Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It can’t have been empty. All that black smoke must have come from something. A pile of car tyres or a source of fuel oil.

There were a load of old pallets present as well: pictures available of fork lift trucks moving them away from the main fire.

I just hope Saturday's game goes ahead otherwise we will be in the fixture mire.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Plastics apparently

No-one likes glory-hunting, team-switching, pretend footie fans. But incineration is a bit harsh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

In terms of re-arrangement, the Echo advises that the available fixture slots midweeks of the weeks commencing March 11, April 15, April 22 and April 29.

I would prefer we go for next week, April is already pretty full-on and we need to brace ourselves for the play-offs too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

In terms of re-arrangement, the Echo advises that the available fixture slots midweeks of the weeks commencing March 11, April 15, April 22 and April 29.

I would prefer we go for next week, April is already pretty full-on and we need to brace ourselves for the play-offs too.

Next week might be too quick a turnaround, logistically though. Would need to be announced today/tomorrow realistically. 

12 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

You can’t be a long time supporter. Many of us longer standing fans know this was the intended site of the monkey-chicken petting zoo.

I thought that’s where the princess towers were going?

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Can’t blame the club, they did everything to get the game in. The manager even pitched in to lend a hand. 

IMG_7757.jpeg

This is why we love you. Dogs and bones! Dead horse flogging!

As George Formby used to say "Keep it going until we get there!"

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SaintNewForest said:

Next week might be too quick a turnaround, logistically though. Would need to be announced today/tomorrow realistically. 

Could be done. Tickets have already been purchased etc so no problems with that. But yes you'd think it would need to be decided today. 

I think out of all the dates, next Wednesday would be the best for us.

Edited by Harry_SFC

5 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It can’t have been empty. All that black smoke must have come from something. A pile of car tyres or a source of fuel oil.

100,000 copies of Ralphs playbook, laminated and ready to be sold at premium prices. 

Plus Les Reeds black box tucked in the corner alongside a painting of a train. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Could be done. Tickets have already been purchased etc so no problems with that. But yes you'd think it would need to be decided today. 

I think out of all the dates, next Wednesday would be the best for us.

Absolutely not. 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

100,000 copies of Ralphs playbook, laminated and ready to be sold at premium prices. 

Plus Les Reeds black box tucked in the corner alongside a painting of a train. 

Ah. So it was an insurance job then ;)

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

How the hell did those wooden pallets right up against the building survive!?

_132859362_mediaitem132859357.jpg.webp

Wind blowing in the opposite direction?

Edited by trousers

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

How the hell did those wooden pallets right up against the building survive!?

_132859362_mediaitem132859357.jpg.webp

There was a forklift moving them whilst the fire brigade were hosing the fire.

3 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Greenhams apparently. They supply tools, materials etc to the building industry.

Greenhams have moved to a big new unit in boyatt wood so I doubt it’s anything to do with them any more. 

Martin said in his pre Sunderland presser that playing this fixture next week was Southampton FC and Southampton Police’s preference. However it isn’t Preston’s preference due to them playing Plymouth away next weekend and the time available for them to prepare. April is going to be busy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, east-stand-nic said:

Been thinking similar. Why can it not be played any of the upcoming midweeks?

Absolutely the preference, we wanted that - but PNE don't, as they play Plymouth next weekend so they didn't want the extra travel etc etc.

Bit shit really, as next week would have been absolutely perfect given that we don't have a game at the weekend and have a prolonged break. I said on another thread, to save PNE shit loads of travel, let them train at our place after the game, then they head off to Plymouth on the Friday. We won't need to train there as we'd be off until the end of the month, so we could provide the space.

What would they do if the football fixtures gave them Southampton away on a Wednesday and Plymouth away on a Saturday? Would they refuse that too?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

On 09/03/2024 at 08:55, goodymatt said:

Martin said in his pre Sunderland presser that playing this fixture next week was Southampton FC and Southampton Police’s preference. However it isn’t Preston’s preference due to them playing Plymouth away next weekend and the time available for them to prepare. April is going to be busy!

We had to play them away after playing at Hull 4 days earlier. They can get in the fucking bin! 

Edited by RedArmy
  • Like 1

Since when did an individual club have a veto on rearranged fixture dates? Yeah, sure each club can express an opinion on the reschedule date options but surely the final decision comes down to the Football League? Or am I misunderstanding how this kinda thing works?

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutely the preference, we wanted that - but PNE don't, as they play Plymouth next weekend so they didn't want the extra travel etc etc.

Bit shit really, as next week would have been absolutely perfect given that we don't have a game at the weekend and have a prolonged break. I said on another thread, to save PNE shit loads of travel, let them train at our place after the game, then they head off to Plymouth on the Friday. We won't need to train there as we'd be off until the end of the month, so we could provide the space.

What would they do if the football fixtures gave them Southampton away on a Wednesday and Plymouth away on a Saturday? Would they refuse that too?

Charter a plane from Blackpool to Southampton.  Simples.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs PNE - Rearranged 16th April 1945

crazy schedule now for April. Imagine if a team like Liverpool got given this for a PL run in, you'd never hear the end of it. Too many games now in such a short space of time, especially considering we probably need to win 8 from 10 to have a chance of automatics. Not much we can do now, but will need some perspective if we win a few then get battered 5-0 after some rotation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Got to love a wartime game, 79 years prior to today. Same day the Soviets began the Battle of Berlin in fact.

I did a double take as well. At least that solves the issue of fixture congestion though.

Maybe we plan on going to the EFL and asking that Preston forfeit the points as we've been waiting all those years and they still haven't shown up.

4 hours ago, Saint_Tony said:

crazy schedule now for April. Imagine if a team like Liverpool got given this for a PL run in, you'd never hear the end of it. Too many games now in such a short space of time, especially considering we probably need to win 8 from 10 to have a chance of automatics. Not much we can do now, but will need some perspective if we win a few then get battered 5-0 after some rotation.

I don't think it will be a big of an issue as some people think.

The three games we have on Tuesday, our opponents will also have played on the weekend. On the weekend games (assuming they stay on Saturday) we will have had 4 days between, which isn't so bad, means after recovery we still have a couple of days to prepare. If Martin uses the squad properly that can mitigate things as well, we have decent depth to rotate a little and still be strong.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

On the plus side, we are going to get some good news about Hitler in a couple of weeks.

don't ruin if for me please, 

Next minute you'll be giving the result of the war. 

FFS, I’ve had a season ticket throughout and every time I’m away I miss a load of matches, this one included 😞

I reckon that I will have seen about 10 out of 23 which is lousy value however you look at it ! Bollox, bollox, bollox 😿

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Andrew Watson said:

No game for 20 days and 8 games in April and I know the club are probably not to blame for the new date,however still unbelievable.

No reason why we couldn't have rearranged the PNE for this week (unless they get a veto on choice of dates?)

35 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I think you answered your own question Lord T.

So, if a team can veto (unchallenged) a potential rearranged date, why didn't we veto the April date that PNE favoured...? Given a choice, surely we'd have favoured this week? Ergo, why does PNE's preference trump ours...?