Saints 4-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Saturday 3pm

goodymatt

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

The high press is great when it works but if the opposition are good enough to play around it, it can be a disaster, as we found out in the Prem. Once teams had worked us out it fell apart. Sheff Wednesday are now scoring goals with the new tactics but they still look vulnerable defensively. Hopefully there will be gaps in the midfield for our superior players to exploit.

The game at their place was incredibly one sided but their game plan very nearly worked. It'll be interesting to see what tactics they employ this weekend. 

I went to the away game and we totally bossed it, but remember that was a different Manager playing different tactics and they couldn’t get near us. My SW supporting mate said we were the best team he’d seen at theirs and that included many in the Prem. What I remember from the game was I couldn’t understand why they didn’t press us more…they constantly just sat back waiting for us to cock up basically, which we rarely did and if we did, they were not good enough to make it count.

That will NOT happen in this next game…it will be a much harder game.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

36 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I went to the away game and we totally bossed it, but remember that was a different Manager playing different tactics and they couldn’t get near us. My SW supporting mate said we were the best team he’d seen at theirs and that included many in the Prem. What I remember from the game was I couldn’t understand why they didn’t press us more…they constantly just sat back waiting for us to cock up basically, which we rarely did and if we did, they were not good enough to make it count.

That will NOT happen in this next game…it will be a much harder game.

They didn't press us more because of the risk in leaving gaps in the midfield/defence. Teams like that who know they have inferior players will generally defend and hope for a 1-1 or a lucky 1-0 win on the counter. At the end of the day we only just managed to beat them with a last minute goal, despite domination of the ball.

Their manager was probably worried that if they'd pressed us, it could've ended 4-1.

The only teams that have come to St Mary's, pressed us and managed to win were teams better than us at the time (Leicester and Ipswich). Swansea tried a little when we were on a roll and failed miserably. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

ms better than us at the time (Leicester and Ipswich). Swansea tried a little when we were on a roll and failed miserably. 

Although might not have done had they taken two fairly good early chances. We're far from infallible, despite the run we're on.

• Like 4

I too went to the away game. Had a good time all round, thanks for the recommendation on here of Domo, decent pubs and a lift back to my accommodation from some Wednesday fans.

We dominated there, and although they've improved so have we and added some directness through Fraser and generally moving the ball a bit quicker. I'd certainly be very disappointed if we didn't win.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I couldn’t give a shiny shit about how they’re getting on, or about the German hipster in charge of them.

Fact is, we are the mighty Saints.  We have a well-rested team and we are going to smash the fucking Northern monkeys 4-1.

Stick that in your fucking lederhosen Danny.

You articulate your point well. But if you look at the metrics, Rohl’s intense gegenpress could pose problems for us in transition, especially if he employs two false nines and interchangeable inverted full backs. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

You articulate your point well. But if you look at the metrics, Rohl’s intense gegenpress could pose problems for us in transition, especially if he employs two false nines and interchangeable inverted full backs. 

image.png.363ebffd77b81e9ae7ee7f905aa93c00.png

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I couldn’t give a shiny shit about how they’re getting on, or about the German hipster in charge of them.

Fact is, we are the mighty Saints.  We have a well-rested team and we are going to smash the fucking Northern monkeys 4-1.

Stick that in your fucking lederhosen Danny.

Back of the net as usual Wade!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Appy said:

Who was that Sheffield Wednesday fan on here that wouldn’t leave us alone in the League One days?

BigFatOwl from Winchester, he is wetting himself with excitement about this match (I think its the match and not his prostate).

Bednarek:

"It’s not bad, but we are not where we want to be, it’s not enough.”

"Our target is promotion, to get back to the Premier League”

"There’s a lot of willingness to learn and improve.”

“There are still some bits missing, but we are going in the right direction”

"It’s great having an unbeaten run, but the draws we’ve had are like defeat for us, that’s what makes the difference. We aren’t getting enough points. We always want more.” 

“We need to stay focused and stay brave and be hungry for 90 mins”

"We have to counter the game with the mindset ‘it’s all about us’”

"Huddersfield or Watford, away it wasn’t about them scoring great goals, it was all about us creating mistakes and not in the right mindset in the last 20-30 mins”

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Officially sold out now, although you can get tickets via the ticket exchange.

