Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Russ was doing his best to be zen in the press conference, but clear Adam B gets on his tits. If we lose today the post match interview could be particularly tense. I expect us to win and the scar tissue to calm down once more. 

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

Do you class yourself as a melt or do you think you are something special

Depends what I’m comparing against. I’ve not created multiple logins because I’m so desperate to post on a football forum, so think I’m doing ok.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

Russ was doing his best to be zen in the press conference, but clear Adam B gets on his tits. If we lose today the post match interview could be particularly tense. I expect us to win and the scar tissue to calm down once more. 

Blackmore hasn't held back on asking awkward questions that's why Martin doesn't like him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

I get the opposite impression - I feel like he likes talking/debating with Adam.

• Like 1

About a month a go he made reference to Jack Stephens being needed in the run in. Since shoehorning him into the team at the expense of possibly the best defensive partnership in the league we continue to ship goals. 

1 hour ago, Tauro said:

About a month a go he made reference to Jack Stephens being needed in the run in. Since shoehorning him into the team at the expense of possibly the best defensive partnership in the league we continue to ship goals. 

Yep, absolutely crazy management. I get why he wants Stephen’s in there (to drive forward and step into midfield), but the trouble is we aren’t good enough to do that and we’ve lost our best CB and leader in THB. 

Unless we go back to basics, we’ll lose more than we’ll win conceding 3 a game. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Smallbone was excellent, but then, he was playing in his proper position.

With Downes alongside him. That is probably the key. 

• Like 6

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

I really like Martin, quite surprised there's a decent portion of people who haven't warmed to him/are incredibly quick to switch up at every opportunity 

I like him too, perhaps not as much as I liked Ralph, but he seems honest. Was he the right choice for us this season? Well I think he has had a few hurdles to climb, players leaving, building a team, changing the style - all whilst under pressure to get us promoted back at the first attempt. You could argue that someone like Daniel Farke is a proven Championship promotion manager (who has gotten lucky with a squad rich with attacking options) but Maresca was a risk for Leicester too (albeit with probably the best squad in the league) and McKenna isn't proven at this level either.

The two patches of bad form this season don't fill me with confidence, but I do think if we don't go up that we should stick by him for next season. The issue will be bringing in the players that can perform as well as the ones we will be likely to lose this summer - which will be a big ask.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, derry said:

That back four was a clusterfuck selection. Splitting the two regular centre backs was stupidity. As KWP wasn't available Bree should have replaced him with Stephens on the left. Smallbone flatters to deceive. He lacks the physical determination to even tackle. Opponents waltz past him. He spends a lot of time just unloading the ball. We need to tighten up in the middle. Downes maybe came back because he had to and was obviously not at his best. Hopefully by Wednesday he'll be feeling better. Aribo or Charles are a better bet. Admttedly when we are on top Smallbone looks better, more like a flat track bully.

Martin has made some real selection cock ups in the last five matches and we have dropped points as a result. Stop picking the favourites and pick the best team available. there is a little over eight weeks and twelve matches left but more likely could be fifteen.

This, in spades. Spot on.

Russell Martin is really starting to piss me off. He keeps saying that he takes the blame for appalling defensive performances, but keeps making the same bloody awful mistakes, especially with starting line ups. All those comments by @derry are spot on, and it wasn't just today that he makes those bleeding obvious mistakes, both for the back four and the midfield. And don't get me started on the pissing around at the back, inviting the opposition to press at every opportunity. What's the point of 75% possession if half of that is on your own f**king half! Yes, you can play it out from the back plenty of time, but if the other team sends a number of players out to press, launch it over their f**king heads, rather than go around in circles and gift it to them half the time. Mix it f**king up so the other team can't always commit so many players forward to press.

We're fourth despite Martin, not because of him. We have a far superior squad than most, but are under achieving because of basic managerial mistakes. Look no further than Ipswich to see what a good manager can achieve.

RM needs to get his head out of his arse and do the BLEEDING OBVIOUS that everyone and their f**king dog can see.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Russell Martin is really starting to piss me off. He keeps saying that he takes the blame for appalling defensive performances, but keeps making the same bloody awful mistakes, especially with starting line ups. All those comments by @derry are spot on, and it wasn't just today that he makes those bleeding obvious mistakes, both for the back four and the midfield. And don't get me started on the pissing around at the back, inviting the opposition to press at every opportunity. What's the point of 75% possession if half of that is on your own f**king half! Yes, you can play it out from the back plenty of time, but if the other team sends a number of players out to press, launch it over their f**king heads, rather than go around in circles and gift it to them half the time. Mix it f**king up so the other team can't always commit so many players forward to press.

We're fourth despite Martin, not because of him. We have a far superior squad than most, but are under achieving because of basic managerial mistakes. Look no further than Ipswich to see what a good manager can achieve.

RM needs to get his head out of his arse and do the BLEEDING OBVIOUS that everyone and their f**king dog can see.

Fucking harsh, I reckon.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Yeah that's ridiculously harsh. 

The way we play is very much risk/reward, it's how we play and it won't change. No point debating it after game, we will always and forever play it around at the back whilst he is our manager.

The benefits I thought were shown in spades in today's game. You invite the press, move it quickly and all of a sudden you create overloads and an opportunity to break quickly. Which we did countless times today.

Yes there are times where you give it away and it's risky, but that's what it's about - being brave, taking a risk and if it comes off we're pretty much through and a goal is in the offing.

I think the posters who are saying we're 4th in spite of the manager are absolute lunatics.  Give your head a wobble.

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Give it up pal, it's enjoyable football, you're not convincing anyone, but one day you will be able to say "I told you so" I suppose, which is the real enjoyment.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Fans chanting Will Smallbones name in a nice moment at the end only for Russell Martin to steal the moment by doing his fist pumps in the middle of it 🤣🤦‍♂️ w

That's because the crowd started doing the "ohhhh" thing expecting him to do it.

You conveniently ignored the fact he was pushing Will in front of us to take applause and do the fist pumps as well and then hugging him while we sang his name again?

• Like 1

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

Give it up pal, it's enjoyable football, you're not convincing anyone, but one day you will be able to say "I told you so" I suppose, which is the real enjoyment.

Keep up. Winning on the internet is so much more satisfying than your team winning on the pitch.

Saints may have got 3 points today but somewhere a poster is sat on the sofa basking in the glory of the 4 likes they got for slagging off the manager.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, CSA96 said:

To spare a trip to the awful Echo website - comments in full here.

Russell Martin gave a four-minute response to the Will Smallbone abuse earlier today:

I feel really sorry for Will that it's got to that point and I don't like social media for that reason.

It has become a cesspit of negativity and toxicity and a place where people feel they can say something they would never say to their face. About someone they don't know as well. Everybody is so quick to pass judgement and express an opinion.

I am not on it but I have been made aware of it and some of the stuff I have seen, I just don't understand what human being says those things.

It is to someone who, if you are a supporter, tries to give everything every day to your football club - a football club he loves. He has been desperate to play for this football club and he has been here since he was a kid.

You then have to understand some of the things Will has been through on his journey and the pain he has been through. Whatever you think of him, he plays a lot because he is brilliant and he is a fantastic young man who is growing a lot.

It has been a privilege to work with him and to understand his story and what he has been through to get to this point.

Judge people as footballers but some of the stuff written has been disgusting. I'd love to sit down with that person and understand why. What is going on in their life that they feel they have to write something like that? I am really protective of my players.

Will is one of the best people I have ever worked with so it makes me angry and sad that it has come to this.

Will has dealt with it in a way he feels is fit and if I had my choice, none of them would be on social media - I don't see the advantage. There are a lot of, for want of a better word, idiots and unhappy people that want to project their unhappiness on other people.

When I first started, it was the start of message board and online forums. The lads told me about it. The first three things I read about myself, one said I was functional but drone-like in midfield and they were probably right.

I thought, 'I'm not reading that again'. Then you start questioning everything if you don't have a strong sense of self. I believe Will does have a strong sense of self with what he has been through so I don't worry about Will.

I really hope that I get to celebrate on the pitch with Will having achieved something special and this means absolutely nothing. It would be a slap in the face for someone who wrote it. Of course, criticise players as footballers - but don't overstep the line. There are more important things in life, although it doesn't feel like it at times, but there really are.

I love Will and we will support him however he needs but I have no worries and if he is on the pitch tomorrow, he will be great.

I have also asked him to perform a different role recently and I think he has been great but that's my fault if you don't agree. Don't judge him on that if you don't think he has performed well there. But he is so tactically flexible and will continue to be.

I am upset if it comes to that but I guess that is the modern day and age. I don't like my children on it and I fear for the next generation.

There is no accountability at all and it makes me feel sick.

Credit where due, Martin is spot on in his response here and defending the player publicly.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The way we play is very much risk/reward, it's how we play and it won't change. No point debating it after game, we will always and forever play it around at the back whilst he is our manager.

The benefits I thought were shown in spades in today's game. You invite the press, move it quickly and all of a sudden you create overloads and an opportunity to break quickly. Which we did countless times today.

Yes there are times where you give it away and it's risky, but that's what it's about - being brave, taking a risk and if it comes off we're pretty much through and a goal is in the offing.

I think the posters who are saying we're 4th in spite of the manager are absolute lunatics.  Give your head a wobble.

Invite the press, move it quickly - yes. All for it. How many times recently have we invited the press and not moved it quickly, got boxed in and given it away in our final third? Fucking loads. I think everyone can appreciate what we’re trying to do but it’s ridiculous to say that we shouldn’t at times go long when we’ve passed ourselves into a box that that we’re not going to get out of. It’s not like we haven’t got a decent press ourselves to get after the second ball. 

Also - as others have said, breaking our best CB partnership for no other reason than to give Stephens some minutes has thrown up some really dodgy performances at the back. It just seems unnecessary. 

Surely RM can’t be immune to criticism after us conceding 11 goals in the 4 games against Huddersfield, Bristol City, Millwall and Birmingham recently? There’s no way that it can’t be seen as cause for concern and some fundamental issues 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

And that's exactly the problem, it's too rigid and predictable. There's nothing wrong with playing it around the back SOME of the time, but not ALL the time.

And I notice you didn't address the main criticism, his insane starting line ups.

And you may be happy with 4th, but with our squad we should be up there with Leicester and Leeds.

I should add that I'm not saying RM is the anti Christ. He obviously has a number of good attributes, he's a good man manager, seems a decent person, and some of our attacking play can be superb. If he could just stop with the lunatic line ups and favouritism with certain players <cough> Manning <cough>  we could still make second.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jack said:

Invite the press, move it quickly - yes. All for it. How many times recently have we invited the press and not moved it quickly, got boxed in and given it away in our final third? Fucking loads. I think everyone can appreciate what we’re trying to do but it’s ridiculous to say that we shouldn’t at times go long when we’ve passed ourselves into a box that that we’re not going to get out of. It’s not like we haven’t got a decent press ourselves to get after the second ball. 

Also - as others have said, breaking our best CB partnership for no other reason than to give Stephens some minutes has thrown up some really dodgy performances at the back. It just seems unnecessary. 

Surely RM can’t be immune to criticism after us conceding 11 goals in the 4 games against Huddersfield, Bristol City, Millwall and Birmingham recently? There’s no way that it can’t be seen as cause for concern and some fundamental issues 

We played the ball into Adams feet a lot more today and it worked. You can't do that though if you play AA or Mara up top as they are too weak.

What can I say I really like Martin. Defensively we might be suspect at times but the fluid passing is glorious to watch. We are clearly weak at LB and miss Downes when he is not playing. If we don’t go up this season I bet Martin takes us up next year. This season in the Championship is mental. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

What can I say I really like Martin. Defensively we might be suspect at times but the fluid passing is glorious to watch. We are clearly weak at LB and miss Downes when he is not playing. If we don’t go up this season I bet Martin takes us up next year. This season in the Championship is mental. 

