Potter

Kaiser Soze

Why do people think we have a cats hells chance of getting Potter?

He'll wait it out until the summer and end up at somewhere like Palace, WHU, maybe even Leicester if they stay up with a temp guy. We're not even on his radar, time we woke up to that.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He'll wait it out until the summer and end up at somewhere like Palace, WHU, maybe even Leicester if they stay up with a temp guy. We're not even on his radar, time we woke up to that.

Because he's a Saints legend who will feel an affinity with the club 

• Haha 5

Why would he come here?  He did really well at Brighton, but they are a well run club with a sensible recruitment strategy.  Our problems will not be solved by getting in a good manager.  We had one in Ralph and he got burnt out trying.  Our problems start at the top, and won't get sorted until SR are history. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Newspaper reports suggest he was on £10m to £12m a year, 7 months into a 5 year contract. He’s got enough money to wait it out until the summer or even later and see what his options are. I don’t think Chelsea will damage his reputation too much, he’s done a bit of a shit job there but I get the feeling it’s a bit of a basket case of a club and their transfer strategy has been somewhat illogical. Getting a PL job or even a top side abroad shouldn’t be a problem for him.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kaiser Soze said:

Get on the phone to him now.

10 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This entirely!

If he's not our manager by the end of the week it's simply because we didn't try hard enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Palace will be at the front of the queue come summer.

Brighton's greatest ever managers don't tend to end up managing at Crystal Palace. Try again.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Brighton's greatest ever managers don't tend to end up managing at Crystal Palace. Try again.

Quite.  Brighton is near the sea, Chelsea isn't (even though it has the word in it).  Ergo, he will come to Southampton which is near the sea and be brilliant again.

You 'see' it's the sea that brings out the best in PoTtEr.  Why has no-one else seen this, nurse, nurse?

Going to Palace would be a Harry'n'Jim moment and probably wouldn't end well.

If I was running the club I'd be on the phone to him. The worst he could do is say no. But I doubt they'll even try. 

It'll either be Selles next season or a hipster from the Danish third division. 

This had got Potter to Leicester written all over it. 

in any case I think I might alone in the hype here, his premier league finishes have been 17 (taking over from Houghron)  15, 16, 9. Plus only once had his Brighton team scored more than 40 goals. Not good enough for a fan base that wanted a manager sacked who finished 8th and scored 41. Potter is the wrong man for the I want to be entertained brigade. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Think you are wrong. If Sports Republic are genuinely in the game to take us forward I am sure they could offer GP an attractive package, even if the journey is likely to start in the second tier. We should be moving heaven and earth to make this happens. But I have no faith in Ankersen. Maybe Potter is not in the right lodge or maybe he’s not a church goer? I don’t know but my faith in us doing the right thing is diminished. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Think you are wrong. If Sports Republic are genuinely in the game to take us forward I am sure they could offer GP an attractive package, even if the journey is likely to start in the second tier. We should be moving heaven and earth to make this happens. But I have no faith in Ankersen. Maybe Potter is not in the right lodge or maybe he’s not a church goer? I don’t know but my faith in us doing the right thing is diminished. 

Why are you going on about religion? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

You would pretty much have to pay that Chelsea contract payment out to get him as much as I like to have him here.

More realistic shouts would be Moyes (when he gets the boot) or Rodgers.

Rodgers Will get another premier league job, he still has a good reputation. Reckon he’ll end up at Palace and Potter at Leicester. 

Forest manager might be available soon as well, they are running out of patience with him. Might be alright for us the championship 

• Like 2

Would he even make that much difference? Not saying he isn’t a good manager but at Brighton it wasn’t until end of last season / this season he was really getting results. 

Brighton were playing some good football under him but were notorious for not finishing their chances - let’s be honest if he came here he’d probably have us playing better football, but he isn’t going to suddenly magic up the goals we need to avoid relegation

• Like 1

Potters problems at Chelsea emanated largely from the fact that they couldn't score goals (sound familiar?). If he struggled to get goals out of the highly expensive, multi talented squad at Chelsea, how on earth would he get goals from our donkeys? It's a non starter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Potters problems at Chelsea emanated largely from the fact that they couldn't score goals (sound familiar?). If he struggled to get goals out of the highly expensive, multi talented squad at Chelsea, how on earth would he get goals from our donkeys? It's a non starter. 

Brighton didn’t score many either, maybe it’s him?

41 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Think you are wrong. If Sports Republic are genuinely in the game to take us forward I am sure they could offer GP an attractive package, even if the journey is likely to start in the second tier. We should be moving heaven and earth to make this happens. 

What do you think would be an attractive package for someone earning £10M a year for the next 4.5 years?

50 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

😂😂

1 minute ago, saintant said:

I'm sure Rasmus has been tracking Potter for months and has algorithms and spreadsheets on him pasted all over the walls of his office.

Potter isn’t out of the box thinking. He’s the obvious appointment. You don’t get to do a Ted talk and be two time 4.5 star rated book writer on Amazon by doing what’s obvious. 

25 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Why the fuck would he want to come here? 

For the same reason we are told by the forum's pathological optimists that we should go "all out" and get one of the following names who have popped up on here this season:

Thomas Frank (the original heir to RH...while he was still managing in a lower division)

Poch (for old times' sake... despite him ditching us while we were still a top 10 side)

Thomas Tuchel (similar to Poch, he wasn't interested 7 years ago)

Brendan Rodgers (criticised us for lacking ambition as, yet again, a top 10 side)

1. There is zero chance Potter will want to come to a team in a mess and heading for the Championship when he can wait 'til the summer and probably have a pick of decent mid table clubs to choose from.

2. Just me that thinks he's over-hyped? Had his struggles at Brighton last season (they went six home games without scoring) and they have improved since he left, then he turned Chelsea into a shitshow. Not saying I wouldn't have him here but not sure he's as good as many make him out to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemi said:

Would he even make that much difference? Not saying he isn’t a good manager but at Brighton it wasn’t until end of last season / this season he was really getting results. 

Brighton were playing some good football under him but were notorious for not finishing their chances - let’s be honest if he came here he’d probably have us playing better football, but he isn’t going to suddenly magic up the goals we need to avoid relegation

Not finishing chances is less about the Manager and more about the quality of the frontline, we bought quality championship forwards..... and they have failed to make the step up...