QPR 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

It feels like our season is now well and truly back on the high-speed track and, having dismissed our prospects of auto-promotion only a few weeks ago, I'm now starting to feel that it's not beyond the realms of reeasonable possibility! Great to have the good old optimistic Trousers of yore back just in time for the season of goodwill! :)

Same starting line up as vs Blackburn please Mr Martin

QPR 1 Saints 3

Merry Christmas one and all!

No photo description available.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 8

This one got banana skin written all over it. They've had a bit of a resurgence recently and we're less than convincing away from home.

That said we should 100% be aiming to win this one and with Ipswich playing Leeds and Leicester over Xmas it could be a huge 3 points.

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Haha 2

Hopefully we can put behind us our recent habit of drawing 1-1 away to shit teams and pick up 3 points. If we do want automatic promotion, this is a game we have to win. Hopefully buoyed by the news that one of Ipswich and Leeds will definitely drop points before we kick off so 3 points may equal 3rd place or 3 points closer to automatics.

2 hours ago, waylander said:

QPR failed to beat 10 man Plymouth in their last home game. We should be winning this one.

And they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at Hillsborough on Saturday as well. 

They had a couple of decent results before that, but I don't think they are likely to really threaten us. 

It's a game we should win on paper, so I'm going for another frustrating 1-1 after we dominate possession in the first half and then concede a soft goal in the second.

Makes sense to keep an unchanged side after such a performance, but with 4 games in 9 days there’ll be some rotation required at some stage.

with that in mind I wouldn’t be distraught to see one or two different personnel - hopefully the likes of Shea or Charlie, rather than Ryan!

Boss who’s an R’s fan is dragging me, and his mate, along with him to sit on my hands - then out for some grub after.

Bizarrely I have seen more of QPR with my own mince pies than Saints this season. Saw them at SMS in August, then he asked me along when his mate was ill, where I witnessed their first home win since March (?) - glad I did as the 3rd goal was a superb display of singular sheer bloody mindedness and belligerence that bamboozled a defender so much that he sliced into his own net.

Do what we do well and we will be fine, fanny about and the Boss might be delving further down the wine list later!

They lost to Wednesday (who like QPR are improving) in the last game but before that they got 10 points in 4 games. QPR should not be underestimated and I do think our unbeaten run will end soon, we're due some bad luck somewhere...

...but I don't think it will be here. The likes of Aribo have come in recently and shown they can do a job and, just maybe, scoring 4 at Blackburn may give the lads the confidence to score some more goals. 1-3 Saints but it's a tough place to go.

21 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

This one got banana skin written all over it. They've had a bit of a resurgence recently and we're less than convincing away from home.

That said we should 100% be aiming to win this one and with Ipswich playing Leeds and Leicester over Xmas it could be a huge 3 points.

Every game is a banana skin to some on here🙄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

3-0 QPR

One for Paul Parker

Two for Les Ferdinand

Bloody hell thats a couple of names from the past

Memories of QPR

Obviously the plastic pitch

QPRs Guinness Kit in the mid 80s was one of the best kits i remember as a kid

Losing 4-0 on the plastic pitch there the season we finished second

Peter Hucker was their keeper at the time, thinking it was truly hilarious to say his name really loud as it sounded like Peter Fucker

Terry Fenwick, Simon Stainrod other very good players from that team

I remember them being 4-0 down at home in a game when i was a kid and drawing it 5-5

Us selling Colin Clarke to them for £800k as Clarke had said he wanted to join a bigger club

Having a cup game in the mid 80s that went to a third reply i think, something kids of today would not be able to comprehend

QPRs mob being in the Milton for a night game when i was about 8 or 9.

Clubs like us, QPR, Leicester and Coventry are about as similar as you can get back in those days. 

Queens Park Rangers 1985-86 Home Kit

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

They have the second worst home record in the division, so most would say away banker. And let's be honest, it should be. But once again, it is only a matter of waiting until we see the line up and style of play/tactics. We have been keeping clean sheets of late and conceding far fewer in general. Think we will need to score 2 to win this one, and will indeed thus go for QPR 1 - 2 Saints.

QP Rangers 10 2 3 5 10 16 -6 9
  • Like 1

2-0 Saints and comfortable, Leeds and Ipswich draw 0-0 which puts us third and eight points from second.  

