Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread

Lighthouse

13 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

No doubting his finishing but he's not a big presence up front. We need Ross fit and firing. Martin hasn't been given the tools that Adkins was

Oh sorry but Martin has been given at least as much as Adkin’s but he hasn’t used the tools in his box to his advantage.

Adkins was far more astute in the transfer market that is all… 

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I don't disagree on that. But fans shouldn't be expecting him to be some wonder finisher -  and i just can't see Martin playing to his aerial threat (sadly).

RM quoted as saying that he has tried to sign Ross Stewart for every team he has managed... you'd hope that he would know the LND's game thoroughly at this point.

Just now, Patches O Houlihan said:

RM quoted as saying that he has tried to sign Ross Stewart for every team he has managed... you'd hope that he would know the LND's game thoroughly at this point.

he also absolutely loves Ryan Manning, so the jury is still out on his ability to spot a good player 

• Like 1

Alcaraz way better in the 10 second half, absolutely dominant but just so frustrating to create so little throughout the game.

Also fucking embarrassing with “we’re the Northam” at 1-0, how about a song for KWP? Or anyone else other than Bazunu/Aribo? Shite support again

Hope Stewart is okay, Che and Arma pretty useless

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Alcaraz way better in the 10 second half, absolutely dominant but just so frustrating to create so little throughout the game.

Also fucking embarrassing with “we’re the Northam” at 1-0, how about a song for KWP? Or anyone else other than Bazunu/Aribo? Shite support again

Hope Stewart is okay, Che and Arma pretty useless

I dunno what KWP has to do to get the crowd singing his name. I bloody love the guy but he probably feels under appreciated.

Much better second half after a dreadful first half, played some good football in tight spaces. Just lacking that finishing touch.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

Our goal difference in the league is still 2, whilst all those around us are in double figures. 

We are stinking the top 6 out. Hopefully we can turn some of these grinds into solid victories soon. 

We won't. The style is dire, and we're scraping wins. Don't get me wrong, I'll take the 3 points gladly, but by god this football makes watching a Puel team feel like watching prime Barcelona. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I dunno what KWP has to do to get the crowd singing his name. I bloody love the guy but he probably feels under appreciated.

Much better second half after a dreadful first half, played some good football in tight spaces. Just lacking that finishing touch.

It’s crazy isn’t it? Can’t believe a lazy “one Walker Peters” hasn’t broken out or anything 

Nobody in our entire squad more deserving of the ovation 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

The issue is in that 10 we have only gained 2pts on Leicester and Leeds and 3pts on Ipswich. 
We have needed it to keep pace, all 4 teams are in great form.

If the top 6 all continue their current form to the rest of the season then they'll have the following points:

Leicester 110
Ipswich 104
Leeds 97
Saints 96
WBA 94
Hull 89

Won't happen obviously

30 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

That's exactly what we need! Someone to find a yard in the box, get on the end of a cross and score a tap in

There was a cross from Adam Armstrong near the end of the first half which flew straight across the 6 yard box which is the type you'd hope he'd get on the end of. 

Adams meanwhile stood there on his heels with zero anticipation and watched as the ball went to the exact place he should have been moving to.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

The issue is in that 10 we have only gained 2pts on Leicester and Leeds and 3pts on Ipswich. 

Good news that we've played all three already though along with West brom. I'm fact we've played almost all the teams at the top of the table. Bodes well and hopefully some of the form teams can take a few points off each other. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It’s crazy isn’t it? Can’t believe a lazy “one Walker Peters” hasn’t broken out or anything 

I tried to get do do do Kyle Walker-Peters going but felt like an idiot when no-one joined in.

We hardly have any player songs any more, it's crap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Why do we look so toothless when taking corners? I always worry that we look more in more danger of conceding than scoring from them.

Couldn't agree more, we look very vulnerable from our own corners. 

12 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Our goal difference in the league is still 2, whilst all those around us are in double figures. 

We are stinking the top 6 out. Hopefully we can turn some of these grinds into solid victories soon. 

Last week Preston were in the playoff positions with a negative goal difference. They’re currently 8th with a -6 goal difference. Just a minor benchmark, you can be pretty average in this league and still do alright.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Just seen that Ipswich has Leeds and Leicester either side of Christmas back to back. If we can keep pace with all of those teams then that period is crucial. Win and we will be making up ground on some of them. 

I think if we keep pace, our crucial period will be all of March going into 1 April 24, tough period where we need to take points off of the big teams.  IF we are still up with them. 

14 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

We just need to worry about ourselves. This weekend WBA play Leicester and Leeds play Middlesboro, but it wont matter if we cant beat Cardiff. Similarly Ipswich start a run to mid Jan soon where they play Leicester (twice), Leeds, Middlesboro, Sunderland as well as away games vs Watford and Stoke. Our run of games during that time are much more favourable, but we need to get the points on the board

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

fucking embarrassing with “we’re the Northam” at 1-0, how about a song for KWP?

14 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

11 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Back in the 70s Everton used to belt out…

”We all agree, Duncan MacKenzie is magic” 

it got most of their crowd involved - Kyle Walker Peters would slot in there OK - bit of a struggle trying to fit that mouthful into a chant!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Feck me.   What a defensive, irritable interview from Martin!    He's obviously got some prior issue with Blackmore whose questions were fair and encouraging, yet were cut off,  misinterpreted and shut down.       RM needs to re-read his Buddhist mantras and take a few deep breaths.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Particularly compared to that pathetic Pompey song

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Absolutely weird interview that, he normally comes across well but he was an absolute bellend from start to finish over some completely uncontroversial questions.

Bellend don’t be a twat. He’s only human. He’s probably thinking the same as us . Frustrated we aren’t hammering teams although he did touch on that.

He gives a shit   That’s good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bazunu man of the match, didn't think I'd be saying that. The first half is lost without him. Other than that, still pretty boring wins and still feels like we're winning because we have a better eleven and players capable of what KWP produced today, rather than putting the opposition to the sword with our play.

• Like 2

Just now, manji said:

Bellend don’t be a twat. He’s only human. He’s probably thinking the same as us . Frustrated we aren’t hammering teams although he did touch on that.

If you listen to that interview and want to jump to his defence then that’s a worry. It was completely out of order. He needs to apologise next time he speaks to Adam B.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Why do we look so toothless when taking corners? I always worry that we look more in more danger of conceding than scoring from them.

It is so pointless cheering when we win a corner. Can believe any optimism remains

RM- if we’d scored 4 or 5 everyone would be saying how great we were. Yes, Russell. They would. The only issue with that is the fact we didn’t. He wants praise for things that haven’t happened. I’ve got one of my own- If we had won all of our games, people would be saying we are amazing. 😂 Yes. Yes they would. But we haven’t.

Arrogance is very touchy it seems.

• Like 1

Interview smacks of paranoia. The first half performance was awful and we were lucky not to be 2 down. Second half better as we had one moment of quality. Overall it was till painful to watch as the mantra is still pass not attack. Yes we won but there is an emerging pattern of underperforming playerts hamstrung by pqassive passing at all costs. Adventure?? Risk ? Just bore the pants of fans. I do not think that I am not alone in that I want Saints to win every game but prefer to wqatch other teams play football

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Absolutely weird interview that, he normally comes across well but he was an absolute bellend from start to finish over some completely uncontroversial questions.

I wander if he's under a bit of pressure from within. Huddersfield was a shocker, Preston a late/lucky draw, and everything around it has been turgid and uncomfortable. Our form is brilliant points wise, but it's uncomfortable/squeeky bum viewing. 

21 minutes ago, manji said:

He was asked some very normal questions and he answered them like an absolute prat. Basically tried to belittle the interviewer from the very start, and he didn’t even get anything close to a difficult question. Twat.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Bazunu man of the match, didn't think I'd be saying that. The first half is lost without him. Other than that, still pretty boring wins and still feels like we're winning because we have a better eleven and players capable of what KWP produced today, rather than putting the opposition to the sword with our play.

I effectively wrote this exact paragraph and then saw yours. Unbeaten in 10 and yet we still aren't clicking, particularly in attack, and it was Baz that came up with a couple big saves today to keep us in it before our best player hands down won us the game. From right back. I'll take crappy wins for the rest of the season as long as we keep picking up 3 points (though it won't be good for the heart) but as it showed against Huddersfield and Rotherham, if we don't kill games off it could cost us. I just hope that when we get Ross back he clicks quickly because Adams isn't offering much right now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woksaintly said:

Interview smacks of paranoia. The first half performance was awful and we were lucky not to be 2 down. Second half better as we had one moment of quality. Overall it was till painful to watch as the mantra is still pass not attack. Yes we won but there is an emerging pattern of underperforming playerts hamstrung by pqassive passing at all costs. Adventure?? Risk ? Just bore the pants of fans. I do not think that I am not alone in that I want Saints to win every game but prefer to wqatch other teams play football

Spot on. It's just so dull to watch. I've got tickets to the next three aways and I just can't get excited. 

True though, it is grinding out the points. When I look at the last 10 matches table I think 'how the fuck ...'

We all know it won't last. It'll be a miracle if this is enough to see us promoted.

• Like 4