Potter

Kaiser Soze

If he manages again now it'll be Leicester... Think we'd have more chance in the summer if he takes a few months off.  If we are in the championship we'd be an interesting challenge for sure with the young players we have on the books.  

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you have any evidence for that or have you just made it up? 

I think if you read my words you will realise it’s just an educated guess based on a lot of our signings mentioning god in their tweets. Probably reading into too much but I am all ears to anyone who can explain why Ankersen thought Jones was the right man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I think if you read my words you will realise it’s just an educated guess based on a lot of our signings mentioning god in their tweets. Probably reading into too much but I am all ears to anyone who can explain why Ankersen thought Jones was the right man. 

Because Ankersen seems to rate himself as some sort of genius who does things differently and is obsessed with stats. All the talk when Jesus Jones was here was about stats, he even described himself as statistically one of the best managers in Europe. You can imagine the interview with Jones banging on about stats with a massive spreadsheet showing how great his teams are at turnovers, offensive receptions, penetrative runs into the red zones and all the other nonsense they spout these days. ankersen  would have been sitting there with a boner. That’s why he appointed him. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

More chance of being managed by Brian Potter.

...just ahead of Harry, Beatrix and just about every other Potter in the phone book. Even that fella on the Great Pottery Throwdown who's always blubbing would be more likely. GP just looks nailed on for Leicester.

We already have a manager who will stay with us in the Championship for at least the first year so all of the above speculation comes down to the difficulty our fan base has of dealing with reality. If we fail to bounce back then and only then will Selles get the boot. Let the man have his chance of clearing out the players he doesn't want and recruiting one or two of his own. At the moment all he has had to work with are other people's ideas of good players and look how that has turned out.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Roboze said:

Not finishing chances is less about the Manager and more about the quality of the frontline, we bought quality championship forwards..... and they have failed to make the step up...

Which is why we could bring in Potter, we could bring in Guardiola, none of them are going to suddenly going to transform us into a clinical team and no matter who our manager is now we will be relegated by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Because Ankersen seems to rate himself as some sort of genius who does things differently and is obsessed with stats. All the talk when Jesus Jones was here was about stats, he even described himself as statistically one of the best managers in Europe. You can imagine the interview with Jones banging on about stats with a massive spreadsheet showing how great his teams are at turnovers, offensive receptions, penetrative runs into the red zones and all the other nonsense they spout these days. ankersen  would have been sitting there with a boner. That’s why he appointed him. 

Then while Ankersen is in charge we are royally fucked. God knows who the next boffin will be. Or perhaps Ankersen has wised up or perhaps the owner has wised up about Ankersen? 

49 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Then while Ankersen is in charge we are royally fucked. God knows who the next boffin will be. Or perhaps Ankersen has wised up or perhaps the owner has wised up about Ankersen? 

This is the worry. He does seem to think he’s the dogs bolllocks with very little to back it up. Others have already said they didn’t replace him at Brentford as he was the ideas guy taking the credit for others work whilst they reined him in. I think in him and Semmens we’ve got a couple of marketing dreamers all power points,  data and white boards but no substance 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We already have a manager who will stay with us in the Championship for at least the first year so all of the above speculation comes down to the difficulty our fan base has of dealing with reality. If we fail to bounce back then and only then will Selles get the boot. Let the man have his chance of clearing out the players he doesn't want and recruiting one or two of his own. At the moment all he has had to work with are other people's ideas of good players and look how that has turned out.

Do we? Selles has only signed a contract until the end of this season. So, fans speculating on who the manager will be next season is not a `failure to accept reality'. It's a genuine possibility that he does not get a new contract and we appoint someone else. 

4 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

OK then so it's bullshit and you're just making stuff up because you are anti-religion (and you've made that clear repeatedly on here.)

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Absolutely, it has nothing to do with religious nepotism and everything to do with Ankerson thinking he is the smartest person in the room. Someone mentioned the killer powerpoints Jones does for every new signing. I would have loved to have seen some of them.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Is anyone else confused why various managers are picking the same team and not the team the fans would choose, what do the professionals see in training that we don't?

Because the players are whiney little bitches when they do not get their own way?  I would personally use the rest of the season to beast the little feckers every training session until their noses bled.  We are no way as fit & strong as we were under Poch or even Strachan.

In addition, getting relegated deserves training sessions closer to punishment beatings than anyone giving a sh1t about their feelings.

Edited by Killers Knee
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Is anyone else confused why various managers are picking the same team and not the team the fans would choose, what do the professionals see in training that we don't?

Because fans judge players individually and usually based on what they do with the ball. Managers are interested in the team shape and what players do without the ball

• Like 2

Is anyone ITK or we all just wildly speculating?  The club must be chaos at the moment.  We all know that we are going down and that there are going to be major comings and goings over the summer.  Can't believe that the owner is well pleased as we have spent a small fortune on players this season and it has gone badly wrong.  Has anyone heard anything from inside the club?

