Saints 4-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Saturday 3pm

goodymatt

Avoid defeat in this match and we will equal our all time undefeated league record. Wednesday are much improved, winning their last 3 in all competitions. Will our former assistant end our run? I still think we will have too much for them. 2-1 Saints.

Baz

KWP THB Bednarek Manning

Smallbone Downes Stu

Arma Che Fraser

• Like 2

They’ve really started to click under the new regime now and have some potency in attack.  Think they’ll be coming into this one with their tails up but if we play to our best, without stupid mistakes and sloppy defending from Manning, we’ll win.

2-1 Saints.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago we'd all have been very confident of winning this one. However, Wednesday have now won three games on the bounce so are clearly beginning to improve. I still think we'll win the game but they'll probably make us work for it.

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We need to overtake Ipswich over the new couple of games. This mean this needs to be a victory.

Ipswich v Sunderland is 5.30 ko so we have a chance to go temporarily 2nd place, would put even more pressure on the tractor boys. 

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Ipswich v Sunderland is 5.30 ko so we have a chance to go temporarily 2nd place, would put even more pressure on the tractor boys. 

And a game Ipswich will probably get something from. Sheff Weds are bottom 3, this has to be a win and anything else (even a draw to keep the undefeated run going) will be a terrible result

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I can't see anything other than a convincing performance and victory for us in this game.

We'll create a shed-load of chances, miss a fair few of them, but ultimately come out of the game 4-0 winners. Fraser to score one and assist one. The promotion charge continues.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We need to overtake Ipswich over the new couple of games. This mean this needs to be a victory.

Surely we only need to overtake them by the end of the season unless I've missed a rule change where the second place team now  gets promoted in mid January.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Surely we only need to overtake them by the end of the season unless I've missed a rule change where the second place team now  gets promoted in mid January.

Well done. But our amazing run will not go on forever, ipswich will turn it around and we are still in the midst of our easiest run of games.

I dont fancy our chances of reeling in 6-9 points on ipswich (and stay above leeds), when this run of easier games is over.

Sheff Weds at home needs to be a win

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, waylander said:

They conceded 2 penalties in 3 mins yesterday - both were saved, but that makes their win look less convincing

I was just going to post the same thing. Yes, they've improved recently, and on paper their win yesterday looks very good, but in reality they are still very limited and vulnerable at the back.

Hopefully their new found confidence will encourage them to attack a bit more, which will play right into our hands by leaving gaps for us to play forward into. But if they do what others have done and park the bus, we just need to remain patient, keep our concentration at the back, and make sure we don't let Alcaraz take any penalties they might concede!

32 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Just keep the momentum. 

Exactly this. Just stay confident, play our game, don't second guess or overthink any passes or play. Just fucking smash them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I have a bad feeling about this one. I reckon our run will end I think in a game we don't expect like this one. 1-2 is my prediction hope I'm wrong! 

Don't worry, be happy! I have a very good feeling about this match, very good indeed. Hope that helps.

On 07/01/2024 at 09:25, hypochondriac said:

I have a bad feeling about this one. I reckon our run will end I think in a game we don't expect like this one. 1-2 is my prediction hope I'm wrong! 

Yeah that's how i'm feeling. They've looked a completely differnt side (results wise) since Rohl has come in - If they play in the fashion of Ralph in his early days, Quick high counter press, then I think we will struggle. We seem to struggle a bit when teams go 2 up top and full press (usually late on in the game).

Much like you, 1-2 - a mistake at the back for at least one 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rohl has injected some energy into their play and got them performing somewhat above their level, in much the same way that Ralph did with us when he first joined. But we have a handful of senior players still here who will have played when Rohl was with us (Stephens, Bednarek, Stu) who will know all about his pressing tactics.

The way we knock it around at the back is most effective (and designed for) when teams press us, because it's all about waiting for the right moment to beat the press and play it forward into the space left by the pressing front line. Their setup should provide us ample opportunity to get forward and create chances, and as long as we maintain our composure at the back and don't give it away cheaply in dangerous areas like Stephens and Holgate did on Saturday, we should beat them comfortably.

