Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Just now, Forester said:

Bazanu

KWP, Bednarek, ABK, Perraud

AMN, Lavia

JWP, Stuart

Tall Paul, Kamaldeen

I think it'll be that, but possibly with AMN ahead of KWP or even on the left in place of Ely with S Armstrong staying on the right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

I think you're confusing me mate. If you're referring to the Chelsea game, I watched it. Anyways, happy to ignore you, please pay me the same respect. 

This new login of yours is in danger of becoming as tedious as your previous one by the way. 

Who was his previous login? The geezer’s current login has been posting on here since 2006, so it’s a long game of deception going on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

I’m driving up Saturday. Any advice on parking? I parked near the ground last time and it was a bit of a nightmare getting out. Thanks

Give yourself some extra time, the Sirat Expressway going through Nonthaburi and Pathum Thani can be a nightmare on a Saturday afternoon. Those Tuk Tuks have no mercy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Who was his previous login? The geezer’s current login has been posting on here since 2006, so it’s a long game of deception going on.

Many of these sleeper/alternative logins have been around for years. Then you notice certain prominent posters fade away and the sleeper/alternative login suddenly getting prominent. That account has had 2000 ish posts in over 16 years, then boom, loads and loads. 

• Haha 1

So what are we thinking about Javi Gracia looking likely to be Leeds manager for this game? I think I read that we beat his Watford team 1-0 when he managed them for the first time? I would have preferred to be facing a managerless Leeds, Gracia’s record is mid table (and a cup final), but seems to average 1 year at a club and has a mixed bag elsewhere.

I read an interesting article on AMN yesterday - can't find it now but basically it debated whether he could do a job for Arsenal. The writer raved over his performance against Chelsea and stated that they tried 3 forwards down his side and AMN saw them all off by outmuscling them and bullying them. There were also details of his stats for the game which were very good. I can't judge because I didn't see the whole game but generally the opinions on here about AMN vary from being lazy/useless through to being good. Merson also raved about him on Sky on Saturday. So, should he retain his spot at right back even if KWP is fully fit? I think he will if Ruben Selles saw the things the writer of the article saw. Trouble is, most of us would like to see KWP in the side. Which leads me to wonder whether KWP could replace Elyounoussi and play in front of Perraud on the left side. I think they'd be a great pair and KWP is better going forward, dribbling and creating than Elyounoussi. Having said that, for the Leeds game I'd play KWP on the right of midfield and Stu on the left because I think he'd help AMN against their young speedy winger so I'd go for;

Baz

AMN ABK Salisu Perraud

JWP Lavia

KWP Stu

Tall Paul Kamaldeen

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

So what are we thinking about Javi Gracia looking likely to be Leeds manager for this game? I think I read that we beat his Watford team 1-0 when he managed them for the first time? I would have preferred to be facing a managerless Leeds, Gracia’s record is mid table (and a cup final), but seems to average 1 year at a club and has a mixed bag elsewhere.

Pleased it’s not Rafa.  He would get them more organised in a couple of days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

I read an interesting article on AMN yesterday - can't find it now but basically it debated whether he could do a job for Arsenal. The writer raved over his performance against Chelsea and stated that they tried 3 forwards down his side and AMN saw them all off by outmuscling them and bullying them. There were also details of his stats for the game which were very good. I can't judge because I didn't see the whole game but generally the opinions on here about AMN vary from being lazy/useless through to being good. Merson also raved about him on Sky on Saturday. So, should he retain his spot at right back even if KWP is fully fit? I think he will if Ruben Selles saw the things the writer of the article saw. Trouble is, most of us would like to see KWP in the side. Which leads me to wonder whether KWP could replace Elyounoussi and play in front of Perraud on the left side. I think they'd be a great pair and KWP is better going forward, dribbling and creating than Elyounoussi. Having said that, for the Leeds game I'd play KWP on the right of midfield and Stu on the left because I think he'd help AMN against their young speedy winger so I'd go for;

Baz

AMN ABK Salisu Perraud

JWP Lavia

KWP Stu

Tall Paul Kamaldeen

Thought he played well against Chelsea, and tbf surprisingly well as a CB for Jones, but for most of the season he's been mediocre. KWP is our best RB, imprtant as an attacker.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, saintant said:

Baz

AMN ABK Salisu Perraud

JWP Lavia

KWP Stu

Tall Paul Kamaldeen

I see Dean Hammond is also full of praise for AMN's performance on his podcast.

On 20/02/2023 at 10:13, petermcpete said:

If anyone is looking, I have a spare adult ticket for Leeds - if anyone wants it, please message me. Price is £31.50 so face value + booking fee. Am midlands based so ideally would meet before the game.

