Who leaves if we are relegated?

stevy777_x

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Adams will be playing Premier League football next year.  That is likely

The numerous Sheffield United fans in my family love him from his time there. If they got promoted, that might be a good fit.

• Like 1

Our championship promotion midfield was Schniederlin 21, Cork 22, Lallana 23, Hammond 28.

Our apart from Fonte and Lambert don't think the rest was amazing. 

Surely the remnants of our squad and reinvesting if we sell, should be able to get at least a competitive side? 

If we get decent manager! 

• Like 2

Praying that JWP hits a 30 yard free-kick before the end of the season to get some hype going again, because otherwise I fear that teams are starting to realise as side from set plays, he is a passive burden in midfield who slows down everything

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Praying that JWP hits a 30 yard free-kick before the end of the season to get some hype going again, because otherwise I fear that teams are starting to realise as side from set plays, he is a passive burden in midfield who slows down everything

I will be interested to see the calibre of club that comes in for him. 

Almost certain Lavia, Salisu and KWP will leave. If we can, I would also sell JWP, Bednarek, Djenepo, Diallo, Armstrong, Onuachu and Stephens.

With Walcott, Moi, Caballero and AMN all leaving it would leave our squad depth as follows;

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy

RB - Tino, Bree

LB - Perraud, Larios

CB - ABK, DCC, new signing, new signing

CM - Alcaraz, Smallbone, new signing, new signing

RW/LW - Sulemana, Tella, Armstrong, Edozie, Orsic, new signing

CF - Adams, Mara, Ballard, new signing

Would leave us needing around 6/7 new signings so lets hope Rasmus is nowhere near the decision making.

Also have the likes of Doyle, Edwards, Payne, Amo-Ameyaw, Meghoma and Dibling who will knocking on the door for some game time.

The recruitment will need to be spot on if we're to stand any chance of returning at the first attempt. It may be the Championship but that squad doesnt fill me with much confidence

Edited by woodsaint1

25 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Almost certain Lavia, Salisu and KWP will leave. If we can, I would also sell JWP, Bednarek, Djenepo, Diallo, Armstrong, Onuachu and Stephens.

With Walcott, Moi, Caballero and AMN all leaving it would leave our squad depth as follows;

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy

RB - Tino, Bree

LB - Perraud, Larios

Would leave us needing around 6/7 new signings so lets hope Rasmus is nowhere near the decision making.

Also have the likes of Doyle, Edwards, Payne, Amo-Ameyaw, Meghoma and Dibling who will knocking on the door for some game time.

The recruitment will need to be spot on if we're to stand any chance of returning at the first attempt. It may be the Championship but that squad doesnt fill me with much confidence

Suspect Adams will be off too, and don't forget Lyanco

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy

RB - Tino, Bree

LB - Perraud, Larios

Orsic will be the first one out the door. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wsaint said:

I hope we can keep Alcaraz, really do like him as a player. Just a shame that we finally sign a couple players with actual promise (Alcaraz and Lavia) and follow it up with this shitbag of a season. 

Charly seems the sort that could get 15 goals from midfield in the Championship.

He cut a very frustrated figure yesterday, where many around him appeared apathetic.

Whether that's 'I'm losing my Premier League player status' or him genuinely caring I don't know.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ant said:

Charly seems the sort that could get 15 goals from midfield in the Championship.

He cut a very frustrated figure yesterday, where many around him appeared apathetic.

Whether that's 'I'm losing my Premier League player status' or him genuinely caring I don't know.

Was very annoyed with himself for missing those two chances it seemed, as you say was one of few players who seemed to care at all yesterday.

• Like 5

My guess:

Salisu, KWP, Stephens, DCC, Lyanco (probably back to Brazil).

Lavia, Sulemana, Tella, Diallo (probably back to France), Stu Armstrong (maybe back north of the border), Orsic (baffling signing, a tick in the plus column having not bought a winger in the summer, I’m sure he’ll do a Vergard Forren and return to his “parent club” in Dinamo this summer).

Adams, Armstrong, Onuachu (panic signing for the route one Manager we sacked a week later).

I don’t think JWP will leave; and depending on price I think ABK could still be around too. Alcaraz and Mara I think will still be here.

On the face of it there aren’t many players that are desirable at the club anymore.

I think the likes of Perraud, Diallo and Lyanco will stay unless we get cut-price offers from their native countries, I can see them leaving.

Tella and Stephens will go, both promoted, as much as there may not be clauses why do either of them deserve to stay with us.

No one is coming in for Bednarek, or Bazunu, or Djenepo etc.

We have a lot of shit in this squad.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

10 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy

RB - Tino, Bree

LB - Perraud, Larios

Broadly agree - I think we could end up with any combination of cbs staying or leaving (except Salisu who’s definitely going). Not fussed cos they’re all a bit sh1t though ABK has potential.

Think Tella will want to go and you can hardly blame him. If Lavia and JWP both leave as I suspect, we might choose to hang on to Diallo (desperate times and all that).

And I think Che will go. I also think we’ll keep Paul.

That will leave us decent at full-back, a complete unknown quantity out wide, and sub-standard right through the spine except for Charlie and possibly ABK. Kind of similar to where we are now to be honest (other than Lavia).

I’m not going to miss any of them too much - Lavia a bit but he’d be gone soon to a better club anyway; a nostalgic nod to the Stuey of 2/3 seasons ago. KWP I guess but soon forgotten if Tino returns fit and on form.

Recruitment will be tough, though. Loans won’t help a lot as our squad is rammed with unproven young talent as it is, and our own youth prospects as well. We need proven goals together with steel and experience in DM, CB and probably GK as well (Bazunu might be ok in championship if we haven’t entirely ruined him this season).

Thats 4 or 5 proper signings that all need to be proven and will therefore cost proper money.

I can’t say I’m feeling too confident 

I guess we should also focus on who we bring in. You'd like to think that we'd try to sign a goalscorer, so here are the top goalscorers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Out of that list (obviously have to discount Tella as he is technically ours) Joel Piroe I'd like to try and see us sign, although Rangers and Burnley are interested so he may have better options than us. Gyokeres would be fantastic but Coventry want £20M for him!

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I guess we should also focus on who we bring in. You'd like to think that we'd try to sign a goalscorer, so here are the top goalscorers

Out of that list (obviously have to discount Tella as he is technically ours) Joel Piroe I'd like to try and see us sign, although Rangers and Burnley are interested so he may have better options than us. Gyokeres would be fantastic but Coventry want £20M for him!

Liam Delap - unfinished business!

11 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

You can add ABK, Adams and Orisic at least to that list, they will all be wanted......well maybe not Orisic but he wont stay.  

3 hours ago, LGTL said:

I’d like to keep Alcaraz. Apart from him, I couldn’t give a fuck if they all leave. 

Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tino - of the current crop I think they will be good for us in the right environment, potential to be standout players next year. If we add Tella and Smallbone to the mix, who have been standout at that level this year, then there is potential. 

One major issue is still present though - no striker. We'll have the same problems if we go into the champ without a striker. Get rid of the 'strikers' we have and actually buy some proper ones. Might be out of our range now, but Gyokeres, Akpom etc would be the sort of level I'd be looking at for next year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tino - of the current crop I think they will be good for us in the right environment, potential to be standout players next year. If we add Tella and Smallbone to the mix, who have been standout at that level this year, then there is potential. 

One major issue is still present though - no striker. We'll have the same problems if we go into the champ without a striker. Get rid of the 'strikers' we have and actually buy some proper ones. Might be out of our range now, but Gyokeres, Akpom etc would be the sort of level I'd be looking at for next year. 

Guess if depends on how much SR want back on their investments. Lavia will go (£50m?), so will KWP (£30m?), Salisu, ABK will fetch an amount and frankly I'd be looking to get rid of most of the rest. Somehow, I think JWP will want to stay though I'd be happy to cash out on him.

I agree Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tino, Tella & Smallbone can help provide a nucleus. We can go fishing in lower than the Championship for strikers (Rickie Lambert only cost £1m) and I don't follow what's coming through the Academy but is there anyone there who doesn't pitch up in the away end at our home games?

Be interesting who goes outside of those out of contract and for what kind of money, 5 in bold are nailed on in my opinion, could have up to £200m coming in.

Lavia - £40-£50m - Will have clubs all over him, can demand a big fee

KWP - £18 - £25m - Upwardly mobile prem clubs will be in, Brighton\Villa\West Ham etc

Salisu - £15-£18m - Most obvious to leave, doesnt want to be here, not in the squad because of it

Orsic - £6m - Will want to jump ship ASAP been a nightmare for him

Che £12-£18m - Promoted team, one of the teams who just stay up will probably come in for him

JWP - £ 35-£45m - Odd one, will want to leave, may leave, fee we'd want probably a stumbling block for teams who will be in for him, bigger clubs likely to go for any of the following before JWP - Rice\Maddison\Telemans\Bellingham\Mac Allister\Caicedo\Neves

ABK - £20m - Up and coming German international, move back to his native Germany 

Bednarek - £10m - Proven international, wont want to play in the championship, a move to a lesser team in Ligue 1, La Laga etc on the cards

DCC - £7m - Proven international, Champions League experience, wont want to play in the championship, a move to a lesser team in Ligue 1, La Laga etc on the cards

Livermento - £20m (Dependant if clubs want to take the punt after the injury, will affect his value)

Tella - will probably want to make him move to Burnley permanent, could probably get £15 - £20m for him.

Onuachu - Loaned out -  If selles gets the job full time, surely Onuachu will want a move, may stay if another manager sees something different in him.

Edited by Dan Johnson

20 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

GK - Bazunu, McCarthy

RB - Tino, Bree

LB - Perraud, Larios

No way Tella will be playing for us next season. Leave him at Burnley on loan to see how he gets on in the PL then recall him if we get promoted and we have the finished article

On 15/04/2023 at 18:55, Nemi said:

The top clubs have known this for a while. He's been with us so long and seen many around him leave and the closest he's come to going is to Watford. 

Will be interesting to see if West Ham/Everton panic splash some money on him, are willing to pay 100k wages, and he wants to go. 

He might want to have a proper deep chat with Southgate and ask realistically if he goes somewhere and has a wonderful season will be anywhere near his plans for Euro 2024? If so, he might push for a move, if not, I suspect he'll not bother.

1 hour ago, Dan Johnson said:

Be interesting who goes outside of those out of contract and for what kind of money, 5 in bold are nailed on in my opinion, could have up to £200m coming in.

KWP - £18 - £25m - Upwardly mobile prem clubs will be in, Brighton\Villa\West Ham etc

Salisu - £15-£18m - Most obvious to leave, doesnt want to be here, not in the squad because of it

Che £12-£18m - Promoted team, one of the teams who just stay up will probably come in for him

JWP - £ 35-£45m - Odd one, will want to leave, may leave, fee we'd want probably a stumbling block for teams who will be in for him, bigger clubs likely to go for any of the following before JWP - Rice\Maddison\Telemans\Bellingham\Mac Allister\Caicedo\Neves

ABK - £20m - Up and coming German international, move back to his native Germany 

Bednarek - £10m - Proven international, wont want to play in the championship, a move to a lesser team in Ligue 1, La Laga etc on the cards

DCC - £7m - Proven international, Champions League experience, wont want to play in the championship, a move to a lesser team in Ligue 1, La Laga etc on the cards

Livermento - £20m (Dependant if clubs want to take the punt after the injury, will affect his value)

Tella - will probably want to make him move to Burnley permanent, could probably get £15 - £20m for him.

Onuachu - Loaned out -  If selles gets the job full time, surely Onuachu will want a move, may stay if another manager sees something different in him.

I think you're probably right on most of these. I don't think Tino will go. He'll probably think a year in the Championship won't do him any harm as he gets his fitness back and club won't want to lose both right backs. 

I think Burnley will be desperate to keep Tella as he's been pivotal for them this season. We might be able to get a good price (a lot more than £15m) as a result. 

1 hour ago, Dan Johnson said:

We'll probably end up with a lot less than that (although only because I don't trust the board to negotiate well).

I doubt we get more than £25-30m for JWP - he has been found out.

Bednarek - the best offer last season was a loan, can't see anyone paying £10m for him

Doubt we'll get £25m for KWP with a year left on his deal.

Orsic - a loan / undisclosed negligible fee at best. Similar for DCC.

Noone sensible is going to risk £20m on Tino when he hasn't played in a year.

• Like 1

I think we'll probably lose around 7 or 8 players, something like JWP, Lavia, KWP, Salisu, Tella, ABK and DCC, maybe Adams too. A season in the championship with Edozie, Livramento and Alcaraz doesn't seem too bad with good re-investment back into the squad - big test for SR and the laptop though

Not 100% convinced Lavia will go just yet. He is clearly going to be a very good top tier player, but he isn't yet. Still only 18, his passing has been erratic lately so wonder if may benefit from more experience before inevitable move to a top club. 

He is unlikely to be a regular starter for a top 8 side just yet

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Not 100% convinced Lavia will go just yet. He is clearly going to be a very good top tier player, but he isn't yet. Still only 18, his passing has been erratic lately so wonder if may benefit from more experience before inevitable move to a top club. 

He is unlikely to be a regular starter for a top 8 side just yet

Lavia will go. One of the top 6 will be in for him. One of them will be so desperate to sign him, just to stop him from going to a rival. The only hope is that if he isn't getting regular football he might think twice about a move. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Lavia will go. One of the top 6 will be in for him. One of them will be so desperate to sign him, just to stop him from going to a rival. The only hope is that if he isn't getting regular football he might think twice about a move. 

Buy and loan back to us for a season. Win win.

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Buy and loan back to us for a season. Win win.

More likely buy and loan to another prem club, or even abroad. No point in loaning him to a Championship side as that would be a backwards step for him.

We need to be really careful around biting the hand that feeds us RE lavia. 

City’s buy back clause doesn’t kick in, until 2024 so theoretically, we’re free to sell in an open market for more than that. However, if City have a serious interest, we should look at striking a deal - maybe agree to sell for 40m this season rather than next. 

the model of getting young talent from bigger clubs will only work if we keep relationships sweet. If we sell him to a rival of city, they’ll no doubt think twice next time we go cup in hand. 

Under no circumstances should be be going for any less than £40m though. 

IMO, it’s £40m to city, £50m to everyone else. 

Edited by Dman

52 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

I think we'll probably lose around 7 or 8 players, something like JWP, Lavia, KWP, Salisu, Tella, ABK and DCC, maybe Adams too. A season in the championship with Edozie, Livramento and Alcaraz doesn't seem too bad with good re-investment back into the squad - big test for SR and the laptop though

People say this but the owners have said that they are committed to taking the club forward whatever the outcome of this season. If players have contracts that are not in their final year then we should expect that those players will not be allowed to leave. Some may ask for transfers but that doesn't mean that their requests will be accepted.

Unlike many pessimists on here I am not expecting a mass exodus and my bet is that even JWP will hang around to try to lead the team back to the PL at the first attempt.

18 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Some may ask for transfers but that doesn't mean that their requests will be accepted.

That is exactly what will happen. We aren't going to say no to the likes of ABK and JWP leaving. We couldn't stop the likes of Lambert, Lovern and Llanna even when we were on the up. No way that anyone with any value will be staying. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

He's now a proven goal scorer.

Not our M.O. to be associated with them so he'll be off.

Not in the Premier league he isn't and we know from experience how much tougher Tella is likely to find it against better defenders as demonstrated by Adams and Armstrong. Both scored far more goals than Tella yet have struggled so I think he still has a lot to prove.

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not in the Premier league he isn't and we know from experience how much tougher Tella is likely to find it against better defenders as demonstrated by Adams and Armstrong. Both scored far more goals than Tella yet have struggled so I think he still has a lot to prove.

It may have slipped your notice, but we won't be in the PL....

On 16/04/2023 at 10:07, Pamplemousse said:

FWIW I’ve seen quite a bit of Swansea this season and Piroe is a proper goal scorer. Cool in front of goal and takes a lot of his chances. Genuinely surprised no one was properly linked with him back in January given the hype around the likes of Semenyo 

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Unlike many pessimists on here I am not expecting a mass exodus and my bet is that even JWP will hang around to try to lead the team back to the PL at the first attempt.

Unless by some miracle we stay up, JWP is leaving; as are Che, Salisu and KWP. 

Others TBC but 2 of the above are done deals and the other two will happen, just need a club to be confirmed.

And to be honest, I’m fine with all 4. Even if we stayed up I reckon I’d only miss KWP from those.