Line up next season

ally_uk

Who would you like to see in the first team next season? 

Keep the lineup realistic

Ultimate fantasy scenario keep Lavia for one more season. 

Bazunu, Tella, Smallbone, Alcarez, Sulemana, Bednerek, Stephens, livramento, Perraud, Edozie 

Ballard + Doyle 

Mara and a new striker 

Walcot maybe for one more season.

And bring in some experience another Def Mid, centre back. 

Just now, ally_uk said:

Who would you like to see in the first team next season? 

Keep the lineup realistic

Ultimate fantasy scenario keep Lavia for one more season. 

Bazunu, Tella, Smallbone, Alcarez, Sulemana, Bednerek, Stephens, livramento, Perraud, Edozie 

Ballard + Doyle 

Mara and a new striker 

Walcot maybe for one more season.

And bring in some experience another Def Mid, centre back. 

Would Walcott be cost effective ?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

What happens to the others that still have valid contracts?  Do we honour those contracts or just ignore them?

It could be argued that they have spent the entire season in breach of their side of the agreements.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

realistically, I'd like to see something like this, although I wouldn't be surprised if a few of these left. 

New Keeper 

Tino Bednerak Stephens Perraud 

New DM (wouldn't be adverse to this being a been there and done it championship player, someone like Jack Cork...)

Stu Alacaraz

Sulemana New CF Tella 

---------------------

Leaving to make up a bench; 

Bazunu

Bree

New CB (depending on quality switch out for bednerak / stephens) - ideally an older head, bit of a leader. 

New DM 

Smallbone 

Aribo

Edozie 

Tall Paul 

Mara 

Doyle 

Ballard 

In an ideal/realistic world:

New GK

Livramento - Stephens - New CB - New LB

Two new CM's (Expect JWP, Lavia and Diallo to leave)

Sulemana - Alcaraz - Tella/Edozie

New ST

Have no idea who we should sign, mind. Hopefully players coming into their peak. Considering all the profit we made off players like Ings, Lambert, Lovren, Van Dijk.... The list goes on, it's strange how the club turned to youth to make profits.

Assuming Che goes to another Prem team we’d definitely be wise to take a look at the Championship top 3 scorers this season of Akpom, Gyorkeres and Morris as possible replacements, even 2 of them if funds allow. 

In terms of goalkeeper it’d be good to sign an older head with the experience needed to lead a promotion charge if the club are serious about automatic promotion straight back to the Prem. Some back up GKs from Prem clubs like Begovic or Adrian on loan for the season would help much the same way Kelvins wise head was beneficial to the squad in 11/12.

Keep McCarthy if his pay will be low enough. Otherwise Bazunu plus an old head.

Tino, Bree, Larios. Ideally keep Perraud. If not, need a new LB.

At CB, the only one I'd actually want to keep is Bednarek, funnily enough. Salisu clearly wants out. ABK too good but misses a lot of games. Stephens.. meh. Lyanco, too mental.

We should try to negotiate with City and Lavia to sell now with a loan back for another year. Unlikely, I guess.

So that leaves Smallbone. Diallo can leave. Need some experience at CM.

We should do whatever we can to keep Alcaraz. I'd give Walcott another year if he'll take sensible wages. I'd also keep Djenepo, and Edozie should get a chance. Supplement with a nipper. If Tella is around too, then great.

Aribo and Moi can do one. Stuart Armstrong seems to have fitness issues now. Orsic... lol.

Up front, I'd keep Tall Paul and look to shift everyone else. Adams will be wanted by lower Prem teams.

So, basically, need a rebuild at CB, CM and striker, and hopefully one or two of the youth can come through. CB and CM needs to be folk with leadership attributes.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 3

If I had to have a punt now....big changes this summer. Whether we'll be able to shift this many it remains to be seen.

Squad of 22 + kids

GK: Bazunu, Macca, New

RB: Tino, Bree
LB: Perraud, Larios
CB: Bednarek, Stephens, NEW, NEW

CM: NEW, NEW, Smallbone; Alcaraz, SArmstrong,
LM/RM: Sulemena, Tella, NEW, Edozie, Dibling

ST; NEW, Mara, Ballard

Leaves the below going: 18!!!

Caballero
KWP, Lyanco, Salisu, ABK, DCC, AMN
Diallo, JWP, Lavia, 
Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Aribo, Walcott, Orsic
Che, AArmstrong, Onuachu

42 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If I had to have a punt now....big changes this summer. Whether we'll be able to shift this many it remains to be seen.

Squad of 22 + kids

ST; NEW, Mara, Ballard

Caballero
Diallo, JWP, Lavia, 
Che, AArmstrong, Onuachu

The CM looks unbalanced to me. Stu is liability unless he is further forward, too weak/lazy and gives the ball away in dangerous positions. He only works in a more attacking role, and tbh not very well there for the last two years. Alcarez looks best, for me, in a attacking AM role. I'm not sure how smallbone plays now but we look two players light in CM or DM roles. 

3 hours ago, West end Saints said:

The CM looks unbalanced to me. Stu is liability unless he is further forward, too weak/lazy and gives the ball away in dangerous positions. He only works in a more attacking role, and tbh not very well there for the last two years. Alcarez looks best, for me, in an attacking AM role. I'm not sure how smallbone plays now but we look two players light in CM or DM roles. 

That’s why I put 2 new players in there, CM/AM are pretty fluid, cos it depends on systems etc, 442, 433, 4231, 

Love that people think clubs who avoid relegation or go up are going to be queueing up to sign Adams, Dialo and Sulemana. If I were a West Ham, Bournemouth or Sheff Utd I'd want my club to be setting their sights a lot higher than our lot.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Love that people think clubs who avoid relegation or go up are going to be queueing up to sign Adams, Dialo and Sulemana. If I were a West Ham, Bournemouth or Sheff Utd I'd want my club to be setting their sights a lot higher than our lot.

Shit point. Villa took Bednarek, so there is hope for everyone...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bazanu or McCarthy

Tino, Bednarek, DCC, Perraud

New Dm, New DM

Smallbone, Alcaraz, 

Tella, Mara

This is not unrealistic in my opinion as August line up.  Assumes sale of JWP and Lavia, KWP, Salisu, ABK and Adams.  The big gap is clear and we need a Dean Hammond type character who is decent, but not special, on the ball but really puts a shift in

Edited by Forester
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Sulemena has had half a season, playing for a shit team, managed by Jones and Selles. There’s no doubt he’s got something about him at his age.

Adams is a good player as he’s shown over the last few years, but he’s not a natural goalscorer. He will have suitors. 

Diallo I’m assuming we’ll flog back to France or something, 

• Like 2

It’s okay naming most of the current team in for next season but remember if we make it back up up again they will struggle.

It needs a whole rebuild and the momentum to take you up the leagues like we did with Lallana, Fonte and Lambert etc.

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

It’s okay naming most of the current team in for next season but remember if we make it back up up again they will struggle.

It needs a whole rebuild and the momentum to take you up the leagues like we did with Lallana, Fonte and Lambert etc.

It’s a fair point RE momentum. We have a bunch of weak losers throughout the squad, all are used to losing and stricken with fear.  

It’ll take a while (or a shit load of new players) to change that. 

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Sulemena has had half a season, playing for a shit team, managed by Jones and Selles. There’s no doubt he’s got something about him at his age.

Adams is a good player as he’s shown over the last few years, but he’s not a natural goalscorer. He will have suitors. 

Diallo I’m assuming we’ll flog back to France or something, 

I’d love for us to build a championship side around Sulemana and Alcaraz. I think the pair of them would rip that league up and give vital experience in English football. 

• Like 1

Latest Athletic article summed up - ‘that player you think is leaving is probably leaving, the ones you didn’t probably aren’t but everything we say is with a huge caveat that it could change when the club and player decide at the end of the season’

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

100% agree with this. I especially can’t believe anyone is endorsing Bednarek/Stephens staying when we’ve been trying to replace them both for years. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Squad of 22 + kids

ST; NEW, Mara, Ballard

Caballero
Diallo, JWP, Lavia, 
Che, AArmstrong, Onuachu

Suspect you can swap these around fwiw.

If we get a decent manager and a couple of decent replacements we should be competitive:

Keeper, I think Bazunu could be OK with another year experience and hopefully less in the firing line. 

RB we have two who I think both are good for this level. (Bree and Liv) 

LB - prob need to sign

CB - we have 6 and I can't see them all leaving, so not likely to be a panic area but may need some balancing.

C Midfield I see as one our priority. I would like to see Alcarez as our more advanced in a pair (although need to remember his age and will have dips in form), with Smallbone as another option. 

That leaves an controlling, prob experienced, captain type midfielder. 

Attacking options

Tella maybe here

Sulemana

Edozie

Dibling

Maybe Aribo at that level, and a manager able to find his role? 

Maybe Djenepo within the squad. 

CF

New?! 

Mara

Ballard

Not seen enough of Onuachu? 

Che would be decent and may stay, if those both go will need to sign a couple. 

Both Armstrongs need to go. Stu has been very poor for at least a couple of seasons, Adam needs a complete confidence reset. 

Orsic, God knows what's going on but can't want to be here now. 

Diallo, Ely, Walcott go. 

I wouldn't be against Djenepo within the squad 

I don't think the squad will be as big, so prioritise few key signings

1) CM 

2) goal scoring forward (a new concept!) 

3) more experienced attacking midfielder to compliment Edozie, Sulemana

4) LB

• Like 1

Heard we are expecting 8 first teamers leaving, 9 if jwp wants to leave.

Perraud only one I've been told is defo going but I'm assuming that's. 

Lavia

Bazunu 

Perraud

Walcott

Abk 

Kwp

Che

Bednarek

Edited by Deanovski

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

you watch, he wills score loads of them

He may well do, but I don't think we should ever look back on him as a missed opportunity if that does happen. He has stunk this place out for 2 years, sometimes players just don't fit a club for whatever reason and no matter how you try and prolong it - it won't change.

I'd be more focused on building a team of players who could make the step up to the PL, rather than keeping around the guys who have failed us - as we all know they can't make the step up.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Deanovski said:

Lavia

Bazunu 

Perraud

Walcott

Abk 

Kwp

Che

Bednarek

Who would sign Bazunu from us? I'm not even convinced he's a Championship standard goalkeeper at the minute. He's only proven himself at midtable League One sides. 

5 hours ago, Deanovski said:

Lavia

Bazunu 

Perraud

Walcott

Abk 

Kwp

Che

Bednarek

Salisu instead of bazunu surely

• Like 1

On 05/05/2023 at 00:46, Nieldy said:

I would be happy to give Adam Armstrong a chance as he has proven it at Championship level.

Me too. Yes he's been crap in the PL, but he's shown that he can do it at a level below. It would be mad to get rid of him without giving him a chance for half a season at least when we go down, and under a manager who isn't a clown. It's not like goal scorers, even at the Championship level, are ten a penny.

I won't be happy if rumours that he's off to Ipswich are true, unless of course we bring in someone like Ings or Broja (which is highly unlikely).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Me too. Yes he's been crap in the PL, but he's shown that he can do it at a level below. It would be mad to get rid of him without giving him a chance for half a season at least when we go down, and under a manager who isn't a clown. It's not like goal scorers, even at the Championship level, are ten a penny.

I won't be happy if rumours that he's off to Ipswich are true, unless of course we bring in someone like Ings or Broja (which is highly unlikely).

Zero guarantees on that one...

This hopefully is a unique opportunity for a major clear out of the dross we've kept for too long: McCarthy, Bednarek, Stephens, lyanco, moi, djenepo, A Armstrong, Walcott can all go as far as I'm concerned.

I can't see us keeping ABK, KWP, Salisu, JWP, Lavia and by the sounds of it Perraud.

Hopefully we'll be able to keep che, Livramento and Alcarez.

In which case the first team is going to be a bit threadbare:

Bazunu;

Livramento, 2 * New CBs, Larios;

Smallbone, New CM;

Sulemana, Alcarez, Edozie;

Che.

With the likes of Ballard and Doyle coming through, I fully expect us to neglect a striker unless Che goes.

Should be interesting...

• Confused 1