Saints 4-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Saturday 3pm

goodymatt

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

First twenty minutes of the second half before we scored we played some genuinely incredible stuff. So so impressive. Best game of the season for me. 

So presumably the play after that when we scored the 3 goals must have been like watching Brazil at their best 🙂

49 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

just wanted to say thank you for providing the link to this stream.

brilliant from beginning to end!

Thanks from me too. Such sublime football - mesmeric. I could hardly keep up with the moves. The commentary keeps you informed which  has the ball  - which is good because on my computer screen hard to pick out some players

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

So presumably the play after that when we scored the 3 goals must have been like watching Brazil at their best 🙂

Goals were great but some of that was in part because of what we had done previously tiring Wednesday out and they imploded. 

• Like 2

That was so good! St. Mary’s days are something to savour currently, great football, great crowds, great atmosphere. I thought the whole team was excellent, what pleases me is how they work together as a unit, always looking for the ball, always looking for the killer pass. If I had to pick MoM it would be two, AA for his work rate and runs (not always picked up) off the ball, and for his all round football brain. The other would be Smallbone, thought that today was his most positive game I’ve seen, I’ve thought that in the past he was a bit too fond of the backwards pass, today, in my opinion, he was the complete opposite, always looking to go forward.

If there was a negative for me (of course there had to be one) it was that as far as I could make out we didn’t win one first ball off of the many corners we had, so I had hoped we would vary it a tad. However in a day of so many good things that is perhaps nitpicking.

• Like 3

That was remarkable today in terms or controlling the game, sorry for the hyperbole but like watching Man City play a league one side off the park in the cup. I don’t think opposition at this level have got an answer to the likes of KWP, Downes, Armstrong and Fraser when on song, the last two goals were sublime in the flesh. Now we need Sunderland to beat Ipswich to end a near perfect Saturday. 

That was a potentially tricky game which we just swatted aside like it was no bother. That second half was as good as we've played all season, just too good for them. It doesn't matter how good teams at this level play against us if we play like that, they just can't get near - it's game over at that point. We're playing like a PL side in the wrong league right now.

No one had a bad game, no one had a 'good' game either - everyone was 9/10 without doubt. I was really impressed with Smallbone today, his use of the ball was superb and he was everywhere on the pitch - a real presence in there. In fact the CM area was just heads and shoulders above them, they were truly dominated in there.

I never really understood the negativity towards Fraser when he signed here. He was always someone, as an opposition fan, that I dreaded coming up against and he's showing us exactly why you'd dread a player like him if you were on the opposite side. He runs all game, tackles, chases, hassles and he's got genuine quality - he's a proper old fashioned throwback type wide man, really love those sorts of players and there aren't many if any as good as him at this level. Another PL player at the level below.

Since September what we have done is nothing short of incredible, I didn't see it coming. It's an historical run that has clawed ourselves back into the automatic promotion debate, and this run has meant that we will likely be in and around that debate for the entire season now. It's going to be a really exciting second half where we genuinely have something to play for now. There will be bumps and dents along the way, no doubt about it, but all I can say right now is bring it on - play as we are and no one can handle us at this level.

• Like 9

Cracking performance from front to back, from start to finish. Cant argue with any of that. Ever since Sully got injured we’ve been a level above anything previous, IMO. I’m not saying it’s all his fault but we’ve looked better going forward with Edozie and now Fraser. Really starting to chew through the GD of teams around us as well.

• Like 2

There’s clearly never a bad time to score, but I think today we got the first 2 goals just at the right time, which changed the game. 

Whilst dominating the first half, up until the goal, it was pretty slow and flat on and off the pitch. It had a feel of “it’s gonna be one of those days”. I actually thought Wednesday came out of the blocks pretty well second half and were playing and pressing really high. The second killed the game nd took all momentum they had out of them. 

I have to say, our composure on the ball was brilliant, especially for the second goal.  And for once, we looked clinical on the counter. 

No one had a bad game, but I thought Fraser was my MOTM. Continually causing them problems down the left, made so many runs we just didn’t find him. 

It’s been said a few times, but what a partnership TBH and Bednerak are. Our best / most solid pairing since Fonte / VvD or Toby?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

Another great win. The 2nd half of this season is shaping up to be one hell of a fight.

The games at the King Power, Portman Road and Elland Road just get bigger and bigger.

Hopefully it’ll all be done by the time we go to Elland Road

35 minutes ago, LGTL said:

We really are very, very good. 

We are, really excellent today, but need to start doing it away from home. Got a few aways coming up and need to keep the pressure on Ipswich. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Lets be honest, we have to be better away from home. 

Harsh imo. Any other season we’d be flying ahead at the top and the odd draw away with our home form would be more than enough. 

the standard set form 4 teams this year is an absolute joke. 

Let’s be honest, we have to be better away from home. 

Our away record this season is W6 D5 L2.

On that record alone, over the course of a season it would be 81 points. Which is pretty damned impressive.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, northam soul said:

All these complete sell outs and yet crowds are only just over 30k.

I know there is more netting in the Itchen North nowadays but not that much ?

Block 48 of away section closed as well, we used to give 3300 to away teams, now 2,825 so quite a few lost there last summer. 

Sheffield wednesday didn't quite sell out either 

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Harsh imo. Any other season we’d be flying ahead at the top and the odd draw away with our home form would be more than enough. 

We’ve drawn 5 of the last 7 away, dominated in a lot of them without being clinical enough. I think it’s a fair comment, there’s a lot of dross in this league and we’ve failed to beat plenty of it. Luckily our home form is so good it’s kept us in the running 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

We draw too many away....more so when we should be out of sight in some of those....That is quite evident IMO

• Like 3

Feels like I say the same after every home match, but we seemingly have gone up a level since the 1-0 win over Bristol City at the end of November. We're just swatting away the opposition and they can't get close to us. It feels like this unbeaten run won't end, our bad games are draws and we've deserved every win, when usually a team flukes a win on these runs.

Sheffield Wednesday and Rohl seemed to want a 1-0 defeat, with their goalkeeper continuing to time waste at 1-0 and they used the old tactic of slowing the game down and getting a mini-break with player's hitting the deck. They only really started to speed up at 2-0, but the game was done by that point and apart from a free-kick on the edge of the box I can't remember Bazunu doing much else. Not quite sure how there was only two minutes added time at half time, guess that rule's gone. I do feel sorry for the Sheffield Wednesday fans making the trip down to watch that performance. No wonder they were silent.

All players today were excellent, including the subs. Adams' goal was really well taken, he showed a bit of Premier League quality, which surprised me. Really took the nerves off the rest of the match and we were relentless from there.

There's a real feel good factor around St. Mary's, the team and the management again, when last season the club was so fractured with a load of mercenaries and a couple of out of touch managers. We could have gone one way or the other this season and it's so good to have football bringing joy again.

We will catch Ipswich even if they did win today. 20 unbeaten, only 13 more to equal Reading's record.

Up the Saints!

• Like 1

We draw too many away....more so when we should be out of sight in some of those....That is quite evident IMO

Next two league aways at Swansea and Rotherham, got to take those opportunities 

• Like 2

Huddersfield, Watford, Coventry, Norwich all away games we lead into the late stages and didn’t win. 8 points dropped along with Rotherham at home makes it 10. We’ve been brilliant lately but we need near perfection 

• Like 3

Just now, JRM said:

Next two league aways at Swansea and Rotherham, got to take those opportunities 

Exactly....we have a very tough 2 away games in a week next month. Away to Bristol City in the week then away to WBA.

Was just having a little browse on Owlstalk. They are very complimentary about us, but scathing of their CB Diaby. They reckon DR has a real blind spot there.

Another great performance, and it's lovely to see us finally putting teams to the sword. 19 goals (and only one conceded) in our last 5 home games isn't to be sniffed at.

Shame Ipswich won, but if we keep up our form it won't be long before we overtake them and stay there.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Huddersfield, Watford, Coventry, Norwich all away games we lead into the late stages and didn’t win. 8 points dropped along with Rotherham at home makes it 10. We’ve been brilliant lately but we need near perfection 

I had the debate with myself earlier, as I thought the same thing. But for every game we’ve conceded late, there are others where we’ve nicked it at the end. So on balance I think we’re probably about par away from home. 

That being said, the difference between us and Leicester is that they’re more clinical than we are.

I think if we remain unbeaten (winning most) at home and continue to be “on par” away from home, we’ll be in the top 2 come May. Unfortunately we’ve still got some really tough away fixtures still to come. 

Just now, Dman said:

I had the debate with myself earlier, as I thought the same thing. But for every game we’ve conceded late, there are others where we’ve nicked it at the end. So on balance I think we’re probably about par away from home. 

That being said, the difference between us and Leicester is that they’re more clinical than we are.

I think if we remain unbeaten (winning most) at home and continue to be “on par” away from home, we’ll be in the top 2 come May. Unfortunately we’ve still got some really tough away fixtures still to come. 

Kind of the point about needing to be better away from home. 

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Coventry was a decent point to be fair though. As proved by them turning over Leicester today, even if they had a man  advantage 

Just loving life in Kingsland Block 35 under the best manager for years and moving from the Northam next to the away fans ruining every Saturday night…

Like waking up in heaven after a nightmare!

• Like 1

Soft spot for Wednesday. Chatted with few of their fans in pub beforehand. Glowing in their praise for us and talking about first game of season and how much we all don’t miss PL. Walking down to ground also overheard a group talking about how much they liked Saints. Notice loads applauded for the clapping tribute too. And boy do they like Danny Rohl. Really hope they stay up.

• Like 7

Ipswich remind me of Brighton in League 1 and Reading in the Champ, last time we came up. More consistently a goal or two better than everyone they play, which gives them the points in the table. Head to head over 90 minutes though, most neutrals would be betting on Saints. 

• Like 1

Just want to say a very big public sorry to Russell Martin. I was one that was questioning the appointment at the start. 

Today was fantastic. Previous saints teams would have been bullied by such a big physical team. But martins team had the confidence to play them off the park. It was genuinely fantastic, just like the last couple of months. 

Russell Martin, fucking outstanding work sir. 

• Like 3