Saints 2-1 West Brom - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Great result. No surprise they made us work hard for it but I think we restricted them to one chance on target if the stats are correct so we probably deserved to shade. it. Tough game out of the way with a weakened defence and we go into the break in a good place. Chance to give Stewart more time on the training ground. I think we go into an easier run of fixtures too plus both Leicester and Ipswich have stumbled lately. COYR!

• Like 1

Well done lads and well done RM. Been (very, after Leicester and Sunderland) critical of him but he is properly turning it round and showing the pragmatism and adaptability he didn’t seem capable of. Also seems like there’s a strong team spirit being built (which tbf he did always seem capable of).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Three points but far from a convincing performance.

They were always going to make this a tough game but they only had one effort on target which was their goal. Was never going to be an easy game and the 3 points are more important than the performance.

• Like 2

Fair play to the coaching team this season, with all these late goals we're showing excellent levels of fitness this season. With Ross now back from injury hopefully we can steer clear of any little niggles and have a really good Christmas period.

Massive win that, to not play that well second half but win is very satisfying. Just need to get out of this habit of going to sleep early second half, as well as going to sleep straight after we score, it’s when we’re at our weakest.

Great performances from THB, Bree and KWP. Big mention to Baz and Holgate who have suffered previously but both had solid games. Little bit closer to Leicester which is nice, and finally having a positive goal difference is good to see.

Looking forward to seeing what Stewart can do for us, looks a big lad and he got himself about the pitch in his short cameo.

• Like 1

Just now, Osvaldorama said:

Didn’t really get much of a chance, did some good defensive work and held the ball up a couple of times. He was playing weirdly deep as it was the end of the game. 

Yeah, I suspect he was brought on to add some height when defending corners and free-kicks more than anything.  Still every minute on the pitch is good for his come back from serious injury.

Great three points, but hard-earned. Some of that is credit to West Brom but some of it is self-inflicted. It's almost as though we go into some kind of mental or tactical "holding mode" after we've taken the lead, and we end up surrendering the initiative.

We were all anxious about our central defence options at the start of the season but, with Stephens due back soon, we now have four strong options back there.

I was disappointed to see Che coming on instead of Stewart because I'm dying to see a Stewart/AA partnership up front.

• Like 1

First half and second polar opposites. Downes, THB and Alcaraz were superb first half. Everyone was really, some of the play from us was crackin’. Knew that if we didn’t get a second that they’d have a good chance second half. 

They were by far the better team in the 2nd but we stayed strong and they didn’t create too much. A nice difference to Saints teams of old. Holgate was excellent all game, and thought Charles played quite well when he came on. 

Sulemana had a bit of a quiet game I thought, and wish Alcaraz would Be a bit braver at times but can’t complain we are lucky to have him at this level. His pass to SA for our goal was class. 

Yay yep ooh yeah. 

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 West Brom - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic