Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

That's actually a cracking guess and very close but he never played for Bournemouth and certainly not 5 foot 10. Not going to reply now though in case you get it! 

If it’s not Charlie Daniels, but that was a cracking guess, that leads me to conclude it must be Charlie Drake? What do I win?

8B61B713-7AB9-436C-B38B-1C0723F2A7F3.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Ben Jacobs is a bit of a chancer but it would be hilarious if they're getting scared into this by the prospect of him being cup-tied.

I get that we’re asking a hefty amount for Lavia (I believe he’ll be 6th or 7th most expensive teenager ever) but Liverpool bartering over a mere few million quid is crazy when you think they’ll have an absolutely quality CM on their hands for years to come. I still get the feeling these clubs are just trying to get a few quid off because we were relegated but it’s nice to set a precedent that shows we won’t be forced into a sale. I know we can’t bring players in until we start selling but we already have good players. For me I think Lavia will get done sooner rather than later, and him, Salisu etc’s sales should help us be stronger in holding on to the likes of Tella, KWP etc as long as they remain happy to be here (we’ll see!).

• Like 2

On 06/08/2023 at 12:25, Polaroid Saint said:

Once Hojbjerg has completed his move to Atletico, I fully expect Spurs to use the funds to bid for JWP.

It's the only club I could see him really "wanting" to go to (without European football). 

38 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

So the JWP to Spurs thing is based off of a Daily Star article? 

Well, kinda Yes. But also the fact it's the obvious/traditional move for a Saints midfielder to go Spuds. Sorta.

And they have a Prowse shaped hole in their squad. 

Hope I am wrong and still think it's 50/50 JWP might actually stay for the season, or at least untill Christmas - if we are looking good, he would want to lead us back up.... ...There are reasons for him to do that, which far outweigh playing a lesser role for a different Premier League club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Man Utd reject the McTominay bid.

Everyone knows they are sitting on the £105m from the Rice sale. I seem to recall when we sold VvD for what was a great fee at that time, the prices of all our targets suddenly increased.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Keef said:

Everyone knows they are sitting on the £105m from the Rice sale. I seem to recall when we sold VvD for what was a great fee at that time, the prices of all our targets suddenly increased.

Maybe so but if I was United I’d be biting their arm off for £30 million for him. He’s pretty average. Christ if he’s worth that maybe JWP is in the £40~50 million bracket.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Polaroid Saint said:

Well, kinda Yes. But also the fact it's the obvious/traditional move for a Saints midfielder to go Spuds. Sorta.

And they have a Prowse shaped hole in their squad. 

Hope I am wrong and still think it's 50/50 JWP might actually stay for the season, or at least untill Christmas - if we are looking good, he would want to lead us back up.... ...There are reasons for him to do that, which far outweigh playing a lesser role for a different Premier League club.

I really hope you are right JWP is the most loyal Club man since MLT and it would be great to see him stick with us and lead us back to the top tier

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

According to bbc, West Ham have bid “over £50M” for McDominate and McGuire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66432783

Bless ‘em, they trying their hardest.

They're going to get relegated at this rate. European football, no Rice, no Lanzini, Antonio and Ings another year older, Scamartist out the door... And now they're signing Maguire with no other business in sight? Self harm central for their prem chances...

(i know they're going to sign players, but currently it has all the hallmarks that they're about to engage panic stations, and commence a run of bad buys and wasted Rice monies.)

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Maybe so but if I was United I’d be biting their arm off for £30 million for him. He’s pretty average. Christ if he’s worth that maybe JWP is in the £40~50 million bracket.

United want £40m for him, so no reason why we can't ask the same for JWP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, saintant said:

Think he'd be fine at this level.

Isn't he one of those guys that isn't physically dominant enough to play CB and not quick or skillfull enough to play rb? I dont know enough about him.

7 hours ago, Boris Karloff said:

Daniel Levy? He always haggles and leaves transfers to the last minute. 

Maybe we can eek out a few more quid then we managed with Hoj. He had us over a barrel then. Not sure he does this time around.

Why do I feel like a move to Spurs was always the plan and somehow they get JWP for less than even West Ham are willing to pay?

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Not that it directly impacts us this season, but Sheffield United's approach to the PL seems to be a little pointless. They lost their best attacking player to France, and have now agreed a fee with Burnley for their 2nd best player - Sander Berge.

They might as well have stayed in the Championship. Looks like being a pointless miserable season for them.

Tough for the Blades. Berge won't sign a new deal so they have little choice but to sell. Allowing players to walk on frees kills you financially. The flip side to that is they, like us, insisted on a high fee for Berge, which didn't materialise, so they brought it in on themselves, albeit they got great service for him.

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Why do I feel like a move to Spurs was always the plan and somehow they get JWP for less than even West Ham are willing to pay?

I think spurs are just sniffing a potential bargain with West Ham (possibly pretending) to lose interest. They may believe we could panic and let him leave for a lower figure now rather than missing out on a sale. Hopefully the club and JWP are all perfectly happy to stay together if no sale materialises.

I've seen reservations mentioned about his age but anyone signing a 28 year old JWP is the equivalent of signing an 25 year old, but with more experience. With his fitness levels and almost injury-free career, he could play at the top level to well into his thirties.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive never really been a fan of Holgate, but I thought Id give it the benefit of the doubt and look at his stats

It doesn’t make good reading… https://footystats.org/players/england/mason-holgate

Id say he isn’t an improvement on Bednarek or Stephens, and his passing stats are even worse

I've watched a lot of Everton over the last couple of years due to a family connection and, believe me, Holgate is a disaster waiting to happen every time he plays.

I would honestly rather keep Lyanco.

• Like 7

I don't get all the negativity towrds Bednarek and Stephens, they were a CB pairing in  far more successful past Saints teams. They will be one of the strongest championship pairings this season IMO. We really missed Stephens last season, again in my humblest of opinions. 

• Like 20
  • Sad 1

Just now, Toussaint said:

I don't get all the negativity towrds Bednarek and Stephens, they were a CB pairing in  far more successful past Saints teams. They will be one of the strongest championship pairings this season IMO. We really missed Stephens last season, again in my humblest of opinions. 

I actually like Stephens and Bednarek at this level but I do think we need to sign another CB to compliment them, possibly one with more of an aerial presence 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

They're going to get relegated at this rate. European football, no Rice, no Lanzini, Antonio and Ings another year older, Scamartist out the door... And now they're signing Maguire with no other business in sight? Self harm central for their prem chances...

(i know they're going to sign players, but currently it has all the hallmarks that they're about to engage panic stations, and commence a run of bad buys and wasted Rice monies.)

I know what you’re saying, but I did the bbc prediction thing yesterday and found it impossible to shoe horn all the crap clubs into the relegation spots so they might just survive.

Wolves - no money and upset manager 

Everton - no money and crap players

Sheff U - no money, squad REGRESSED

Luton - Terrible squad (for PL), not improved

Then add AFCB and Burnley in the mix - they’d look obvious candidates in most seasons. Palace have lost Zaha and not improved elsewhere (not sure Roy will do well for a full season either). Brentford have lost their goal scorer. Even Brighton, who are weaker and have European football which historically hampers smaller squads. 
I’ve got those 9 and West Ham and not got to Fulham and Forest yet! Honestly, beyond the obvious top 8 that league is so poor. Makes our relegation even more depressing. 

Edited by Chewy
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Really hope so. Shithouse club.

• Like 2

Stephen’s and Bednarek should both be more than competent at this level.
Another CB would be nice but I only see that happening if Lyanco or ABK leave. I imagine one will go and one will stay.

Liverpool are haggling over a couple of million for Romeo Lavia. Even Jamie Carragher is saying pay up or move on now - it’s embarassing.

JWP remains at Saints. DT’s blood pressure must be increasing everyday. 😂

13 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

whats the score with Lavia??? 

Have City got a sell on clause which means we won't get £50 million if Liverpool do eventually stump up?

If I understand it, they have a 20% sell on clause and can buy him back next year for £40M.  So, if we sell him for £50M this year, we get the £40M a year early.  Anything less than £50M is a bit daft as I am sure that Man City would buy him back next year at the agreed price.  Why sell him for anything less?

• Like 2

One immutable fact: James Ward Prowse cant break Beckham's record of Direct Free Kicks scored in the Premier League, from the Championship.

No Southampton, DoF, Manager or Owner can deny him the chance of that.

Its very surprising that the sensible offers aren't in yet.

6 minutes ago, Ashby Saint said:

If I understand it, they have a 20% sell on clause and can buy him back next year for £40M.  So, if we sell him for £50M this year, we get the £40M a year early.  Anything less than £50M is a bit daft as I am sure that Man City would buy him back next year at the agreed price.  Why sell him for anything less?

The bit lots of people seem to muddle about this buy back is that its up to City if they want to activate it next year (they don't have to) and also there is literally nothing stopping them moving for him this summer if they wished to, they would just need to negotiate like everyone else and the current price minus their sell on is pretty much similar to their agreed buy back anyway.

Personally I don't get the logic that City are seemingly ok for Lavia to go to Liverpool or Chelsea this summer hence they havent got involved in bidding for him but that next summer they will suddenly move for him as a priority.

If City saw him in their future plans they would be in for him now to stop him going to a rival, so I would assume on that basis that they don't see him moving back there any time soon.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The bit lots of people seem to muddle about this buy back is that its up to City if they want to activate it next year (they don't have to) and also there is literally nothing stopping them moving for him this summer if they wished to, they would just need to negotiate like everyone else and the current price minus their sell on is pretty much similar to their agreed buy back anyway.

