I suspect the pulse of the players needs a drastic intervention if that's the case.

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Seriously? The players all agreed Jones was the absolute fucking best we could do?

I suspect the pulse of the players needs a drastic intervention if that's the case.

I said "sounded out", maybe they didn't want Jones, hence why no-one put in much of shift while he was here.... and maybe the board don't want to go down that road again... just a thought.... 

2 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

At last some are comming around to the view Ralph was not so bad , as said those Saints fans wanting him sacked are reeping the relegation rewards their memories of 4 years before them had failed .. We were a relegation case for seasons before Ralph arrived and he never had us near the bottom 3 ... As I said be-careful what you wish for ..

I would have the guy back tomorrow ..

Weston  Saint .. you are a clueless twat !

No whats the International code for Austria once again ?

good old ralph, he only failed to win 11 of the last 14 games he was in charge. Bring back the good old days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaturdayGirl said:

At last some are comming around to the view Ralph was not so bad , as said those Saints fans wanting him sacked are reeping the relegation rewards their memories of 4 years before them had failed .. We were a relegation case for seasons before Ralph arrived and he never had us near the bottom 3 ... As I said be-careful what you wish for ..

I would have the guy back tomorrow ..

Weston  Saint .. you are a clueless twat !

No whats the International code for Austria once again ?

We ain't reaping the rewards of Ralph being sacked. We're reaping the rewards of Ralph creating a losing culture, the club taking too long to sack him, then replacing him with an utter Muppet, then taking too long to sack that Muppet. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

Busy day so just catching up.

So: I think I'm really pissed off that JM isn't joining: a decent manager who would take us forward. The board is a fucking joke.

But also: three days ago I was really pissed off that we were considering JM, a clown of a manager who would take us down. The board is a fucking joke.

I may be being somewhat indecisive this week. Or perhaps I'm not.

To be honest, leeds fan here in peace.

You have had a lucky escape. He is more than a bit of a fake, taken us backwards in a year with better players and much much worse football and the fitness levels at the club is now a problem, something wed got used to thinking we could last the full 90 at full bore, is no more.

On top of that had backing more than he deserved from the leeds support home and away.

Its a myth hes suffered an xenophobic response or been straddled by the ghost of Biesla.

He had support, from board and fans at games.

Blamed everyone else but himself and was performative beyond sense, calling the players scared on the touchline whilst not being willing to say thank you to travelling fans after defeats.

Also the odd habit of celebrating defeats, which didnt go down well.

Ive seen a lot following leeds in the last 50 years, good and bad and sometimes just plain mad and whilst hes not the most crazy or unfit to do the job we've had he is one of the worst for the level he was managing.

Pound for pound hes right up there in our shit managers list.

Im upset in a way that we wont be facing him at Elland road whilst i have no doubt in our ability to lose a game, we would have had a great chance against his "penisball" tactics and the acres of space he left on both flanks for opposing teams to waltz into.

Edited by smoke
  • Like 11

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

good old ralph, he only failed to win 11 of the last 14 games he was in charge. Bring back the good old days

amen.The fans that rue his departure can not have travelled to the Burnley or Brentford games at the end of last season. Absolute shit shows. And they were two of many. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Remember when we really needed a striker and didn’t get one despite supposedly having deals very close, well change the word striker for manager. 

i think that ship briefly docked in December, and is now floundering somewhere  of the bermuda triangle..................

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I don’t think this is true but You’ve got to laugh though haven’t you. A collection of the biggest bunch of under performing tossers you’ve ever seen dictating to their bosses who they’ll work for. They’ve haven’t worked for any of the other two they’ve had, lunatics have taken over the asylum 

It is half true, not a mutiny though. 

If I was to say, where are the teams strengths right now, what would u say. That was the issue

18 minutes ago, James G said:

It is half true, not a mutiny though. 

If I was to say, where are the teams strengths right now, what would u say. That was the issue

Losing games of football? Number 1 strength is probably throwing away leads though, I can't think of a better team in Europe at that.

There are probably more strengths, but that's all that spring to mind right now.

5 hours ago, saintant said:

Not sure I believe this but, if true, it again reflects poorly on SR.

Indeed.

4 hours ago, Roboze said:

As i alluded to earlier, the players want a manager they respect..... 

They must've been elated when Nathan Jones walked through the door.

Joint wank in the dressing room lads, we've got the Luton Manager! HOOOOFFF!!!

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That's clearly bollocks. 

Certainly. If there is any truth to it at all, we're supposed to believe they all had nothing to say about the prospect of appointing the worst manager in Saints and Premier League history, when it was obvious to one and all what a clusterfuck that was going to be. I don't think so.

5 hours ago, Grim Reaper said:

We can be pretty confident that article is rubbish tbh. They're not convinced by JM but were happy to see Jones hired, and dressing room moral improved? Ditto no one ever said they didn't like the tactics under Ralph, Marsch's are basically the same. 

Also, we're bottom of the league - the players aren't thinking about any "project" other than staying up and maintaining their wages... 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roboze said:

Guess I'm a little deluded then because this definitely doesnt happen at some other clubs

• Sad 1

Having no insight of any kind .... suggestion for what could have happened here:

Marsch signed a 3 year deal at Leeds, 2 years ago. Rumoured to be worth £15M, ie £5M/ year. 

With 2 years left to run, it's possible that he's in line for the remaining £10M.  It's possible there's a clause that they don't have to pay if he gets another job. 

It's understandable that Saints are unwilling to pay that off before committing to a new contract for him, and understandable that he wouldn't walk away from £10M for a 6 month deal worth (£2M?).

