Arsenal 3-3 Saints - Match Thread

Pilchards

Just now, MAY-Z said:

That’s completely irrelevant at the 87 minute mark when you are 3-1 up.

I just presumed Ely was coming off when Diallo was coming on, seemed the simple obvious change, so obviously that didn’t happen

and baz, ffs 2 weeks in a row setting everything up on the penalty spot.

3 weeks in a row, City, palace and now Arsholesanal

I have to wonder what game some of you lot watch. That wasn’t a gutless performance at all, we were within a gnats cock of beating the season long league leaders. Yes we blew the lead at the end but most on here were predicting an absolute drubbing. We’re going down but I have no problem with that performance tonight.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Prowsy was fuming when that third goal went in. Then again I’d be fuming if I was watching Bazunu palming it back to an opposition striker every match.

Watch is not turn up in the next game and revert to a similar performance to that of Palace/Forest etc.

Honestly i'd put much more of the blame on the freedom of the city they were given from the throw in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Thought JWP was immense today defensively.

Apart from letting the 3rd go through his legs, straight to the striker. 

In his defence, a midfield 3 of Moi, diallo and him is disgustingly weak. 

Disappointing, I'm glad with our attitude, we showed we want to get into every game with a strong mentality. 

Lavia should've come out, not Alcaraz, who should not have left the pitch to be replaced by Diallo until added on time.

Pegging the team back completely with two lines of 5, sitting way too deep with 15 minutes to play, allowing Arsenal and especially Odegaard (ZERO pressure in the build up to both goals) to come at us and pick passes in the final third killed us. You can't lock up with so much time to go. 

A draw is a good result, but the way in which things have ended means that our confidence boost is muted.

In any case, this frustrating outcome at a big game for the PL season will have given us some fire and hope, which I believe will be enough to see us beat Bournemouth. It all feels a little too late, but..

• Like 3

Just now, Chez said:

need to watch again, but wasn't it a good save?

It was a save but he could have palmed it sideways. By pushing it back onto the penalty spot he's offering whoever is stood there a free shot while he's on the ground.

What pisses me off most about this bunch of cunts is they prove in games like this they are capable of competing with the league’s best teams but then throw in 6 or 7 gash flaccid effort-free performances against the likes of Palace and Wham. Fuck the lot of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Prowsy was fuming when that third goal went in. Then again I’d be fuming if I was watching Bazunu palming it back to an opposition striker every match.

Fuck me. I’m not a fane of Baz, but he made a good save and it fell to one of them.

They handed us a goal, and everyone would have taken a point. Whether it’s a good point depends on other results this weekend. You can question this lots commitment all season, and I have frequently, but not tonight. Great performance . 

• Like 14

I’ve calmed down and taken my meds. this is the time to get behind the team. take the point forget about how we got it. i’ve just realised being negative is what we don’t need right now to stay up. until next week when selles and co will once again become fucking useless bottlejobs

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

At least we learned that the "get it in the mixer for Onuachu" approach that so many seem to think is the path to glory is another dead end.

Lumbering donkey didn't win a single thing in the air. 

he's pretty crap in the air from the hoofed long balls. Much worse than Crouch used to be.

He did hold the ball up pretty well on one occasion, down the right wing.  Other than that it was chasing shadows...as it was for AA before him.

2 minutes ago, HedgeEnder said:

I have to wonder what game some of you lot watch. That wasn’t a gutless performance at all, we were within a gnats cock of beating the season long league leaders. Yes we blew the lead at the end but most on here were predicting an absolute drubbing. We’re going down but I have no problem with that performance tonight.

I get what you’re saying, but fact is that we were two goals up with 88 minutes on the clock and fucked it up.

If we were mid table then we wouldn’t be so pissed, but we’ve somehow come away feeling worse than we did before kick-off.

Absolutely mental.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me. I’m not a fane of Baz, but he made a good save and it fell to one of them.

They handed us a goal, and everyone would have taken a point. Whether it’s a good point depends on other results this weekend. You can question this lots commitment all season, and I have frequently, but not tonight. Great performance . 

Well said LD

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HedgeEnder said:

Gutless and useless led by a useless manager.........JWP is a useless player albeit his free kicks and be will no loss whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Lavia stays on and we win that game I have no doubt, both goals came from shots on the edge of the box.

I am wondering, was he not also out on his feet? I'd be surprised if he was in a worse state than Ely, but he had to be struggling, surely?

