Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

I went into this match with zero expectation and I've still come away disappointed 😂. Russell Martin seemingly has very limited tactical and in game management nous based on what we've seen so far this season and he openly admits to stubbornly sticking with his "plan A" regardless of form. Who's really surprised though? He's just the latest left field appointment to go wrong under Sport Republic's stewardship. I'd have no confidence in their ability to find a replacement even if they did see sense and sacked him now. This season is starting to feel like a write off I'm afraid and our future's looking bleak.

I also don't see why Dragan Solak seems to be absolved from criticism. These are his lakeys as well as Ankersen's. We've been taken over by a group with a flawed ideology, unwilling to compromise on their model. They seemingly place no value on experience or track record in regards to both staff and player recruitment.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

I’m just hoping there are 3 worse teams than us come the end of the season. 
that’s our trajectory….down. 
And the skates passing us in the opposite direction. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻

season feels strangely familiar to when Bagpuss was at the helm in the championship. We were going down until Burley's side when on a run. We might need a run like that again.

I wouldn't fancy playing the skates right now with this side. Bypassing them might be a blessing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I wanted him sold - mostly because he will walk for free and next summer we will have £0 to spend - but having kept him, I expected him to bully CBs, hold the ball up and get us up the pitch. He hasn't done that at all yet. 

Just looks pretty disinterested to be honest. I get he might be pissed at not getting his move, but he's a professional footballer. He should have used this year to show what he can do, on this form he isn't getting a move in January back to the Premier.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Flying Leeds will probably put us to the sword next Saturday. 5 defeats on the bounce, 3 at home should see the manager depart the following Monday. 

You're in dreamland, mate. Well, not about Leeds ripping us a new one. But even if things stay as bad as they are now, Martin's going nowhere for a while.

I've watched (when possible) and supported Saints for over 65 years.

Because of poor health I haven't seen them live for a long time but have paid Sky an extortionate amount to watch them when possible.

If we give Martin more time and results carry on getting worse it may be too late.

The owners need to make a decision this month at the latest.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

By and large the summer signings have looked very poor. Not impressed by Manning, THB, Holgate, Downes and Fraser at all. Thought Charles was OK today, but not seen enough of him in Cm.

I think THB and Charles will do fine. But agree Fraser seems to have no speed, creativity or trickery, just a willingness to graft. Holgate and Downes have both been shockingly bad. 

Charles needs a proper DM partner. Can we re-coach Aribo into being a DM shithouse?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I went into this match with zero expectation and I've still come away disappointed 😂. Russel Martin seemingly has very limited tactical and in game management nous based on what we've seen so far this season and he openly admits to stubbornly sticking with his "plan A" regardless of form. Who's really surpised though? He's just the lastest left field appointment to go wrong under Sport Republic's stewardship. I'd have no confidence in their ability to find a replacement even if they did see sense and sacked him now. This season is starting to feel like a write off I'm afraid and the future's looking bleak.

I also don't see why Dragan Solak seems to be absolved from critisicm. These are his lakeys as well as Ankersen's. We've been taken over by a group with a flawed ideology, unwilling to compromise on their model. They seemingly place no value on experince or track record in regards to both staff and player recruitment.

It's because Solak supplies the money but it's Ankersen who makes the decisions based on his left field recruitment phhilosphy,  that it's better to recruit people who've failed in the past because they'll have learned from their mistakes, which would make him look like a genius if it worked but, as anyone with an ounce of common sense could tell you, it usually doesn't.

#EmbraceFailure

Training Ground Guru | Rasmus Ankersen: Why football clubs should embrace failure

This team is completely lost, i don’t think they understand the system we’re meant to be playing. When we press we don't press as a team and when we attack we dont get enough in the attacking third.

look at the last few games, how many clear cut chances have we created.? Hardly any, I really don’t see that changing under Martin, who quite frankly is piss poor. His interview last week blaming scars was gutless.. just alluding to the fact that the players are mentally weak, how would a player listening to that feel? He needs to go.. I know I will get hammered but now is the time to get someone in who knows how to build a team from back to front. Someone like adkins would unite the fan base at least. 

As for SR … crap. Every decision they make is terrible and wonder if Wilcox’s head needs to removed from his arse as his involvement thus far has been a disaster. 

• Like 2

What the hell goes on in training?, for the life of me I can't see any improvements. 

Nothing is working on the pitch, nothing, zilch, jack, nada, zip, squat, nowt.

How long does it go on with SR hiring and putting in charge total incompetence. That is now three in a row and probably counting. Useless fuckers 

4 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I think THB and Charles will do fine.

What do you see in THB? He is pretty comfortable on the ball and can ping a pass, but equally he can put us in real trouble with other passes. I'm concerned about just how lightweight he looks. He isn't all that big, strong or quick. Nathan Wood looked a better physical specimen, but I guess we couldn't force Swansea to sell.

Just now, Chez said:

What do you see in THB? He is pretty comfortable on the ball and can ping a pass, but equally he can put us in real trouble with other passes. I'm concerned about just how lightweight he looks. He isn't all that big, strong or quick. Nathan Wood looked a better physical specimen, but I guess we couldn't force Swansea to sell.

He was outstanding last season and is the u21 captain. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That was just a shambles today, beaten by a shite team and we barely created anything.

We’ve hired a manager who has achieved nothing in his career, it’s like the Jones situation all over again - how long do you give him?

That's just not true though is it? Particularly not of Jones. You'd have to be a bit simple to suggest that Jones didn't work wonders at Luton.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's just not true though is it? Particularly not of Jones. You'd have to be a bit simple to suggest that Jones didn't work wonders at Luton.

I’m sure Luton were 9th in the Championship when Jones came to us. They are now in the EPL so if anything, he may have hindered their progress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

What the hell goes on in training?, for the life of me I can't see any improvements. 

Nothing is working on the pitch, nothing, zilch, jack, nada, zip, squat, nowt.

How long does it go on with SR hiring and putting in charge total incompetence. That is now three in a row and probably counting. Useless fuckers 

there was a move in the second half where Manning came all the way across, picked the ball up in central midfield and we played through them and this started a good attack down the right wing.  At that moment you could see perhaps what RM is after, but I can't say I saw an improvement.

Jones had nothing on his CV that suggested he could manage a Premiership club successfully, but was appointed.

Martin had nothing on his CV that suggested he could get us promoted, but was appointed. 

Anyone have any confidence SR/ Wilcox will get the next appointment right when they eventually sack Martin? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Martin: “We came out in the second half and had total control, we reacted really well. And then we give the goal away, Middlesbrough had nothing in the second half.” #saintsfc [bbc]

Let's ignored about the breakaway chances they had, one where Bazunu saved and another where they hit the post. Their keeper had one basic save to make the entire game. This guy is an absolute clown. 

Edited by Block41 Saint
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

Martin: “We came out in the second half and had total control, we reacted really well. And then we give the goal away, Middlesbrough had nothing in the second half.” #saintsfc [bbc]

Let's ignored about the breakaway chances they had, one where Bazunu saved and another where they hit the post. Their keeper had one basic save to make the entire game. This guy is an absolute clown. 

Yes, these kind of inane comments where our manager chooses to ignore what everyone has seen with their own eyes are frankly very insulting. He pulls the wool over only his own eyes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I went into this match with zero expectation and I've still come away disappointed 😂. Russell Martin seemingly has very limited tactical and in game management nous based on what we've seen so far this season and he openly admits to stubbornly sticking with his "plan A" regardless of form. Who's really surprised though? He's just the latest left field appointment to go wrong under Sport Republic's stewardship. I'd have no confidence in their ability to find a replacement even if they did see sense and sacked him now. This season is starting to feel like a write off I'm afraid and our future looks bleak.

I also don't see why Dragan Solak seems to be absolved from criticism. These are his lakeys as well as Ankersen's. We've been taken over by a group with a flawed ideology, unwilling to compromise on their model. They seemingly place no value on experience or track record in regards to both staff and player recruitment.

Hard to argue with any of that. We could sack useless Martin tomorrow and we’d just replace him with another clueless tosser. 

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

According to their fans, they really rated him but already had an abundance of decent CBs who were ahead of him in the pecking order

Yeah he's great, but we have four CBs that are better. What a ringing endorsement.

Perhaps he's top notch - I've only seen a few games this season - but Coburn totally dominated him today. Made him look lightweight. That is a concern.