Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

Lighthouse

5 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

What was Martin thinking bringing him on? 

Probably Adams & Arma are both knackered and I need to keep them fit for the run in. Arma is hopeless in the middle. Who can I bring on...  failure of recruitment/luck with Ross Stewart's second injury. Aribo CDAJFU as a hold up striker, but of course he was blowing hard as well.

Maybe we'll see Dibling or SAA on the bench instead of Mara at some point?

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
additions

8 minutes ago, obelisk said:

The first goal looked like handball to me. Did Adams finally get to score with his arm or am I seeing things?

Nope you're not seeing things. Second looked like some handball in it too.

Edited by coalman

9 minutes ago, obelisk said:

The first goal looked like handball to me. Did Adams finally get to score with his arm or am I seeing things?

Looked a handball to me, so because of that the goal will never get taken away from KWP - if they did take it away from him, they'd have just allowed a handball goal by Adams.

Ref was shit I thought.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Looked a handball to me, so because of that the goal will never get taken away from KWP - if they did take it away from him, they'd have just allowed a handball goal by Adams.

Ref was shit I thought.

I thought a goal resulting from handball was always meant to be disallowed and a free kick given.  If so our first should have been disallowed and can only think the ref didn't spot the ball brushing Adams arm. That referee was hopeless - he blew for every slight touch and pretty well every time a player fell over.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Ref was shit I thought.

He was terrible. Booked their full back within the first five minutes, then let a shitload of fouls go that could have brought yellows for both teams.

33 minutes ago, obelisk said:

No, it took a big deflection of Adams' arm. Otherwise the goalkeeper would have saved it. But, as others have said, the officials now have to pretend that didn't happen or the goal shouldn't have been allowed. If that costs Coventry a playoff place, they'll have every right to feel they were robbed.

On the plus side, we tried a few long range shots instead of doing what we usually do and passing sideways. A lot of goals are scored via deflections, even by the very best teams.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

Did anyone else notice last night, KWP looked totally fucked from about 75 minutes on?

Most of the players look unfit, even by Championship standards, which is why we struggle to survive the last 20 minutes of games.

• Like 4

Just now, Nordic Saint said:

Most of the players look unfit, even by Championship standards, which is why we struggle to survive the last 20 minutes of games.

Was just surprised at KWP, he just looked really out of it last night, he normally looks one of the fittest to me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If they are going to do that, then they can't be pissing away 2-0 leads at Wednesday. 

That was a shocker of a result for them tonight, it's brought Preston and Cov right back into it. (Preston play Norwich at the weekend)

I’m hoping for Preston or Middlesborough in the semi of the playoffs as it is just down the road, but I cannot see this happening. I think it will be Leicester, Leeds or Ipswich 3rd, Saints 4th, WBA 5th and Norwich 6th. Pretty much top 6 as it is. Do not fancy a match outside of the weekend too Norwich or WBA! But would not mind any of those 2 in the final if we get there. 

23 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

Was just surprised at KWP, he just looked really out of it last night, he normally looks one of the fittest to me.

Yes - he needed to move quickly to close down their fullback deep in our half and could barely muster a slow jog over to the left.  We thought Smallbone looked equally gone at the hour mark.  There was a couple of quick breaks down their left this time in the second half and, again, he was jogging back.  Not that he'd be quick when at full pace in the first minute of a match.  As someone said earlier, I thought we'd been told that chasing the ball all day leaves our opposition tired hence loads of late goals......?? 

25 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

I do not think he is fully fit after getting robbed of the ball from behind on Saturday. Went off shortly after and I was surprised to see him start last night. Glad he did though. It is going to be tough to manage the amount of games we have this month, as we are looking leggy. Then we go straight into the playoffs! Probably. 

4 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Yes - he needed to move quickly to close down their fullback deep in our half and could barely muster a slow jog over to the left.  We thought Smallbone looked equally gone at the hour mark.  There was a couple of quick breaks down their left this time in the second half and, again, he was jogging back.  Not that he'd be quick when at full pace in the first minute of a match.  As someone said earlier, I thought we'd been told that chasing the ball all day leaves our opposition tired hence loads of late goals......?? 