• Like 1

Selles with Ralph like subs and tactics ..

can’t wait for this season to be over 

88 mins .. 1-3 up and  nearly fucking lose the game at the end .. alcaraz decision and taking lavia off instead of uselessy was an absolute scandal from Selles .. deserve to go down from shit decisions

• Like 1

I would have willingly taken a 4 goal defeat before the match so coming away with a point is a relief. Yes it could have been 3 , yes it is the hope that kills you and yes I still think that we will be relegated. However after that performance  there is still a chance of a Great Escape. 

I don't get all the negativity on this forum. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Good save and bazunu aren’t often seen together. 

Hard and low down at grass level. He did well to stop them.

It was Sulemana’s slip that let them score but more significant was the decision to sit back and try to defend against the league leaders for what turned out to be over 55 minutes.

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

At least we learned that the "get it in the mixer for Onuachu" approach that so many seem to think is the path to glory is another dead end.

Lumbering donkey didn't win a single thing in the air. 

He did, don't know what game u were watching, brought it down on his chest at least twice.

Shame we couldn’t get the win but a good game all the same. Tottenham gave up a 3-1 lead against us so at least we have the excuse of playing the league leaders. I had accepted relegation before the game but it has at least shown we can still play football sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sorry Duck, but it sums us up and where we are. 

despite the manager doing his best to fuck us up, we battled well and generally defended really well. 

Once the second went in, it was obvious we’d concede another, you see the life get sucked out of us. 

A team full of fucking bottlers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I get what you’re saying, but fact is that we were two goals up with 88 minutes on the clock and fucked it up.

If we were mid table then we wouldn’t be so pissed, but we’ve somehow come away feeling worse than we did before kick-off.

Absolutely mental.

Believe me mate I’m as gutted as you are about pissing away that lead but we are bottom of the table for good reason. We’re shit but gave a good account of ourselves tonight. Roll on the Championship!

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Shady said:

Shame we couldn’t get the win but a good game all the same. Tottenham gave up a 3-1 lead against us so at least we have the excuse of playing the league leaders. I had accepted relegation before the game but it has at least shown we can still play football sometimes. 

Which begs the question, why wait until now?

15 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

We thoroughly deserve relegation.

Bournemouth were pegged back at Spurs but rallied to win 3-2 and our lot fucking choked and pissed away any hope we had. Pathetic gutless prick!

Bournemouth were recently 2-0 up at Arsenal and lost 3-2 deep in stoppage time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tamesaint said:

I don't get all the negativity on this forum. 

What’s not to get?

Perhaps it might have something to do with throwing away 3-1 lead in the 88th minute…and not being surprised!

2 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

88 mins is a bit misleading when there were 10 mins played after. 2 goals let in in 12 mins has happened to a lot better sides than us. It’s bizarre to read the manager getting stick, when tactically he got it right and the players getting clog when they actually showed some fight. WTF are some of our supporters on? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, HedgeEnder said:

Believe me mate I’m as gutted as you are about pissing away that lead but we are bottom of the table for good reason. We’re shit but gave a good account of ourselves tonight. Roll on the Championship!

I think we did for certain parts of the game, but how this bunch folded on 88 mins was unacceptable really. For professional players to sink like they did was embarrassing and they need to look at themselves in the mirror. This isn't a new thing, they consistently throw away games because they're bottlers.

Neville said before the game (was in reference to Arsenal not holding onto leads in recent weeks), when you’re up against it, you need someone to hold the ball or you end up dropping deeper and deeper. 

Taking Lavia off removed our ability to hold on to the ball, have them space and is what lead to the 2 goals. 

Can console myself that a draw is a decentcreturn but not when you have a 2 goal lead with a few minutes to go.

They played well, what I could see, for the first 70 mins. Bunch of idiots in front of us sadly.

Once the subs came on, and our 2 best players were removed, it was always on the cards.

Why Armstrong, like Aribo last week just ridiculous.

I like Bazunu but he has cost us this year gifting the ball in the penalty area. McCarthy should have been given a chance.

Maybe that performance will boost them for Bournmouth and Forest.

Sadly I suspect the weak squad will cost us in those games as well.

Crucially that point puts us in contact with Forest and Everton.

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It was Sulemana’s slip that let them score but more significant was the decision to sit back and try to defend against the league leaders for what turned out to be over 55 minutes.

we spent pretty much the whole 90 minutes hanging on for grim life.  The only difference was we added a CB, which to fair made us a bit tighter and harder to break down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

88 mins is a bit misleading when there were 10 mins played after. 2 goals let in in 12 mins has happened to a lot better sides than us. It’s bizarre to read the manager getting stick, when tactically he got it right and the players getting clog when they actually showed some fight. WTF are some of our supporters on? 

He didn’t. Taking Lavia off cost us that game. Pure and simple .

• Like 2