Phenomenal to hit over 30,000 again

Superb support. Stadium expansion on the cards?

• Haha 3

It’s a historic fixture.

One day, 🤞, all 30k saints fans will be able to say they were there the day that an unbeaten league games record was matched. 

If you ain’t got a ticket then, frankly, you need to get off your backside and do what it takes to get one pay whatever is required to get in and be there. 

History can be made and no saints fan should miss it. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

It’s a historic fixture.

One day, 🤞, all 30k saints fans will be able to say they were there the day that an unbeaten league games record was matched. 

If you ain’t got a ticket then, frankly, you need to get off your backside and do what it takes to get one pay whatever is required to get in and be there. 

Clearly many will, as I'm preeeetttyy sure there are more than 30k saints fans in this world we traverse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

It’s a historic fixture.

One day, maybe, but not tomorrow. 

On 09/01/2024 at 11:38, Harry_SFC said:

Had this a few times where I accidentally add a quote and can't get rid. Any suggestions?

5 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Bollocks I didn't realise it was close to selling out. My lad was asking me today if he could go :(

Edited by EssEffCee

7 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Had this a few times where I accidentally add a quote and can't get rid. Any suggestions?

Bollocks I didn't realise it was close to selling out. My lad was asking me today if he could go :(

He can go, quite a few tickets available on the exchange 

https://exchange.southamptonfc.com/selection/resale/item?performanceId=10228529227869&productId=10228529222459

Surprised Sheffield Wednesday haven't sold out away allocation, I thought they were one of those clubs that always took good numbers , looks like they'll have similar end to Walsall with a few empty in block 43. 

48 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Going to be odd tickets though isn't it? Normally I change my seat and we then sit together. He's under 10 so won't be sitting on his own.

Find two together and put yours on the exchange.

30 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Find two together and put yours on the exchange.

I've never bought from exchange before, do I have to pay full price even for his ticket? The ones I've looked at don't let me change the category.

16 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Bednarek:

"It’s not bad, but we are not where we want to be, it’s not enough.”

"Our target is promotion, to get back to the Premier League”

"There’s a lot of willingness to learn and improve.”

“There are still some bits missing, but we are going in the right direction”

"It’s great having an unbeaten run, but the draws we’ve had are like defeat for us, that’s what makes the difference. We aren’t getting enough points. We always want more.” 

“We need to stay focused and stay brave and be hungry for 90 mins”

"We have to counter the game with the mindset ‘it’s all about us’”

"Huddersfield or Watford, away it wasn’t about them scoring great goals, it was all about us creating mistakes and not in the right mindset in the last 20-30 mins”

This man should have been captain this season, imo. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 09/01/2024 at 17:24, LaptopSaint said:

You articulate your point well. But if you look at the metrics, Rohl’s intense gegenpressing could pose problems for us in transition, especially if he employs two false nines and interchangeable inverted full backs. 

i do love a game of  "Honestly guys im really tactically aware Bingo".

Thats got to be points for ..... gegenpressing, transition, false nines and interchangeable inverted full backs

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

i do love a game of  "Honestly guys im really tactically aware Bingo".

Thats got to be points for ..... gegenpressing, transition, false nines and interchangeable inverted full backs

Let's be honest, if it weren't for FM nobody would have even heard of any of those terms including real life managers. 

Having a chance to equal a 100 year unbeaten club record and losing at home to a team in the bottom 3 managed by a former coach of ours would be the most Saintsey thing imaginable.

The only way it could be any more Saintsey is if we lost 9-0 and all 9 goals were scored in second half stoppage time by an ex-Pompey player. 

• Haha 3

A bit off topic, but just seen on sky sports app, ‘championship team of the year so far’, compiled by our own David Prutton. Very surprised not one Saint in there, considering our remarkable form, especially leaving out KWP who is hands down the best in this league. Is David known for having a saints chip on his shoulder?

1 hour ago, Saint Marky said:

A bit off topic, but just seen on sky sports app, ‘championship team of the year so far’, compiled by our own David Prutton. Very surprised not one Saint in there, considering our remarkable form, especially leaving out KWP who is hands down the best in this league. Is David known for having a saints chip on his shoulder?

Two Cardiff defenders in there for some odd reason. 

18 hours ago, gio1saints said:

It’s a historic fixture.

Nothing will ever match the day we gained our first promotion to the First Division or the day we won the Cup Final. I woz there then on both occasions.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Hope there aren't half a dozen cruise liners in port or the journey in will be another bloody nightmare. At least the station road works have ended.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Having a chance to equal a 100 year unbeaten club record and losing at home to a team in the bottom 3 managed by a former coach of ours would be the most Saintsey thing imaginable.

The only way it could be any more Saintsey is if we lost 9-0 and all 9 goals were scored in second half stoppage time by an ex-Pompey player. 

I've read your post a couple of times and without the exaggeration I think you're right, it will be a game like this that we'll lose, nothing will go in despite 25 shots, ref will give us nothing etc , Sheff Wed to nick it late on. 

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Any new injury concerns? 

No new injury concerns. Martin said Edozie, Bree and Sulemana are all on track for a return at the end of the month. Ross remains out for the season.

Sheffield Wednesday's other results against "top" sides this season 

Sheffield wednesday 1-1 Leicester 

Leeds 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday 

Looks like they raise their game and compete, tough fixture for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I've read your post a couple of times and without the exaggeration I think you're right, it will be a game like this that we'll lose, nothing will go in despite 25 shots, ref will give us nothing etc , Sheff Wed to nick it late on. 

If you really think that you can get 7/1 on a Sheff Wed win

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Any prezzer for this?

Here we go....

• We have not really spoke about the record, the next game is just the most important
  • Lads have been amazing for a long period. The incentive is not the record, but to win and hunt the teams ahead of us
  • The first team are so close now, and we must continue to fight
  • Carrying on doing what we have will make history. We have probably spoken about the history once, but it is not a focus
  • I am really proud of them, I love working with them and watching them play. 
  • We have an opposition in a good place with a good manager and momentum
  • It will be tough and a different challenge, but exciting
  • Their manager has brilliant pedigree, he has been coaching at a very high level, including here
  • he has a very particular way, but it is very different to us
  • the focus is about us, and they will come and do what they do and it will be a challenge
  • It is up to us to ensure we counter their game plan, we will be ready
  • The lads are prepared, they are a good team, with good players but just never went right at the start of the season
  • I have enjoyed watching them play with their aggression, but we are ready
  • January is a big month on the training ground, we have a great chance to nail down stuff we need to improve on
  • We have reviewed the last run of games and the players have really been great. I love it on the training pitch
  • From feb we will have limited time on the training ground due to the hectic number of fixtures
  • Nothing has changed with regards to injuries, Sam, James and Kamaldeen should be back towards the end of the month, all coming along nicely
  • all others (bar Ross) are in a really good place
  • Players in a such a different place compared to the summer, they are used to the speculation, we have had some great conversation
  • We speak to them alot, even if not in the team, it is good to check in on them, more so for topics away from football
  • Players here have real pride and belief in what they are doing, no one is unsettled at all, lets see how it goes in Jan
  • The squad are really together and I cannot ask for much else
  • Like 14

Driving in for the first time in a long time (got the train last time), any recommendations on places to park from 13:00? 

Gotta get back into Sholing/Bitterne after to get the kid. 

8 minutes ago, Monk said:

Driving in for the first time in a long time (got the train last time), any recommendations on places to park from 13:00? 

i did the multi in Ocean Village for the first time last week. Found it pretty easy to get away afterwards. Got there for about 14.15. Might be a lot busier tomorrow though as bigger crowd.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Monk said:

Bitterne Br station or nearby. 22m walk from there. 

Edited by gio1saints
Undercooked walking time
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Monk said:

The goods yard by the rowing club just over Northam Bridge - £10 a go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Bitterne Br station or nearby. 15m walk from there. 

We park near Bitterness station and it takes us longer than that. It’s about 1.3 miles.

Oak bank Road car park at Woolston is equally handy and about the same distance. The walk over the Itchen Bridge can be a bit exposed to the weather though.

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic