Lyanco and next season

washsaint

No matter that he is not the most skilful or talented player we have, he has heart.  We will need him next season and, as much as it pains me to say it, him and Bednarek at CB could be the experienced pairing we need next season.

Really hope 80% of our squad is gone and that Selles gives some game time only to those who are in the plans for next season - and hopefully that includes Ballard, Doyle and Payne.

Anything but the abject failures we have had to put up with this season.  List could be endless but hopefully:

McCarthy, AMN, Elyonoussi, ABK, Salisu, Adams, AArmstrong, Diallo, Tall Paul, DCC, Orsic are completely done with Saints.  Will be sorry to see JWP and KWP go but they have both been gutless this season too and Lavia is just way too good for this s**t team.

• Like 5

Maybe chaos is what we need?

It's no coincidence that we played our most 'dominant' spell of the game once Lyanco came on.  He also made a number of forward passes (some worked, some didn't), but his first thoughts appeared to be 'get it up the other end' rather than tippy tappy bullshit sideways passes.

• Like 25

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

There's having heart and there's being an absolute lunatic. You cannot build a stable team around Lyanco, it would be impossible. It would be chaos every week.

He needs to go back to Brazil.

I disagree witht the lunatic part. I think you're basing that on his first few appearances when he arrived. I think he's settled down enough to be considered valuable in The Chsmpionship. Most teams who do well in that league (get promotion or into the playoffs) do so with plenty of experience at CB. 

I'd be happy for him to stay even if its as 3rd choice. 

• Like 8

With the right management and better players in front of them, I think Lyanco, DCC and Bednarek would do well for us next season. They’re all decent players at Championship level. Baz and Perraud will probably do alright too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Maybe chaos is what we need?

It's no coincidence that we played our most 'dominant' spell of the game once Lyanco came on.  He also made a number of forward passes (some worked, some didn't), but his first thoughts appeared to be 'get it up the other end' rather than tippy tappy bullshit sideways passes.

I think he has heart, desire and passion which is what you need in a relegation scrap. I'm not sure how useful that is in a promotion push from thew championship where you mostly want steady and stable with a bit of skill and grit thrown in. 

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

I disagree witht the lunatic part. I think you're basing that on his first few appearances when he arrived. I think he's settled down enough to be considered valuable in The Chsmpionship. Most teams who do well in that league (get promotion or into the playoffs) do so with plenty of experience at CB. 

I'd be happy for him to stay even if its as 3rd choice. 

I think if you play him regular it will be chaos at whatever level we play at, there's not a magic formula that's going to make him any less rash in the Championship as he is in the PL.

Cannot criticise the commitment he shows, but I think a lot of it is played up to the camera to cover up his limitations. If we're serious about moving on from this horrific era of crap players then he we cannot be pinning hope on failures like him. Let him go back to Brazil.

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

There's having heart and there's being an absolute lunatic. You cannot build a stable team around Lyanco, it would be impossible. It would be chaos every week.

He needs to go back to Brazil.

Crazy that just because he had an ok game yesterday people now think he is good enough. He'll drop another clanger in a week or two and people will be after his head again.

Maybe I've been watching a different team for the last few seasons, but given our regular 4/5 goal losses I think I've had enough of chaos in that time. There's plenty of CBs out there who can pass the ball forward and also have the ability to defend 

Edited by Nemi

Weird isn't it - we have the match thread from last night evolving into how crap and fickle we home fans are. Then we have this thread about a player who might be lacking in finesse and should, in some folks minds, be locked away on a matchday for all our sakes. Yet the one thing that can't be denied is when Lyanco hits the pitch his sheer enthusiasm and passion causes a buzz in the crowd.  

In the cold light of day, maybe too many people are playing FIFA whatever on a gaming platform, where there is no programming for the players to have a personality, and random variables -Characters - like Lyanco don't exist in the "meta verse", for want of a better term. You could say looking across our team for the season the whole team is like a computer graphic devoid of characters - but then Lyanco hits the pitch an its like a film where someone from the real world is plunged into the PlayStation box and the world gets scary.

I like him - maybe that because I grew up watching characters out on the pitch, there is an air of danger about him, but that is only because he sticks out from 10 (or 21) other increasingly anodyne players.   

Putting my head in the Lions mouth - he has got better as a player from when he first started playing for us. 

• Like 16

At some point we will need to decide if we want our centre backs to be dominant ball winners that maybe can't trap a bag of cement, or cultured footballing defenders that perhaps don't do the basics quite well enough. From memory, the ability of CBs in the championship is really bad. Very few have both pace AND power never mind control of the football. How Lyanco (and the rest) fits in, I am not sure. He can play, but he makes some poor decisions and I am no sure he dominates. I am still hopeful he follows the Fonte path, where he settled down (diving in less) and become a `horrible' guy to play against.

• Like 2

He can have all the heart he likes, it’s his ability that is a liability for us.

Everyone fell for this chest pumping shit a year ago and even then I didn’t get it. Ultimately he isn’t good enough, it’s as simple as that.

I imagine he’ll leave on loan due to his high wages. Squad player he’s decent, but that is as far as I’d go.

14 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He can have all the heart he likes, it’s his ability that is a liability for us.

Everyone fell for this chest pumping shit a year ago and even then I didn’t get it. Ultimately he isn’t good enough, it’s as simple as that.

I imagine he’ll leave on loan due to his high wages. Squad player he’s decent, but that is as far as I’d go.

No we didn’t. Everyone has been well aware, even from the reports before he signed from Torino fans, that he is a limited footballer. He was £6m when decent CBs cost £20m plus, he is the in vogue Florin Gardos or Kevin Danso. His attitude can be a liability when he goes OTT and it can be an asset in being up for a contest and having a bit of character. We will need a bit of this in the Championship. This great clear out people keep talking about… I don’t know who people are expecting to be bringing in but it won’t be the next Virgil. Lyanco is about as good a third choice, Championship CB as you can realistically hope for.

Also, I don’t see why his wages would be particularly high. He was signed as cover from a mid-table Serie A team.

He managed to stand out as particularly bad in a dreadful Torino side. The bottom third of Serie A isn't much better than the top 10 or so of the Championship in my opinion. I am not convinced he will cut it that division if we want promotion straight away. He has turned out exactly how it said on the tin when we signed him - not good enough and more wasted money. I'd maybe keep him as back up for Championship, but even then not sure about it.

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No we didn’t. Everyone has been well aware, even from the reports before he signed from Torino fans, that he is a limited footballer. He was £6m when decent CBs cost £20m plus, he is the in vogue Florin Gardos or Kevin Danso. His attitude can be a liability when he goes OTT and it can be an asset in being up for a contest and having a bit of character. We will need a bit of this in the Championship. This great clear out people keep talking about… I don’t know who people are expecting to be bringing in but it won’t be the next Virgil. Lyanco is about as good a third choice, Championship CB as you can realistically hope for.

Also, I don’t see why his wages would be particularly high. He was signed as cover from a mid-table Serie A team.

What about Stephens? How does he fit into the equation? I highly doubt Bournemouth will sign him when his loan expires. Can't honestly see another Premier League side taking a punt on him. Think I'd rather have him going into a Championship season than Lyanco. However, after being deemed surplus to requirements in a shit season, would he even want to play for us again?

Haters are going to hate, it use to be Stephens and Redmond now it's Lyanco. 

He has the right attitude, passes forward, is as good an intercepter as Yoshida, and for a CB has a decent turn of pace.

Yes he is rash at times and on occasion gets caught out of position, but frankly all of our CHs have issues

None of our CH are top notch, but neither do I think they are our biggest problem. A weak midfield, fullback issues, poor goalkeeping, and an attack that fails to sustain pressure are the main problem.

I enjoy watching Lyanco, need more of him not less.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Haters are going to hate, it use to be Stephens and Redmond now it's Lyanco. 

He has the right attitude, passes forward, is as good an intercepter as Yoshida, and for a CB has a decent turn of pace.

Yes he is rash at times and on occasion gets caught out of position, but frankly all of our CHs have issues

None of our CH are top notch, but neither do I think they are our biggest problem. A weak midfield, fullback issues, poor goalkeeping, and an attack that fails to sustain pressure are the main problem.

I enjoy watching Lyanco, need more of him not less.

Yoshida was shite as well, so a pretty fair comparison. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The key for the Championship is to have a quality manager, be organised and play with a bit of identity. I think people are massively underestimating how good some of our players are. They are collectively seemingly weak mentally and obviously need some shaking up but a lot of them are technically miles better than the likes of Billy Sharp, Dean Hammond, Danny Fox, Guly etc.

The most important thing this summer is to get the right manager in and let him decide who he wants to keep, and obviously plugging the gaps that open up with departures.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, benjii said:

The key for the Championship is to have a quality manager, be organised and play with a bit of identity. I think people are massively underestimating how good some of our players are. They are collectively seemingly weak mentally and obviously need some shaking up but a lot of them are technically miles better than the likes of Billy Sharp, Dean Hammond, Danny Fox, Guly etc.

The most important thing this summer is to get the right manager in and let him decide who he wants to keep, and obviously plugging the gaps that open up with departures.

Hang on, that was last summer's most important thing wasn't it?

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Hang on, that was last summer's most important thing wasn't it?

Yes, and it’s true now too. A proper manager is essential. Along with strikers who can score. Now we’re in the Championship the likes of Adams, Charly, Mara, and yes even tall Paul and AArmstrong, could be a decent strike force. 

29 minutes ago, benjii said:

I like lyanco and his character  and the times I have seen him play has been better than many make out on here, but also recognise his limitations.  I also think we do have some making of good players, but who have limitations, that’s why they were signed by saints, with a good manager we should be improving them and then we can all start  moaning again when they get snapped up by bigger clubs

• Like 1

Sometimes on this forum we just spout the narrative of the player rather than try and judge him on how he actually performs, no player is all bad.

On Lyanco I actually like him and think he can be good in the championship -  I think people believe we are more attractive to players than we actually are now we are relegated.

I like his passion (he actually cares), actually loves defending but like every single CB we have he can do a regular brainfart.

However one thing people seem to not mention to often in their critique is he is probably our most forward thinking central defender who also can do a job on right back.

I can remember quite a few aggressive forward passes that have lead to goals by cutting out the midfield ping pong team and 1 sublime assist (|cant remember who against) when he played right back (maybe city to mara ?).

Overall i would like him in the champs, maybe or maybe not a starter but would be a good man to call upon and seems like a good squad player at that level.

Would surprise me if he is off in the summer though, like a lot of players it depends on the manager who comes in and if he likes him or not.

• Like 4

To be fair I loved Yoshida, he got a lot of criticism that wasn’t always justified.

Based on this season overall you’d have to argue that Lyanco is worth keeping over ABK - he’s made of glass and aside from a couple of bright games at the beginning hasn’t lit the world up.

In regards to Lyanco’s wages I think he’s around the £50K p/w mark.

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

To be fair I loved Yoshida, he got a lot of criticism that wasn’t always justified.

Based on this season overall you’d have to argue that Lyanco is worth keeping over ABK - he’s made of glass and aside from a couple of bright games at the beginning hasn’t lit the world up.

In regards to Lyanco’s wages I think he’s around the £50K p/w mark.

Absolutely loved Yoshida. Probably apart from Oriel and JWP, the only player in the last ten years to actually care passionately about the club.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Absolutely loved Yoshida. Probably apart from Oriel and JWP, the only player in the last ten years to actually care passionately about the club.

Yoshida was a good back up CB. The problems only came when he was played out of position at RB or as a first choice CB for too long

Would cash in on Lyanco personally as I dont think hes a good defender. Hes too aggressive, constantly gets caught trying to step in front and win every ball. We wont get punished as much in the Championship but it is a basic defensive flaw.

Salisu is obviously gone and I would also sell ABK. We've seen the potential but hes had a taste of the German national squad so its likely he'll be manufacturing a move away. We'll also make a decent profit on him, not bad considering his suspect injury record and not convinced hes overly committed.

If we can retain Bednarek, DCC and possibly Stephens (no guarantee Bournemouth will sign him as hes recently lost his place and they've the young Ukrainian CB they signed in January waiting in the wings) then thats a good base to build from. Bring in another CB to help us navigate the nearly 50 games we'll have and I'd be pleased with that.

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Yoshida was a good back up CB. The problems only came when he was played out of position at RB or as a first choice CB for too long

He was a victim to the fact we had much better options. He would stroll into our side every week now comfortably. (In his prime - although maybe even at his current age)

On the CB note, I hope we can convince Stephens to stay. Think he’d be class at championship level. 

Edited by Osvaldorama
  • Like 1

Maybe his mistakes are more noticeable because he is himself? ABK was fucking dire for the first goal and was practically jogging back, something I’ve noticed he does a lot if his man beats him and he’s been our no.1 starter for CB.

yeah I fell for the chest pumping but I like him, he’s had some bright spots this year getting some noise out of the crowd (along with perraud) when there’s been fuck all to be happy about. 

• Like 2

Just now, Brissysaint said:

Maybe his mistakes are more noticeable because he is himself? ABK was fucking dire for the first goal and was practically jogging back, something I’ve noticed he does a lot if his man beats him and he’s been our no.1 starter for CB.

yeah I fell for the chest pumping but I like him, he’s had some bright spots this year getting some noise out of the crowd (along with perraud) when there’s been fuck all to be happy about. 

I’ll add to that is also why I liked stephens, winding people up and getting aggressive we haven’t had players like that in years

• Like 4

Definitely good enough for Championship, IMO. He is mental and has a clanger in him, but everything does happen a step slower in Championship. Think he'd almost shine there, to be honest. Comparison to Jos is fair. He was a very mediocre player even at that level and he got us by. I'd rate Lyanco a bit above Jos too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

He was a very mediocre player even at that level and he got us by

We must be remembering a different Jos Hooiveld, he was excellent in our promotion season. It’s also quite embarrassing that the goals scored by a CB only on Tuesday nights would have won our golden boot this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Definitely good enough for Championship, IMO. He is mental and has a clanger in him, but everything does happen a step slower in Championship. Think he'd almost shine there, to be honest. Comparison to Jos is fair. He was a very mediocre player even at that level and he got us by. I'd rate Lyanco a bit above Jos too.

Lyanco us a different type to Jos, who was a monster in the air, but slower and not as good on the ball. 

Agree that he could look good in the championship and he won't be punished as much for errors, but I'm concerned that Lyanco just does not win enough headers and dominate the six yard box on set pieces etc. 

For all his faults he’ll find another club in Europe that’ll have him as a squad player, I doubt very much we’ll see him in a Saints shirt after May. He actually does better coming off the bench and for a defender that is a decent asset in the modern game. Being able to come on, slot into a back 3 or 4, or even at full back will be in demand. As will his never say die attitude and his lunatic approach to the game once he’s on…

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, Deanovski said:

We should keep him next season. 

Agree, he's a tremendous asset to have around the club. Love to be a fly on the wall at team training sessions. Bet he doesn't tolerate slackers easily, still wonder what was going on between him and Tella last season, maybe a few home truths made Tella a better player ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

I’ll add to that is also why I liked stephens, winding people up and getting aggressive we haven’t had players like that in years

Part of the reason I liked him was that. Had a bit about him.

granted, he’s not prime Rio but his commitment could never be doubted.

• Like 3

Considering the kinds of players we'll be losing, we should definitely look to be keeping Lyanco and Stephens next year. 

Not the best footballers by any means, but ones we'll definitely need in a tougher league with the majority of our players still framing a young core. Be mad to let them go considering Salisu & ABK are definitely gone and DCC is pretty likely I'd say.

DCC/Stephens/Lyanco/Simeu wouldn't be the worst group of CB's, although I think it's pretty likely we'll add another in place of Caleta-Car. Not sure if it's optimistic for Simeu to make up the 4th slot, but seems like he had a POTS year in League 2 and has just had half a season in League 1 so probably not out the realms of possibility.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 15:31, Lee On Solent Saint said:

What about Stephens? How does he fit into the equation? I highly doubt Bournemouth will sign him when his loan expires. Can't honestly see another Premier League side taking a punt on him. Think I'd rather have him going into a Championship season than Lyanco. However, after being deemed surplus to requirements in a shit season, would he even want to play for us again?

I'd also much prefer Jack. Lyanco is captain calamity. Gets caught out of position, can't hold the line defending free-kicks, not the best headerer, rash.....but you can't help but like him. There's certainly a lot of others I'd like to see the back of first.

Plus, Bednerek will probably want out, there's something about DCC that's wrong but can't put my finger on it and with ABK & Salisu scratching the exit door to get out, we should keep him. 

13 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I doubt very much we’ll see him in a Saints shirt after May. 

what makes you say that? Do you think he will get a better offer? Even if his wages are reduced with relegation, he still might be earning more than he will get elsewhere.

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

there's something about DCC that's wrong but can't put my finger on it 

he doesn't seem to give a fuck. Certainly if the defending at West Ham is anything to go by. Maybe that is harsh.

On 09/05/2023 at 13:04, John Boy Saint said:

Weird isn't it - we have the match thread from last night evolving into how crap and fickle we home fans are. Then we have this thread about a player who might be lacking in finesse and should, in some folks minds, be locked away on a matchday for all our sakes. Yet the one thing that can't be denied is when Lyanco hits the pitch his sheer enthusiasm and passion causes a buzz in the crowd.  

In the cold light of day, maybe too many people are playing FIFA whatever on a gaming platform, where there is no programming for the players to have a personality, and random variables -Characters - like Lyanco don't exist in the "meta verse", for want of a better term. You could say looking across our team for the season the whole team is like a computer graphic devoid of characters - but then Lyanco hits the pitch an its like a film where someone from the real world is plunged into the PlayStation box and the world gets scary.

I like him - maybe that because I grew up watching characters out on the pitch, there is an air of danger about him, but that is only because he sticks out from 10 (or 21) other increasingly anodyne players.   

Putting my head in the Lions mouth - he has got better as a player from when he first started playing for us. 

He’s definitely got the guile for the championship.. could motivate a few of the saints b lads wen the step up to the 1st team.. I’d keep him as 3rd choice cb can play other positions too so could a job for us down there. 
showed more heart and fight bar lavia than other this season.