Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Think people need to stop with the what ifs. Yeah, we know if we'd beaten Boro, Ipswich and Blackburn then we'd be 2 points off Leeds and a point ahead of Ipswich after tonight's result.

If you keep thinking about ifs, then you'll go stir-fucking crazy.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

But only because the teams above us have also lost games they should’ve won. Ipswich lost a game they were winning in the 94th minute, Leicester lost against Millwall and QPR, Leeds have just failed to score at home to a very sub-standard Sunderland.

Exactly. People only bang on about points we have dropped while forgetting that teams above us have similarly managed to not win games they should comfortably have.

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Martins subs continue to irritate the hell out of me though. Mara? Wtf was that all about.

Valderama again failing to cover himself in glory. France U21 striker yet jogs about as if its pre season warm up game, while all around him seasoned pros are sprinting and chasing down all that they can. Their shot that Bazunu got hands too came down the left; you could hear someone on our bench shouting at Mara to pull his finger out, but he didn't which allowed the through ball. Had he run at full pace he would have cut it out easily. 

Shit like this must be so frustrating for the coaching team

• Like 5

Job done. Nearly did our usual thing of gazing into the mouth of any gift horse we can find, but deserved to win.

I guess there’s still the thinnest of chances of automatic promotion given results elsewhere. But damn it’s very thin, for sure.

Phew. Without the benefit of replays all 3 goals weren't exactly slick and theirs certainly looked avoidable. We were much better than them. It's just that cushion that escapes us, tonight from 2 to 3 nil or to 3-1 after they scored. First 20 minutes of the 2nd half we had so much of the ball in their final third. Got to score in those periods of a match. 

Arma for his anagram is not a good plan. 

I thought we played pretty well in the first half, I don't think 3-0 would have been unfair as we certainly had the best of the game. Somewhat fortunate with both goals it has to be said, but still deserved.

Cov were always going to get better, and they did, a bit huff and puff from them but they did get the goal their 2nd half deserved. They're a decent side so I don't think you should ever expect this to be an easy win.

The pen they didn't score was justice - the softest pen ever, I thought they were actually debating it and he was going to speak to his assistant but obviously not - crap decision had been made. 

I thought Adams had a good game, and so did Aribo. He gives us a real presence in midfield and he's really hard to get off the ball when he has it, some of his attempted through balls - if they had come off - would have been worldie assists, he's got a lot to offer in that advanced CM role. Certainly MTOM for me.

My concerns over Brooks remain though, he looks like an individual in a team - doesn't seem to be on the same wave lengths at all, just looks a little off it. He won't be getting into Bournemouth's team any time soon if he carries on playing like this.

Mara was simply a waste of time when he came on. I hope we ship him off in the summer as I really cannot be arsed to watch him struggle around anymore. 

Onto the next one, need to turn up against Watford as we did in the FA Cup game. I think we'll confirm our playoff place at the weekend, if it's not confirmed already (think we need just 1 point?)

• Like 7

Well 3 points and a building block. Win the next 2 home games, and this time next week ‘could’ look a bit different at the top. I’m still thinking playoffs, but if we hit some serious form and gain confidence we will stand a better chance in the playoffs. 🤞 

Good win. Some of our play in the first half was sensational, just lacked that person to get on the end of it. Two shit goals scored but who cares.

Hopefully we can push on and get two more home wins to make things a little bit more interesting, especially if we're closer to Leicester than we are now when we go up there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I’m still thinking playoffs, but if we hit some serious form and gain confidence we will stand a better chance in the playoffs. 🤞 

Its not inconceivable that Norwich could overtake WBA and claim 5th place...........

48 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Bree has had a good game. I like the guy - he gets scraps but always shows up

He did play well.    I was thinking it preferable Bree at LB, KWP on the right - yet the creative work KWP and Aribo came up with probably justified Martin's decision.    Good too that we had two CBs in their correct positions.

A bit of hanging on at 2-1, yet you'd have to say a deserved win.   Usual suspects played well - Downes outstanding, THB, KWP also good, but Aribo's game, particularly the first 70 minutes was outstanding.  He is just the creative player we need in the play offs to unlock a defence in a tight game.

• Like 2

One day we'll play well across a full 90, that day was not today. Really good in the first half, untouchable at times, but dismal and complacent in the second half, giving Coventry something to cling to with their goal. Could understand the poor second halves under Hasenhuttl, the players had used all their energy in the first halves under him, but with these tactics everyone kept saying the opposition would eventually tire from us keeping the ball, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Feared another Middlesbrough at the end.