If this is the case at this stage of the season it could fatigue. To be far our play this season has made us look fatigued most the time. To work on fitness now at this stage of the season and the amount of games we have coming up would only lead to injuries though if they are fatigued. 

Shoukd have sent them (before international duty) away in sun for a complete break, rather than overthinking tactics and practice on training ground) a break would have been better for them. 

Edited by Dr Who?

34 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

In his defence he may not be fully match fit - he's missed games through injury, been dropped and then there was the 3 week break. Think he needs games to get back up to his normal levels.

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

In his defence he may not be fully match fit - he's missed games through injury, been dropped and then there was the 3 week break. Think he needs games to get back up to his normal levels.

Could be, but that would never be recognised by the wise ones on this forum who insist "play your best team" as if the players were all automatons.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

That first half was really good. Amazing what happens when players play in the positions they're used to. Solid Back 4. None of this roving JS nonsense.

Did you miss the first goal when Stephens stepped into midfield and then passed to a full back who was ahead of him in the middle of the pitch?

KWP spent a bit of time in midfield last night as one of the full backs often does. It was maybe less than some other games but we tweak tactics between matches a lot.

• Like 5

I think Mara's cameo sub appearence was one of the most pathetic I've seen in many a year. No effort, no commitment, nothing, just wandered around aimlessly.

I dont know why he continues to pick him, he needs a fkin good haricut and be told to pull his bloody finger out !! 

• Like 5

What is it people in football have against long hair? My son used to get loads of comments about his when he played.

Maybe people weirdly think that players can only perform well with a certain type of hair? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nordic Saint said:

Struck me at the final whistle how many of our players instantly were bent over or down on their haunches like they had run a marathon.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Did you miss the first goal when Stephens stepped into midfield and then passed to a full back who was ahead of him in the middle of the pitch?

KWP spent a bit of time in midfield last night as one of the full backs often does. It was maybe less than some other games but we tweak tactics between matches a lot.

To be fair if he was 'watching' on Sky, he may well have missed it, I did plus about 20 minutes more. What I couldn't fathom was that through their break the score and time were updating. Then when the visuals came back the sound went (which was a mixed blessing given the commentator kept mixing up Aribo and KWP (How?) and liked playing the game of 'name the last player to have the ball instead of the current player' (which is actually quite difficult to do). Perhaps they watch the game on a delayed feed. Never any apology or mention of the technical difficulties, Sky made themselves look rank amateurs last night.

KWP spent a lot of time in midfield last night (at least the bits I saw), playing the role Manning played earlier in the season and Stephens has done quite effectively too, KWP was certainly not playing the standard LB role (and once or twice briefly swapped sides with Bree). 

Edited by VectisSaint
Typo

44 minutes ago, The Cat said:

What is it people in football have against long hair? My son used to get loads of comments about his when he played.

Maybe people weirdly think that players can only perform well with a certain type of hair? 

Never did Georgie Best (or Frank Worthington) any harm 😉

To be frank I don't think the 'length' of Mara's hair is the problem, hence the references to Valderama.

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

I’m hoping for Preston or Middlesborough in the semi of the playoffs as it is just down the road, but I cannot see this happening. I think it will be Leicester, Leeds or Ipswich 3rd, Saints 4th, WBA 5th and Norwich 6th. Pretty much top 6 as it is. Do not fancy a match outside of the weekend too Norwich or WBA! But would not mind any of those 2 in the final if we get there. 

If we finish 4th our games will both be midweek, away leg Monday May 13th, home leg Friday May 17th 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Aribo’s improvement from a useless slow jogger to a good dynamic midfielder seemed to coincide with him shaving off all his hair! Maybe Mara should give it a try. 

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I think Mara's cameo sub appearence was one of the most pathetic I've seen in many a year. No effort, no commitment, nothing, just wandered around aimlessly.

I dont know why he continues to pick him, he needs a fkin good haricut and be told to pull his bloody finger out !! 

Problem is, when he came on the pitch for his nap, I didn't see any Romeu type characters having a go. I think we really lack a few steely hard knocks that can get the rest to pull up their socks and earn their £20k or so for the 20 mins on the pitch. It's nice to be friends and all that, but you're paid to get on with it and win ... half heartedness shouldn't be tolerated.

I think a Souness or Keane type would do wonders with some of these overpaid, underperforming kids. 

I realise that's hard to get that going with the walking possesion based football we seem to love, but there has to be a better way.

Edited by Dragon_man
  • Like 2

Having seen the highlights of last night's game, am I the only one that thinks the first goal should be credited to Adams (as it came off him last) and that the KWP strike was probably going wide ..  and it came off Adams' raised arm therefore it should have been disallowed with a free kick to Coventry?

The ref was in a great position to see this, but fortunately he was so crap that he ignored it. 

7 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Having seen the highlights of last night's game, am I the only one that thinks the first goal should be credited to Adams (as it came off him last) and that the KWP strike was probably going wide ..  and it came off Adams' raised arm therefore it should have been disallowed with a free kick to Coventry?

The ref was in a great position to see this, but fortunately he was so crap that he ignored it. 

Adams celebrated. Give him the goal his clinical finishing deserves 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

I agree, I don't think either of those will do it. PNE have the best chance as they have to play Norwich, which could reel them right in, but PNE blow so much hot and cold it's crazy - so they've got some other shockers in their locker before the season is out I'm sure.

I think it'll be as is - WBA and Norwich in 5th and 6th. Leicester have collapsed to a degree, but they'd need to continue collapsing if they were to fall into the playoffs IMO. I reckon it'll be Ipswich or Leeds.

We just need to focus on (what I believe) will be the two WBA games first!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Struck me at the final whistle how many of our players instantly were bent over or down on their haunches like they had run a marathon.

I was a little surprised at that too. Maybe teams are actually just standing around saving energy, while we pass it around to get that 70% possession stat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At the game last night I thought the Smallbone disallowed goal was the correct decision but having just looked at the replay when the ball is played back across by Downes , Adams is off the pitch. I thought you couldnt be offside if you are out of play . When Adams plays the ball back to Smallbone there are 3 Coventry players on the line so surely he couldnt be offside then . 

Then again I might talking complete bo"£$cks

33 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

At the game last night I thought the Smallbone disallowed goal was the correct decision but having just looked at the replay when the ball is played back across by Downes , Adams is off the pitch. I thought you couldnt be offside if you are out of play . When Adams plays the ball back to Smallbone there are 3 Coventry players on the line so surely he couldnt be offside then . 

At the time I thought it must be tight as looked like Cov had a couple of defenders on the line playing him onside , hard to tell in real time, need to draw some lines 

21 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Valderama again failing to cover himself in glory. France U21 striker yet jogs about as if its pre season warm up game, while all around him seasoned pros are sprinting and chasing down all that they can. Their shot that Bazunu got hands too came down the left; you could hear someone on our bench shouting at Mara to pull his finger out, but he didn't which allowed the through ball. Had he run at full pace he would have cut it out easily. 

Shit like this must be so frustrating for the coaching team

You have to wonder why they keep putting him in the side?

Edozie must have done something seriously wrong in training for Mara to get the nod ahead of him...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

he needs a fkin good haricut

the Daniel Passarella approach. Like it, but personally I'd turn a blind eye if it meant we fielded this lot

Rene Hiuita
David Luiz, Puyol, Gullit, Marcelo
Keegan, Valderama,  Fellaini, George Berry
Baggio, Batistuta, Ronaldinho

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sad saints fan said:

An attacker off the pitch is considered as being on the goal line for the purposes of offside. At the game I thought that Che was actually right on the goal line.

Although Coventry did not complain about either goal,I thought there was a touch of handball with both goals. As for the second goal Adams had no idea where the ball was and did his best to miss an open goal with his head before fortunately hooking the ball in from a yard with his right foot. The man is a total liability in front of goal.

