January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Wouldn't be remotely bothered about taking an AFCON player if they were the right person - especially as our toughest spell is March to end of the season. Its not like our squad is so small and crap that we cannot cope with what we have until February.

In the case of Diallo specifically, having been out injured he would benefit from AFCON games anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Well, Stephens has done a job for us at both right and left back in the Prem. He'd probably be more than capable at this level. 

It would mean Simeu getting on the bench I imagine!

Thought Simeu was out long term, ruptured achilles. Vokins is still at the club.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Thought Simeu was out long term, ruptured achilles. Vokins is still at the club.

Vokins couldn't get in a Woking team in the conference last season. He's also 23 (I think) and doesn't even train with the 1st team. That speaks volumes.

I'd be utterly astounded if he ever made an appearance for us again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fraser Spinney said:

We’re light at right wing and Nathan Tella wasn’t replaced in the summer. Could this be addressed in January?

https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/southampton-can-finally-replace-nathan-tella-as-martin-eyes-incredible-23m-whiz/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

We might be "light" at right wing....but we are absent at No 9....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Vokins couldn't get in a Woking team in the conference last season. He's also 23 (I think) and doesn't even train with the 1st team. That speaks volumes.

I'd be utterly astounded if he ever made an appearance for us again. 

I tend to agree, but WTF is he doing at the Club if he is never going to play? Still makes him a more viable option currently than Simeu. Yes he is 23, going on 24. 

21 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I tend to agree, but WTF is he doing at the Club if he is never going to play? Still makes him a more viable option currently than Simeu. Yes he is 23, going on 24. 

I'd say a majority of players registered with the club hardly ever play for us. At some point, you cut them or sell them off.

On 24/12/2023 at 22:49, VectisSaint said:

I guess it's because we gave him a long term contract back when it looked like he was making inroads to the 1st team under Ralph (circa 2020, maybe?)

He, rightly, probably doesn't want to give that up and other clubs probably can't match it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suhari said:

Would love to see a couple of decent loans to help us get over the line this season.

A couple of modern Billy Sharps.

Ings and Diallo would do the job.

Wonder if SR are willing to roll the dice?

Ings? Give it a rest. We're no longer looking for yesterday's men.

• Like 2

Like I was saying before the result I really don’t see the clamour for a goal scoring wide man we really have a ton of riches in these positions and sulemana who can easily turn out the best of the lot ..wasn’t so long ago everyone thought Fraser was rubbish ..

team are clicking great now and the squad players are all competing hard for places too .. hope we don’t disrupt the harmony too much in the January window . 

Striker and maybe a left back and done for me

• Like 8

I’d send Holgate back and look to get a loan forward in.

its tricky position as we want players to get promoted with but any signing now needs to be good enough for the premier league. We don’t want to be stuck with a signing who we then deem surplus come Aug. 

• Like 3

Ideal window for me would be somethin like this;

Out

Che

Mara (on loan)

Holgate

In 

Miovski (Che / Stewart Replacement)

Ings (Loan) 

A right winger - someone like Diallo would be ideal. 

Being greedy, at a push, a CDM.

I genuinely think if we can get a top quality forward and a decent right winger, we'll go up in the autos, with ease. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Out

Che

Mara (on loan)

Holgate

In 

Ings (Loan) 

I genuinely think if we can get a top quality forward and a decent right winger, we'll go up in the autos, with ease. 

Ings won't be coming to us.

Plenty of prem teams who will take a risk and pay more of his wages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Out

Che

Mara (on loan)

Holgate

In 

Ings (Loan) 

I would give Ryan Fraser a run at right wing - he's right footed so it makes sense. 

35 minutes ago, saintant said:

I would give Ryan Fraser a run at right wing - he's right footed so it makes sense. 

I always remembered him playing from the right for Bmth but RM seems to prefer him from the left, where Edozie is also better.

If we can get someone in who plays on the right then it would make sense but only if they are a starting XI player.

2 hours ago, manji said:

Yep I’m sure Mowbrays influence is going to make the difference. We have money available.

Just checked out his Miovski recent goals. Would be a very makes sense signing for probably c £5m+.  Insurance policy v anything happening to AA and/or Che leaving. 

He does seem to be efficient at converting cutbacks from either wing by foot or head m.  A lot like the kind of service I’d hope he’d get from saints - and the type of goal / chance we seem to frequently make/score. 

IF Che leaves for any kind of nominal fee in Jan - ( you know £2/£3millions) then bringing Miovski in at c £5m and who may have upward mobility on his value if he does well at Saints plus would be on cheaper wages than Che would seem eminently sensible.  
Would essentially be our second striker and takeover Che’s job currently on the bench but coming on late to score or whenever we want an extra forward up top. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dman said:

Out

Che

Mara (on loan)

Holgate

In 

Ings (Loan) 

If Holgate leaves for me I feel we need another CB. All it takes is a couple of knocks or suspensions over the long season and suddenly we're using Shea Charles at CB as 4th choice which I'm not completely comfortable with (and it weakens DM), or Simeu/Awe or another youth player. Holgate is fine as 4th choice but if Everton do want him back then another loanee would be good.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Get a pacey winger in (like Leeds have Summerville and Leicester have Mvididi) and we’ll push hard for too two.

Adamd will probably stay til the end of the season then leave on a free. 

Erm, we have Sulemana?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 24/12/2023 at 01:00, woodsaint1 said:

With one Scottish striker likely leaving during the window and another out injured for the forseeable, I'd look to another to bring us some much needed goals.

Lawrence Shankland - 15 goals for Hearts this season and scored for Scotland too. Been linked with Rangers and a few other clubs. A better option than Miovski who we've been linked with. 28 which might put some off but it wouldnt cost us too much. Plus, our record of signings from the Scottish premier hasnt been too shabby

Another winner, this time in the Edinburgh derby

• Like 1

Anyone hoping we are going on some sort of transfer spending splurge in January needs to adjust their expectations!

It is clear we won't be making any "statement" signings that will be challenging our record transfer fee. FFP rules mean we can only really buy if we sell some of those players currently out on loan or Che Adams. 

Southampton CEO Phil Parsons issues statement regarding January transfer market.

I personally think we will look at the loan market.

"In the new year myself, Russell (Martin), Jason (Wilcox) and our owners, Sport Republic, will all be trying to keep the squad as stable as possible to keep the momentum going in the right direction.

"We will continue to make sure the club is financially safe and won't gamble the future of the club by spending over the odds on players, especially given the constraints of Financial Fair Play.

"Thankfully, our squad is strong and the mix of experienced heads and young talent means we're in a good position."

Parsons added: "It's so important that the players we have here all want to be here and are committed to playing and fighting for Southampton.

Edited by BARCELONASAINT
  • Like 2

We all remember the signing of Faustino asprilla and how that contributed to squad fracturing for Newcastle just when unity was going to be worth the Premiership title to them and KK. 

We get in someone tasty like that up front this window and it may have negative knock on effects on Sam, AA, SA, Charlie even KS and Che. It may have the reverse it’s true- but it’s a risk. 

If it was somebody with Ryan frasers humility and capability is another matter altogether. If this Miovski fella has got that humility dna (see how JS says he trusts RM and happy to play anywhere he says- THATS the attitude! ) then I’d be thumbs up but a big NO to big time Charlie’s.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gio1saints said:

We all remember the signing of Faustino asprilla and how that contributed to squad fracturing for Newcastle just when unity was going to be worth the Premiership title to them and KK. 

We get in someone tasty like that up front this window and it may have negative knock on effects on Sam, AA, SA, Charlie even KS and Che. It may have the reverse it’s true- but it’s a risk. 

If it was somebody with Ryan frasers humility and capability is another matter altogether. If this Miovski fella has got that humility dna (see how JS says he trusts RM and happy to play anywhere he says- THATS the attitude! ) then I’d be thumbs up but a big NO to big time Charlie’s.

Yeah agree, At the moment we have nice competition for places going even the likes of alcaraz on the bench last game ,Fraser has been great lately and hes not starting and Mara is starting to contribute too., 

if we do make signings we don’t really need it disrupting the harmony in the squad we have built up ,these players need to feel they are part of things or they become in a similar position to holgate where they haven’t done much wrong but are not getting mins

still wouldn’t mind a proper striker though even as just a option 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah agree, At the moment we have nice competition for places going even the likes of alcaraz on the bench last game ,Fraser has been great lately and hes not starting and Mara is starting to contribute too., 

if we do make signings we don’t really need it disrupting the harmony in the squad we have built up ,these players need to feel they are part of things or they become in a similar position to holgate where they haven’t done much wrong but are not getting mins

still wouldn’t mind a proper striker though even as just a option 

Our finance guy (Parsons?) hinted on squad solidarity mood being of great value when the recent article was published on OS. And not “ overpaying”. 

I did wonder though if that was in part a negotiating ploy to get teams not to go mad if we do actually enquire for someone. Miovski has gone from maybe £5m to £6.5m in a week. What would make moral sense ( to me anyway) would be “balancing” the squad ie a one in- one out approach somewhere. 

Edited by gio1saints

On 27/12/2023 at 22:05, FarehamSaintJames said:

Get a pacey winger in (like Leeds have Summerville and Leicester have Mvididi) and we’ll push hard for too two.

Adamd will probably stay til the end of the season then leave on a free. 

Isn’t that SAA? 

He was tearing up matches for the last 30 mins at the start of the season. He’s not playing right now because Arma plays better from the sides rather than centrally, and we have an embarrassment of riches at left wing.

• Like 2

Summary of transfer rumours so far, not long now until the window opens…

In:

Matias Soule (Juventus)

Charlie Cresswell (loan from Leeds)

Amad Diallo (Loan from United)

Ben Johnson (WHU)

Bojan Miovski (Aberdeen)

Danny Ings (Loan from WHU)

Ryan Fraser (reported we might make a permanent but not sure why we wouldn’t wait until the end of the season)

David Brooks (loan from Bournemouth)

Out:

Holgate (loan recall to Everton)

KWP (WHU interested)

Che Adams (reported we may cash in)

Sekou Mara (loan to Lille)

I think Philogene and Delap at Hull would have been great signings, shame we missed out on those two previously. Amad Diallo would be a great signing.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

It’s quite a small squad we have and when it’s already got Sam, RF, AA, KS, and Amo plus KWP all able to play on the right wing to a good standard and all with pace. I wouldn't have thought it was top Priority. 
I’d be concerned if Holgate went back to Everton so in that case would want an incoming similar replacement for sure. 
Id love Sekou to come good in next 3/4 games but if he’s not then I’m in favour of someone like that Miovski from Scotland broug brought into the squad and maybe sekou getting a chance elsewhere out on loan.