Edited by timbatop
  • Like 3

Slightly disappointed that SR are seemingly not acting decisively as I’d come to the conclusion that JM could be a good fit. However, I’d also come to the conclusion that keeping Selles at the helm until end of season was not a bad idea from the Boards POV, particularly when relegation is pretty much nailed on.

However, I don’t believe Selles is going to be able to coach/manage the team to any level of consistency…I think he’s been too close to the players. And the game(s) he’s taken charge of already have been poor.

Where now?  Who the hell knows…it’s like trying to predict the weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timbatop said:

Having no insight of any kind .... suggestion for what could have happened here:

Marsch signed a 3 year deal at Leeds, 2 years ago. Rumoured to be worth £15M, ie £5M/ year. 

With 2 years left to run, it's possible that he's in line for the remaining £10M.  It's possible there's a clause that they don't have to pay if he gets another job. 

It's understandable that Saints are unwilling to pay that off before committing to a new contract for him, and understandable that he wouldn't walk away from £10M for a 6 month deal worth (£2M?).

If that's true why couldn't Saints and Leeds come to an agreement, a one-year rolling contract for Marsch here, and if it terminates after a year Leeds pays up the remaining year he's out of work. They (Leeds) would save one of the two years compensation, and possibly both if Marsch remains beyond the first year. Leeds of course have no obligation and can refuse, but they know if Marsch won't accept a short term Saints deal without it, then they will be left paying out the full two years. Seems like a win-win-win for everyone.

9 hours ago, captainchris said:

Nice condescending post mate, however several much better informed  people were giving updates that painted a different pictures than yours. Unless you are Ankerson or very close to him your opinion is more hypothetical even than many on here….

I don't see what's patronising about my reply, i have a different opinion that is all.

And I haven't painted a picture, that's my point we don't know what the reason for the deal to break down was. We were close to a short term deal, then something happened.

As has been said on here there is plenty of stuff that SR have fucked up and losing out on an average manager for a short term deal is way down the list for me.

5 hours ago, timbatop said:

I don’t work in football administration but anyone who does should have been able to anticipate this scenario (and others) before Jessie Marsch even got on the M1 to come down. He only got sacked two weeks ago so would definitely still be being paid by Leeds.

Obviously whatever they tried to negotiate wasn't enough for us or him.

Really I think the error is the club are far too leaky and chatty to pet journalists/contacts. The over confident briefings yesterday morning I think were an avoidable mistake.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I don’t work in football administration but anyone who does should have been able to anticipate this scenario (and others) before Jessie Marsch even got on the M1 to come down. He only got sacked two weeks ago so would definitely still be being paid by Leeds.

Obviously whatever they tried to negotiate wasn't enough for us or him.

Really I think the error is the club are far too leaky and chatty to pet journalists/contacts. The over confident briefings yesterday morning I think were an avoidable mistake.

Maybe it's on JM, maybe he was happy with a short term deal and that we thought it was all done and dusted. Then at the last knockings he wanted a longer deal, or he wouldn't come without his team or he wouldn't work with Selles, or he wanted a bigger signing on bonus or something. Maybe he thought he could draw us in, then we would be happy/have to change the terms of the deal. All speculation because we don't know yet.

The Dyche deal took a while to conclude and I think I read on twitter that Everton just wanted him on a short term deal initially, then he held out. Moyes refused to go back to West Ham on a short term deal. 

• Like 2

I suspect that compensation for his termination by Leeds hasn’t been agreed yet. Contractually they have to pay him out but there is the issue of mitigating his loss. This might very well have had a part to play in this. I wouldn’t be surprised that JM instead of backing himself at Saints he got greedy.

2 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

I suspect that compensation for his termination by Leeds hasn’t been agreed yet. Contractually they have to pay him out but there is the issue of mitigating his loss. This might very well have had a part to play in this. I wouldn’t be surprised that JM instead of backing himself at Saints he got greedy.

Indeed.

But it's a two way street and I imagine that Saints (finally), have done their maths as well.  Let's say they gave in and offered a two year deal (which is likely to have mitigated JM's contract losses from Leeds), he accepts and is piss poor meaning he gets the boot at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, The Welsh Wonderkind and the Austrian Klopp are still living life to the max and not bothering to look for a new role, leaving Saints to pay the wages of THREE ex managers as well as having to fork out for a FOURTH when a new one is appointed.  All that whilst in the Championship!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

I've no doubt that his Leeds contract was a factor. However, there's mitigating loss and then there's taking a 3-6 month contract when you're contracted for 27-30 months. I wouldn't be surprised that the club instead of backing JM with a contract beyond this season showed typical naivety and JM understandably walked away to the comfort blanket of his Leeds contract. I can't see any credible way of bouncing this onto JM.

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jayrivers said:

So two days ago Marsch was useless, tactically inept, and a terrible appointment and it means the board have given up and it's a shamble, and we may as well have Selles in charge because the players really like him...

Today, the board are useless and have given up because we couldn't sign the manager that everyone thought was useless and would 100% take us down... 

If they don't see him as a long term solution at present, and he doesn't want a shorter term contract or a contract with clauses, then it's probably better to part ways. Personally he wouldn't have been my choice given his recent history, particularly at Leipzig, but I was happy to give him a chance given our predicament. However I don't think "missing out" on him is the be all and end all. 

Selles was brought in as a potential long term replacement for Ralph. I don't think rushing out to get a manager that may not save us from relegation anyway and just cause more issues is the right thing to do (I'm not saying that is or isn't Marsch). If the right person comes along then great! 

Indeed. He wasn't my choice either or anywhere near it. We've been spared another fiasco.

• Like 2