2 hours ago, kenneth_kenobi said:

Anyone got a spare ticket to sell to me?  Thanks

Kenneth meet Peter. Peter meet Kenneth.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

On 20/02/2023 at 08:10, saintscottofthenortham said:

Can’t fathom how the club took that allocation. We took 2,500 there in Championship FFS.

Surely a question for summer Fans Forum, as this isn’t the first time we’ve taken minimum allocation and sold it out in a blink. 

I expect they thought there would be less fans singing Nathan Jones your football is shit

6 hours ago, goodymatt said:

that fact he lasted 18 months and 66 games at Watford is pretty impressive these days.

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

I am not sure the 1300 is correct. Is anyone in block B4, C15, C16 or C17 ? If so we have more than 1300 for sure.

According to footballgroundguide.com: "1,566 seats in the upper tier and if required then a further 1104 seats can be provided in the lower tier, making the overall allocation 2,670."

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

According to footballgroundguide.com: "1,566 seats in the upper tier and if required then a further 1104 seats can be provided in the lower tier, making the overall allocation 2,670."

I think that may be from when they were in the Championship, looks like they now give the required 3,000 in the PL.

Just Googled to see what it throws up and saw Bournemouth took the first allocation which was just over 2,000 when they went there in November, I can't believe we'd accept less if that's what is available initially and entitled to.

AFCB - Official Club Website

41 minutes ago, 100%Red&White said:

I think that may be from when they were in the Championship, looks like they now give the required 3,000 in the PL.

Just Googled to see what it throws up and saw Bournemouth took the first allocation which was just over 2,000 when they went there in November, I can't believe we'd accept less if that's what is available initially and entitled to.

yeah, the Barnsley website here (2022 information) says the top tier is 2008 tickets. 803 for the lower.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/leeds-further-allocation/

I've not been to Elland Road since they moved the away fans to the John Style stand. If the away team just sells the top tier (I assume that has been the case with us of most occasions), do they sell the lower tier to home fans? 

If I recall properly, KWP had one of those games last year when he had the freedom to roam midfield and after the match he suggested he could play No 10 if required. It was when Tino was occupying the RB slot. I really think KWP has the ability to play midfield and would see him as a great counter attacking option. Put him in for Eli and we lose none of Eli’s defensive benefits.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 100%Red&White said:

Big day out for those weirdos though.

Would have been nice if Leeds had kept their caretaker manager and with Leeds now appointing Javi Gracia I am maybe not as confident as I was!

my pessimistic side: could Leeds get a boost with a new man coming in? Also one interesting thing I have seen from Rubén’s time in charge is an interview with one of his previous bosses from Denmark when he was assistant - apparently they chatted pre Chelsea and Ruben discussed his plan against Chelsea which apparently went text book. So it feels like he is meticulously on how an opponent plays. Is the new Leeds guy throwing his match prep into the bin!

The optimist: Ruben is a Valencia fan - am sure he was tactically analysing Gracia’s time there as much as we analyse our team. So hopefully he has a feeling how he might play… our analysts have 3 days to dig up analysis .. Gracia will only have 3 days of training with Leeds - much he can do other than change the mentality? Leeds against Everton felt like they had given up, it feels like a good time to play them. 

so good time to play them or unfortunate timing - we will see on Saturday! But as Ruben said, we have a pulse and we are fighting!! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

I am not sure the 1300 is correct. Is anyone in block B4, C15, C16 or C17 ? If so we have more than 1300 for sure.

Yeah I was told up at Newcastle we'd taken the smaller allocation (tickets went on sale next day) , maybe it changed later on. 

Unusually the website doesn't confirm the allocation 

"Due to there being a limited number of tickets available, we anticipate a high demand on tickets." 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/matches/2022-23/leeds-vs-saints-2023-02-25/ticket-info

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Southner said:

Like many others, I'm looking forward to Saturday rather than dreading it...for once.

Leeds 1-2 Saints 

Brave, whoever loses this will more than likely get relegated.... That said the Chelsea performance has to give us confidence surely? It's a big if but if we can repeat that level of intensity in our performance there's no reason why we can't take the points, tall Paul looked ok at times without ever really threatening on goal other times he looked slow and gangley to be expected, sulamana looks like he could be the real deal in time though and lavia is a class above the rest of the team.... I don't wanna see Elyonoussi or diallo on the pitch though 

• Like 1

Have a feeling their new manager bounce will go a bit like ours with jones, not sure on their thoughts about him but I don’t think he’s up to much and they must be shattered mentally (much like us when jones came in) and he’s not really a big name to get them firing again.

IF we go down they will definitely be there with us.

