Internationals

Chris cooper

52 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

JWP must ask himself what the point is. He might as well retire from international football when Philips gets a game ahead of him.Β 

The same Phillips who was englands player of the tournament last Euros?Β 
Β 

He’s not played much football and starting here is generous, but it’s obvious southgate is starting him as he see’s him as his starter at the euros come next summer.Β 
Β 

Phillips is disgusting underrated on here, mostly because he (and many others) are picked ahead of JWP

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

54 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

JWP must ask himself what the point is. He might as well retire from international football when Philips gets a game ahead of him.Β 

Β 

42 minutes ago, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

I hope Southgate gets stuffed tonight. Picking Phillips is the reason.

Phillips is unquestionably a better player than JWP and has been excellent for England. You can’t just pick a new team every six months depending on who’s flavour of the month. JWP himself was largely crap before the WC when Lavia was injured.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Β 

Phillips is unquestionably a better player than JWP and has been excellent for England. You can’t just pick a new team every six months depending on who’s flavour of the month. JWP himself was largely crap before the WC when Lavia was injured.

It’s the same story with Pickford. He’s been outstanding for England over the course of 2 tournaments now, yet you still get idiots saying he shouldn’t start.Β 
Β 

I think Lavia shows how average (free kicks aside) JWP is. 18 years of age and considerably better.Β 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s the same story with Pickford. He’s been outstanding for England over the course of 2 tournaments now, yet you still get idiots saying he shouldn’t start.Β 
Β 

I think Lavia shows how average (free kicks aside) JWP is. 18 years of age and considerably better.Β 

harry Kane just become Englands all time top scorer yet some wallys say he shouldn't start!!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Dman said:

Β 

He’s not played much football and starting here is generous, but it’s obvious southgate is starting him as he see’s him as his starter at the euros come next summer.Β 
Β 

Phillips is disgusting underrated on here, mostly because he (and many others) are picked ahead of JWP

England are on Fire tonight.Β  I would say only one player isn't... Phillips.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

harry Kane just become Englands all time top scorer yet some wallys say he shouldn't start!!

I’m not a Southgate fan, I think he lost us the euros, but you cannot knock his team selections. His record has been fantastic.Β 
Β 

I think he’s learning as a manager though, not much more we could have done in the World Cup.Β 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

Β 

He’s not played much football and starting here is generous, but it’s obvious southgateI don't think Phillips is anΒ  is starting him as he see’s him as his starter at the euros come next summer.Β 
Β 

He may have been voted England's player of the last Euro's but, he only really had 1 good game. The others he was nothing special.

For me he just does what most English midfielders could.

Watching the match tonight pretty much confirms my thoughts on him.Β 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boris Karloff said:

Unfortunately I don’t think England pick players based on the fact they are the best at free kicksΒ 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

I’m not a Southgate fan, I think he lost us the euros, but you cannot knock his team selections. His record has been fantastic.Β 
Β 

I think he’s learning as a manager though, not much more we could have done in the World Cup.Β 

I am quick to criticise Southgate but he has got squad together and is loyal to those to have not let him down. Every twat thinking he should constantly chop and change personnel is an idiotΒ 

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

Β 

I dont mind Southgate, his record is excellent, his team selections are generally good, my one criticism of him is in the big games he's not proactive and brave enough. We were at Italy right from the start tonight and this team has such good players going forward they are a match for anyone. I get that he couldn't go gung ho against France as Mbappe would have destroyed us and anyone else but just wish he was a bit braver, made subs earlier, that sort of thing.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Β 

Not on the evidence of this game. Probably what happens when you have 60 minutes all season.Β 

Kane is obviously a brilliant finisher.Β 

However, his all round game is becoming poor. Slow, immobile and turning I to what Rooney did and drops deeper and jogs around much if the game.

Β 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 2

Don't know what Southgate has against foden. If he was any other nationality he plays every game. And he sits on the bench while his city team mates who normally sit on the bench week in start. And he's in incredible form. I'm not in any way a southgate fan I think his record looks better because of past failings but a decent manager would have won at least one of the last big tournaments easily. Saka and foden feeding kane should be unstoppableΒ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Kane is obviously a brilliant finisher.Β 

However, his all round game is becoming poor. Slow, immobile and turning I to what Rooney did and drops deeper and jogs around much if the game.

Β 

That's the opposite to what I was going to post !! I see him getting involved , unselfish . not there just to score but create chances as well as help out when the team is under pressure . Don't think he's slow either , how much better would Saints be if we had Kane on the teamsheet ??

13 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

That's the opposite to what I was going to post !! I see him getting involved , unselfish . not there just to score but create chances as well as help out when the team is under pressure . Don't think he's slow either , how much better would Saints be if we had Kane on the teamsheet ??

About -Β£80m in debt, having spunked the Β£150m received for Kane after 1 good season on a bunch of kids…

11 hours ago, kevdoh said:

Don't know what Southgate has against foden. If he was any other nationality he plays every game. And he sits on the bench while his city team mates who normally sit on the bench week in start. And he's in incredible form. I'm not in any way a southgate fan I think his record looks better because of past failings but a decent manager would have won at least one of the last big tournaments easily. Saka and foden feeding kane should be unstoppableΒ 

the reasoning that any decent manager would have easily won the world cup or Euros by now is mental. We've had much better managers than Southgate who haven't done anywhere nearly as well. Erikson & Capello were up there with the reputations as the best managers in the world when they took the England job, neither got past the quarter finals. Veneables, Robson and Hoddle all probably considered better managers than Southgate and didn't make it past the semi finals. It isn't easy to win tournement football, there are a lot of factors rather than just picking the same team game after game and expecting them to sweep everyone else away. You can make all the arguements you like about what Southgate should and shouldn't have done in various games but he's still only one of two managers to take us to a final and one of only two manager to take us beyond a quarter final when it's not played in England. Give the man some credit.

• Like 2

Certainly doesn’t have to be a choice between club and country. I’m a football fan from Southampton so I support the club that represents my city, equally I’m English so support my national side.

Neither tend to be playing at the same time so can’t see a problem.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Certainly doesn’t have to be a choice between club and country. I’m a football fan from Southampton so I support the club that represents my city, equally I’m English so support my national side.

Neither tend to be playing at the same time so can’t see a problem.

That is the problem. These international weekends take up slots in the footballing calendar. Some of us are old enough to remember when internationals were always played midweek.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Does anyone really give a shit about international football anymore? Really couldn't care less about England.Β 

I love international football. Not an england fan, so i too couldn't care less about england. Northern Ireland swatting aside San Marino made my evening though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That is the problem. These international weekends take up slots in the footballing calendar. Some of us are old enough to remember when internationals were always played midweek.

Wasn’t it changed to allow coaches more time to work with the international squad? They way things are going we won’t have to worry about international breaks next season anyway.

58 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Wasn’t it changed to allow coaches more time to work with the international squad? They way things are going we won’t have to worry about international breaks next season anyway.

Championship games stop still during the breaks. The following season in League 1 will be fine though πŸ˜‰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I think it was. I thought we played better without too much coaching time myself.

58 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Thought I might tune in to watch Scotland this afternoon but it's on something called Viaplay where they want yet another bloody subscription. Well sod that. I'll clean the lawnmower instead.

Whatever they want will be too much to watch Adams miss sitters.

• Like 1