Having promoted a  Swedish 4th tier side upto the top level, and getting them into CL his move to the UK ,

was predictable and he put together the best side Brighton have ever had, but .as Dirty Harry said..

" ..a man has to know his limitations " ... and his move to Chelsea and , for GP it was  - " One bridge too far."

However, he won't cry for too long, as his pay-off from Chelsea will probably pay a few bills ...for the next decade.

1 minute ago, david in sweden said:

Having promoted a  Swedish 4th tier side upto the top level, and getting them into CL his move to the UK ,

was predictable and he put together the best side Brighton have ever had, but .as Dirty Harry said..

" ..a man has to know his limitations " ... and his move to Chelsea and , for GP it was  - " One bridge too far."

However, he won't cry for too long, as his pay-off from Chelsea will probably pay a few bills ...for the next decade.

He still looked in mental turmoil a bit like Howe after B’mouth failure 

On 03/04/2023 at 08:28, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think in some ways I’d rather that. At least it’ll be entertaining.

Max and Paddy as coaches. Ray Von on the P.A. system. Clinton Baptiste offering half time palm reading and a pint for a tenner. 

Dream team.

• Haha 3

On 03/04/2023 at 16:23, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Because fans judge players individually and usually based on what they do with the ball. Managers are interested in the team shape and what players do without the ball

Doing the opposite is working so well? Maybe we should just try and play the best player in that position who can either create or score a goal!

Playing someone because he stops passes through the lines isn’t helping much

• Like 1

I am not one for ever claiming to be in the know, but in this case I have news for you. I have a very good friend who is a Brighton fan and knew Potter well. He said he would love to manage Saints as he loves the south coast and still has a home down here or very close by. I am not saying he will come, but my mate says he likes us, likes the area and the set up. Let's wait and see.

• Like 2

On 03/04/2023 at 11:26, Raging Bull said:

Said it on the other thread but Michael Carrick has to be worth looking at if Boro don’t go up. 

Agree with you but imagine you are Michael Carrick - comes from NE originally and you have a choice - work for Steve Gibson (patient, sensible) or Ankerson and Semmens with a new, dysfunctional and unhappy club on a 5 year streak of solidly losing and staff turnover rates which are crazy even for football. The organisational culture seems incredibly toxic judging by the limp on field displays and hostile attitude towards us as fans by Semmens/Steele/the bonehead from Millwall which are more defensive than Selles hopeless tactics.

What would you choose? And this will be the problem. Pearson if we wanted him back would have the same dilemma with Steve Landsdowne at Bristol City. Plus they’ve just seen Jones leave a safe space at Luton although he added to the madness already at SFC.

In their shoes, I’d want total control of football matters with Jason Wilcox looking after infrastructure and academy, Ankerson can bring me suggestions and scouting but 100% my decision as to whether I buy them. Own coaching staff and leadership team to transform the culture and make it one club and one city again. None of which a new manager will get, so it’ll be Selles or a hipster appointment with Poortvliet levels gratitude for the job.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Agree with you but imagine you are Michael Carrick - comes from NE originally and you have a choice - work for Steve Gibson (patient, sensible) or Ankerson and Semmens with a new club on a 5 year streak of solidly losing. What would you choose? And this will be the problem.

We'd have a better chance persuading Jose Fonte to come here and I think he is going to be a very good manager if he retires as a player at the end of this season. He's been a tremendous captain for both Saints and Lille and he's helped develop so many youngsters who've played alongside him: Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk, Gabriel, Botman etc.  I'm sure he'd do the same as a manager. He's also highly respected in Europe and would be able attract good players here, especially from Portugal and France. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Agree with you but imagine you are Michael Carrick - comes from NE originally and you have a choice - work for Steve Gibson (patient, sensible) or Ankerson and Semmens with a new, dysfunctional and unhappy club on a 5 year streak of solidly losing and staff turnover rates which are crazy even for football. The organisational culture seems incredibly toxic judging by the limp on field displays and hostile attitude towards us as fans by Semmens/Steele/the bonehead from Millwall which are more defensive than Selles hopeless tactics.

What would you choose? And this will be the problem. Pearson if we wanted him back would have the same dilemma with Steve Landsdowne at Bristol City. Plus they’ve just seen Jones leave a safe space at Luton although he added to the madness already at SFC.

In their shoes, I’d want total control of football matters with Jason Wilcox looking after infrastructure and academy, Ankerson can bring me suggestions and scouting but 100% my decision as to whether I buy them. Own coaching staff and leadership team to transform the culture and make it one club and one city again. None of which a new manager will get, so it’ll be Selles or a hipster appointment with Poortvliet levels gratitude for the job.

All valid points, and sadly you might be correct.

This has to change 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻 to an owner/manager decision making process.

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Like 1

On 03/04/2023 at 10:38, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Think his ridiculously good job at Luton was probably just slightly ahead of his religious beliefs in reasons to employ him.

10 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

All valid points, and sadly you might be correct.

This has to change 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻 to an owner/manager decision making process.

This tweet is slightly disingenuous to be fair. It was explained at the time that the owner and manager did the recruitment (manager stating what qualities he wanted and owner finding those players) because they had unexpectedly lost their head of recruitment and would be a January only thing. So no, it shouldn't be an owner/manager decision making process going forward. 

Edited by Fabrice29

10 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

We'd have a better chance persuading Jose Fonte to come here and I think he is going to be a very good manager if he retires as a player at the end of this season. He's been a tremendous captain for both Saints and Lille and he's helped develop so many youngsters who've played alongside him: Lovren, Alderweireld, van Dijk, Gabriel, Botman etc.  I'm sure he'd do the same as a manager. He's also highly respected in Europe and would be able attract good players here, especially from Portugal and France. 

Agree that we’d stand a good chance of attracting him to the club, and that he has potential to make a decent manager. He was an excellent leader in the pitch but you’re probably overestimating his influence as Lovren, Alderweirald, were  internationals on arrival, and VVD reasonably established.

In terms of our next manager, and red and white tinted glasses aside, should we entrust it to an untried candidate?

Probably won’t happen as it seems unlikely Rasmus will delve into our history. Strikes me as someone who believes the club only started the day he arrived.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree that we’d stand a good chance of attracting him to the club, and that he has potential to make a decent manager. He was an excellent leader in the pitch but you’re probably overestimating his influence as Lovren, Alderweirald, were  internationals on arrival, and VVD reasonably established.

In terms of our next manager, and red and white tinted glasses aside, should we entrust it to an untried candidate?

Probably won’t happen as it seems unlikely Rasmus will delve into our history. Strikes me as someone who believes the club only started the day he arrived.

Have I missed all the experienced/proven signings the club have made since SR came here then? Literally almost every appointment and signing they have made have been untried.

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

Have I missed all the experienced/proven signings the club have made since SR came here then? Literally almost every appointment and signing they have made have been untried.

Fair point, I too have little confidence in them (Rasmus) and the selections.

That said, Jones did have a record in the Championship as a manager.  It wasn’t and shouldn’t have been enough for his appointment,  and we all knew it was destined to fail. But it was a track record of some description.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Fair point, I too have little confidence in them (Rasmus) and the selections.

That said, Jones did have a record in the Championship as a manager.  It wasn’t and shouldn’t have been enough for his appointment,  and we all knew it was destined to fail. But it was a track record of some description.

I didn't say anything about having little confidence in them and their selections fwiw. 

17 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I didn't say anything about having little confidence in them and their selections fwiw. 

Okay, so going back to the point I was responding to, would you look to appoint a manager with no previous experience? 

Or be happy with the choice if the club did ? 

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Okay, so going back to the point I was responding to, would you look to appoint a manager with no previous experience? 

Or be happy with the choice if the club did ? 

Experience and lack of experience isn't something I would particularly judge people on so no, I'd have no issue with it specifically. 

On 02/04/2023 at 14:32, OttawaSaint said:

More chance of us getting Harry Potter.

This is an acceptable appointment for me. While inexperienced, he has shown great success on the quidditch pitch, and he has brought back teams from worse circumstances.

Edited by St. Ciervo

On 03/04/2023 at 16:21, Killers Knee said:

Because the players are whiney little bitches when they do not get their own way?  I would personally use the rest of the season to beast the little feckers every training session until their noses bled.  We are no way as fit & strong as we were under Poch or even Strachan.

In addition, getting relegated deserves training sessions closer to punishment beatings than anyone giving a sh1t about their feelings.

Seeing as Ankersen likes a revolutionary approach someone should suggest electric shocks and white noise for the players and waterboarding for the chimps operating the ‘black box’. 

I think Selles will move on at the end of the season either way. The likelihood we’ll be going down.

I honestly don’t think Graham Potter to Saints is unrealistic thinking. Sometimes you have to take one step back to move two forward again. 
Many good managers go to the Championship. It is after all the 6th best league in the world (Ankersen quote 🙄).

Given his ties to the club too, there’s a long term project here. I think it’s a big opportunity.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think Selles will move on at the end of the season either way. The likelihood we’ll be going down.

I honestly don’t think Graham Potter to Saints is unrealistic thinking. Sometimes you have to take one step back to move two forward again. 
Many good managers go to the Championship. It is after all the 6th best league in the world (Ankersen quote 🙄).

Given his ties to the club too, there’s a long term project here. I think it’s a big opportunity.

Ties to the club 😂

He hardly loved the place when here ffs. Literally has talked about being under appreciated as a person throughout his playing career and using it to inspire him as a manger. He isn’t taking our club in the Championship. 

He made 8 appearances - 😂

• Haha 2

The dictionary definition of "Saints-tinted spectacles".

Jesus wept.

• Haha 1