Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

27 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its not my explanation, you clearly stated that the Mane/VVD buys were defined and monitored for a while but any other signings probably were not

The only real panic buys are probably Onuachu and Carillo, which funilly enough were both bought in to try to prop up a failing manager.. I just cant see that being the case this time

I'd include Diallo in that list plus Bree, Lyanco and Sulemana as well.

I stated that the VVD purchase was something that had been linked for a while.

Koeman did come in with his own list of players he wanted. Or at the very least we had plans in place or a combination of the two. That window was somewhat miraculous after we were gutted bringing in Pelle, Mane, Soares, Bertrand, Tadic, Forster, Alderweireld , Long and Gardos - nearly all of whom had a big impact in our golden period. I don't remember us missing out on a string of targets for the same position.

This time I'm hopeful that we'd walk away rather than panic buy someone but I also had high hopes in the January transfer window.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Exactly we’ve just made £130m from 4 sales of players who we bought for £15m. Insane profit. 

plus we sold Salisu for more than we paid for him.

The nonsense that we can’t buy anyone because we’ve got a handful of players we’ve lost money on is laughable. Saints fans must have PTSD from the Goa sell to buy era

DCC deal is meant to be loan to buy anyway for what we paid for him, Elyanoussi is 60k a week of the wage bill same with Walcott, good news. if Sully goes it looks like it’ll be at least for what we paid, same with Adams. 

Orsic was a small fee. Useless Paul is the only one we’re really losing big on. 

And he's still not a patch on Carillo....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ah, silly season well and truly on.

Translated - UPDATE Paintsil: Winger has announced that he

don't want to leave this summer. Not for Leeds and not for any other club.

This update was before the one saying he's talking to us, no? Hope he comes, probably as the Tella replacement, but his advisers do seem to be all over the place. Or maybe he has a big ego. Or both. Shame we didn't have him when we won the Johnson Paints trophy.

1 minute ago, Winchester Red said:

Why are people so keen to write off / ditch Sulemana? 

He's could be brilliant at this level, and he certainly doesn't have less end product than Sam (one goal doesn't make a summer, although hopeful for many more)

I think it’s more most people think he’ll be leaving. Hope not though

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Winchester Red said:

He's could be brilliant at this level, and he certainly doesn't have less end product than Sam (one goal doesn't make a summer, although hopeful for many more)

I think most people would be absolutely delighted if he stuck around. I just can't see it personally.

Pessimistic hat on but I don't think we'll keep hold of any of ABK, KWP, Sulemana or Che. Keeping any of them would be amazing.

• Like 4

Just now, Winchester Red said:

He could. I would love "could be brilliant" to turn into "is brilliant". Both he and Sam Edozie deserved more minutes last season and a run in the side to establish themselves.

Just now, coalman said:

I would hope we'd learned our lesson about recruiting from Genk. Paintsil has end of window panic buy written all over him. Particularly if we see it as a way of recovering some of the money we splashed on Onuachu.

Good money after bad springs to mind. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chez said:

could you not say that about the majority, if not all of last minute signings that they were `lined up' or `on our list of targets'? There will be the odd late opportunity that we hadn't been considering/bidding for, but deadline day doesn't always mean unscouted/unplanned/last car on the lot etc.

I could see myself saying that, yes. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think it’s more most people think he’ll be leaving. Hope not though

If we do keep him I'll be surprised but it depends where his head's at. If he's one of those players that sulks because he didn't get his move then there is no point him being here, if he's one of those players that just gets on with it and is happy to be here (a la Alcaraz), then I think he'll be a real asset and our attacking options will be a lot stronger with him here. I hope it's the latter. Although as I say I would be surprised if we still have him by Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

So 4 days to go what do we think will be the definite comings and goings?

for me incoming 

1xCB

1xWide (right) sided player

1xCF

outgoing

1xCF

I'd be ok with that - it would mean ABK and Sulemana staying which could be huge.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ally_uk said:

If Adams leaves... 

I'd like to see a Striker with a big of height, strength and presence up top.

I liked the look at that Armstrong lad at QPR  Okay not the tallest but strength and tenacity looked good. 

or someone in the mould of a Pelle / Lambert type 

We have needed someone like that since Pelle left. I doubt SR are going to find him in the next few days. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

for me incoming 

1xCB

1xCF

outgoing

1xCF

Think if Che goes we need to be buying two strikers so that we have cover.  Just the one if he stays.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

for me incoming 

1xCB

1xCF

outgoing

1xCF

In

CF, CB (possibly 2), RB/LB, RW

Out

Lyanco, ABK, Perraud, Onuachu, Djenepo, Adams

Edited by Harry_SFC

37 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think most people would be absolutely delighted if he stuck around. I just can't see it personally.

Pessimistic hat on but I don't think we'll keep hold of any of ABK, KWP, Sulemana or Che. Keeping any of them would be amazing.

I think we'll only lose ABK.  No one has shown serious interest in KWP all window, there seems to be a £30m price tag on Sully which I suspect no one will meet and Everton have moved on from Che and Palace haven't shown serious intent all window.

Edited by CampionSaint
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I know some people are gutted about missing out on archer as he was the new sexy name off the block.

But can i suggest an alternative to archer - robin of locksley.

Could replace big Paul with Little John 

• Haha 3

The reason Everton were able to try and sign Beto for about £25m total, unlike Saints wanting up front payments for Che Adams, Udinese require no up front payment until the next financial year. Bin dippers in deed.:mcinnes:

Edited by derry
  • Haha 1

Will the last player to leave St. Marys please turn off the lights!!  As far as i can see just about anyone that represented quality has been sold off, the owners are sitting on a fortune, and we are bringing in 2nd rate dross.   When folks are getting excited over Adam Armstrong as being the Messiah my heart sinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, CampionSaint said:

I think we'll only lose ABK.  No one has shown serious interest in KWP all window, there seems to be a £30m price tag on Sully which I suspect no one will meet and Everton have moved on from Che and Palace haven't shown serious intent all window.

I’m starting to wonder if che was left out on Saturday because he finally found out he isn’t going to be leaving and needed some time to come to terms with it. Surely there would be more noise if a club is close to signing him?

41 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

ITKs are telling us we're in financial trouble, but now we're offering favourable terms for Paintsil 🤔

We are financially much better off than Leicester and Leeds but relegation means we have to slash the wage bill and so far we are doing it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Streaky said:

We are financially much better off than Leicester and Leeds but relegation means we have to slash the wage bill and so far we are doing it.

Yes, the paradox is we've decided we need to sell big to get the club on a sounder footing but we can also afford to make favourable offers to new players at this level

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

26 minutes ago, legod66 said:

Will the last player to leave St. Marys please turn off the lights!!  As far as i can see just about anyone that represented quality has been sold off, the owners are sitting on a fortune, and we are bringing in 2nd rate dross.   When folks are getting excited over Adam Armstrong as being the Messiah my heart sinks.

Give your head a wobble. And by the way this is a business, not an institution with the sole aim of making the likes of you and me happy by spending what they cannot afford. And by the way, 4 games in we’re two points off the top.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Give your head a wobble. And by the way this is a business, not an institution with the sole aim of making the likes of you and me happy by spending what they cannot afford. And by the way, 4 games in we’re two points off the top.

I wasnt looking to start a war with anyone, it was meant with just a hint of humour😊.   I so so understand "obviously"  that It is a business, one which so far the owners have failed miserably to succeed with  i.e. we got relegated!! -  because they did not address the rather obvious  problems the club had.    I would also suggest that the team, unless they make some quality signing is not good enough.   We are two points off the top, but Plymouth was just and just and so was QPR.  Dont tell me you were confident in those games.

So, if the cheap signings they have made dont produce the goods then it seems unlikely that at the end of the season we will get promoted.  

I would also suggest that as long time supporters of this club we actually want to be "happy", so its not the sole aim , but by christ its an important part.  End of rant 

1 hour ago, CampionSaint said:

I suspect there has been lots of enquiries about KWP, but we will have a big price tag on his head too.

• Like 1

Right, it's been a quiet few days what with the weekend and bank holiday. Only 4 days until the window slams shut now so things should start to ramp up and I'm hoping for a few surprises and a bit of excitement in terms of incomings. I'll probably end up disappointed but you never know.

• Like 1

I do think there's a number of posters on here who are retroactively justifying the clubs actions. We absolutely should not be looking to spend loads of money, but unless we can get a top quality loan in, I will be disappointed if we haven't spent a decent amount of money for this level on the three key positions of cb, winger and striker (assuming Adams goes.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, legod66 said:

So, if the cheap signings they have made dont produce the goods then it seems unlikely that at the end of the season we will get promoted.  

Fraser, Downs and Holgate won't be cheap. Only one or two Championship sides could afford their wages. The same can be said about the £10m+ we've paid for Charles.

Our success depends on the players brought to the club. When has it been any different?

What exactly did you want the management to do, simply spend more?   

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I do think there's a number of posters on here who are retroactively justifying the clubs actions. We absolutely should not be looking to spend loads of money, but unless we can get a top quality loan in, I will be disappointed if we haven't spent a decent amount of money for this level on the three key positions of cb, winger and striker (assuming Adams goes.)

if we sign Wood, then I feel the club have spent what was needed. Not sure winger has been a priority, but we've bright Fraser in on sizeable wages, so I think they done their duty there. I'm with you on the striker if they don't spend should Che depart.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

if we sign Wood, then I feel the club have spent what was needed. Not sure winger has been a priority, but we've bright Fraser in on sizeable wages, so I think they done their duty there. I'm with you on the striker if they don't spend should Che depart.

Martin has already said we are getting a Tella replacement. If that's the case then we should be spending to make it happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legod66 said:

Jeez where did this manic depressive come from ?

• Haha 4