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Rohl has injected some energy into their play and got them performing somewhat above their level, in much the same way that Ralph did with us when he first joined. But we have a handful of senior players still here who will have played when Rohl was with us (Stephens, Bednarek, Stu) who will know all about his pressing tactics.

The way we knock it around at the back is most effective (and designed for) when teams press us, because it's all about waiting for the right moment to beat the press and play it forward into the space left by the pressing front line. Their setup should provide us ample opportunity to get forward and create chances, and as long as we maintain our composure at the back and don't give it away cheaply in dangerous areas like Stephens and Holgate did on Saturday, we should beat them comfortably.

It’s the kind of match in which think saints favourites obvs to win but both teams to score might be a good bet. 12/5 if interested 

An ultra aggressive SW press “ may” catch us out once, perhaps even twice but by same token we like playing g through such high presses and shown many times we can be devastating. 

A 4-2 ( 40/1 looks tasty) would not surprise me at all. 

Edited by gio1saints

I think our run will end. Complacency will kick in here. Also depends if RM plays the likes of Smallbone and Mara ahead of say Alcaraz and Adams. Not playing those latter two after scoring before the Norwich game was poor error of judgement.

I can imagine our pissing around at the back being punished by some rare closing down of Sheffield Wednesday strikers much like the Ipswich game at the start of the season.

0-1/1-1.

I don’t think we’ll win. Smash and grab from Danny Rohl’s team.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Got to agree with this, the amount of possession we have had in most games this season should see there pressing player run themselves into the ground giving us plenty of opportunities in the last quarter provided we don’t gift them anything early.

I'd go for this team..

Bazunu; KWP, Bednarek, THB, Manning; Downes, Charles, S.Armstrong; Fraser, A.Armstrong, Adams.

Slightly more attacking line up would be to take Charles out, drop Stu back and play Alcaraz in the 10.

Edited by Harry_SFC

I couldn’t give a shiny shit about how they’re getting on, or about the German hipster in charge of them.

Fact is, we are the mighty Saints.  We have a well-rested team and we are going to smash the fucking Northern monkeys 4-1.

Stick that in your fucking lederhosen Danny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Listening to the Total Saints pod, their fan suggested they are pressing as a unit and high, just like you’d expect from a Ralph disciple’s team. It will be interesting to see if our playing out from the back is polished enough to take advantage of that or if we might end up giving away a silly goal or two.

I’m feeling pretty confident in our possession footy now, despite the Bazunu error vs Plymouth and the chances afforded to Walsall just after half time at the weekend. My expectation is that we will get plenty of chances to score against their leaky defence. 

It’s going to come down to who has the best clinical finisher(s). If we manage to maintain possession under pressure (I’m thinking mainly Manning and Alcarez here) then limiting their chances will obviously limit the number of shots on target. The one issue I’m slightly nervous about is that when a lesser skilled team presses hard, that can result in injuries to our players when they come in late and now is not the time to lose more of our better players.

49 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Listening to the Total Saints pod, their fan suggested they are pressing as a unit and high, just like you’d expect from a Ralph disciple’s team. It will be interesting to see if our playing out from the back is polished enough to take advantage of that or if we might end up giving away a silly goal or two.

I’m feeling pretty confident in our possession footy now, despite the Bazunu error vs Plymouth and the chances afforded to Walsall just after half time at the weekend. My expectation is that we will get plenty of chances to score against their leaky defence. 

The high press is great when it works but if the opposition are good enough to play around it, it can be a disaster, as we found out in the Prem. Once teams had worked us out it fell apart. Sheff Wednesday are now scoring goals with the new tactics but they still look vulnerable defensively. Hopefully there will be gaps in the midfield for our superior players to exploit.

The game at their place was incredibly one sided but their game plan very nearly worked. It'll be interesting to see what tactics they employ this weekend. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic