January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

10 hours ago, Appy said:

Probably fair enough, doesn’t fit our best team. 

Martin seems to prefer old cast off journeymen to raw young highly gifted players, which rather explodes the myth that he excels at developing players.

Losing Alcaraz will be a body blow to our hopes of building a team capable of staying in the PL more than one season, if we ever get there.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 10

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Martin seems to prefer old cast off journeymen to raw young highly gifted players, which rather explodes the myth that he excels at developing players.

Losing Alcaraz will be a body blow to our hopes of building a team capable of staying in the PL more than one season, if we ever get there.

What a weird way of looking at a very successful manager so far. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As said before it’s a shame if he does go because he seems like a really likeable guy with some talent.

But let’s look at this another way, he’s scored a handful of goals in his time here and that’s it.
You could argue Chris Perry was a more significant signing over a decade ago, he scored roughly as many as a 3”4” CB.

In my opinion he has had a lot of leeway towards him because he had a bit of flair, and when he came in quite frankly it was nice to have a player that moved forward rather than sat deep.

I’d also argue he’s had less impact than Armando Broja did, but let’s be honest, he hasn’t been groundbreaking.

Nothing against the lad, wish him all the best but if someone offered £25m for him I’d have taken it so to potentially get more than that down the line is incredible work by the club.

While all of what you're saying is true I'd like to point out that he's still only 21. 

• Like 4

Sad to hear Alcaraz is moving on, he’s been saying all season how he wants to stay and be a PL player with us next season. I guess Juventus was too big an opportunity to refuse, combined with his lack of playing time.

Doubts about our possession football style being best suited to his strengths but at 21 I think he will improve and likely have a career at a higher level than Saints.

I expected him to be a star player for us this season but he’s become a bit part player, maybe he’s not as good as I think he is? Martin doesn’t appear to trust him and his ball retention on Sunday in that first half was very poor. He looked better when the first team players came on, I’m intrigued to see how he gets on at Juventus, Serie A winners medal would be nice.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Very much out of the blue, the move for Charly. I wonder if there will be any more last minute ins and outs before the window shuts? If Che or Mara goes too, I assume we would want them replaced unless Ross Stewart has a miracle recovery?

Too late on both counts.

Just now, gio1saints said:

That 6mth loan fee is a Saints record, if true. It’s on a level for what teams are bidding for Che on a perm. Crazy. But kudos to the recruitment and contracts team.

Agreed. We are paying Bournemouth for 2 loan fees but Charlie 's loan fee plus the transfer fee for Doyle mean that it hasn't been a bad window (so far) financially. 

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That's a blow, I really like Charly and think he can offer a lot. He hasn't been the regular we all expected him to be though. You could argue it's player led as he wants to play, but he's not going to play regular at Juve. 

I imagine we'll get a decent fee, plus wages covered. If they stump up £35m in the summer we've made more than double our money if we're looking at it pure profit wise.

I'm disappointed though.

It's a no brainer for us because he hasn't ripped up this league like we thought he would and when playing has been giving the ball away far too much for our style. It's win-win for us because Alcaraz gets 6 months with a top Italian club who presumably pay all his wages and, if they want him after that they'll have to pay a premium of over 35 million - if not he returns next season with some useful experience under his belt. I doubt he'd be getting loads of game time for us based on his performances lately so would mainly have been warming the bench. Sensible business in my book.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

The option to buy is just fluff.  Juventus won’t be paying £40m for him unless he rips up Serie A and other clubs become interested.

Exactly - Juve aren't spending 40m on him. He'll be back here next season. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

That 6mth loan fee is a Saints record, if true. It’s on a level for what teams are bidding for Che on a perm. Crazy. But kudos to the recruitment and contracts team.

That amount of money probably pays for most of the backroom staff or most of our other loanees. Bit of a no brainier really for a player who isn't first choice. 

• Like 4

Great opportunity for Charly to realise some of his potential. He does seem better suited to the Italian/Spanish leagues.

Personally I just don't seem him getting more minutes, he'll be back in the summer equally as frustrated with his playing time

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That amount of money probably pays for most of the backroom staff or most of our other loanees. Bit of a no brainier really for a player who isn't first choice. 

Nice of the club to loan off Charly to pay for Nathan’s next holiday 

200.gif?cid=e180674ajnbv1gppvn7rwnni0w83

Edited by SotonianWill

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

It's a no brainer for us because he hasn't ripped up this league like we thought he would and when playing has been giving the ball away far too much for our style. It's win-win for us because Alcaraz gets 6 months with a top Italian club who presumably pay all his wages and, if they want him after that they'll have to pay a premium of over 35 million - if not he returns next season with some useful experience under his belt. I doubt he'd be getting loads of game time for us based on his performances lately so would mainly have been warming the bench. Sensible business in my book.

Exactly. He's a luxury player in this league to be honest and realistically he'd only be starting to a handful of games if he stayed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I would have rather seen Aribo move on to be honest, but guess the demand for him is not there. 

Aribo suits our style more than Alacraz - he gives the ball away far less and is a lot stronger so I would disagree but this game is all about opinions of course.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep - I really see this as a sensible bit of buisness by the club. 

Not suited to the way in which we play. Hardly playing and when he has he's been dissapointing. Recouping c. half of what we paid for him in the loan fee alone with a significant option to buy. Ready made replacement in Rothwell, who's experienced at this level. All likeilhood he'll be back in the summer. 

There is no doubt in my mind that Charley is way more talented than anyone we currently have in midfield arguably the whole squad. He's brilliant, but its pointless keeping him around to sit on the bench frustrated. 

Really like the look of our squad at the minute. Mara out and a new striker in would seal the deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Seems like a logical 'win-win' move to me... 

He's getting limited match time this season so he he'll hopefully get more minutes under his belt in Serie A and come back a better player if/when we're back in the PL next season. 

Win win is where I am too. Now I like Charly, post relegation he was happy to stay and help us get promoted and he's had the odd game where he's been good such as his goal recently, but approximately €7 million for half a season on loan is a large amount of money for us. Add that on to the fact that we've been winning games perfectly well without him, and that he's not exactly 'lit up the Championship' in the way we all thought he would, then we'll be fine without him.

In addition we either get him back in the summer a little bit more experienced ready for our next campaign (in whichever league that is in),we get £40 million for him which is crazy money, or we sell him to someone else but they'll now know our terms.

While I'd love to have kept Charly for the run in (especially a run in that we may need a spark of inspiration from somewhere), this deal seems to make too much sense to be ignored. 

Would I be too greedy though if I said that because of this I want another striker? Charly was playing high up early in the season and our striking options now are AA, Che and Mara.

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Which one? There are several (allegedly).... ;)

I’m still laughing at this beauty from him :

Martin seems to prefer old cast off journeymen to raw young highly gifted players, which rather explodes the myth that he excels at developing players.

How anyone can say Flyn, THB and Brooks are journeymen lol Ezozie and SAA are in squad too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Do you think Martin or any other staff member could stop Alcaraz wanting to leave Championship Southampton for 36 x Serie A Champions and Italian giants, Juventus? Even if they wanted to.

This decision would have had nothing to do with Martin, of course he would want to keep our young gifted players.

Plus, its a loan, which if successful will bring us a much needed £35m. If it doesn't work out for him in the 6 months there (and we get promotion), he may well be back with us next season anyway.

The money, plus the players (understandable) desire to want the move, means we dont have much choice (especially Martin!)

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Do you think Martin or any other staff member could stop Alcaraz wanting to leave Championship Southampton for 36 x Serie A Champions and Italian giants, Juventus? Even if they wanted to.

This decision would have had nothing to do with Martin, of course he would want to keep our young gifted players.

Plus, its a loan, which if successful will bring us a much needed £35m. If it doesn't work out for him in the 6 months there (and we get promotion), he may well be back with us next season anyway.

The money, plus the players (understandable) desire to want the move, means we dont have much choice (especially Martin!)

Despite all the scandals in Italian football and the financial chaos there are still very few teams “bigger” than Juve.in World football.  And especially if yiu are from Argentina. Charlie will be made up and him and family proud as anything if it happens. I’d be proud of him too. Good lad. Fingers crossed he does well. I want to see him back at SMS as a FULL Argentinian international. Be ridiculous scenes if so.
When was the Last time we had a player for the current World Champions play for Saints? 🤓

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, saintant said:

Aribo suits our style more than Alacraz - he gives the ball away far less and is a lot stronger so I would disagree but this game is all about opinions of course.

Gutted , really gutted Charley is going but you’re right.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, manji said:

Ross Stewart won’t be ready until next season. Still have have high hopes for him.

Not sure - best part of 18 months out (potentially) stepping up to a level he's never played at. 

A real shame, if he'd stayed fit, I really reckon he'd have been siging of the season and we'd be in the top 2 right now. But he's not. 

• Like 2

Gutted about Alcaraz. Genuinely. 

But, a combination of him not getting in the side, struggling with the language & losing his spanish-speaking mates (Lyanco, Willy, Ruben etc), plus the lure of a big club - I understand it. 

But I'm still gutted.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, manji said:

He was our shining light last season, so I’m disappointed it’s not worked out in the Championship. Really thought he’d tear it up.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, manji said:

Ross Stewart won’t be ready until next season. Still have have high hopes for him.

I do as well, but if we are promoted this season he would have benefited massively from getting used to our style of play in the championship.  It would have helped him hit the ground running in the prem ala Lambert or Toney.  Of course, we may not get promoted....

Alcaraz will be back in the summer.  As others have said, no chance Juve meet the option price 

• Like 2

Gutted he’s going too, think he’s been a victim of too much competition in the squad more then him not being good enough, I’d have preferred to stick with playing him as a false 9 personally as players like him should be our future. 

I could see sulemana or edozie also getting miffed with lack of game time If we are not careful our squad becoming so stacked some are gonna suffer 

does seem weird to bring in rothwell in a position we where already stacked in only to let Charly go :(

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, manji said:

To get out of this league Rothwell and aribo are very good. But at EPL level they may be average EPL MF players. No disrespect intended still both very good players indeed. 

Charlie on the other hand can look out of sync & out of timing at this level - actually Very erratic sometimes- but I’m personally convinced at a higher level he will can and will be a difference maker. And those kind of players are rare as hens teeth. He could be our key man at EPL level. 
Secondment to Italy and unlocking tight disciplined defences for a dominant team could be best thing for him. 

• Like 2

Martin loves control in his team and unfortunately Alcaraz being a talented maverick he doesn’t really fit that mould, unless we’re chasing a game, which is something we’ve so rarely been doing in the last 3-4 months. 

• Like 1

I have a slightly cynical view on the whole Alcaraz thing.

So Rasmus our director of football has a brother who is the founder of a transfer platform called "transferRoom" We signed Alcaraz through the platform. They made quite a big thing at the time out of it and the signing was used massively to promote the platform. I believe it was the first transfer into the Premiership (at least from South America) done on the platform. We've since signed other players through the platform (which we have as a club now publicised as being thanks to TransferRoom. These to me are more than just footballing moves!!

The insinuation , particularly with Alcaraz, is that TransferRoom used Saints to advertise itself and position itself!

• Confused 1

On 18/01/2024 at 14:17, gio1saints said:

TBH I’m still a little perplexed at the implications of this signing. 

On first impression it’s a solid squad signing. But I’m still not convinced that’s all it means. I’m probably wrong but my radar is tingling..

It’s been in the works several weeks, apparently, according to Joe. 

The position he plays we already, arguably, have plenty strength in depth. He does not appear to have outstanding characteristics not already evident in current squad. 

That being the case, why is he here unless, I guess, there is an outgoing planned? And that outgoing is in the position Joe plays? 

Of the candidates:

Joe Aribo is at Afcon and on a big wage ( like Stu). He’s been hinted at elsewhere   on forum as a possible leaver but it’s hard to see that happening unless and until he gets back to UK - in which case it’s very last minute. He’d be my favourite to be the one going atm though ( IF anyone is outgoing that is) . 

Stu is prob leaving in six months - but would he be sold in this window if a good offer came in? The total absence of rumour is suspicious in itself given his status is exactly same as Che - for whom there’s loads of gossip. Second favourite for me to leave. 

Cant be Flynn. or Shea. 

Might be Will - but I very doubt Will would leave us having just got his mojo in the first team. 

Could be Charlie. Could be Charlie. Love Charlie but it could be him. I hopes not. please not. 

Anyhow, if nobody leaves it just means strength in depth for the last 19 plus cup games run in..hoping that’s what it is!

Bollix. Knew my Spidey sense was tingling. I’ve come around to the view that it in everyone’s best interests though so fingers crossed there are no more last minute surprises with our jewels…

• Like 1

Sorry to see Charley go, one of the few players at the club who had the potential to do something exciting. Look, we’re doing well blah blah but it’s nice to see a genuine flash of inspiration now and then which I believe he has that capability to provide.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, manji said:

He was our shining light last season, so I’m disappointed it’s not worked out in the Championship. Really thought he’d tear it up.

Also, he’d probably angle for a Juve move even if we were still in the Prem.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I have a slightly cynical view on the whole Alcaraz thing.

So Rasmus our director of football has a brother who is the founder of a transfer platform called "transferRoom" We signed Alcaraz through the platform. They made quite a big thing at the time out of it and the signing was used massively to promote the platform. I believe it was the first transfer into the Premiership (at least from South America) done on the platform. We've since signed other players through the platform (which we have as a club now publicised as being thanks to TransferRoom. These to me are more than just footballing moves!!

The insinuation , particularly with Alcaraz, is that TransferRoom used Saints to advertise itself and position itself!

Rasmus is now in charge of managing and securing new teams for SR. I’m fairly confident he will be kept away from any decision making involving our first team. That’s why Dragan ( not a man to be messed with ) admitted he took his eye of the ball last season and would be keeping a closer eye on our team.

• Like 2