Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

So much synisism on here and amongst our fanbase, and very understandable given the last few years. 

But, in Wilcox and Martin and other new senior figures we seem to have a fresh attitude, ambition and determination. As close to the window closing as we are, and the inevitable nervousness that begins to set in, as always many deals that involve players who have more than one suitor, will take longer to resolve. I may well be proved wrong, but I do think we will see 2 or 3 new players - including a striker! - before next weekend. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

An extremely convenient time for the club to leak about the contract. 

“Oh we tried so so hard to keep him” incoming on deadline day…

To what purpose? He’s under contract for not her year, if we sell him it’ll be because we’ve received an acceptable offer and are presumably happy with either what’s left or what we’re getting to replace him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, James said:

Irrespective of what happens now we’ve gambled by leaving things very late. Martin said at the weekend that he was confident we’d have a stronger squad by the time the window closes so, whilst he doesn’t control the transfers, we’ll have to trust him on that for the moment. Given the stage we are at you would hope we’d be targeting the likes of Piroe (maybe we are but he wants to go to Leeds?) as if we bring in the young midfielder from Holland or a striker from the SPL then its a pretty big ask for them to be firing straight away. 

The trouble with saying we'll have a stronger squad by the time the window closes is, if you leave it late, you are at the mercy of how multiple deals involving multiple players and clubs pan out. Often you end up scrambling around for the scraps while your real targets vanish before your eyes. With the money we've brought in many of us probably hoped the club would be proactive and get some exciting deals done ahead of the summer sales closing day madness. Sure, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes but the count down is on so hopefully well start hearing some good news. If nothing is clear by a day or two before the window shuts I worry we'll miss the boat.

1 hour ago, James said:

Irrespective of what happens now we’ve gambled by leaving things very late. Martin said at the weekend that he was confident we’d have a stronger squad by the time the window closes so, whilst he doesn’t control the transfers, we’ll have to trust him on that for the moment. Given the stage we are at you would hope we’d be targeting the likes of Piroe (maybe we are but he wants to go to Leeds?) as if we bring in the young midfielder from Holland or a striker from the SPL then its a pretty big ask for them to be firing straight away. 

The trouble with saying we'll have a stronger squad by the time the window closes is, if you leave it late, you are at the mercy of how multiple deals involving multiple players and clubs pan out. Often you end up scrambling around for the scraps while your real targets vanish before your eyes. With the money we've brought in many of us probably hoped the club would be proactive and get some exciting deals done ahead of the summer sales closing day madness. Sure, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes but the count down is on so hopefully well start hearing some good news. If nothing is clear by a day or two before the window shuts I worry we'll miss the boat.

1 hour ago, James said:

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

I thought it would pan out just like it has. We'd sell all our good players and because the squad size was massive, we'd bring very few in. I expected a lot of deals to happen at the end of the window, they always do, making it very hard for us to plan and reset. Did you really think it would be different to that?

I certainly didn't think we'd do as well as replacing Lavia and JWP with Downes and Charles. The proof will be in the pudding, but on paper, that's about as good as it get in the championship. 

I must admit, I did think Che would have gone by now and Piroe would have signed for us by now. Scoring only five goals last season obviously hasn't helped. 

Pretty much bang on how I see it, we recruited Shea and Manning early, because we clearly knew they’d be in demand and would likely need them, Shea looks great and Manning Im 50/50 on… but you can’t bemoan that signing, on paper from last year he looked very good

I think we expected to lose Lyanco earlier, unfortunately it didn’t materialise, he’s on good money and we probably need him gone to properly sanction a move for a CB which is dissapointing and as a fan I want to see more depth there but here we are 🤷‍♀️

The bedwetting is a bit OTT though;

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy, Lumley

CB - Bednarek, Stephens, ABK, Lyanco, Awe

LB - Manning, Perraud, Larios

RB - KWP, Bree

CM - Charles, Downes, Smallbone

AM - Alcaraz, Stu Armstrong, Aribo

RW - Tella, Sulemana, Amo-Amenyaw

LW - Edozie, Sulemana, Djenepo

ST - Arma, Che Adams

I appreciate we all want to see new blood coming into the team and I do believe we’ll see it but that squad is already more than capable of winning promotion but also is too bloated. Of course we want to, and SR want to be promoted, but we also need to position ourselves correctly, the way FFP affects clubs at this level means you get only 2/3 bites before the restraints start hurting you.

That squad probably needs a CB and a CM to be, arguably the best ‘squad’ in the Champ, of course we need to still get a tune out of it but still. Id also expect us to strengthen any positions we lose our starters in

Chill.. there is a week left

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

One thing to consider as a cause for optimism. When Wilcox came he joined with Man City on the crest of a wave, his stock as high as it is likely to get. Bit of a coup for Saints. I don’t think he joined to be a hatchet man or a yes man, and the board could have employed a hatchet man or a yes man much, much cheaper. Ankersen being miles away from the day to day in Turkey and France is also a positive, particularly if it’s by design. 

Fuckety frustrating at the mo but we have to wait for the close of the window. Let’s hope that this last week is positively Koemanesque! Keep the faith chaps, imagine a convincing win tomorrow and that daft sticker album filing up a bit next week. 

I agree that Wilcox doesn't come across as a hatchet man. However, maybe the new guy in charge of the purse strings was brought in to insist the unpalatable stuff gets done without emotional involvement. It's often the bean counters who ruin everybody's fun. If he plays hardball to release funds then deals can't get done.

13 minutes ago, ecurnew02 said:

Article says we are in the market for a right-back following Livramento's departure (probably explains the Drameh links earlier). Does not look related to KWP's future which is good 

Just asked my WHam pal about him. “Amazing first season, dog shit last season. I think he could be a solid player but too patchy atm”.

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Makes me think he is on his way and we're trying to manage fan opinion? 

The original message says he was offered the deal earlier in the summer and it remains on the table so no appeasing of fan opinions for my money.

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just asked my WHam pal about him. “Amazing first season, dog shit last season. I think he could be a solid player but too patchy atm”.

Shocker! 20/21 year old player not outstanding in a bad team and a bit inconsistent!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

You really are excited, the game isn’t until Saturday! 😉

That'll teach me for typing in haste on a crowded train - when Saturday comes of course.  I am however looking forward to tomorrow also, doing some outreach work at Pedants Anonymous - seeing some familiar faces from here ;) 

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, saintant said:

I agree that Wilcox doesn't come across as a hatchet man. However, maybe the new guy in charge of the purse strings was brought in to insist the unpalatable stuff gets done without emotional involvement. It's often the bean counters who ruin everybody's fun. If he plays hardball to release funds then deals can't get done.

I think Wilcox is very much Dragan's organ grinder and the rest of the new boardroom hires a troop of monkeys.  Could be wrong of course but I think we will measure success or failure of our boardroom mainly on JW this season - if he gets sucked over by the Dyson in the meantime I'd wager that he will be on his toes.  He's been a revelation in terms of the sales, but he now needs to do the business in recruitment - much harder, but keeping the faith for now.  

• Like 2

Sports Republic are in this for one main reason and that is to make a profit. Let’s not ever forget that. Sure, us being successful massively  helps that priority but our success is not necessarily the most prominent part of their agenda. They are businessmen first and foremost and banking 15m for Adams rather than getting nothing next year is a no brainer even if it leaves us dependent on the likes of Ballard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

so if I’ve understood correctly, the same people who are saying we should keep Adams as he’s now the greatest striker are the same people who are complaining we haven’t bid for Archer and Piroe?

I assume for those people the worry is that we will sell Adams and not get either of those players. 

8 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Sports Republic are in this for one main reason and that is to make a profit. Let’s not ever forget that. Sure, us being successful massively  helps that priority but our success is not necessarily the most prominent part of their agenda. They are businessmen first and foremost and banking 15m for Adams rather than getting nothing next year is a no brainer even if it leaves us dependent on the likes of Ballard. 

If they’re in this to make a profit, then their best chance is getting promoted, you’re not getting rich in the championship.

Selling our best chances of doing that and not replacing them doesn’t make sense.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Because making a quick £15m and putting the whole £220m investment at risk is what will make them a great profit?

They’re not asset strippers and will do what they think is best for the future prospects of the business…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Really warped logic to be honest. 

Good businessmen know that the fortune comes from being in the PL - the model of buy the best young talent and sell for a profit only really works in the PL. If we hang around in the Championship for too long then their investment is up in smoke and they'll be losing money every week with no talent to recoup on, as good young players won't want to join an also-ran in the Championship.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Bollocks did you predict we would have a week to go with no strengthening of our centre backs or attack. You might have predicted we would sell a lot or most of our good players but you don't have to be Nostradamus to predict th

See below.

On 21/04/2023 at 11:53, Jimbo said:

all this talk of having money when we go down, and managers like Potter baffles me (but maybe i am too cynical).

I'd expect:

1. Significant sales will be used to repay this year's wasted £140m transfer splurge & loss of prem TV income; 
  2. There will be no significant outlay on quality players to get us back up
  3. Probably more prem loans, and more signing youth players based on perceive resale value
  4. Some incompetent manager picked on some bonkers criteria like "most aggressive nonsense", or a useless ex-player (e.g. Gerrard)
  5. Persevering with obvious failures (Bazunu etc)
  6. Reliance on fringe players who are probably at their level (e.g. Stephens, A.Armstrong)

Overall, zero faith that the current decision-makers will have a clue what to do, and will continue to lurch from one poor decision to another.

Apart from (4), not bad.

You can call me Nostradamus for predicting th

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

I was going to post something similar. Started OK, but was very poor last season and most West Ham fans subsequently don't rate him. Not sure if he is better than Bree. Hopefully.

yep - agree. maybe one in one out on a couple of players (ABK and Adams) leaves us overall in an ok position. 

Am a bit worried that our first XI looks ok, but after 2-3 subs we look very weak / reliant on untested youngsters. 46 games is a long season if there were an injury crisis.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Lol remember when we were allegedly choosing between Sulemana and Doku in Jan?

Whoever the scout was for those two, assuming he was also the guy that recommended Ramos and Gakpo, knows a decent player when he sees one...but he really dropped a bollock with the Onuachu recommendation.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

See below.

Apart from (4), not bad.

You can call me Nostradamus for predicting th

I think most saints fans could have figured th out in April. In fact I’d say it’s pretty generic of any club getting relegated, especially one which spent big on trying not to the year before. There was always going to be a big differential between what we sold and what we bought.

• Like 1

Suspensions are going to hit hard with the strict rules being applied this season and with the obligatory injuries we need some  serious strength in depth. 

on another point…if we were to get promoted I don’t want Che Adams,or Adam Armstrong included as any of our attacking options again in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think most saints fans could have figured th out in April. In fact I’d say it’s pretty generic of any club getting relegated, especially one which spent big on trying not to the year before. There was always going to be a big differential between what we sold and what we bought.

Agreed. My only point was that I expect us to be a bit further down the line with our strengthening in key areas. It hasn't been a disaster because we've continued to get results but it is making me nervous about if we will bring in enough by next Friday. 

I would be less than happy if we end up we end up selling Adams and signing Shankland - the definition of a journeyman footballer - from the Scottish Premier League which is equivalent to League 1 at best.

it’s alright signing potential from there in the form of a young player but not a 28 year old.  I’d take a risk on Duk for example but not as our main striker.

does Stu count as young when signed him? Van Dijk certainly did.

no more Aribos or McCann’s please.

I don’t get the Sulemana appreciation - he’s scored one wonder goal  - but so has Djneppo.  His track record and end product are terrible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

I would be less than happy if we end up we end up selling Adams and signing Shankland - the definition of a journeyman footballer - from the Scottish Premier League which is equivalent to League 1 at best.

it’s alright signing potential from there in the form of a young player but not a 28 year old.  I’d take a risk on Duk for example but not as our main striker.

I don’t get the Sulemana appreciation - he’s scored one wonder goal  - but so has Djneppo.  His track record and end product are terrible.

Saw highlights of Shankland for Hearts v Rosenberg, thought he looked good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Indeed. Duk is the signing I'd expect alongside Adams or Piroe to provide cover in the squad. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I'd give Sulemena a few more matches before we place him in the same bracket as Djenepo