3 minutes ago, Brissysaint said:

Have a feeling their new manager bounce will go a bit like ours with jones, not sure on their thoughts about him but I don’t think he’s up to much and they must be shattered mentally (much like us when jones came in) and he’s not really a big name to get them firing again.

IF we go down they will definitely be there with us.

Hope your right, hope we can continue with positive performances under selles at least even if the results don't go out way 

I think we will draw this 1-1 and that will not be a disaster. Obviously hope we go for it full on and get the win, but the last thing we can afford is a loss in this 6 pointer. Leeds will be in my view one of those we will be fighting to push into that bottom three, along with Bournemouth and one other. Won't be Everton now after they did what we should have at the start of the season. Oh well. Perhaps Palace might slide? If it isn't us, not sure who.

Draw not good enough. We’re simply running out of games and this is a six pointer and a must win. It’s Leeds, one of the weakest teams in the division. No more baby steps, we need to string wins together and not only does a win propel us right back into it, but it condemns an immediate rival to defeat AND will make our other relegation rivals, most who I’m sure had us as “Saints are down, two spots left” a few weeks ago, sit up and take notice. Can we do it? Yes, but our attack needs to start scoring goals from open play. Will we do it? Well it is Elland Road and we don’t have a great record there. Please put round pegs in round holes Ruben.

Personally I think we’ll get a draw here, which won’t be enough come May. I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 4

I don't usually sign-up to the "don't change a winning side" philosophy as a matter of course, as I think you should pick the best team for the opponent on a case by case basis, but on this occasion I think there is more merit in  continuity. So, same starting 11 for me please Mr Selles sir. 

Edited by trousers

The good news about this manager change is, they hadn't stopped playing for the last guy. The intensity was still there, just the confidence and quality that were missing. The pressure will still be on them. The crowd may well be a hindrance as well. Any early mistakes will be amplified. Really hope we keep the momentum and make it difficult from the very off. Nothing stupid from us, no gifts, no sitters missed. This is massive. 

• Like 1

Really hope KWP is fit for this, we haven’t seen a back 4 with 2 CBs, a right back and a left back in too long. Gives us another dimension. 

AMN grew into the game but was really poor first half against Chelsea, I don’t see a position for him in our side really. 

Baz

KWP ABK DCC Perraud

JWP Lavia Alcaraz 

Stu TallPaul Sulemana 

• Like 5

Looks like Gracia won't be in the dugout as he's having trouble getting a work permit in time. 

I'd like to see Edozie come in for Mo and KWP in for AMN but I'd understand if that didn't happen due to playing well against Chelsea and Selles might want to stay loyal to that team.

Let's use Edozie and Sulemana ok the wing to terrify them on the counter and have Stu floating behind Paul with Lavia and KWP pulling the strings in the middle. 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2023 at 07:52, egg said:

Many of these sleeper/alternative logins have been around for years. Then you notice certain prominent posters fade away and the sleeper/alternative login suddenly getting prominent. That account has had 2000 ish posts in over 16 years, then boom, loads and loads. 

You also have the case of long standing users sending private messages asking to purchase account login details.... sad and desperate stuff really. You'd think it would also be very obvious when an account's posting style suddenly changes....

Back to the Leeds game however.... we're clearly on an upwards trajectory and well into the momentum curve now... hard to see anything but a Southampton draw or win in this one.

Love and light..

👀

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Really hope KWP is fit for this, we haven’t seen a back 4 with 2 CBs, a right back and a left back in too long. Gives us another dimension. 

AMN grew into the game but was really poor first half against Chelsea, I don’t see a position for him in our side really. 

Baz

KWP ABK DCC Perraud

JWP Lavia Alcaraz 

Stu TallPaul Sulemana 

👆 Yep, that'll do for me

1 hour ago, Saint_Ash said:

Looks like Gracia won't be in the dugout as he's having trouble getting a work permit in time. 

I'd like to see Edozie come in for Mo and KWP in for AMN but I'd understand if that didn't happen due to playing well against Chelsea and Selles might want to stay loyal to that team.

Let's use Edozie and Sulemana ok the wing to terrify them on the counter and have Stu floating behind Paul with Lavia and KWP pulling the strings in the middle. 

Presumably with no work permit Gracia will not be able to take training until he gets one.

15 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

You also have the case of long standing users sending private messages asking to purchase account login details.... sad and desperate stuff really. You'd think it would also be very obvious when an account's posting style suddenly changes....

Back to the Leeds game however.... we're clearly on an upwards trajectory and well into the momentum curve now... hard to see anything but a Southampton draw or win in this one.

Love and light..

👀

I have no idea wtf that is about mate. 

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leeds 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic