QPR 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

4 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Pretty sure it will be unchanged today, although Mara might get a run out.

Stephens is important to us. I know some don't rate him but I think he is very underrated. A capable flexible  defender and a decent leader in my opinion.

Whilst clearly our number 3 CB atm, he could be called upon at any time.

Defenders are more at risk from injuries and suspension due to the nature of their role. Martin is right to keep him fit and ready to go. If all goes well it would be good to see him on the pitch for a decent cameo.

Despite Stephens being a good leader and a relatively solid defender, one area of his game that is overrated is his passing. 

He seems to give it away in dangerous areas quite a lot, as proved by the under 21s game the other night.

He just isn't as good as Bednarek or THB but is a decent option as 3rd choice.

46 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Despite Stephens being a good leader and a relatively solid defender, one area of his game that is overrated is his passing. 

He seems to give it away in dangerous areas quite a lot, as proved by the under 21s game the other night.

Last weekend he opened Blackburn up 3 times with his passing.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Similar to Manning. Both have good passes in their locker but are also prone to giving it away in dangerous areas. That's why I'd stick with THB and Bednarek. They have less clangers in them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Similar to Manning. Both have good passes in their locker but are also prone to giving it away in dangerous areas. That's why I'd stick with THB and Bednarek. They have less clangers in them. 

I disagree, I feel all 3 at this level are very good at this level. Up to Stephens injury he was our best CB.

I wouldn't drop either Bednarek or THB though whilst they are in rhe form they are though either.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I think this about balance. We can afford to have a risk taker at the back, but need to have some pace alongside that to recover from those mistakes. Bednarek and Stephens at the back has historically been a bit of a problem because they both are error prone (in different ways) but neither has the pace to recover. Having said that Bednarek this season is a different player so who knows. Throw Manning into the mix of Stephens and Bednarek and we'll leak chances for fun...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Today I watch the Saints game with my 91 year old Dad for the last time - he will sadly not know anything of the game as he is on end of life care. I’m hoping Saints will do him proud.

Praying for you and your family at this difficult time. Hope Saints get a win for him!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'm not sure I agree with that, I think his passing is a solid part of his game. He always looks to push forward.

Don't confuse that with the occasional brain fart, which he needs to cut out.

As I said I like him, but he'll never be dominant in the air. That is the bigger issue.

Anyway as you say, decent back up.

• Lighthouse changed the title to QPR 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic