Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Such a miserable bunch on here.  Yes, that 2nd half was poor but we're now 9 unbeaten....we are not going to win every game and will lose some we are expected to win.

But this is a 46 game season, not a 17 game season.  We are doing well after the 4 losses on the bounce.

As ever people focus on the "lost" 2 points - does that mean as WBA are obviously now a world class outfit that we "won" 3 points as surely WBA should have beaten us. DItto Leeds.

Get a life for goodness sake

• Like 10
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I appreciate the sentiment but is that really good news? Makes the 2 points dropped today even harder to take for me.

Of course it is.

Also backs up the fact that we beat a really good West Brom team last week. It's a season and we're absolutely in that battle for the 2nd spot with Leeds, Ipswich and WBA.

• Like 1

Saints team and fans seemed to turn up with the mentality of expecting a win. Fans were flat, with a flat celebration for the goal. The team were even more laboured than normal, seemed like they wanted to bore the opposition into defeat. Their goal was coming as they pressured us more and more and we continued to try and play out from the back. Still unsure how their goal went it. Not a great watch that. 

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7421.jpeg

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

Just got back from this :

1. had terrible seats so couldn’t really make out much in the other half.

2. first half the possession was far too slow and ponderous. the bloke next to me said at 30 mins we were ‘sleep walking into half time’. It’s was very low risk football and frankly dull to watch.  there were so many times when fraser in particular checked his run and we seem reluctant to put it in the box unless it’s part of some very intricate passing movement.  We never built up any momentum and our goal was a bit of a surprise to me when it came.

3. thought the defence looked very solid in the first half from my vantage point. never really in trouble. couldn’t really speak for the second half given my seat position. 

4. the second half was a bit of a mess really. edozie didn’t add much and not sure why Bree was taken off. They kept throwing in crosses and in the end one came off. the edozie and manning substitutions seemed like change for changes sake to me but perhaps there was some injury. 

4. You can’t win every game but that was a game where particularly in the first half had we gone for it I think we would have won it. We were so ponderous/ boring.

5. Finally i don’t know if anyone was sat in the seats towards the bottom next to the huddersfield fans. there was a teenage lad who for the last hour continually shouted ‘soft c*nt’ at some saints fans. the adjacent stewards did nothing  to check his behaviour and they were then surprised when it all kicked off at the end. at least this provided some distraction…..

3 hours ago, woksaintly said:

It was Bazunas fault. The ball went over Bednarek's head so he should have had that covered

It should have been stopped by defence. They were a different team after half time. As some else said we need to kill games off before sitting back. More goals and quicker momentum until we have a larger goal margin 

14 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Saints team and fans seemed to turn up with the mentality of expecting a win. Fans were flat, with a flat celebration for the goal. The team were even more laboured than normal, seemed like they wanted to bore the opposition into defeat. Their goal was coming as they pressured us more and more and we continued to try and play out from the back. Still unsure how their goal went it. Not a great watch that. 

IMG_7425.jpeg

IMG_7421.jpeg

That's twice today I've been left disappointed by someone called Russell...

30 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Such a miserable bunch on here.  Yes, that 2nd half was poor but we're now 9 unbeaten....we are not going to win every game and will lose some we are expected to win.

But this is a 46 game season, not a 17 game season.  We are doing well after the 4 losses on the bounce.

As ever people focus on the "lost" 2 points - does that mean as WBA are obviously now a world class outfit that we "won" 3 points as surely WBA should have beaten us. DItto Leeds.

Get a life for goodness sake

The miserable bunch in my opinion are the fans that are content with that exact type of game today & have been for the last 2 plus seasons - tippy tappy slow boring football. 

Yes, okay we have gone X amount of games unbeaten - so bloody what!  If we go unbeaten for the next 10 games playing that way -my guess is those games won’t be entertaining/enjoyable & will no doubt involve more luck & late winners. 

When are we give a team a battering & be convincing with a win? 

Maybe I expect too much 

For me at the moment it’s finding different solutions in the final 3rd - which again is nothing new - which is the most frustrating thing 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maggie May said:

I’ve been saying it for almost a year - Sulemana is a very average footballer. His stats return for how much we paid is embarrassing, especially considering half of that has been in the second tier. 

He needs to improve.  Is totally anonymous in too many games.  He seems like a bit of a sulker as well.  
So frustrating, because when he gets a run on the full-back they can’t live with him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnS said:

The miserable bunch in my opinion are the fans that are content with that exact type of game today & have been for the last 2 plus seasons - tippy tappy slow boring football. 

Yes, okay we have gone X amount of games unbeaten - so bloody what!  If we go unbeaten for the next 10 games playing that way -my guess is those games won’t be entertaining/enjoyable & will no doubt involve more luck & late winners. 

When are we give a team a battering & be convincing with a win? 

Maybe I expect too much 

For me at the moment it’s finding different solutions in the final 3rd - which again is nothing new - which is the most frustrating thing 

Don’t worry John.  When the Loch Ness Drogba starts and Adam Armstrong plays wide of him we are going to tear this fucking league a new one.  Starting on Wednesday against those fucking carrot crunching cunts from Bristol.

• Like 2

Why do we not have a passive boasting “just back from the game thread” anymore? A great way to boast that you’d been to the game and express your superiority as fan in a passive aggressive way, especially if you’re the one who started the thread.

anyway, what a load of shit. Aside from a brief spell before the goal I thought we were passive, slow, sloppy and never got out of first gear. Huddersfield we’re dreadful and we were our own worst enemies handing them a way back into the game with careless play, constantly giving the ball away cheaply, the equaliser was inevitable and everyone around us saw it coming, brought it all on ourselves. Teams really don’t have to worry about being caught on the counter attack by us do they. What’s the point of 3 quick strikers when all we do it play if sideways and backwards letting them get back into shape with 10 men behind the ball when we could get it wide to Fraser and Sully and stretch them?

one of the highlights for me was Huddersfield’s centre forward being outpaced be Bednarek something I never thought I’d see. 

decent turnout by the fans numbers wise but that fucking song about fratton park is falling down Westwood is fucking clown, gets very dull after the 50th rendition. Nice to catch up with some old faces anyway

We will be hard pushed to play a worse team or a more disillusioned fan base, there were silent for 90 minutes and the few Huddersfield fans who were brave enough or not awe struck to speak to the DEF when we took their pub were predicting heavy losses for them. We someone managed to draw a game we should have won comfortably. The unbeaten run continues but a big chance to close the gap on Ipswich thrown away 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 4

Went the game and after the second half performance thought we were lucky to get a draw in the end.They seem to have some good chances in the second half.

Also I hate to be there if it's pouring with rain as the refreshments area is all in the open air.

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Probably won't be seeing Sule start on Wednesday. Martin sounded pretty hacked off with him.

Understandably.   Yet, he (Sulemana) and Stu were both the most likely players to produce a creative threat - when they were replaced, there was little for the Huddersfield defence to worry about.   No Alcaraz only compounded the problem.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Disgraceful performance. No passion, no leadership, no creativity, no energy, no plan, no effort. No idea!

Apart from that it went quite well! 

Automatic promo? You're having a laugh. More days like this and we won't make the play-offs.

It was an away point in a tough league? I’m not really sure how getting points away from home means we will miss the playoffs? 

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

Just got back from this :

1. had terrible seats so couldn’t really make out much in the other half.

2. first half the possession was far too slow and ponderous. the bloke next to me said at 30 mins we were ‘sleep walking into half time’. It’s was very low risk football and frankly dull to watch.  there were so many times when fraser in particular checked his run and we seem reluctant to put it in the box unless it’s part of some very intricate passing movement.  We never built up any momentum and our goal was a bit of a surprise to me when it came.

3. thought the defence looked very solid in the first half from my vantage point. never really in trouble. couldn’t really speak for the second half given my seat position. 

4. the second half was a bit of a mess really. edozie didn’t add much and not sure why Bree was taken off. They kept throwing in crosses and in the end one came off. the edozie and manning substitutions seemed like change for changes sake to me but perhaps there was some injury. 

4. You can’t win every game but that was a game where particularly in the first half had we gone for it I think we would have won it. We were so ponderous/ boring.

5. Finally i don’t know if anyone was sat in the seats towards the bottom next to the huddersfield fans. there was a teenage lad who for the last hour continually shouted ‘soft c*nt’ at some saints fans. the adjacent stewards did nothing  to check his behaviour and they were then surprised when it all kicked off at the end. at least this provided some distraction…..

I was row C on the end next to the Huddersfield fans, didn't hear that above the usual taunting. Left at the final whistle and didn't see anything kick off. The police guy alongside us just watched the game!! Hardly looked at us or the the home fans!

Just got back from the game and not wanting to be a negative Nancy, but it was poor;

- That possession football first half was boring and hardly got the fans going. Seemed we had 78% possession, but we didn't seem likely to score. It was a dull game for supporters of both teams.

- God knows what happens at our half time talks - 'Hey lads, go easy on them, I know its boring out there so let them have the ball a bit'. I've never known such chalk and cheese. Seems to be most games. Why can't we fix this problem?

- After the equaliser we picked up the pace. But too little too late. It's not as if this hasn't happened before.

- I don't see this team challenging for 2nd. The style of possesion play lacks flair and flexibility. It'll fail as often as it works. Winners have more tools in their toolbox. There's just too much amiss. Playoffs- let's hope can eek it out to stay in the top 6.

- Huddersfield were generally dire, which makes the draw really painful. They fluffed a few gilt edged chances. Far more than we did. I'd argue we were lucky to get a draw. 

- I said a few weeks ago we've had a good run of last minute winners and equalisers but that luck won't run forever. 

- But to be positive, some good signings and departures in January with some tactical improvements and we could capitalise on this fortunate first half of the season.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Disgraceful performance. No passion, no leadership, no creativity, no energy, no plan, no effort. No idea!

Apart from that it went quite well! 

Automatic promo? You're having a laugh. More days like this and we won't make the play-offs.

Screenshot_20231125-224310.png

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Why do we not have a passive boasting “just back from the game thread” anymore? A great way to boast that you’d been to the game and express your superiority as fan in a passive aggressive way, especially if you’re the one who started the thread.

anyway, what a load of shit. Aside from a brief spell before the goal I thought we were passive, slow, sloppy and never got out of first gear. Huddersfield we’re dreadful and we were our own worst enemies handing them a way back into the game with careless play, constantly giving the ball away cheaply, the equaliser was inevitable and everyone around us saw it coming, brought it all on ourselves. Teams really don’t have to worry about being caught on the counter attack by us do they. What’s the point of 3 quick strikers when all we do it play if sideways and backwards letting them get back into shape with 10 men behind the ball when we could get it wide to Fraser and Sully and stretch them?

one of the highlights for me was Huddersfield’s centre forward being outpaced be Bednarek something I never thought I’d see. 

decent turnout by the fans numbers wise but that fucking song about fratton park is falling down Westwood is fucking clown, gets very dull after the 50th rendition. Nice to catch up with some old faces anyway

We will be hard pushed to play a worse team or a more disillusioned fan base, there were silent for 90 minutes and the few Huddersfield fans who were brave enough or not awe struck to speak to the DEF when we took their pub were predicting heavy losses for them. We someone managed to draw a game we should have won comfortably. The unbeaten run continues but a big chance to close the gap on Ipswich thrown away 

Turkish, don't know what your DEF is or the ABC or the GHI but the police seemingly got wind of you being there because I haven't seen such a large police presence (as opposed to stewards) for ages 🙂.

People complaining about the view. Even directly behind the goal we couldn't quite work out how we scored. That tiny bog was also a joke. 

As to the football, we seem to have real problems breaking down teams set up to defend. Sulemana should have been getting to the byline instead of poncing about doing nothing; the set piece coach needs to earn his corn because we're resorting to short corners and free kicks don't show any thought/flair; and only Downes seemed to come away with much credit in the bank today. Lacklustre display and devoid of ideas today. At least there won't be many two week breaks for a while.

• Like 1

We are 4th IN-SPITE of RM. If we had a decent manager who played to our squads strengths we would be higher. Yes we are 9 games unbeaten, but two of those draws were against bottom 4 sides, games a top 2 side would win. I said at the start of the season we will finish 9th. Indeed, I may be wrong, we may well be top 6, but we will not go up. I also predict within 2 years from now we will have dropped this possession football stuff and gone back to a more traditional style.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Meh.

I went into this 3 game period hoping for 9 points but expecting 7, safe in the knowledge there’d be a slip-up of sorts. 2 wins now needed and eminently possible. Games like yesterday will happen a few times over the season; I’m not concerned. Games like Sunderland, Leicester, Boro, Ipswich, Gillingham and even QPR and Norwich concerned me in various ways, but not this. Not apart from the fact we can’t score as many as we should, but not buying a competent (fit) striker for 2.5 years is not Martins fault. 
Take the point and move on and hope to have a great rest of the week.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Another game where we controlled much of the possession, but had no-one clinical enough to finish off those missed chances .

We looked commanding but must find ways to get more shots on goal.  Thank goodness for Arma's finishing qualities in getting a goal out of almost nothing.

IF..  we fail to get promotion we can look back on... this game... .and the home game v Rotherham ... as  4 points lost... to two struggling bottom-end sides.

Having won points off most of the clubs around us,  we are now back to dropping them against  "no-hopers" .  

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Course you wouldn't...

3rd, 9 unbeaten, 6 of them wins. Good teams drop points against lesser teams. It happens. Leeds are 2 (TWO) points ahead of us and their manager is doing an incredible job and can do no wrong in their fans eyes.

We have scraped a lot of wins and draws recently we didn’t especially deserve. I’ve enjoyed the ride, but I think it’s just as likely yesterday will be the start of a period of more mediocrity. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We have scraped a lot of wins and draws recently we didn’t especially deserve. I’ve enjoyed the ride, but I think it’s just as likely yesterday will be the start of a period of more mediocrity. 

With our set of favourable fixtures this should not be the case, as long as we approach them all with the attitude that EVERY game is tough. Also can we please only play out from the back when it is appropriate to do so. I’m all for playing football, but there is a time to get rid. 

• Like 3

Our idea of possession control makes sense, but we need to mix it up with more direct through balls and pacey runs every now and again. It's too predictable sometimes and allows teams to get men back, and then conversely it allows teams to counter attack us with pace down the flanks. Their goal was a bit naff, but we'd had plenty of warnings. Their free header, for example, which should have been a goal.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Our idea of possession control makes sense, but we need to mix it up with more direct through balls and pacey runs every now and again.

I'm getting the impression that Martin does "mix it up" when things aren't going so well but 'reverts to type' once the ship has been steadied... For example, it took the 4 dire performances in September to convince Martin to adjust his approach for the Leeds game and, lo and behold, we had one of our best performances of the season... As such, whilst we're on an unbeaten run (albeit without commanding performances), he'll be happy to stick with the more trademark cautious approach I would imagine...

Edited by trousers

25 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm getting the impression that Martin does "mix it up" when things aren't going so well but 'reverts to type' once the ship has been steadied... For example, it took the 4 dire performances in September to convince Martin to adjust his approach for the Leeds game and, lo and behold, we had one of our best performances of the season... As such, whilst we're on an unbeaten run (albeit without commanding performances), he'll be happy to stick with the more trademark cautious approach I would imagine...

Not just an impression. I’m pretty sure he actually said that’s exactly what he’d do when he “needed to”. He’s very much wedded to Russball, so we are stuck with unfortunately. 

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Not just an impression. I’m pretty sure he actually said that’s exactly what he’d do when he “needed to”. He’s very much wedded to Russball, so we are stuck with unfortunately. 

And it's the "mixing things up" reactivity (rather than proactively) approach that is the difference between a top 2 team and a playoff team...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Fratton Park is falling down

John Westwood’s a f****** clown

In league one for 10 more years

Southampton boys are on the beers

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Dreadful, it’s as if someone asked an AI bot to write a naff, clichéd, chavy Pompey song.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Jesus wept.

In another example of Saints’ originality it’s just a copy of the one Man City have started singing this season. “Old Trafford is falling down, Ten Haag is a fucking clown, Glazers here for ten more years, Man City are on the beers”.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Fratton Park is falling down

John Westwood’s a f****** clown

In league one for 10 more years

Southampton boys are on the beers

Must have heard this sung about 50 times yesterday, in the queue to get in about 10 times then over and over again. The people doing it acted like it was the most crazy and hilarious thing they’d ever been involved in. Once or twice fair enough even though it’s shit, but over and over again FFS

14 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

He needs to improve.  Is totally anonymous in too many games.  He seems like a bit of a sulker as well.  
So frustrating, because when he gets a run on the full-back they can’t live with him.

Yea I';d agree with this. Yet to complete a full game for us this season (the most he's played is 76mins). He is very frustrating.

13 hours ago, Dragon_man said:

Just got back from the game and not wanting to be a negative Nancy, but it was poor;

- That possession football first half was boring and hardly got the fans going. Seemed we had 78% possession, but we didn't seem likely to score. It was a dull game for supporters of both teams.

- God knows what happens at our half time talks - 'Hey lads, go easy on them, I know its boring out there so let them have the ball a bit'. I've never known such chalk and cheese. Seems to be most games. Why can't we fix this problem?

- After the equaliser we picked up the pace. But too little too late. It's not as if this hasn't happened before.

- I don't see this team challenging for 2nd. The style of possesion play lacks flair and flexibility. It'll fail as often as it works. Winners have more tools in their toolbox. There's just too much amiss. Playoffs- let's hope can eek it out to stay in the top 6.

- Huddersfield were generally dire, which makes the draw really painful. They fluffed a few gilt edged chances. Far more than we did. I'd argue we were lucky to get a draw. 

- I said a few weeks ago we've had a good run of last minute winners and equalisers but that luck won't run forever. 

- But to be positive, some good signings and departures in January with some tactical improvements and we could capitalise on this fortunate first half of the season.

In what positions would you see us making or needing signings?

We need to sign a competent natural left back. Matt Targett on loan if fit? a possibility. I see Liveramento is playing left back for Newcastle. Bree is ok but Manning is a weak link. What the hell Martin sees in him, I can't see. It's no good bemoaning the lack of clean sheets. The obsessive playing out from the back whatever the circumstances is just an accident waiting to happen. Then bringing on Manning to back up the dozy Edozie defies logic. Add to that taking off S.Armstrong who was playing well in that triangle and bringing on Charles playing as he did left a bloody great hole down our left hand side.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, derry said:

We need to sign a competent natural left back. Matt Targett on loan if fit? a possibility. I see Liveramento is playing left back for Newcastle. Bree is ok but Manning is a weak link. What the hell Martin sees in him, I can't see. It's no good bemoaning the lack of clean sheets. The obsessive playing out from the back whatever the circumstances is just an accident waiting to happen. Then bringing on Manning to back up the dozy Edozie defies logic. Add to that taking off S.Armstrong who was playing well in that triangle and bringing on Charles playing as he did left a bloody great hole down our left hand side.  

I agree with you on the left back area, it's one of our weakest positions as well as cover in CM imo.

Manning is just inept, he really is not up to it at all. I have no idea how he performed like he did at Swansea as he looks like a fish out of water trying to do the same here. In every game he's played he just looks painfully out of his depth. Bree isn't even a LB but we look much better with him there.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, trousers said:

Screenshot_20231125-224310.png

For fairness and balance you could also have quoted my Thursday post…………...

"Now that we are getting used to winning again let's hope complacency doesn't set in. We have to be in this for the long haul as there is no sign of the three above us faltering. It's a must win but we're still not convincing enough in our performances to guarantee it. I fear a 1-1 draw is on the cards also with the disruption caused by players' being away on national duties"

Edited by Charlie Wayman