Russell Martin

LegalEagle

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

Fine providing Leicester or Leeds don't make a move to take him, if he is our main choice.

It will be even better if one of them does take him as that will be one less promotion rival we'd have to worry about. When even MK Dons fans were glad to see the back of him, you know we can get better than him.

These are just some of the managers who've been more successful in the Championship and League One than Russell Martin. There are many more as well as dozens of good European managers who'd be happy to come here:

Carlos Corberán

Darren Moore

Tony Mowbray

Scott Parker

Mark Robins

Michael Carrick

Paul Warne

Steven Schumacher

Kieran McKenna

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

21 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

It will be even better if one of them does take him as that will be one less promotion rival we'd have to worry about. When even MK Dons fans were glad to see the back of him, you know we can get better than him.

These are just some of the managers who've been more successful in the Championship and League One than Russell Martin. There are many more as well as dozens of good European managers who'd be happy to come here:

Carlos Corberán

Darren Moore

Tony Mowbray

Scott Parker

Mark Robins

Michael Carrick

Paul Warne

Steven Schumacher

Kieran McKenna

Blimey, you must have some contacts to know they would be happy to come here.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Gotta respect our shithousery, makes a change

What will be the result when we go hand in cup back to Swansea trying to sign Grimes and Piroe? If I was them, I'd tell us to get stuffed and only sell them to a Leicester or Leeds. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

What will be the result when we go hand in cup back to Swansea trying to sign Grimes and Piroe? If I was them, I'd tell us to get stuffed and only sell them to a Leicester or Leeds. 

Can't force the players to accept Leeds or Leicester.

And Piroe only has a year left, they won't want him to leave for nothing.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Because that always works. We all know the player ultimately decides where they want to play.

32 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Because that always works. We all know the player ultimately decides where they want to play.

They can't play at a club who's not had an offer accepted though, can they. Naive to think someone would demand to only play for the might Saints.

Edited by Dman

2 hours ago, Dman said:

They can't play at a club who's not had an offer accepted though, can they. Naive to think someone would demand to only play for the might Saints.

Of course not but if they tell the club who owns them that they will only be signing for saints then the pressure is on them to be realistic. Clearly you haven't been watching when saints have been raided by a bigger club. its only an issue if multiple clubs are in for them and they  worried about which club they play for. Naïve to think that Saints couldnt be first choice of clubs interested in their players particularly if they are only Champ clubs. 

I must express some surprise that the club have made no announcements on Selles leaving or Martin being appointed. Asceptic might see this heading pin only one direction. 

Actually I would be quite happy to give Selles another season especially at this lower level to allow him to develop as a manager and in my view there is every chance he  might succeed and get us back to the PL at the first attempt. This is no more optimistic than expecting Swansea's manager to be Pep Light.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I must express some surprise that the club have made no announcements on Selles leaving or Martin being appointed. Asceptic might see this heading pin only one direction. 

Actually I would be quite happy to give Selles another season especially at this lower level to allow him to develop as a manager and in my view there is every chance he  might succeed and get us back to the PL at the first attempt. This is no more optimistic than expecting Swansea's manager to be Pep Light.

Saints announced before Liverpool game that Selles was leaving. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You haven't been paying attention!   https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/news/article/club-statement-ruben-selles

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Wouldn't 'hand in cup' be a bit, um, weird?

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Tbf it could be one of those Sports Direct mugs

I was furious when we were linked with Russell Martin now i'm even more furious he hasn't been announced yet. Not joining yet because his son is taking his sats hardly shows his commitment does it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I was furious when we were linked with Russell Martin now i'm even more furious he hasn't been announced yet. Not joining yet because his son is taking his sats hardly shows his commitment does it. 

He's clearly having second thoughts and this 'contract' is just a smokescreen. No way would Swansea be arseholes like this, especially when a championship powerhouse like us come knocking. 

Stinks of Leicester tapping him up imo. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

He's clearly having second thoughts and this 'contract' is just a smokescreen. No way would Swansea be arseholes like this, especially when a championship powerhouse like us come knocking. 

Stinks of Leicester tapping him up imo. 

I wouldn’t worry about Leicester tapping him up. I have it on good authority that they are very much trying to bag Potter - far more loftier ambitions than us.

6 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

I wouldn’t worry about Leicester tapping him up. I have it on good authority that they are very much trying to bag Potter - far more loftier ambitions than us.

We tried to bag Potter… I would imagine the answer will be the same

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

Potter to Celtic make some sense? Keeps his stock relatively up and in a good position for a middle to upper PL job (Rodgers to Leicester, Ange to Spurs) in time?

yeah, reasonable shout tbh. 

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

£1.25 of a difference in the figures between Prem and Championship. So a decent amount. In their heads SR can wait and offset it against the millions they paid for Jones.

I'll raid the kid's piggy banks and give them the £1.25 if that's all they need. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Just seen that EPL AGM is set for 14th June and that’s when we get officially relegated and join Championship. Russell appointment will happen after that reportedly, so quite a way to go yet, unless they manage to reach an interim agreement.

End of this week, apparently! 

15 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

If they wanted to get it done without issue they should just say we pay the championship fee now with a performance clause of another 500k if we get promoted.

You clearly don’t work for the Club with common sense ideas like that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

You clearly don’t work for the Club with common sense ideas like that!

They couldn't afford my monthly expenses bill and trips for "scouting", fortunately saintsweb pays me handsomely to post here.

Edited by Convict Colony

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Wow. 
In some ways Selles was as dysfunctional as Jones. True he was far more media savvy but his tactics and selection policies were dreadful. Can’t believe you would keep him but I do understand where you are coming from re Martin. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

I'll raid the kid's piggy banks and give them the £1.25 if that's all they need. 

Your kids have that much?! Pocket money gone mad, when kids can hire their own football managers. Why, when I were a lad, you'd have to work double shifts for months down pit, and still not have enough to hire a physio! 🙂

16 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

If they wanted to get it done without issue they should just say we pay the championship fee now with a performance clause of another 500k if we get promoted.

BarrySwan

Russell Martin : The sticking points and the truth behind them on 13:18 - Jun 4

Whilst I'm fully supportive of the Swans giving Southampton compensation to take Martin off our hands I'm also supportive of the board playing hardball in regards to how much we should give them.

• Haha 10

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Your kids have that much?! Pocket money gone mad, when kids can hire their own football managers. Why, when I were a lad, you'd have to work double shifts for months down pit, and still not have enough to hire a physio! 🙂

Physio? You were lucky! Our Dad used to let us suck ants juice for half-time refreshment, hit us round head as a motivator and use motor oil to grease us up before using tractor tyres to roll out the knots in our puny muscles! And the kids nowadays think they’ve got it tough!

Oh yeah, the Pythons live on!!! 🤣

• Haha 2

Can't see how this will make a difference outside a courtroom or tribunal of sorts. Not like Swans will be going: "Oh, now we see that Southampton is listed as a Championship club, OK then, lets all agree on the Championship value of the clause". They will still hold out for what they believe is right, and I don't blame them.

32 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

Can't see how this will make a difference outside a courtroom or tribunal of sorts. Not like Swans will be going: "Oh, now we see that Southampton is listed as a Championship club, OK then, lets all agree on the Championship value of the clause". They will still hold out for what they believe is right, and I don't blame them.

Probably right although it's hampering them as much as us.  They'll be wanting to appoint a manager soon themselves so I expect we'll come to a predictable agreement without too much fuss.