Bollocks to Michael Gove, Louis Theroux and the rest of the Shepherd's Bush massive.  If you need an indicator of how shit QPR are, their chairman is Lee Hoos...  

• Like 1

My first ever Saints game was when we beat QPR 5-1 at The Dell on the opening day of the 1986-87 season. Colin Clarke scored a hat-trick on his debut for us and instantly became my hero. Nick Holmes and Danny Wallace also got one each. They had a young David Seaman in goal. 

So in honour of that, we're going to win 5-1. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Bloody hell thats a couple of names from the past

Memories of QPR

Obviously the plastic pitch

QPRs Guinness Kit in the mid 80s was one of the best kits i remember as a kid

Losing 4-0 on the plastic pitch there the season we finished second

Peter Hucker was their keeper at the time, thinking it was truly hilarious to say his name really loud as it sounded like Peter Fucker

Terry Fenwick, Simon Stainrod other very good players from that team

I remember them being 4-0 down at home in a game when i was a kid and drawing it 5-5

Us selling Colin Clarke to them for £800k as Clarke had said he wanted to join a bigger club

Having a cup game in the mid 80s that went to a third reply i think, something kids of today would not be able to comprehend

QPRs mob being in the Milton for a night game when i was about 8 or 9.

Clubs like us, QPR, Leicester and Coventry are about as similar as you can get back in those days. 

Queens Park Rangers 1985-86 Home Kit

That is a classic kit, I've always quite liked Loftus Road, not changed really since the 80s, I remember a brilliant 4-1 away win there in the 89/90 season would be good to see another performance like that. 

Also remember thousands of Saints going there for England B v Russia B in 1998. 

Edited by JRM

8 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

2-0 Saints and comfortable, Leeds and Ipswich draw 0-0 which puts us third and eight points from second.  

Bollocks to Michael Gove, Louis Theroux and the rest of the Shepherd's Bush massive.  If you need an indicator of how shit QPR are, their chairman is Lee Hoos...  

He's as popular there as he was here

21 minutes ago, JRM said:

That is a classic kit, I've always quite liked Loftus Road, not changed really since the 80s, I remember a brilliant 4-1 away win there in the 89/90 season would be good to see another performance like that. 

Also remember thousands of Saints going there for England B v Russia B in 1998. 

That was a great season, we won 4-1 at loftus road then beat Liverpool 4-1 at the Dell the week after in what is still probably the best Saints performance I’ve ever seen. 

I also remember them beating us 4-1 at the Dell around that time. We were all over them and they had four shots at goal and scored 4 times. 

Last time I went there I was in the home end behind the goal when Jason Dodd equalised with a screamer in the last minute (I think it ended 2-2) !

I jumped up as everyone else stayed silent and a steward politely asked me to leave (for my own safety) which I did as there was only a minute or so left !

Hoping for better on Saturday !!

Last time I went to Loftus Road was 89. Hopefully same result this Saturday when I go back.

4-1 away win with goals from Shearer, Wallace (2) and Le Tissier. We then beat Liverpool 4-1 at home the next week. 

What a team that was.

Flowers, Dodd, Benali, Osman, Ruddock, Case, Cockerill, Le Tissier, Rideout, Shearer, Wallace

comments

Edited by millsy
  • Like 2

It seems like ages since we played them last? Assume it was the season they went down from the premier league, 2011 was it? They beat us 2-1 at St Marys though, Pochetino had not long been manager. They had that made approach to signing players, signed about 18 players that summer. Didn't Hughes get sacked at the start of the season?

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, millsy said:

Last time I went to Loftus Road was 89. Hopefully same result this Saturday when I go back.

4-1 away win with goals from Shearer, Wallace (2) and Le Tissier. We then beat Liverpool 4-1 at home the next week. 

What a team that was.

Flowers, Dodd, Benali, Osman, Ruddock, Case, Cockerill, Le Tissier, Rideout, Shearer, Wallace

comments

Wasn't that Dodd's first start for us?

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It seems like ages since we played them last? Assume it was the season they went down from the premier league, 2011 was it? They beat us 2-1 at St Marys though, Pochetino had not long been manager. They had that made approach to signing players, signed about 18 players that summer. Didn't Hughes get sacked at the start of the season?

It was 2015 when we were last in the same league. We won 1-0 there, Mane scored right at the end.

• Lighthouse changed the title to QPR 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic