Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

7 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

Livramento close to 30m Newcastle move and West Ham willing to let Downes come here to get JWP according to Guardian. 

If TL happened that would be good business. A very healthy profit and who knows if he’ll be the same player. As for JWP that could also be good business depending on the sums involved.

I'd be disappointed to lose Livramento, but with the uncertainty regarding his fitness and the fact we already have Bree who can slot in immediately, it wouldn't be too devastating. Only worry is how much money we actually get given the Chelsea clause. Anything less than £30m would feel like a poor deal to me.

Would also be happy with getting Downes and some money for JWP.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

I suspect KWP and Manning are Martin's starting FBs. One has to go and Tino raises most money.

Saints are championship, this is how it works. They'll keep a few decent players but most will go.

Money rules

I bet we sell Tino and kwp and sign a new rb or use Bree. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

Article says JWP will cost at least £40M. Surely we wouldn't be getting Downes + £40M. More likely to be 25M + add-ons + Downes. 

I think we'll end up getting less than that TBH. Unless we can play hardball re the Rice cash burning a hole in their pocket. But apparently the West Ham lot are very scattergun and unprofessional in their financial dealings (know someone who knows) compared to most. Think Downes would be a good outcome, esp given Martin's connection. Hope the remainder cash goes on Piroe. And someone who can call themselves a keeper.

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

If TL happened that would be good business. A very healthy profit and who knows if he’ll be the same player. As for JWP that could also be good business depending on the sums involved.

Agreed. Decent outcome especially as his injury might recurr/make him not the player he was. Think all that Ings stuff is balls though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I bet we sell Tino and kwp and sign a new rb or use Bree. 

That's what scares the bejeebies out of me, that we lose Livramento & KWP, now that would be a serious blow. Most of us probably think one or the other to go but not both. Surely we can't let everyone leave? Bree is awful from what we have seen so far.

A backline of Bree, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning is the stuff of nightmares. 

• Like 3

Would like Tino to stay but agree either him or KWP has to go we cant afford 2 good right back and bree.

Seems quiet on KWP front no one seems interested which is unexpected as I would prefer him to go.

JWP for 30m + 5m in add ons would be ok

Get Downes for 12m (West Ham paid 8m GBP according to Transfermarkt) but the question is does he cover the same position as Charles or is he a different midfielder as never seen him before or does Martin play with 2 holding midfielders normally ?

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That's what scares the bejeebies out of me, that we lose Livramento & KWP, now that would be a serious blow. Most of us probably think one or the other to go but not both. Surely we can't let everyone leave? Bree is awful from what we have seen so far.

Apparently if you say BBSM it standards for Big Belly Sexy Man

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That's what scares the bejeebies out of me, that we lose Livramento & KWP, now that would be a serious blow. Most of us probably think one or the other to go but not both.

I thought we'd lose both. I still do to be honest. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Or, in the Championship that's a top 6 back four all day long.

The other point with Tino is it's not actually a loss that we will really feel given that he was out for the whole of last year. Obviously would prefer to keep him but it's not the end of the world. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dellman said:

At current prices in this window £20m is nothing. He's worth £30m at least and to Monaco probably £40m

I’d say £50m-£60m. Quality International centre backs with three years premier league experience and still YHGTI are a rare breed. 

4 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Some people under estimate the Championship. I remember what happened last time--relegation from Championship

Except that isn't what happened last time. We finished mid table and then top 6. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Some people under estimate the Championship. I remember what happened last time--relegation from Championship

Oh come on! That's ridiculous! Back then, we were run by someone who thought he knew better than everyone else and was going to take a squad full of kids with potential to … oh… oh…dear…

🙂

• Haha 2

Ok sorry nothing to do with us but i need to document this statement so i can revisit it in 12 months (much like my Kompany will be shit for burnley statement- that went well).

Onna the new GK at Man U has some utter utter howlers in him, I think everyone is thinking he was quite sexy at Inter but I've seen him a lot for Ajax over the seasons and he has done some southampton esq howlers, i expect him to dribble around strikers far too often and get caught in possession leading to goals a lot for a goalie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We were a penalty shoot out away from reaching a winnable play-off final as well though.

Not in the first season. And we almost bankrupted the club to get there. I've said since the start of the season that if we go down, we'll be in a better position to come straight back up than we were last time. That's not to say we'll do it, just that the club is in a better position off the field (bizarrely).

Last time, didn't we only spend money on one player and that was Fuller at about 1/7th of the money we sold Crouch for?

40 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No it isn't. In The Championship that's an incredible backline (though I still don't trust Janny B). Those two full backs have been two of the best in the league in the last couple of years.

• Like 8

Poor old Bree, his only crime is to have been bought by Nathan Jones, and being played irregularly in some very high up the pitch full back role, which I found really confusing. Hopefully he wins most fans over this season and becomes a valuable asset to us.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Poor old Bree, his only crime is to have been bought by Nathan Jones, and be played irregularly in some very high up the pitch full back role, which I found really confusing. Hopefully he wins most fans over this season and becomes a valuable asset to us.

Fair point. He's probably been tarnished a bit. Most of the team he was parachuted in to last season looked utter w*nk so deserves a fair crack next season, have to admit I found myself nodding along with the Bree is rubbish stuff. He's not as exciting as Tino but we are where we are as a club.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Poor old Bree, his only crime is to have been bought by Nathan Jones, and be played irregularly in some very high up the pitch full back role, which I found really confusing. Hopefully he wins most fans over this season and becomes a valuable asset to us.

I have a lot of time for bree and what he could offer us as i knew of him at luton before he came here and saw him quite a few times, he was rated one of the best right backs in the championship and i think martins style will suit him and he does have a good cross.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I have a lot of time for bree and what he could offer us as i knew of him at luton before he came here and saw him quite a few times, he was rated one of the best right backs in the championship and i think martins style will suit him and he does have a good cross.

This, I do get the frustration around Tino.
But you ask any club if they'd love to have Bree and KWP as there RBs, They'd be happy wth just 1.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No it isn't. In The Championship that's an incredible backline (though I still don't trust Janny B). Those two full backs have been two of the best in the league in the last couple of years.

Bednarek is literally the best defender in that back line though 😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I wonder if the club have compared athletic stats in this pre-season after injury v before and have seen a drop somewhere ? or are they just reacting to the market

Either way i like Tino and if he leaves I'm just disappointed i feel like i didnt get the full tino experience before he got injured and had high hopes for him this season as his comeback, if he does well at newcastle no doubt they will claim they developed him etc

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2