Personally I don't get the logic that City are seemingly ok for Lavia to go to Liverpool or Chelsea this summer hence they havent got involved in bidding for him but that next summer they will suddenly move for him as a priority.

If City saw him in their future plans they would be in for him now to stop him going to a rival, so I would assume on that basis that they don't see him moving back there any time soon.

Is there anything preventing City from buying back at the agreed (rumoured) £40m next summer, then selling him a few days later for £50m or more ?

(Leaving aside the player's/his agent obstructing such a move).

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

Is there anything preventing City from buying back at the agreed (rumoured) £40m next summer, then selling him a few days later for £50m or more ?

Nothing stopping it apart from logistics

You have issues like player registrations, admin fees, signing on fees, contractual obligations etc

Its just not something that will happen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

I know what you’re saying, but I did the bbc prediction thing yesterday and found it impossible to shoe horn all the crap clubs into the relegation spots so they might just survive.

Wolves - no money and upset manager 

Everton - no money and crap players

Sheff U - no money, squad REGRESSED

Luton - Terrible squad (for PL), not improved

Then add AFCB and Burnley in the mix - they’d look obvious candidates in most seasons. Palace have lost Zaha and not improved elsewhere (not sure Roy will do well for a full season either). Brentford have lost their goal scorer. Even Brighton, who are weaker and have European football which historically hampers smaller squads. 
I’ve got those 9 and West Ham and not got to Fulham and Forest yet! Honestly, beyond the obvious top 8 that league is so poor. Makes our relegation even more depressing. 

Yes, regardless of any positivity this season. Its important to remember that the fact we're in the championship, suffering financial pain, and losing players like lavia and tino, not to mention possible departures of JWP, KWP, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Tella etc, is nothing but an utter shitfest. I know we had a lot of injuries last year and late business throughout the season, but really is a trainwreck that we went down. Our starting 11 on friday (if lavia had played) would have been stronger than half of last season's....

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

They would be fine if we had Pelle up top and Wanyama at centre mid. But we don't have anyone in the team who is genuinely good in the air. [Caveat: haven't really seen enough of Charles to know.]

Most teams will have several players better in the air than any of ours. Means we will be vulnerable at set pieces.

If we add height somewhere else then they might be fine but I think we should be trying to find a big bugger that's good on the ball (maybe easier said than done).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Another CB would be nice but I only see that happening if Lyanco or ABK leave. I imagine one will go and one will stay.

Liverpool are haggling over a couple of million for Romeo Lavia. Even Jamie Carragher is saying pay up or move on now - it’s embarassing.

We are dreadful at defending set pieces and these two are part of the reason. Stephens in particular is poor in the air and has no positional sense. Maybe they will be good enough at this level, but the goal we conceded against Sheffield Wednesday doesn’t bode well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, benjii said:

They would be fine if we had Pelle up top and Wanyama at centre mid. But we don't have anyone in the team who is genuinely good in the air. [Caveat: haven't really seen enough of Charles to know.]

Most teams will have several players better in the air than any of ours. Means we will be vulnerable at set pieces.

If we add height somewhere else then they might be fine but I think we should be trying to find a big bugger that's good on the ball (maybe easier said than done).

Sounds like Piroe or Van Hooijdonk, you’d think that this type of player is number one on Wilcox and Martin’s list, very much the missing link. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Badger said:

Unless there is a specific contractual clause then you would think probably not, but it doesn't matter anyway as he will go this summer.

Would assume part of our agreement with Liverpool will be a hefty sell on clause for when he joins Al-Someone for £200m in a couple of years.

44 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Yes, regardless of any positivity this season. Its important to remember that the fact we're ion the championship, suffering financial pain, and losing players like lavia and tino, not to mention possible departures of JWP, KWP, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Tella etc, is nothing but an utter shitfest. I know we had a lot of injuries last year and late business throughout the season, but really is a trainwreck that we went down. Our starting 11 on friday (if lavia had played) would have been stronger than half of last season's....

Please we are not suffering financial pain….at all. We are just being very businesslike 

Edited by manji

31 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We are dreadful at defending set pieces and these two are part of the reason. Stephens in particular is poor in the air and has no positional sense. Maybe they will be good enough at this level, but the goal we conceded against Sheffield Wednesday doesn’t bode well.

We also had the guy who won the header being marked by Smallbone, whilst Bednarek and Stephens were marking space.

I’m hoping the new guy will keep it simple.  Get Stephens and Bednarek man-marking and have a spare player like Smallbone marking space.  
As long as we always leave a forward up from corners, they will have 2 staying, leaving us the extra man in the box.

Zonal marking is a complete load of shite.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

My blood pressure's fine, thanks. Helps to giggle at your posts when they include a bit about JWP staying, along with all the usual 'x' rumour can't be true because it's on 'y' website or 'z' feed.

I think both JWP and Lavia will be gone before the window 'slams' shut, personally. Earlier the better, at our price, so we can get on and rubber stamp the incomings 😉

35 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Sounds like Piroe or Van Hooijdonk, you’d think that this type of player is number one on Wilcox and Martin’s list, very much the missing link. 

Names like Sydney van Hooijdonk and all these other relatives of former players sound like the ones that Championship Manager used to auto-generate once the existing players had all retired.  I'll never forget the contributions from the likes of Alan Giggs and Ryan Shearer.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Few comments on that. 
1. We’ve just appointed a new set price coach who apparently “eats sleeps breathes set prices”. That’s a reassurance. 
2. front post flick ons like what happened v Wednesday for the corner goal would normally be squashed out by a taller full back. We don’t have that so our ability to stop that is harmed. Once it’s been flicked on it’s a toss up who gets a foot on it. 
3. neither manning or WP- our likely starting fb’s this season are giants. And our MF are not big either to take over from stopping the flick ons. 

4. Bednarek and Stephens are plenty good enough at cb and the back up is, I think, lyanco and Shea, again plenty good enough. 

overall I’m sanguine about set price situation! 

53 minutes ago, manji said:

Please we are not suffering financial pain….at all. We are just being very businesslike 

I don't quite know how you're saying that, perhaps its a misunderstanding Manji? What i meant, is that we are many millions of pounds worse off on the revenue front due to a relegation and reduced TV deals - all of which came about through the awful management of the club last season. We might be able to ride it better than Leicester/Leeds (a silver lining of the recruitment strategy that relegated us - plus SR backing financially) - but no amount of positivity over the coming season should excuse last season's shit fest. And it sounds like you are falling into the trap of just blanking out that that we are fundamentally far weaker financially than we would otherwise have been? Like it or not, we are having to sell players and/or are at risk of selling some of our other best players, whilst equally we are a lot less attractive a proposition for own or for target players. Long term its a dent in our ability to effectively recruit and retain players, and ultimately therefore our competitiveness - which obviously gets worse the longer we're in the 2nd tier.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Names like Sydney van Hooijdonk and all these other relatives of former players sound like the ones that Championship Manager used to auto-generate once the existing players had all retired.  I'll never forget the contributions from the likes of Alan Giggs and Ryan Shearer.

Indeed they do, Roy Beckham comes to mind. If Piroe proves too difficult to get hold of, I’d be happy with Syd, a tad Pellesque and easy to find in the box. 

17 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I don't quite know how you're saying that, perhaps its a misunderstanding Manji? What i meant, is that we are many millions of pounds worse off on the revenue front due to a relegation and reduced TV deals - all of which came about through the awful management of the club last season. We might be able to ride it better than Leicester/Leeds (a silver lining of the recruitment strategy that relegated us) - but no amount of positivity over the coming season should excuse last seasons shit fest. And with this comment here, it sounds like you are falling into the trap of just blanking out that that we are fundamentally far weaker financially than we would otherwise be! And like it or not, we are having to sell players and/or are at risk of selling some of our other best players, whilst equally we are a lot less attractive a proposition for own or for target players.

Manji I think is suggesting that SR will continue to back us financially so we are ‘strong’ in this division irrelevant of our huge drop in income (ie we don’t need to fire sell our talent to survive). But yes I struggle to see how anyone could suggest relegation hasn’t massively weakened our finances (plus removed opportunity costs - ie we are not exactly shop window for attracting the best young talent in the championship). As per the original post - most annoying when the Prem this year looks really weak - but no point going over all that again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iansums said:

Agree with this, to be honest I'm not sure he could have put in a better performance than KWP on Friday night.

When he signed for such a tiny amount, I remember thinking this guy is going to make us so much money and he's certainly lived up to that. There is a scenario where he never recovers from his acl injury so it's actually brilliant that a club in our position can extract such good value 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

When he signed for such a tiny amount, I remember thinking this guy is going to make us so much money and he's certainly lived up to that. There is a scenario where he never recovers from his acl injury so it's actually brilliant that a club in our position can extract such good value 

not a dig at you as there will be a lot thinking the same but isn't it tragic that we as fans think that way. Not how much we are looking forward to see him play, make his England debut with us, can we build a young team around him and a few others that can challenge at the top of the table etc. No, it's about how much we can make from him when we sell him. Symbolic of what football has become.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

not a dig at you as there will be a lot thinking the same but isn't it tragic that we as fans think that way. Not how much we are looking forward to see him play, make his England debut with us, can we build a young team around him and a few others that can challenge at the top of the table etc. No, it's about how much we can make from him when we sell him. Symbolic of what football has become.

Yup, sad state of affairs really. 

• Like 1