Saints 4-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Saturday 3pm

goodymatt

3 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Stephens on the bench please ..KWP back at right back .....Alcaraz in for Aribo 

Stephens use of the ball is too good for him to be benched. You've only got to see his ball to Alcaraz for the Mara goal to see why he plays. 

• Like 5

On 12/01/2024 at 08:30, Fabrice29 said:

Find two together and put yours on the exchange.

Be careful, I've put my ticket on the exchange a number of times (including big games) and never once got any money back 😵

16 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Here we go....

• We have not really spoke about the record, the next game is just the most important
  • Lads have been amazing for a long period. The incentive is not the record, but to win and hunt the teams ahead of us
  • The first team are so close now, and we must continue to fight
  • Carrying on doing what we have will make history. We have probably spoken about the history once, but it is not a focus
  • I am really proud of them, I love working with them and watching them play. 
  • We have an opposition in a good place with a good manager and momentum
  • It will be tough and a different challenge, but exciting
  • Their manager has brilliant pedigree, he has been coaching at a very high level, including here
  • he has a very particular way, but it is very different to us
  • the focus is about us, and they will come and do what they do and it will be a challenge
  • It is up to us to ensure we counter their game plan, we will be ready
  • The lads are prepared, they are a good team, with good players but just never went right at the start of the season
  • I have enjoyed watching them play with their aggression, but we are ready
  • January is a big month on the training ground, we have a great chance to nail down stuff we need to improve on
  • We have reviewed the last run of games and the players have really been great. I love it on the training pitch
  • From feb we will have limited time on the training ground due to the hectic number of fixtures
  • Nothing has changed with regards to injuries, Sam, James and Kamaldeen should be back towards the end of the month, all coming along nicely
  • all others (bar Ross) are in a really good place
  • Players in a such a different place compared to the summer, they are used to the speculation, we have had some great conversation
  • We speak to them alot, even if not in the team, it is good to check in on them, more so for topics away from football
  • Players here have real pride and belief in what they are doing, no one is unsettled at all, lets see how it goes in Jan
  • The squad are really together and I cannot ask for much else

2nd part is up now and I have got to say I’m more than warming to RM.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Monk said:

Driving in for the first time in a long time (got the train last time), any recommendations on places to park from 13:00? 

Gotta get back into Sholing/Bitterne after to get the kid. 

Free Park in and around Junction Inn, nr St Denys station - a pleasant water facing walk via The Itchen walkway leads you straight to SMS.  That’s also 25 minutes but it’s quite a social one as it’s 99% Saints fans. 

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We park near Bitterness station and it takes us longer than that. It’s about 1.3 miles.

Oak bank Road car park at Woolston is equally handy and about the same distance. The walk over the Itchen Bridge can be a bit exposed to the weather though.

Yep sorry. More like 22-25mins. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, waylander said:

The goods yard by the rowing club just over Northam Bridge - £10 a go

Coalporter rowing club? I thought it was free or time restricted parking in that under bridge kind of area ? I saw they’d blocked off the space near the ( open on match days, fairly rough but authentic clubhouse bar) with some cars at the last match but hitherto it’s had free spaces as long as yiu are there early. After 1.30 -2pm forget it. 

Disadvantage of paying a tenner to park at the various unofficial places nearer stadium is that with all our sell outs it’s usually going to take ages to get away. Unless you leave with five to go ( which is more like ten with injury time -BOOO!)

If you are willing to watch us score our usual injury time goals, wish to give three cheers to the team at match end etc and don’t mind having a little walk post match you can avoid the frustration of just sitting in traffic ten minutes, save that tenner, get your 10k steps under your belt and probably get home quicker by parking a little further out. 

26 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

2nd part is up now and I have got to say I’m more than warming to RM.

Part 2...why they do this is just mental.

• Been nice for a week in training. flynn hardly trained before Norwich and Jan had a few days off, but now they have reseted
  • Hopefully they have enjoyed being around the training ground, and we see it on the pitch
  • I don't care about manager of the month, but really, it is the team who would win that, so I do not care
  • I have never won 1 in 4 years but the leicester manager has won nearly all of them
  • December was frustrating, we should have had more points, but ultimately the manager of the month does not bother me at all
  • I don't read who we have been linked with, but we lost a player who would have been so perfect (tella), so hopefully we get someone like him
  • we fought off offers for him, but the final bid was brilliant and had to take it. We have not replaced him
  • The team has evolved, so open to different possibilities, sure we will end up with someone
  • I would be lying if I said we are not looking to strengthen, Adam has been brilliant and Kamaldeen is back soon, Sam and Ryan have been brilliant
  • I am sure Watford had the same reaction to us with the FA Cup draw, but we hope Eastleigh get through
  • Newport will use Staplewood when they are down here
  • I think Charlie is a fantastic young talent with huge potential, he has had fantastic games and others not so good.
  • He is flexible and can play across the front. His best position is where Stu plays
  • It is about balance in midfield, charlie is a big player for us, but he may not start every game
  • He is improving brilliantly with language, and that is fantastic, but we must remember he is only 20 years old
  • This is a completely different style to what he is experienced and he is getting used to it
  • he practices and trains relentlessly. I should have brought him on earlier against Norwich
  • Ideally we do not lose anyone this month and we bring in at least 1 more
  • The players have us in a really good position so we are not desperate, we have a strong but small squad. We will not rush
  • it is hard to get the players we want,  early. We will keep working. It will be 1, maybe 2, with real quality
  • Ross is frustrated, sad, angry. He was so desperate to prove himself, but he is full involved, comes to every meeting
  • he is still on crutches, but is giving his recovery everything he has. He will come back from this, I have no doubt and will prove he is a brilliant player
  • Juan's birthday today, but we have not really seen him and it is tough for him. He is a brilliant young lad with amazing hunger and attitude
  • He is desperate to show what he can do and he will be back stronger
  • I have to stay in the job long enough to be here next season to see how good they are
  • It was my job to change the mentality when we were losing, it was my fault
  • We needed to compete more as we were talking too much about tactics at the time
  • the competitiveness in training increased after Boro, and we are now seeing it
  • The lads are so brave, I needed to be braver, the coaches and me had to change
  • We were honest with them and they were with us as staff and we see it. We built the trust in each other
  • some of the play we produce is now ridiculous, but we cannot drop off. 
  • Sheff Wed will be very aggressive, but we must continue and believe and we will be alright
Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

• Been nice for a week in training. flynn hardly trained before Norwich and Jan had a few days off, but now they have reseted
  • Hopefully they have enjoyed being around the training ground, and we see it on the pitch
  • I don't care about manager of the month, but really, it is the team who would win that, so I do not care
  • I have never won 1 in 4 years but the leicester manager has won nearly all of them
  • December was frustrating, we should have had more points, but ultimately the manager of the month does not bother me at all
  • I don't read who we have been linked with, but we lost a player who would have been so perfect (tella), so hopefully we get someone like him
  • we fought off offers for him, but the final bid was brilliant and had to take it. We have not replaced him
  • The team has evolved, so open to different possibilities, sure we will end up with someone
  • I would be lying if I said we are not looking to strengthen, Adam has been brilliant and Kamaldeen is back soon, Sam and Ryan have been brilliant
  • I am sure Watford had the same reaction to us with the FA Cup draw, but we hope Eastleigh get through
  • I think Charlie is a fantastic young talent with huge potential, he has had fantastic games and others not so good.
  • He is flexible and can play across the front. His best position is where Stu plays
  • It is about balance in midfield, charlie is a big player for us, but he may not start every game
  • He is improving brilliantly with language, and that is fantastic, but we must remember he is only 20 years old
  • This is a completely different style to what he is experienced and he is getting used to it
  • he practices and trains relentlessly. I should have brought him on earlier against Norwich
  • The players have us in a really good position so we are not desperate, we have a strong but small squad. We will not rush
  • it is hard to get the players we want,  early. We will keep working. It will be 1, maybe 2, with real quality
  • Ross is frustrated, sad, angry. He was so desperate to prove himself, but he is full involved, comes to every meeting
  • he is still on crutches, but is giving his recovery everything he has. He will come back from this, I have no doubt and will prove he is a brilliant player
  • Juan's birthday today, but we have not really seen him and it is tough for him. He is a brilliant young lad with amazing hunger and attitude
  • I have to stay in the job long enough to be here next season to see how good they are
  • We needed to compete more as we were talking too much about tactics at the time
  • the competitiveness in training increased after Boro, and we are now seeing it
  • The lads are so brave, I needed to be braver, the coaches and me had to change
  • We were honest with them and they were with us as staff and we see it. We built the trust in each other
  • Sheff Wed will be very aggressive, but we must continue and believe and we will be alright

Great summary Alex Law; and well done to RM - the fourth to last dot point, "I needed to be braver, the coaches and me had to change" is a brave admission to make.   And they have acted to change things, and been rewarded.      I also liked his comment about wanting to stay in the job long enough to be here next season to see how good they are.     If promotion happens he will surely get that chance come August this year.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I have an uneasy feeling about this game, there will certainly be some extra pressure on the players (due to the record) so we have to hope they respond.

I know what you mean, 100 year + record hanging in the balance, up against a former Coach, Sheff Weds who, over the years, we havent always had the best of times against at home.....i mean we are going to lose sometime BUT with Ipswich having a tough game the chance is there to nab that second spot !!

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Or his ball back to Bazunu.

From the fella who won't hear a bad word against Baz!

That ball to Alcaraz for Mara's goal, and has forward balls generally, transform how we progress up the pitch. Sure, KWP can run with the ball, but as we all (should) know, it's always better to let the ball do the work where possible. 

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Great summary Alex Law; and well done to RM - the fourth to last dot point, "I needed to be braver, the coaches and me had to change" is a brave admission to make.   And they have acted to change things, and been rewarded.      I also liked his comment about wanting to stay in the job long enough to be here next season to see how good they are.     If promotion happens he will surely get that chance come August this year.

Absolutely, the self awareness and honesty in that press conference is really refreshing. I wasn't a fan before he arrived, and in the early days, but he's had enough about him to change and admit his failings. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Thanks for the summary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

Absolutely, the self awareness and honesty in that press conference is really refreshing. I wasn't a fan before he arrived, and in the early days, but he's had enough about him to change and admit his failings. 

He has, it takes a fair amount of self reflection and humility to acknowledge mistakes and seek out change.   I think he's won over a lot of doubters - and I was one too.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Probably already mentioned but if not - we win today and we are second place at 5pm.

That, far more than the record, is the prize.

Come on you Saints

Indeed. Ipswich must be feeling the pressure of us breathing down their necks. 3 points for us today will hopefully make them nervy 🤞

• Like 2

On 09/01/2024 at 09:49, Wade Garrett said:

I couldn’t give a shiny shit about how they’re getting on, or about the German hipster in charge of them.

Fact is, we are the mighty Saints.  We have a well-rested team and we are going to smash the fucking Northern monkeys 4-1.

Stick that in your fucking lederhosen Danny.

Yep, you got a bite, works every time :lol:

"Reading their fan page I sincerely hope that Wade Garrett falls down a large hole that is full of a mixture of sloppy diarrhoea and used toilet implements/interspersed with loo roll, used"

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/327619-southampton-v-owls-unofficial-mdt/page/3/#comments

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, egg said:

And that is why I’ve warmed to him. His honesty is refreshing

• Like 2

Referee's having a mare in the Coventry v Leicester game. That was never a penalty and he's throwing yellow cards about like confetti at the Coventry players while turning a blind eye to a series of professional fouls from Leicester.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, coalman said:

Referee's having a mare in the Coventry v Leicester game. That was never a penalty and he's throwing yellow cards about like confetti at the Coventry players while turning a blind eye to a series of professional fouls from Leicester.

I was about to post something similar, then he sent that Leicester player off. Up until that point it was like Leicester were the Liverpool of the Championship in the eyes of the referees. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, coalman said:

It's the same referee that failed to send Jack Stacey off against us 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 4-0 Sheffield Wednesday - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic