Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

I wasn’t there today, but by all accounts we had a lot of chances. A question for those that did see it. If you swapped keepers would the score still have been 1-1. 

As Baz’s fan boys don’t seem to like the “shots on target saved” stats, perhaps we could ask that particular question every week instead. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I wasn’t there today, but by all accounts we had a lot of chances. A question for those that did see it. If you swapped keepers would the score still have been 1-1. 

As Baz’s fan boys don’t seem to like the “shots on target saved” stats, perhaps we could ask that particular question every week instead. 

To be fair, he didn't have a whole lot to do today. The saves he made you would expect even him to make. Probably his positioning was suspect for their goal though, although he would say that THB should be making a better clearance than he actually did. 

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

To be fair, he didn't have a whole lot to do today. The saves he made you would expect even him to make. Probably his positioning was suspect for their goal though, although he would say that THB should be making a better clearance than he actually did. 

If he was nets for them, do you think we’d have won? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

He's stood 8 yards off his goal line. Its abysmal goalkeeping once again. Bin him off. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

If he was nets for them, do you think we’d have won? 

Highly likely. Their keeper was the stand out for them no question. However, a more confident and composed finish from Smallbone would have won it. He gave the keeper a chance to save it, when he absolutley shouls have buried it into either corner. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Has Baz ever had a game for us, like the Rotherham keeper?

nope, and probably never will

Man United away last year but I guess he was only up against Fernandes, Rashford, Anthony and Sancho.

Utterly laughable that people are piling in on him after today. I guess we can add ‘other keeper has excellent game’ to the list of faults in Bazunu’s game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Man United away last year but I guess he was only up against Fernandes, Rashford, Anthony and Sancho.

Utterly laughable that people are piling in on him after today. I guess we can add ‘other keeper has excellent game’ to the list of faults in Bazunu’s game.

It isn't laughable. The guy has been an utterly abysmal signing for £12m after playing for a midtable League One side. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

"Rotherham keeper is better at being a goalkeeper" is absolutely legitimate grounds for criticism. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

"Rotherham keeper is better at being a goalkeeper" is absolutely legitimate grounds for criticism. 

Well, next time a keeper lets in an absolute howler against us, I look forward to you telling us all how wonderful Baz is, by default.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Do think there has been one game he’s played in where the opposing supporters would have swapped keepers? 

He’s probably played against 40 different teams for us and I doubt one of those 40 sides wished he was in nets rather than their keeper. Not one.

• Like 5

On 07/10/2023 at 22:04, Lighthouse said:

• Like 1

He’s shit. Properly shit. 

Anyone defending him is just being nice because he’s so young. But he is hurting us so badly. Every shot on our goal goes in. It’s shocking.

We can have 80-90% possession, all the chances in the world and then concede the first half chance and lose because we have a lettuce goal keeper. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Anyone defending him is just being nice because he’s so young. But he is hurting us so badly. Every shot on our goal goes in. It’s shocking.

We can have 80-90% possession, all the chances in the world and then concede the first half chance and lose because we have a lettuce goal keeper. 

I believe it is currently 'every other' shot that goes in, but I'm sure St Clark has the correct stats....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

One out of every 2.13 shots.

2 hours ago, Galway saint said:

that doesn’t seem good

how does it compare to others in the division ?

To clarify I don't know if that's right i just said it for the lols. 

However his save percentage is roughly 45% which does mean so far this season almost every other shot on target has gone in.

As to the question of how it compares, it's the worst in the league.

Some people will tell you this stat doesn't matter because it doesn't take into account the quality of the shot and whilst that's true, using it to defend Bazunu implies that both this season and last we've faced mostly world class shots that are pretty much unstoppable.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 2

I think our new style of football is partially to blame for this save percentage. Baz gets left out to dry with high percentage shots often. Swansea had a terrible GA, as well. I would love to see him make more of the saves; that's undeniable. But some of you cry as though he is our main problem, and I don't think that is fair.

Do you really think either of our other goalies would do better? If so, why are they not being played?

