January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

44 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

I know there’s all sorts of machinations and intrigue around transfers these days but I was wondering why we haven’t apparently tried to sign Fraser on a permanent deal yet. IMO he’s certainly shown enough to be an asset to the club. Anyone know anything?

FFP rules

• Like 1

Bournemouth's 29-year-old English midfielder Joe Rothwell is set to have a medical at Southampton before completing a loan move until the end of the season. (Daily Echo)    

Southampton are also targeting a winger on loan this month with Manchester United's 21-year-old Ivory Coast international Amad Diallo and Bournemouth's Wales international David Brooks, 26, on their shortlist. (Givemesport)

Edited by East Kent Saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Seems Rothwell is more of a Carvalho alternative than anything to do with the RW search. 

I reckon we will keep Che and it will be Rothwell plus a RW and that will complete our business.

Be quite happy with that to be honest.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

I know there’s all sorts of machinations and intrigue around transfers these days but I was wondering why we haven’t apparently tried to sign Fraser on a permanent deal yet. IMO he’s certainly shown enough to be an asset to the club. Anyone know anything?

Personally don't see much rationale in signing a 30yrd old on a permanent basis. He's a useful loan player at championship level but not convinced we should be splashing money for a permanent deal if we get promoted let alone if we end up stuck in this division.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Bournemouth's 29-year-old English midfielder Joe Rothwell is set to have a medical at Southampton 

Lets hope it a different medical team that waived through Stewart lol

• Confused 3

Just listening to Talk Sport re Newcastle's worsening injury crisis, and their inability to dip into the market due to the constraints of FFP,   does anyone know if there is a recall option on Ryan Fraser?

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Just listening to Talk Sport re Newcastle's worsening injury crisis, and their inability to dip into the market due to the constraints of FFP,   does anyone know if there is a recall option on Ryan Fraser?

You get the impression both parties would rather set their head on fire than go down that route.

34 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Everton, Palace and Wolves told to pay £6m for Adams.

I can’t help but feel that he’s more valuable to us than £6m. Especially in his current form. 

• Like 5

Just now, Dman said:

I can’t help but feel that he’s more valuable to us than £6m. Especially in his current form. 

Maybe they have a potential replacement lined up who costs around that figure? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Maybe they have a potential replacement lined up who costs around that figure? 

Seems risky to me. Che has proven, when he can be arsed, can score plenty at this level. Anyone we bring in would be a gamble. 

Fully aware that contradicts what I said about ins vs outs at the start of the thread.. my opinion on che changes weekly

Upon reflection, i think I’m settled on - whilst risky, a direct L4L replacement of Che and that lad form Aberdeen is probably the right thing to do..

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

image.thumb.jpeg.28e84207e2c244fb007cb59bbf18c6fe.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.28e84207e2c244fb007cb59bbf18c6fe.jpeg

Edited by manji
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Seems risky to me. Che has proven, when he can be arsed, can score plenty at this level. Anyone we bring in would be a gamble. 

Fully aware that contradicts what I said about ins vs outs at the start of the thread.. my opinion on che changes weekly

Upon reflection, i think I’m settled on - whilst risky, a direct L4L replacement of Che and that lad form Aberdeen is probably the right thing to do..

It’s healthy to change your mind if the evidence suggests it to you. It’s usually a mark of high intelligence but also pretty courageous to do - so kudos. 

My view on Che is reluctantly on the side of sell - I have same reservations as yourself BUT if we get a l4l replacement that balances out. 
My analysis of Che ( Ive posted this somewhere) suggests he is statistically speaking, good for around another 6 goals this season if he stays. Any replacement scores less than that ( or with added assists ) then it’s been a mistake- even with £6m banked. Replacement scores and assists more- it was the right call. 

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

It’s healthy to change your mind if the evidence suggests it to you. It’s usually a mark of high intelligence but also pretty courageous to do - so kudos. 

My view on Che is reluctantly on the side of sell - I have same reservations as yourself BUT if we get a l4l replacement that balances out. 
My analysis of Che ( Ive posted this somewhere) suggests he is statistically speaking, good for around another 6 goals this season if he stays. Any replacement scores less than that ( or with added assists ) then it’s been a mistake- even with £6m banked. Replacement scores and assists more- it was the right call. 

Alternatively, the replacement scores less than 6 and we go up anyway with 6 million more in our pocket. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

The first comment on that post

😂😂😂

How can they still be whining about that. It was an insulting offer. We turned them down. Then sold Tella for more than twice that to a side that wasn't taking the piss. Who do they think they are? Liverpool?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coalman said:

How can they still be whining about that. It was an insulting offer. We turned them down. Then sold Tella for more than twice that to a side that wasn't taking the piss. Who do they think they are? Liverpool?

That's not "them" talking. That's a fat bloke wearing a santa hat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

The first comment on that post

😂😂😂

''What we did with Tella'' - what, held out for what we thought was too good to turn down? We weren't selling him for a packet of crisps and a fag packet, not our fault that's all Burnley have to play with financially. It's like they're entitled enough to think we should just give him to them. They're Burnley, they need to have a quick look out their windows at their town and bring themselves down a peg or 10.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, egg said:

That's not "them" talking. That's a fat bloke wearing a santa hat. 

In my head that is functionally equivalent concept to Burnley football club.

Edited by coalman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, coalman said:

In my head that is functionally equivalent concept to Burnley football club.

Ha!! He looks like Michael Van Gerwen at a Christmas party to me. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Ha!! He looks like Michael Van Gerwen at a Christmas party to me. 

Behaving strangely at a party nobody thought he'd been invited to yet drunk enough to believe he belongs there? And behaving creepily enough that the other party goers are thinking of going home early. I rest my case.

On 15/01/2024 at 13:04, Baird of the land said:

Personally don't see much rationale in signing a 30yrd old on a permanent basis. He's a useful loan player at championship level but not convinced we should be splashing money for a permanent deal if we get promoted let alone if we end up stuck in this division.

Not rational as you say but clearly there is still a lot of mileage in the Fraser engine and the other mechanicals seem to be working just fine. Age is just a number; he may be 30 yo but seems have the energy and physical condition of a 25 yo. On that basis I would take a chance on him, 2 year contract in the summer and we have a far more than competent back-up to the fast developing Edozie & Sulemana, what's to lose? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, coalman said:

Behaving strangely at a party nobody thought he'd been invited to yet drunk enough to believe he belongs there? And behaving creepily enough that the other party goers are thinking of going home early. I rest my case.

To be fair, that just sounds like you are reminiscing!!

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Boro apparently winning the race for Amad Diallo loan as they are offering to pay a higher amount of his wages. We are still interested (Alan Nixon)

I'll wait until I hear it from somebody else. Nixon's about as reliable as Alex Crook when it comes to transfer news. Set up a patreon account to take peoples money for transfer gossip. A bit like them call lines they used to give in shoot/match magazines

• Like 2

Diallo since publicly stated his love for Sunderland and denied the Boro move.

Allegedly, the message shows him saying ‘the only club I’d join on loan outside the prem is Sunderland.’

8 hours ago, Monk said:

Diallo since publicly stated his love for Sunderland and denied the Boro move.

Allegedly, the message shows him saying ‘the only club I’d join on loan outside the prem is Sunderland.’

Well that’s a shame, he would have been perfect. Manuel Benson seems to be the main target then #FreeBenson, unless there is still a chance with David Brooks.

IMG_2312.thumb.jpeg.7f664820670fb455fcc9b231af556155.jpeg

• Like 1

Still don’t see the point in this rw/benson need with Armstrong having most goals and a ton of assists why would you move him ?

its the equivalent of Liverpool signing someone to replace prime salah for this league :)

not to mention we have Fraser and soon to be sulemana and edozie to keep happy. I get the left footed thing but Arma is kinda proving we don’t really need that 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Still don’t see the point in this rw/benson need with Armstrong having most goals and a ton of assists why would you move him ?

its the equivalent of Liverpool signing someone to replace prime salah for this league :)

not to mention we have Fraser and soon to be sulemana and edozie to keep happy. I get the left footed thing but Arma is kinda proving we don’t really need that 

We don't even have a left footed attacker in the squad (bar SAA who is good prospect but clearly not there yet) so surely he'd be a good alternative? 

30 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Good point.  But we could always move Adam A to the centre.

Not signing a RW would not be make or break for Saints this season, all things being equal. IMO. 

Any replacement for Che though cannot just be a “goal scorer”, that’s not enough. They need to be able to be effective in a team that plays PB football.

That means possess high technical ability, high stamina, great humility & selflessness, plus high football intelligence in tactical and situational awareness to hit the ground running. 

That is why I think we may be a little surprised if/when Che goes at the type of replacement brought in. It won’t be a Tall Paul type put it that way! 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1