Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

21 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

He'll have to find it first. 🙂

He was noticeably better at passing it out under pressure and having varied, accurate distribution than his opposite number. Did his job fine for one on ones to keep the score lower too.  He kept his composure despite being repeatedly exposed by the shambles in front of him.

Their keeper was McCarthy level of bad with his feet. I didn't mind us putting pressure on him, it was just that we went too kamikaze at times which allowed them to pass through into a load of space.

The game could have been a lot closer if we'd taken a couple of our chances after winning the ball high up. Sadly they were squandered because we are not clinical enough up front.

12 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Exactly as Fareham says... 

Baz had as good a game as possible considering the shit show going on in front of him, his distribution was pretty damn good as well (not that Martin wants us playing that way).

again wrong. Plenty of people both here and on the match thread have given him credit. 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2023 at 00:01, FarehamSaintJames said:

The usual haters won’t pop up knowing he’s actually had a good game.

That said I’m sure they’re very excited to mention another day how he technically conceded four tonight. 🤣

No, but remember, in the future when they spout his poor shot stopping statistics, the fact Leicester scored from the majority of attempts must mean he is shit. This match polarises why blaming the keeper has been totally wrong. The players in front of him have consistently let him down and exposed him to mostly unstoppable shots. Even then he sometimes manages to pull off a save. But he has become the scapegoat for our slide down to the championship. Complete unfounded and actually unfair. There are many other issues need resolving in the team such as learning how to defend as a unit, all taking personal responsibility for not allowing the opposite to shoot or block it, and certainly stop a f*#king cross one in a while, Jesus.

Edited by Polegategavin243

I think I’ve noticed that he seems to be a lot weaker on his left side than his right. Maybe it’s just that where we sit is on his left when at our end, but I am convinced that he lets in more this side than the other.

Disclaimer….I am not on medication and only drink tea at St. Mary’s…….

7 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

I think I’ve noticed that he seems to be a lot weaker on his left side than his right. Maybe it’s just that where we sit is on his left when at our end, but I am convinced that he lets in more this side than the other.

He's not good at anything aside from the odd long pass.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

Without looking into it properly I think you're right.

4 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I can understand a 'keeper not saving all of these. Baz saves none of them. As soon as it was going towards that part of the goal, I thought it was in.

Baz's distribution was a plus a game or two back. We seem to be doing a lot less of that since.

He has a big issue with diving to that side of the goal. Surely the coaches should be working on that with him? Or is that something that he'll never be able to improve? 

The medical report cited a huge build up of scar tissue on the entire left hand side of Bazunu’s body. It is no wonder he can’t get down to those low shots on that side. The scars were far, far deeper on his wrists.

Give the lad a break. I understand this is all in hand and Russell Martin is personally applying Bio Oil every two hours to the affected areas, and has even commissioned new bowls for Bazunu to stick his hands in filled with Bio Oil in between physio sessions.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’d want my keeper saving Middlesbrough’s fist. Yet again he got his hand to it and couldn’t get it round the post. 

All too familiar.

But best GK in the division according to RM ( or ‘Lego head’ as I believe you’ve christened him*).

*brilliant by the way 

6 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

fans scapegoat 2022/23, 2023/24 never mind the piss awful defenders in front of him that are responsible for giving away these chances to the opposition. Baz is not this seasons problem at all, it's our awful defence.

Fair play, you’re almost as good at providing straw man arguments as that Crap Wolf guy. Not quite, granted, but you’re getting there.

When there are negative comments made about Bazun or quite frankly any other player, it doesn’t mean people think they are literally the only player at fault. It’s typically one of a number of players that contribute to our goals against. Nobody is saying it’s all Bazunu’s fault or that our defence/midfield/attack is otherwise ok.

I feel I’ve wasted my time even pointing that out Ffs.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Nobody is saying it’s all Bazunu’s fault or that our defence/midfield/attack is otherwise ok.

Tbf, more than one poster has claimed he was the difference between staying up and getting relegated last season, so it's not surprising people still think he's being viewed in those kind of terms (I've not read the thread recently so can't comment on recent posts)

11 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

fans scapegoat 2022/23, 2023/24 never mind the piss awful defenders in front of him that are responsible for giving away these chances to the opposition. Baz is not this seasons problem at all, it's our awful defence.

Aren't there loads of posts on here about the "piss awful" defenders - the fans don't like Holgate, Manning and have disliked Bednarek for eons.

What shitty point are you trying to make?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Tbf, more than one poster has claimed he was the difference between staying up and getting relegated last season, so it's not surprising people still think he's being viewed in those kind of terms (I've not read the thread recently so can't comment on recent posts)

If anyone thinks that they’re misguided. He was a big contributory factor but he was far from on his own. Same this season, he’s been disappointing yet again but just one of a too big number.

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Aren't there loads of posts on here about the "piss awful" defenders - the fans don't like Holgate, Manning and have disliked Bednarek for eons.

What shitty point are you trying to make?

I think my last sentence spelled it out very clearly " Baz is not this seasons problem at all, it's our awful defence."

9 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I think my last sentence spelled it out very clearly " Baz is not this seasons problem at all, it's our awful defence."

Who are the people blaming Bazunu but not the defenders at all -  who are you talking to here?

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Really needs to start diving later, so he doesn't get a hand to shots, as that seems to be the main criticism of him at the moment. If he starts throwing himself to the floor, slightly too late, hopefully he can get into the team of the season, like Kelvin did.

Yeah, that’s definitely about right. Makes perfect sense as usual 👍

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Statistics don’t mean anything Barry, apparently. I’ve written scientific papers on it. Or something.

Yep the statistics don't mean a thing I know... Baz was rock bottom last season as well why not continue the trend? I mean our defence is shit and Baz is worth about 20m quid after all.

At this point I'd rather have my dad after 5 pints in goal for us than Bazunu.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Really needs to start diving later, so he doesn't get a hand to shots, as that seems to be the main criticism of him at the moment. If he starts throwing himself to the floor, slightly too late, hopefully he can get into the team of the season, like Kelvin did.

Kelvin was far superior in the championship than we’ve seen from Baz so far. Fuck me if Leeds have the chances Sat that they got in the famous Kelvin game, it’ll be about 14. At the end of that season, Kelvin was rightly in the team of the season, I doubt this clown will even be in our team come the end of this season. 

Teams have shite defenders, it does absolve the keeper or mean he doesn’t have to make any saves. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Yep the statistics don't mean a thing I know... Baz was rock bottom last season as well why not continue the trend? I mean our defence is shit and Baz is worth about 20m quid after all.

At this point I'd rather have my dad after 5 pints in goal for us than Bazunu.

Is he available next Saturday?

1230 kickoff mind, so it’s an early start to get all 5 pints in. But surely doable.

• Haha 3

On 24/09/2023 at 17:30, SaintsBarry74 said:

Worst keeper in the championship in terms of save% and post xG goals.

The stats are skewed though... Normally the defence don't inexplicitly pass the ball to the attackers 20yards out without warning - so those keepers will be better set. Poor old Bazunu probably has no idea what's going to happen next whenever the defence are in possession - whether the ball is going to be up the pitch in 10 seconds or heading towards his top corner. 😂

I don't think Boro's 1st is the criminal offence some are making out. The boro player (who is left footed) checks inside to open up his foot as if shooting across goal. Baz is then partially unsighted as he goes to shoot due to bednarek coming across. just before the boro player hits it, bazunu takes a step to his right (the left side when facing the goal) and transfers his weight - which was fatal as he then can't recover. (I assume he was anticipating the shot across goal and expecting bednarek to close out the shot to the right hand side... The shot is then rifled under Bendarek's foot down to baz's left / into the low right hand side of the goal and you can see that he doesn't react until its past bendarek (and once his weight is transferred onto the wrong foot) - It was a pretty good/fast hit and he can't recover. If the boro player had put it in the far corner he would equally not have got to it without changing his positon - so he's gambled on the defence being able to cover that near post and the striker just gets it through low and hard. It happens imo. Or said another way, if he gets free sight of the shot he wouldn't react late and would know exactly where it was going to go, but similarly the player would have had a free shot on goal.

Also, its not just Bazunu who has taken the step to his right. THB is leaning exactly the same until its hit.

image.thumb.png.a6d6ff92bf26a2032ff2fa80a09c294a.png

image.thumb.png.a10aec599a33ee7363fc36275506c2e8.png

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

I can’t recall in nearly 50 years of watching saints a keeper that has so many excuses made for him. He’s either the unluckiest keeper to ever play the game, or he’s pony. 

I’m not expecting him to save all the goals he’s let in, but fuck me, he should be saving some of them. A decent keeper would have. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I can’t recall in nearly 50 years of watching saints a keeper that has so many excuses made for him. He’s either the unluckiest keeper to ever play the game, or he’s pony. 

I’m not expecting him to save all the goals he’s let in, but fuck me, he should be saving some of them. A decent keeper would have. 

Well he isn't "pony". So given the choices you've offered, i guess that makes him "the unluckiest keeper to ever play the game"...

On reflection, he does have the misfortune to have signed a long contract that obliges him to play in a Russell martin defence where the defenders pass the ball to the opposition, without warning, multiple times per match... and often with a free run at goal... So maybe there is something in that.

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

I don't think Boro's 1st is the criminal offence some are making out. The boro player (who is left footed) checks inside to open up his foot as if shooting across goal. Baz is then partially unsighted as he goes to shoot due to bednarek coming across. just before the boro player hits it, bazunu takes a step to his right (the left side when facing the goal) and transfers his weight - which was fatal as he then can't recover. (I assume he was anticipating the shot across goal and expecting bednarek to close out the shot to the right hand side... The shot is then rifled under Bendarek's foot down to baz's left / into the low right hand side of the goal and you can see that he doesn't react until its past bendarek (and once his weight is transferred onto the wrong foot) - It was a pretty good/fast hit and he can't recover. If the boro player had put it in the far corner he would equally not have got to it without changing his positon - so he's gambled on the defence being able to cover that near post and the striker just gets it through low and hard. It happens imo. Or said another way, if he gets free sight of the shot he wouldn't react late and would know exactly where it was going to go, but similarly the player would have had a free shot on goal.

Also, its not just Bazunu who has taken the step to his right. THB is leaning exactly the same until its hit.

image.thumb.png.a6d6ff92bf26a2032ff2fa80a09c294a.png

image.thumb.png.a10aec599a33ee7363fc36275506c2e8.png

Aren't goalkeepers initially often unsighted? At least for most shots from outside the box, as there is usually at least one defender rushing out to get a block in. I reckon if you freeze alot of shot from outside the box, more often then not there will be someone in the way. That's why reflexes, positioning etc are so important, so that they can react better and late. I'm no goalkeeping expert though. But I do know we let in alot of goals from long range shots. I don't think i can ever remember a goalkeeper where we have been this desperate to find excuses for. I wonder how many Championship sides would be happy to trade keepers. (note I do think he has been a bit better last couple of games. But he's comfortably below a number of keepers in this league still)

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

On reflection, he does have the misfortune to have signed a long contract 

There’s only one misfortunate party in that deal, and it’s not him. Surprised he didn’t drop the fucking pen when he signed, he’s not kept hold of much since. With his positioning he probably sat in the wrong chair at the signing. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Did absolutely nothing wrong today and his distribution was excellent. 

Agreed thought he was good today. Didn’t have a lot to do but what he did he did well, like you say his distribution and sweeping behind then back 4 was impressive 

• Like 1

Made a smart stop at 1-0 when one of the Leeds players cut in from the left and hit an effort from range too. Parried it away from safety as well. Also dealt with a lot of their corners that were close to him. I know they scored from a corner, but it was well away from him when it went into the box. Good, solid game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Made a smart stop at 1-0 when one of the Leeds players cut in from the left and hit an effort from range too. Parried it away from safety as well. Also dealt with a lot of their corners that were close to him. I know they scored from a corner, but it was well away from him when it went into the box. Good, solid game. 

Plus his save at the end at the near post. The Northam singing his name should also help his confidence. 

• Like 2

Just to agree with much of the above. Impressed not only with the accuracy of the distribution, but with the weight of the delivery. I've seen many a 'keeper get it too the player, but with a pace that they struggle to control, by which time the advantage of getting the ball out to them has been lsot. Baz gets it to the player in a way they can actually do something with it. Nice to see.

Less out from the back again yesterday too. The full backs didn't post missing and we had a lot more effort in covering each other. All of which will hopefully offer him more protection. Nothing he could do for the goal. I'd have been looking at any of the crowd in front of him first anyway.

• Like 2

On 30/09/2023 at 14:47, Lighthouse said:

Did absolutely nothing wrong today and his distribution was excellent. 

not in the 2nd half it wasnt ,a few under hit passes to float the ball to KWP had us in difficulties, and at the time we could have given a needless goal away. Well thats how my brother and I saw it.

On 30/09/2023 at 22:31, HarvSFC said:

I said the same at the time. In games gone by he was parrying them straight into the middle of the goal. 

I'm not a huge fan of Baz, but he's been far from our worst player this season - solid enough at this level imo. 

42 minutes ago, Dman said:

I said the same at the time. In games gone by he was parrying them straight into the middle of the goal. 

I'm not a huge fan of Baz, but he's been far from our worst player this season - solid enough at this level imo. 

im far from convinced. He did well saturday but didn't have a lot to do, that save was fairly routine, although he did the right thing with it though. He seems to have paper wrists, the amount of times he get a hand to a shot and it still goes in is a real concern. He's more likely to cost us points than win us them at the moment but he is YHGTI so hopefully a season or more likely two in the championship will do him good. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Faint praise indeed.

Straight from the "we only beat poor teams" book of quotes!

Well he didn't did he. We defended well, i only really remember him having one shot to save, which i said he did well although definitely one he should be saving. He did well from crosses and corners and distribution was good. He didn't have a lot to do but he did what he had to do well, i'd say that's a fair summary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Well he didn't did he. We defended well, i only really remember him having one shot to save, which i said he did well although definitely one he should be saving. He did well from crosses and corners and distribution was good. He didn't have a lot to do but he did what he had to do well, i'd say that's a fair summary. 

For months I’ve been reading about how a proper keeper screams at his defenders, gets them organised and the fact that they’ve been so awful is partly his fault. You can’t have it both ways, if he’s had a quiet game with not much to do, he must have done an exceptional job of screaming at his defenders and organising them.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu