Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

53 minutes ago, Chez said:

I think he has been well liked by the fans at clubs due to good social media, but not sure he has been hugely impressive. 

Small had a woeful loan at Port Vale (not getting in the match day squad) and then a difficult loan in Scotland, getting sent off a couple of times.  Still only 19, so could still come good, but needs to start making progress.

Think it was discussed previously but there is a change Small was a very good 17 year old rather than a 17 year old with high potential, which are very different things. The fact that, ironically, he's a big lad will have given him a short term advantage.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Is Simeu classified as an u21? He's 21, so wasn't sure.

He was u21 in Junuary, which I think is the "cut-off". Contract is up next summer, so perhaps we are looking to move him on. Hasn't appeared an any squads so far, 1st or u21, maybe he is injured.

20 minutes ago, ElTrinidad said:

629694973_Screenshot2023-08-16at22_51_45.thumb.png.d9b84df0d9709667dbac44aab4582a68.png

I wonder if we'll see anything of these two this season.

Simeu was captian of the chelsea youth squad that produced Tino, always suprised me how differently their respective careers have panned out since joining.

From my (albeit limited) experience, the slight issue with Thierry Small is that he is really not a very good player and this, in turn, has created a significant barrier to his doing overly well as a football player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, ElTrinidad said:

629694973_Screenshot2023-08-16at22_51_45.thumb.png.d9b84df0d9709667dbac44aab4582a68.png

I wonder if we'll see anything of these two this season.

Simeu was captian of the chelsea youth squad that produced Tino, always suprised me how differently their respective careers have panned out since joining.

Simeu was never that highly rated and was never bought by us to become a senior figure but rather plug a gap in our academy for a season at CB. Whereas Tino was always one of the standouts from u16 up to u21 at Chelsea and was expected to go onto become a PL player/international.

34 minutes ago, The Juice said:

From my (albeit limited) experience, the slight issue with Thierry Small is that he is really not a very good player and this, in turn, has created a significant barrier to his doing overly well as a football player. 

Small is incredibly gifted athletically and physically for his age (only turned 19 this month compared to someone like Simeu who is 22 this season), he's also pretty good technically when it comes to taking players on and finishing. His attitude and positional sense are lacking hugely which is why I don't understand why he's not permanently converted to an Adama Traore-type winger.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, kristian said:

Simeu was never that highly rated and was never bought by us to become a senior figure but rather plug a gap in our academy for a season at CB. Whereas Tino was always one of the standouts from u16 up to u21 at Chelsea and was expected to go onto become a PL player/international.

Transfemarkt suggests there was a €1.75m fee. If that is correct, it seems a considerable amount to fork out to `plug a gap' in the u21s. Not sure why you would offer a three year contract either unless you had serious hopes of him progressing into our first team. 

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

Transfemarkt suggests there was a €1.75m fee. If that is correct, it seems a considerable amount to fork out to `plug a gap' in the u21s. Not sure why you would offer a three year contract either unless you had serious hopes of him progressing into our first team. 

Wasn't he Tinos buddy at Chelsea?