Onto the positives, Aribo was really good, especially in the first half. Coventry couldn't get the ball off him in the first half and couldn't understand why the Coventry player wasn't booked for a deliberate pull back after Aribo beat him all ends up, but the ref did seem to favour Coventry this evening. Glad the player who initiated the contact with Bazunu in the second half went off injured, karma. Scrappy goals to score, but we'll take them. Even with the autos pretty much out of our sights now we still need to keep winning so that we can go into the play offs with momentum and a good feeling. Coventry aren't a bad team either, beaten Leicester and Leeds in the last few months and are chasing down a play off spot in 7th, so could have easily slipped up to a team that wants it tonight, good professionalism.

Major negative, Sekou Mara. What a waste of a sub, one of the worst performances I've seen.

4 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

Its not inconceivable that Norwich could overtake WBA and claim 5th place...........

If they are going to do that, then they can't be pissing away 2-0 leads at Wednesday. 

That was a shocker of a result for them tonight, it's brought Preston and Cov right back into it. (Preston play Norwich at the weekend)

3 minutes ago, austsaint said:

He did play well.    I was thinking it preferable Bree at LB, KWP on the right - yet the creative work KWP and Aribo came up with probably justified Martin's decision.    Good too that we had two CBs in their correct positions.

A bit of hanging on at 2-1, yet you'd have to say a deserved win.   Usual suspects played well - Downes outstanding, THB, KWP also good, but Aribo's game, particularly the first 70 minutes was outstanding.  He is just the creative player we need in the play offs to unlock a defence in a tight game.

I thought it may have been taller Bree against the tall  Wright on that side allowing WP to bomb on .

Coventry over complacent bring g on the 12 year old left back he was even smaller than Larios!

• Like 1

Weird game. Will take the result but it was a very Saintsy performance. Should’ve really killed it off but did our best to gift them a way back in. So many times our final ball was the wrong one, chipped floaty nonsense rather than picking someone out or a cross/shot to nobody. 

Really likes Big Joe’s performance, always looking forward and unpredictable. Him, KWP and Arma caused havoc down the left first half and I thought we should’ve tried to target their LB more in the 2nd half as he was on a booking from early on. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, gammon cheeks said:

Aribo class ..Downes class  ..Stew Armstrong in for Smallbone and the middle 3 is sorted . Don't see the point of Mara on the wing ..lazy player 

I don't see the point of Smallbone. He's okayish but nowhere near being in our best starting XI.

• Like 1

Having been tonight I have to say we’ve absolutely superb in that first half. We were brilliant. Coventry weren’t great but we absolutely dominated. 
There isn’t one player in that starting team that I can say a bad word about.

Right onto the second half. Lots more chances but again it comes down to a lack of taking them, Che Adams and Adam Armstrong both with golden opportunities.

Inveitably a lapse in concentration, one cross and a tap in. All that said, after weathering the five minutes after the goal I didn’t feel like Coventry were getting anything from this.

My only critique aside from us killing off the game sooner is Sekou Mara.
Quite simply, what the f*** does this “footballer” bring to the team?
He shouldn’t be anywhere near the match day eighteen. The bloke looks like one of the most uninterested and lazy players I’ve seen. So many lapses in concentration and no real sense of urgency.

MOTM could’ve been anyone from Aribo, Adams, KWP, Downes - superb performance all round.

It’s very easy now to pipe up with the “what ifs” but just take it one game at a time. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy the win.

Then we go again!

• Like 4

Would happily never see Mara play again after that cameo. Just on the pitch but jogging about and not giving a fuck. As soon as he came on, he had the ball at feet with miles of space ahead of him to drive into, but nothing. No desire to close down either, get rid asap 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Sekou Mara has always been shite.

nothing new there

And Russ said in his presser that only those who are committed and going to run, will get in the side 🤡 

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

And Russ said in his presser that only those who are committed and going to run, will get in the side 🤡 

Yet Ezozie who scored at Coventry and looked dangerous Saturday got 0 mins. The subs were mad bring on Fraser to cross the ball take off Adams and AdamA bring on Mara who went lumbered up the right and Stu goes to centre forward!!

Great we brought on Charles been saying that for a while have Downes Charles as solid midfield platform.

Think we should go 4-2-3-1 at times under cosh but we won’t.

Worst sub since Lemina at Wembley was Mara

• Like 3

Looked much better for having 2 proper full backs and a midfield That wasn’t confused by a centre back playing on the left trying to step into it.

some great stuff played with the usual late wobble but saw it out.

Bree deserves a mention, thought he put in a real full blooded performance. And yes Mara is a massive waste of a shirt.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yet Ezozie who scored at Coventry and looked dangerous Saturday got 0 mins. The subs were mad bring on Fraser to cross the ball take off Adams and AdamA bring on Mara who went lumbered up the right and Stu goes to centre forward!!

Great we brought on Charles been saying that for a while have Downes Charles as solid midfield platform.

Think we should go 4-2-3-1 at times under cosh but we won’t.

Worst sub since Lemina at Wembley was Mara

I was wondering whether Russ got Mara mixed up with Edozie!    Similar hair styles at the moment.     If Mara was to be brought on, it had to be in place of Adams - he just can't play that wide right role.  Will surely be moved on in the Summer.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Big shout out tonight for James Bree, cool and composed and doing his defensive duties perfectly. We seem to have a player there. Otherwise a good win against a decent side but a few of our lads clearly can't last for more than 45 minutes so our second half performance is almost inevitably a let down. Keep ball is supposed to tire the opposition not us! Brooks and Fraser failed to impress again tonight, how many chances do they get?

Mara's total lack of interest suggests that he knows he's off at the end of the season.

Not sure how Aribo was MotM but if you leave the choice to the populist vote, that's what you get…  Trump, Johnson etc.

THB for me by a country mile. We must keep this lad at all cost.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Big shout out tonight for James Bree, cool and composed and doing his defensive duties perfectly. We seem to have a player there. Otherwise a good win against a decent side but a few of our lads clearly can't last for more than 45 minutes so our second half performance is almost inevitably a let down. Keep ball is supposed to tire the opposition not us! Brooks and Fraser failed to impress again tonight, how many chances do they get?

Mara's total lack of interest suggests that he knows he's off at the end of the season.

Not sure how Aribo was MotM but if you leave the choice to the populist vote, that's what you get…  Trump, Johnson etc.

I thought Aribo’s MOTM was justified. He’s one of the very few who will pick up the ball and drive forward rather than playing safe. He really gave them something to think about and started lots of good moves. I worried when him and Adams went off - sacrificing that physicality 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 11

35 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

I don't see the point of Smallbone. He's okayish but nowhere near being in our best starting XI.

Our best 3 are Downes, Aribo and S.Armstrong. This was shown when they dominated the Ipswich midfield the other week. 

• Like 6

Another game where we really should have been more relaxed at the end, but the start of OWTSGMI 5 minutes from the end was a sign of the crowd's confidence that Cov wouldn't score again. The crowd was also right in making Aribo MoM as he made things happen and was really putting in an effort too, although THB was strong in defence. Nobody looked out of place in that team except perhaps Brooks, who doesn't seem to be performing as well as we have seen before; didn't he play more centrally for Bourneouth? Some wayward passing at times, but that may partly be explained by over-ambition and a bit of over-confidence, which is certainly better than the alternative!

I called Mara coming on before it happened but not in the position he played. He's a lot stronger than he used to be but that seems to be combined with less motivation, if that were possible. I really would like to see Dibling and SAA have a chance; perhaps when we're 3-0 up in a game...

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Eh? Aribo was brilliant tonight, clear MOTM. THB was good though.

11 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

That first half was really good. Amazing what happens when players play in the positions they're used to. Solid Back 4. None of this roving JS nonsense. Even AA looked good again.

Can't work out if Mara is incompetent or lazy. That bit when he was caught from behind as he slowly dribbled the ball out was comical. His hair is so massive he can't see behind him! And what was he doing on the wing anyway? RM being too clever again, or genuinely confused by the haircuts and thought he was sending on Edozie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Well I don't think Aribo was brilliant either. He did some remarkably good things but overall it was his usual curate's egg of a performance. It was definitely one of his better performances but I would have put Downes, THB, or even Che above him as MOTM

• Like 1

7 hours ago, austsaint said:

I was wondering whether Russ got Mara mixed up with Edozie!    Similar hair styles at the moment.     If Mara was to be brought on, it had to be in place of Adams - he just can't play that wide right role.  Will surely be moved on in the Summer.

Martin hasn’t seen him wide yet though so had to put him out there !!! Wtf… Martin goes round and round in circles with putting players out of position AA being another prime example at CF…. We won’t even mention the Stephens ‘circle’ Odd…. Martin just doesn’t seem to able to stop himself trying to be too clever which is proving to be more and more of a heavy weight we have to overcome to win games.

Apart from Bazunu and AA nobody has a clue who is playing where for any game and one thing it ain’t is ‘clever’

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Valderama again failing to cover himself in glory. France U21 striker yet jogs about as if its pre season warm up game, while all around him seasoned pros are sprinting and chasing down all that they can. Their shot that Bazunu got hands too came down the left; you could hear someone on our bench shouting at Mara to pull his finger out, but he didn't which allowed the through ball. Had he run at full pace he would have cut it out easily. 

He’s an absolute disgrace. Has been his whole time here. 

What was Martin thinking bringing him on? 

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

Just looking at the last page on the way back to the car. Why would anyone say he was shit? He had a good game.

Thought we played pretty well overall. Created enough chances to make it comfortable and then really limited them to only one real shot on target.

The penalty decision was laughable, could see it wasn't one from the other end of the ground.

Agree, I'd say Brooks should have scored at least one and we could have been out of sight. 

Invited trouble a bit at times trying to be clever but overall decent performance 

I thought Coventry were a good side and probably loudest away fans we've had at St Mary's for a while, good effort from them. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Definitely his best performance for us, transformed player from last season and now a crucial element of our team. 

• Like 4

Against teams that try to pass us off the pitch we usually have an excellent chance of competing - and in this league it’s almost 100% of the time - because we are usually better at it than them. 

Against teams that are not interested in out passing us but rather in STOPPING us playing and then feed off what scraps arise we have struggled this season.

Bottom line is that it’s easier to destroy than to create. And Saints refusal to adjust approach this season is the reason we continue to be beatable or draw-able against even versus supposedly inferior teams. 

The matches we’ve drawn in particular to well organised but essentially anti-football playing teams has been the most frustrating part of the season for many fans. Our apparent refusal to compromise tactically regarded as a weakness by many fans here. 

It IS a weakness when we get found out as too often already this season - the argument goes “why can’t we play a more direct style more often if it’s going to be more effective against certain opponents at certain times?” But it is also, ultimately, a sign of strength. A sign that Saints are not playing for the small prizes but the very biggest. Surviving and thriving in the EPL for the long term. Trying to create a footballing dynasty to emulate the Man City’s of this world but on a smaller budget. 

But then again, anyone who has ever dared to dream big will always always get shot down because nay saying and criticising is just so very easy. Creating innovating and persisting with the courage of one’s convictions even in adversity and especially in adversity is so desperately unfashionable for todays instant gratification world. 

Keep trying to play beautiful football Saints, keep learning, keep humble and don’t give up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

But then again, anyone who has ever dared to dream big will always always get shot down because nay saying and criticising is just so very easy. Creating innovating and persisting with the courage of one’s convictions even in adversity and especially in adversity is so desperately unfashionable for todays instant gratification world. 

Jesus wept.

We're just an incredibly well financed/well resourced football team stuttering and bimbling our way to the play offs, leaking goals for fun.

We're not Leonardo Da Vinci inventing the helicopter.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

He didn't look on it at all. Though by the time we'd brought him on Saints were back to walking football and we didn't bring him on in his natural position. He's always looked rubbish when he's come on as a winger.

• Like 2

Much better with proper full backs ..much more  balanced play I thought .

Coventry fans were brilliant " Twist and Shout " loved it ! So many songs from them . Apart from Aribos song and Stewart Armstrongs we don't have a lot that's a bit different to be honest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Keep trying to play beautiful football Saints, keep learning, keep humble and don’t give up. 

I only thought we were just trying to beat Millwall....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

I only thought we were just trying to beat Millwall....

Yup that’s right. But that does not mean that trying to get promoted is excluded. Nor does it mean that surving in the EPL is excluded. Neither is thriving in the EPL excluded. 

The current set up way of playing style playbook etc is aimed on that holistic set of targets. That’s the theory. Putting it into practice effectively is the difficult part. 

Sacking the manager binning the coaching team and changing half the squad cos it did not work one year is what everyone does. But there’s only very few clubs win the trophies - and the rest are by definition also rans. 

For many years we were very effective at being also rans in the first division and then EPL. And our attempt at automatic from this lower league is probably going to fail - so it’s a total disaster right? 

BUT this Manager this team this club are trying to defy the prevailing paradigm that only a select few get to win everything,  every year. Our attitude and irrespective approach to that is something to be proud of irrespective of results. If we goup it’s not to become also rans yet again. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

From what scraps of the game Sky was able to show I was pleased to see KWP once moret aking on players and beating  them.

Judging from posts on here we payed very well first half. I thought Aribo was a collussus in midfeild.

A decent performance and much needed win. We were very comfortable at 2-0 but naively allowed the Coventry keeper to skim a long pass to an unmarked player in midfield. That should never happen in any game at this level and it led to their goal and a few nervous moments. Overall though a good team performance and again emphasises the damage done by only gaining 2 points from the previous 3 games. As others have said Mara was a complete waste of time and we have better players more deserving of a place on the bench and minutes on the pitch. He just does not seem to have any zip about him and is still relatively weak so easily knocked off the ball. 

Almost mathematically certain of playoffs now (not that there was much doubt).

Given up on top 2 - if it happens then great but more interested in how the playoffs will shake up now and that looks like Norwich or West Brom - right now I'd take West Brom.