9 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

Although Coventry did not complain about either goal,I thought there was a touch of handball with both goals. As for the second goal Adams had no idea where the ball was and did his best to miss an open goal with his head before fortunately hooking the ball in from a yard with his right foot. The man is a total liability in front of goal.

Thought I'd check his stats.

12 goals in 34 championship games.

20 starts, 9 goals.

14 subs, 3 goals.

For comparison, when we signed him from Brum, he had just scored 22 in 46 games. 

43 starts, 22 goals.

3 subs, 1 goal.

If we'd played him up front in every game this season, does he get enough goals to counter the 'liability in front of goal'?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Why cannot some people just enjoy the fact that we won the game and not lay into a young player who needs encouragement not criticism.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, The Cat said:

Funny that, it's exactly the opposite in women's football!

But in Mara's case let alone the extra weight I'm sure it's impacting his peripheral vision and proprioception, although him getting caught from behind on Tuesday night might just have been laziness and lack of awareness..

• Like 1

Just a thought about the Coventry penalty.

Presumably it would have been ruled out if the ball had gone in the net ie a double touch?

I guess we got away with one when Arma did exactly the same at the Northam end a few games back and the goal was given.

1 minute ago, spyinthesky said:

Presumably it would have been ruled out if the ball had gone in the net ie a double touch?

I guess we got away with one when Arma did exactly the same at the Northam end a few games back and the goal was given.

Was it clearly a double touch? His standing foot slipped when he kicked the ball but other than that I thought it was a clean strike.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Was it clearly a double touch? His standing foot slipped when he kicked the ball but other than that I thought it was a clean strike.

Same. I know it was given as a double touch by the ref but I didn’t pick it up in the replays. Nobody seemed to argue with the decision though so maybe it was.

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Why cannot some people just enjoy the fact that we won the game and not lay into a young player who needs encouragement not criticism.

Because for some reason we need to moan and need a target for this. 
We would probably all go crazy if it was a perfect world supporting Saints. Nothing to moan about? Nooooooooo.........

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Given the ref gave a free kick for it you would expect that to be the case. But we will never know.

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Thought I'd check his stats.

12 goals in 34 championship games.

20 starts, 9 goals.

14 subs, 3 goals.

For comparison, when we signed him from Brum, he had just scored 22 in 46 games. 

43 starts, 22 goals.

3 subs, 1 goal.

If we'd played him up front in every game this season, does he get enough goals to counter the 'liability in front of goal'?

Excellent research! A goal every other game is good going. 

I personally think he is at his peak at this level - you cannot argue against that he scores every other game when starting as per brum and saints championship stats.

IF we go up then either RS needs be good v quick or a new CF will be required. In any case a back up CF needs recruiting. 

On the other hand if we dont go up and nobody else in epl buys him Che is almost a given for 1 in 2 in this league so I’d vote try keep him. 

Edited by gio1saints

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Excellent research! A goal every other game is good going. 

I personally think he is at his peak at this level - you cannot argue against that he scores every other game when starting as per brum and saints championship stats.

IF we go up then either RS needs be good v quick or a new CF will be required. In any case a back up CF needs recruiting. 

On the other hand if we dont go up and nobody else in epl buys him Che is almost a given for 1 in 2 in this league so I’d vote try keep him. 

The two goals from the other night should have been disallowed for handball. He gets in great positions but I don't think I can remember a Saints centre forward I have less confidence in finding the back of the net when he finds himself with just the keeper to beat. I have sat watching hoping that now is the time he's going to come good but am resigned to it not happening. Rumour has it he's already signed for another team and all the best to the lad. He always put in a shift. Just think Saints can or should do better up top.

In total agreement with Coalman,Adams is not an instinctive finisher as I and many others on here have said. Chez and Gio1saints are perfectly entitled to their opinions which is what a forum is for,a very good friend of mine who played a decent standard in the seventies and eighties says Adams is one of the worst finishers he has ever seen,his overall Saints average is under 1 goal every 4 games. Hardly a world beater but everyone to there own.