• Like 2

On 08/10/2023 at 19:00, sambosa75 said:

He’s just shite.  Not his fault he keeps getting picked but all he’s demonstrated in his collective appearances for the club is that he’s simply not up to the job and likely never will be.

Yes because goalkeepers are usually in their prime by 21...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/10/2023 at 22:04, Lighthouse said:

the game where we played an hour against 10 men, completely dominated them and everyone was angry we didn't beat them. Great example :lol:

• Haha 2

On 07/10/2023 at 21:52, Lord Duckhunter said:

Think that this is a key point. Russ and Jase think Baz is the best in the league but not sure many managers would swap their current number one for ours. 

Given that we had 22 shots on Saturday and GB let’s in around one goal for every two shots a conservative estimate against Rotherham with Baz in goal would have been 10-0. Just the boost that was needed into the international break! 😀

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

One out of every 2.13 shots.

On 09/10/2023 at 07:07, Osvaldorama said:

And yet you think we have a team that should be getting automatic promotion. How do we mount a promotion push with a poor goalkeeper, wingers who don't have a final ball, a centre back prone to bad errors (Bednarek), and so on and so on. How is it Russell Martin's fault that he's been given these players to work with?

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
didn't actually mean to quote saint_clark but oh well

8 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

And yet you think we have a team that should be getting automatic promotion. How do we mount a promotion push with a poor goalkeeper, wingers who don't have a final ball, a centre back prone to bad errors (Bednarek), and so on and so on. How is it Russell Martin's fault that he's been given these players to work with?

Because a sensible manager would realise how shit our keeper is and stop putting him under pressure by playing like Man City. 

Instead he is forcing a system based on his philosophy instead of the players in front of him 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Because a sensible manager would realise how shit our keeper is and stop putting him under pressure by playing like Man City. 

Instead he is forcing a system based on his philosophy instead of the players in front of him 

The passing game is the one thing that Bazunu is good at! And he hasn't had that many shots to save in recent games, he just lets in too many of the ones that do come to him

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Some people will tell you this stat doesn't matter because it doesn't take into account the quality of the shot and whilst that's true, using it to defend Bazunu implies that both this season and last we've faced mostly world class shots that are pretty much unstoppable.

Especially from Rotherham and Grimsby, renowned world beaters those teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Think that this is a key point. Russ and Jase think Baz is the best in the league but not sure many managers would swap their current number one for ours. 

Given that we had 22 shots on Saturday and GB let’s in around one goal for every two shots a conservative estimate against Rotherham with Baz in goal would have been 10-0. Just the boost that was needed into the international break! 😀

Friendly pedant with calculator at the ready.... 10 shots on target so 5-0 not 10.  You're welcome 😇

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Especially from Rotherham and Grimsby, renowned world beaters those teams.

Both Grimsby’s goals were penalties although TBF he didn’t get anywhere near either of them. In fact I’d say he was a good 70 yards away from both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

the game where we played an hour against 10 men, completely dominated them and everyone was angry we didn't beat them. Great example :lol:

Strange, I seem to be remembering it like a lot of people on this thread

but you remember it however you like.

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Strange, I seem to be remembering it like a lot of people on this thread

but you remember it however you like.

Seems like it's you having trouble remembering it.

Where in that thread does it say anything remotely like Bazunu kept us in it like the Rotherham keeper did on saturday, which is what you claimed? A few comments saying he played well but it was hardly Rorkes Drift, they had 4 shots on target FFS.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Seems like it's you having trouble remembering it.

Where in that thread does it say anything remotely like Bazunu kept us in it like the Rotherham keeper did on saturday, which is what you claimed? A few comments saying he played well but it was hardly Rorkes Drift, they had 4 shots on target FFS.

Well if you can’t score to save your life, I’d say a keeper making excellent saves is keeping you in the match. There were also numerous people saying he commanded his box well, came for crosses and kept a clean sheet. If he hadn’t saved those four shots on target, we’d have lost 4-0, it’s a shame Professor Hawking died and isn’t around to explain the maths to you.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Well if you can’t score to save your life, I’d say a keeper making excellent saves is keeping you in the match. There were also numerous people saying he commanded his box well, came for crosses and kept a clean sheet. If he hadn’t saved those four shots on target, we’d have lost 4-0, it’s a shame Professor Hawking died and isn’t around to explain the maths to you.

:lol: Fucking hell. He made one good save i'll give you that. if you want to thin he's the new Buffon then you crack on, maybe we should all just be grateful he makes any saves at all, you seem to be. 🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Shame it went to rat shit after that game.

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It really is slim pickings when the only thing in his defence is one top save he made against Bruno Fernandes in over a year.

and we should be grateful we didnt lose 4-0 because he let in the 4 shots he faced :lol:

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 09:47, Bad Wolf said:

No but they tend to show some promise and their game tends to have some obvious strengths or be showing evident signs of progress.  I can honestly say despite the number of first team appearances he's has for us he hasn't demonstrated a competence for any single facet of the game.  Even this ridiculous notion that he's great with the ball at his feet is bollocks.  And even if it was true, its the least important fundamental skill a keeper should have in their toolkit.

There has been no clear improvement in any aspect of his game.

As I said before, its not his fault.  He's just not up to it.  I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sambosa75 said:

No but they tend to show some promise and their game tends to have some obvious strengths or be showing evident signs of progress.  I can honestly say despite the number of first team appearances he's has for us he hasn't demonstrated a competence for any single facet of the game.  Even this ridiculous notion that he's great with the ball at his feet is bollocks.  And even if it was true, its the least important fundamental skill a keeper should have in their toolkit.

There has been no clear improvement in any aspect of his game.

As I said before, its not his fault.  He's just not up to it.  I'm actually starting to feel sorry for him.

Seriously? His distribution has been outstanding this season and realistically he's been responsible for one goal - Sunderland's third.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 09:47, Bad Wolf said:

what’s the point in us letting him make all his mistakes with us  would be better off loaning him out if he’s not ready .

all this talk of potential with him im not seeing it . Wouldn’t it be great to have a keeper like Niemi again who actually makes crazy stops you wouldn’t expect him to make ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

what’s the point in us letting him make all his mistakes with us  would be better off loaning him out if he’s not ready .

all this talk of potential with him im not seeing it . Wouldn’t it be great to have a keeper like Niemi again who actually makes crazy stops you wouldn’t expect him to make ?

we’ve been over all this countless times but Bazanu doesn’t make that many absolute howlers. his goals conceded tend to be more in the camp of ‘could have done better’ or ‘should have saved that’ or ‘i’d have expected him to save that one’.

even if he did make absolute gaffs everyone would forgive him if he made some great saves as all fans can forgive their keeper the odd howler so long as he’s making great saves and winning points.

the rotherham keeper on saturday was a case in point as what a difference a keeper can make to the outcome of a match.

i don’t think Bazanu has ever done that but equally i don’t think he’s lost us any points this season - it’s just that he’s not altered the course of a game either and he’s never really been that sort of keeper and I don’t think he ever will. he’s a nothing sort of keeper.

however he’s obviously not going anywhere any time soon

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

we’ve been over all this countless times but Bazanu doesn’t make that many absolute howlers. his goals conceded tend to be more in the camp of ‘could have done better’ or ‘should have saved that’ or ‘i’d have expected him to save that one’.

even if he did make absolute gaffs everyone would forgive him if he made some great saves as all fans can forgive their keeper the odd howler so long as he’s making great saves and winning points.

the rotherham keeper on saturday was a case in point as what a difference a keeper can make to the outcome of a match.

i don’t think Bazanu has ever done that but equally i don’t think he’s lost us any points this season - it’s just that he’s not altered the course of a game either and he’s never really been that sort of keeper and I don’t think he ever will. he’s a nothing sort of keeper.

i liked reading that, i still see a young up and coming Peter Shilton type keeper in him ,but we should have loaned him out and bought in an experienced keeper for this season and seen where he might have gotten us.

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

Don’t really agree on this he’s like a hologram and rarely makes saves .. and also has a crappy habit that when does make stops he parries the ball out to opposing player 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu