Chris Nicholl - RIP

yellow&blue

When we signed Chris Nicholl in 1977 we knew we were going up because he had won promotion in his first season with all his previous clubs. Met him a couple of times and he was a lovely man, he even sent me a Christmas card after I wrote to him congratulating him on becoming our manager. Anyone who delivered what he did now, season after season of stability, would be hailed as a genius. Yet sadly he was shouted out of his job by a vocal minority who didn't understand the profound change in football that was happening in his era and thought we should be winning trophies. Our performance in the 86 semi-final was arguably better than in 84 but he suffered bad luck with Mark Wright's broken leg. In fact his time with Saints was dogged by bad luck and malicious referees in cup ties - the prancing ninny Roger Milford playing until Oldham equalised, George Courtney sending off Jimmy Case at Old Trafford, a perfectly good goal against Luton disallowed for inexplicable reasons. To this day, Chris remains the last Saints manager to have won a league game at Arsenal. But his legacy will be the golden autumn and winter of 89/90: 4-1 away at QPR followed the next Saturday by 4-1 at the Dell against Liverpool, 6-3 against Luton, beating Arsenal on Boxing Day and then thumping Charlton 4-2 away on New Years day and climaxing with a 3-1 victory in the FA Cup 3rd round at White Hart Lane.

• Like 17

I saw him once in the queue at the cinema to see "Boxing Helena".  I assume, like me, he was there to see Sherilyn Fenn in varying states of undress under the excuse that it was an "arty" film.  I didn't speak to him but you could tell he was tall from the way he looked.

That aside he was a good manager and responsible for a lot of great games and an exciting young side that was (mostly) fun to watch.  His last years are a terrible shame as it seems to be for a lot of players from that era.  RIP Chris.

4 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

When we signed Chris Nicholl in 1977 we knew we were going up because he had won promotion in his first season with all his previous clubs. Met him a couple of times and he was a lovely man, he even sent me a Christmas card after I wrote to him congratulating him on becoming our manager. Anyone who delivered what he did now, season after season of stability, would be hailed as a genius. Yet sadly he was shouted out of his job by a vocal minority who didn't understand the profound change in football that was happening in his era and thought we should be winning trophies. Our performance in the 86 semi-final was arguably better than in 84 but he suffered bad luck with Mark Wright's broken leg. In fact his time with Saints was dogged by bad luck and malicious referees in cup ties - the prancing ninny Roger Milford playing until Oldham equalised, George Courtney sending off Jimmy Case at Old Trafford, a perfectly good goal against Luton disallowed for inexplicable reasons. To this day, Chris remains the last Saints manager to have won a league game at Arsenal. But his legacy will be the golden autumn and winter of 89/90: 4-1 away at QPR followed the next Saturday by 4-1 at the Dell against Liverpool, 6-3 against Luton, beating Arsenal on Boxing Day and then thumping Charlton 4-2 away on New Years day and climaxing with a 3-1 victory in the FA Cup 3rd round at White Hart Lane.

I don't remember any great pressure for him to go. Maybe a bit of a victim of his own success in finishing 7th the season before.

When he did go where was a hope that we could get Redknapp, who was making a bit of a name for himself at Bournemouth, with Jimmy Case as player/assistant manager.

Instead we got Branfoot whose first act was to show Jimmy the door.

• Like 1

Wonderful man, I used to play tennis with him in a four, and would talk Saints. I was not a great fan of Frannie but he said that Franny gave everything and full of praise of him.

A tough gentleman imo. Great to see so many tributes by ex players. RIP the most underrated manager in the clubs history, if he had come after Branfoot he would have been here forever but following LM was always going to be a problem

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

I don't remember any great pressure for him to go. Maybe a bit of a victim of his own success in finishing 7th the season before.

When he did go where was a hope that we could get Redknapp, who was making a bit of a name for himself at Bournemouth, with Jimmy Case as player/assistant manager.

Instead we got Branfoot whose first act was to show Jimmy the door.

He had been under pressure a couple of times during his time as I recall but not immediately before he left. There had been the fall out with Mark Dennis  where many would have preferred to see the player stay.

We also had the barren run of about 20+ games without a win (was that 88/89) which came to a dramatic end with the 1-0 win at home to Newcastle ( Ruddock’s last minute penalty).  The following season though was the exciting one incl the 4-1 demolition of Liverpool.

As you say, that season probably set a standard that was difficult to maintain. 

In his last year we lost at Forest in a cup replay and CN offered his resignation. It was rejected by the board, although they sacked him a couple of months later at the end of the season. Thought that was poorly handled by the club really, and he should have been able to walk away without the sack. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

He had been under pressure a couple of times during his time as I recall but not immediately before he left. There had been the fall out with Mark Dennis  where many would have preferred to see the player stay.

We also had the barren run of about 20+ games without a win (was that 88/89) which came to a dramatic end with the 1-0 win at home to Newcastle ( Ruddock’s last minute penalty).  The following season though was the exciting one incl the 4-1 demolition of Liverpool.

As you say, that season probably set a standard that was difficult to maintain. 

In his last year we lost at Forest in a cup replay and CN offered his resignation. It was rejected by the board, although they sacked him a couple of months later at the end of the season. Thought that was poorly handled by the club really, and he should have been able to walk away without the sack. 

yeah, this is true. His dog had died as well, losing to Forest was the final straw but like you say, they did not take the resignation. 

He was a lovely, genuine guy. I tried to get an interview for the fanzine with him, back before phones, twitter etc. so I must have sent in a letter. Don't think I had a phone at home and put my works number on it. A few days later the receptionist calls over, '.... I have a Chris Nicholl on the phone for you'. He didn't want to do the interview but we had a chat. How many PL managers would do that these days? I think I regret the Nicholl fanzine front cover more than the Branfoot one. 

That 89 season, just wow, should have finished third if we'd beaten the north London clubs right at the end. But some games there, obv Liverpool, the previous week QPR away, Spurs in the third round, Matty's hat trick at home to Norwich, going for the treble after coming back against Swindon, 6-3 Luton, under the east stand, proper players, proper fans, fuck me, it's so shit now sometimes. 

RIP Chris Nicholl

• Like 7

Saw him play on many occasions though have two slightly unusual lasting memories of him, one being an own goal at Man City in the League Cup (78-79?) in an absolute monsoon, we were stood in the Family Centre and absolutely drenched. The other was meeting the players before a midweek game at Lawrie’s invitation - all the players were having steaks and CN stood out for having poached eggs on toast. Funny what you remember… great player and manager RIP

19 minutes ago, Huffton said:

There is a piece on the website but nothing on facebook weirdly

Ah my bad. Yeah I just presumed it would've been put on social media 🤦

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

Oh no!

Such a sad loss. Echoing all the points made by others in this thread. Club legend, captain, player, manager. The club did him dirty after he gave us some of our most memorable moments post Lawrie.

I met him once too, as a young lad up at St james' when we played them and he was such a great man, encouraging, kind, really interested in hearing about how my season was going with my team. Lovely bloke!

RIP Chris.

7 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

yeah, this is true. His dog had died as well, losing to Forest was the final straw but like you say, they did not take the resignation. 

He was a lovely, genuine guy. I tried to get an interview for the fanzine with him, back before phones, twitter etc. so I must have sent in a letter. Don't think I had a phone at home and put my works number on it. A few days later the receptionist calls over, '.... I have a Chris Nicholl on the phone for you'. He didn't want to do the interview but we had a chat. How many PL managers would do that these days? I think I regret the Nicholl fanzine front cover more than the Branfoot one. 

That 89 season, just wow, should have finished third if we'd beaten the north London clubs right at the end. But some games there, obv Liverpool, the previous week QPR away, Spurs in the third round, Matty's hat trick at home to Norwich, going for the treble after coming back against Swindon, 6-3 Luton, under the east stand, proper players, proper fans, fuck me, it's so shit now sometimes. 

RIP Chris Nicholl

89 was the brilliant.

I probably bought a copy, but I can't remember the chris nicholl cover. Remind us.

14 hours ago, Chez said:

89 was the brilliant.

I probably bought a copy, but I can't remember the chris nicholl cover. Remind us.

Should I stay or should I go now. 
Wasnt particularly vitriolic. But his time had come to an end really. 

• Like 1

RIP Chris. Dreadfully unlucky to lose his job here. He was a decent manager and suited Saints style. He was then replaced by a square peg in a round hole kick and rush merchant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Should I stay or should I go now. 
Wasnt particularly vitriolic. But his time had come to an end really. 

Although Saints sacking a manager then was unheard of ( CN the first I believe), it wasn’t a great surprise at the time.

We’d run out of steam towards the end of season. Didn’t we lose 6-2 or something like that at Derby in the run in ?. Several people said after that was the game that sealed his fate. 

39 minutes ago, Badger said:

Although Saints sacking a manager then was unheard of ( CN the first I believe), it wasn’t a great surprise at the time.

We’d run out of steam towards the end of season. Didn’t we lose 6-2 or something like that at Derby in the run in ?. Several people said after that was the game that sealed his fate. 

as mentioned before, the fact he wanted to resign was key. Didn't we have the same with Ralph. I think once that happens, it is pretty much the end. 

It was i guess the beginning of the PL era, and football and demands and expectations were changing. I'd thank him for that 89/90 season, not sure there has been a better one for entertainment in my lifetime of watching.

• Like 2

Don’t know if I might have missed it but first home game since his passing. 
surely we will be observing a minutes silence or applause (prefer silence myself) before the game. Silence before and applause in the 5th (was he a 5?) minute. Will be pretty crass if the club has not taken his passing into account. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Probably planned for the Preston match and then someone forgot.......................................

That's a pretty terrible excuse if so.

Really fucking poor from the club to neglect this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

Nothing. Totally fucking amazing. 
Who made that non decision? 

Very, very poor for a manager who represents a formative time for huge numbers of the paying fanbase.

• Like 4

Regardless of the fact that there was nothing at the game yesterday or if they “forgot”, I don’t even recall his passing being mentioned at all on the club’s official social media channels either.  Pretty poor all round if you ask me……

You would hope one of the club's social media toddlers might have a look on here and realised that they've badly fucked up. Nicholl played more for Saints than any other of his clubs, and won most of his 51 international caps whilst playing in the best Saints sides of all time.  This, before managing us in the top flight for six years.  Even for a self-obsessed club media that seems willing to virtue signal on any nonsense at the drop of a hat this is a genuine cock up. Let's hope a grown up rectifies the situation next home game.   

• Like 6