I'm not sure why you think that. We'll have a much weaker squad next year if we don't go up. I won't list the better players we will lose, it's been mentioned many times already.

• Like 2

That’s 5 wins and a draw from my 6 away games and we deserved this win.

When we up the tempo and go at them teams can’t live with us but as soon as we slow it down we let them back in.

Not the best defensive display but enough comments above to dissect why.

Having Flyn back was great today he reads it so well and so calm getting us going. 
would rest Stu on Wednesday looked tired at end.

My biggest complaint was us trying to walk it in the net that extra pass and not hitting it. Too many side foots today “put your laces through it”

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I'm not sure why you think that. We'll have a much weaker squad next year if we don't go up. I won't list the better players we will lose, it's been mentioned many times already.

On the plus we will have Dibling SAA and Meghoma plus Bragg . We will lose KWP, Bednarek and THB but we will play loan market again plus The LN Drogba firing

1 hour ago, Jack said:

The answer to this is nowhere near as much as you've convinced yourself it is.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

That’s 5 wins and a draw from my 6 away games and we deserved this win.

When we up the tempo and go at them teams can’t live with us but as soon as we slow it down we let them back in.

Not the best defensive display but enough comments above to dissect why.

Having Flyn back was great today he reads it so well and so calm getting us going. 
would rest Stu on Wednesday looked tired at end.

My biggest complaint was us trying to walk it in the net that extra pass and not hitting it. Too many side foots today “put your laces through it”

“Shoot hard and low on sight of goal”

From a book on football that I had over 70 years ago. The advice is still valid.

Just a quick precis:

- We were by far the worst team in the PL last season, both talent wise and performance wise. 

- We sold far more of our "good" players than both Leicester and Leeds, and brought in a mixture of Championship level loans and free transfers. 

- We had been poor for so many years that losing had become a habit. 

And yet, we are 4th in the table, 8 points off top.

Personally, I think it's utterly ridiculous the abuse and criticism that RM and the team endure. Just my two pence worth, but I think we're doing alright.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

From a book on football that I had over 70 years ago. The advice is still valid.

Basically what we did for the 4 (FOUR) goals we scored away from home yesterday then.

18 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just a quick precis:

- We were by far the worst team in the PL last season, both talent wise and performance wise. 

- We sold far more of our "good" players than both Leicester and Leeds, and brought in a mixture of Championship level loans and free transfers. 

Personally, I think it's utterly ridiculous the abuse and criticism that RM and the team endure. Just my two pence worth, but I think we're doing alright.

Cool story.

Meanwhile we spent the most on a single player in the Championship last summer.

You're pretending Flynn Downes and Taylor Harwood-Bellis are cast offs we scrimped together rather than high performing brilliant promotion level Championship talent?

We've got £25m players coming off the bench yesterday. 

Russell Martin was employed to get us promoted. This season.

Stop pretending it is some unbelievable miracle that we are fourth. We are at the bare minimum for the investment made and the support given.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 11

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Maybe you could lend that book to Adam Armstrong. Despite his goals, some of his finishing has been powder puff this season. 

29 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just a quick precis:

I think all 3 relegated teams have been left in similar positions with their squads - all 3 have utterly ridiculous levels of talent for this level. I don't think any of us are doing anything magical, just doing what should be expected.

Leeds were gutted quite a bit. Of their first team PL squad from last year they lost Koch, Rodrigo, Adams, Aaronson, Harrison, Sinistera, Kristensen, Roca, Wober - quite a bit to be fair, all of those went on either nominal fees or loans.

Leicester lost Maddison, Barnes, Castange, Kristiansen, Tielemans, Soyunchu, Armartey, Perez, Evans, Mendy, Soumare - all first team PL players last year.

We lost Lavia, Livramento, JWP, Salisu, Moussa, ABK, DCC, Diallo, Perraud, Ely - who were part of our PL squad last year. I'd say we didn't lose half as many critical players as the other two, the first 3 were our key ones. We managed to retain KWP, Bednarek, Adams, Stu Armstrong, Aribo - and then added THB, Downes, Fraser, Brooks down the spine of the team whilst re-integrating the likes of Adam Armstrong and Will Smallbone into this level. Our loans were PL level loans, not Championship level loans.

My feeling is that all 3 of us have ridiculous squads for this level, both financially and the level of quality available. All 3 are pretty much performing as they should be in terms of the points tallies, Ipswich are the big anomaly stuck there in the middle. Just for comparision, we are currently 1 point better off from our last promotion effort from this league - but with a -10 worst GD (That September onslaught still lingers)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Not in spite of Marin, but any decent manager worth their salt would have us at least 4th

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just a quick precis:

Interesting choice of adjective at the end there. I don't think you'd get many on here arguing against the view that we're doing "alright". Had you chosen to use "excellent" or "superb" instead, I suspect you may have attracted more disagreement...

Screenshot_20240303-102521.png

Edited by trousers

I see a lot of posts on social media about Smallbone, Martin nearly crying talking about the "special moment" Will had with the fans at the end of the game after "the week he's had"...isn't this being blown out of proportion now? He wasn't getting THAT much abuse was he? 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I see a lot of posts on social media about Smallbone, Martin nearly crying talking about the "special moment" Will had with the fans at the end of the game after "the week he's had"...isn't this being blown out of proportion now? He wasn't getting THAT much abuse was he? 

Yes massive difference from getting abuse about game than having cancer wished upon you in public on your social media

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

Yes

Where? When? Online abuse is so easy to ignore I don't know why anybody gets affected by it. Twitter is a cesspool that everybody should boycott as it's the absolute worst aspects of society that come to the fore on there.

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He got some horrific stuff sent his way in mid week, as someone mentioned the lowest point was someone wishing he had cancer.

Absolutely twitter is full of non-people, just bots and lunatics who should be locked up, but it doesn't mean shit like that doesn't effect you in some way. You'd have to be inhuman to not let it. You can also use it as a bit of a galvanizing thing to throw back in peoples faces, which he did yesterday.

Let's not forget that Martin is an extremely emotional person, so it won't take much to get to him.

On 02/03/2024 at 08:31, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Loved the old paper fanzines and original football phone-ins (Danny Baker, Lofty) but haven't listened in to them for years for all the dinlos that now call in.

I find the cretins employed to front these call-ins more off-putting than the half-wits from Kent and London who’ve followed ManU and Liverpool “all their lives” . 

Trying to make Sutton and Savage into celebrities and “personalities” is beyond me. 

Edited by Badger

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He got some horrific stuff sent his way in mid week, as someone mentioned the lowest point was someone wishing he had cancer.

Absolutely twitter is full of non-people, just bots and lunatics who should be locked up, but it doesn't mean shit like that doesn't effect you in some way. You'd have to be inhuman to not let it. You can also use it as a bit of a galvanizing thing to throw back in peoples faces, which he did yesterday.

Let's not forget that Martin is an extremely emotional person, so it won't take much to get to him.

It can't affect you if you don't see it. Social media and twitter in particular is poisonous, I'm much happier having nothing to do with it. I have a Facebook account but deleted the app and just use messenger and the only other thing I use that's remotely like a social media is YouTube. 

Honestly wish more people would give it up, the human brain isn't wired to deal with the level/type of social interaction and information those websites' algorithms force on you. 

12 hours ago, Wiggles31 said:

What can I say I really like Martin. Defensively we might be suspect at times but the fluid passing is glorious to watch. 

Going forward it can be, I agree. But not between Bazunu and the defence across our own penalty area it isn’t. Well not for me anyway. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Where? When? Online abuse is so easy to ignore I don't know why anybody gets affected by it. Twitter is a cesspool that everybody should boycott as it's the absolute worst aspects of society that come to the fore on there.

Easier said than done.

Once published it’s clearly ‘out there’ and in the public gaze. Don’t fully understand it as I’m not of the Social Media generation, but once published others repeat it, even to condemn it. Press pick up on it and it’s then news rather than just being laid to lie low on an obscure account no one would otherwise look at.

Whether the target is going into school or a training ground the next day, seems every likelihood that colleagues would be aware of it.