Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

On 21/04/2024 at 14:55, saintant said:

Can't see us winning this one after screwing up yesterday as players will be in the wrong mindset. A win yesterday and I'd have fancied us. Downes will probably not play due to his 'slight knock' and with Stu also out the midfield will be weak.  Limp towards the play-offs and I hope we'll give ourselves a fighting chance come the second leg at St Marys. If we make it to Wembley it's about performing on the big day rather than bottling it and we'll likely need a slice of luck.

I would not risk Downes. Auto's are gone. We should now be bringing in Charles and SAA and Dibling etc., to see what they can do with the play offs in mind.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I would not risk Downes. Auto's are gone. We should now be bringing in Charles and SAA and Dibling etc., to see what they can do with the play offs in mind.

And next season in this division.

Potentially two promotion parties to endure and have rammed down our throats, wish I had some confidence with us in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Sounds like Russ isn't going to risk Downes for this game based on his pre match press conference comments just now. 

Another of what RM describes as a slight knock then Downes doesn't play for several games. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tisspahars said:

You can react with all the confused faces you like Turkish (😉) but it is a fact - in that scenario, in the real world of cold, hard cash rather than the la la land of this forum, Saints would be clear favourites.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

What about the la-la land of them being seven points clear of us and top two right now?

and have beaten us home and away already this season

How would saints be clear favourites?

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Might be two promotion parties we go to this season, Leicester and Leeds on the final day. Always the bridesmaid etc ... 

three if we lose the play off final too

no club does failure quite as well as we do

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Sounds like Russ isn't going to risk Downes for this game based on his pre match press conference comments just now. 

Yep that’s how read it. Obviously could be wrong,but it sounds that he is saving him and ensuring he’s 100% or as near as possible for the play offs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Back to the old "He`s Close" bullshit again I expect

More of the stupid inclusion of Smallbone as holding midfielder 🙄

• Like 3

We all know Smallbone is weak as piss and doesn't track his runner.

So, please don't shoe horn him into a holding midfield role, Martin.

Charles to come in and get some experience for the next 3.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dman said:

How on earth have you come to the conclusion that we would be favoritues against a side which have; 1. beaten us twice 2. finished above us comfortably. 

Because I gamble for a living and understand how these things work - if you don't think we would be favourites in this scenario and fancy a wager on it, name your price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Because I gamble for a living and understand how these things work - if you don't think we would be favourites in this scenario and fancy a wager on it, name your price.

I'd like to be your bookie!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

Yep that’s how read it. Obviously could be wrong,but it sounds that he is saving him and ensuring he’s 100% or as near as possible for the play offs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Makes sense not to risk him if he's not 100% for what is now just a dead rubber.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tisspahars said:

sounds like an addiction mate. When the fun stops, stop. 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

If Downes is out, play fucking Charles please Martin you absolute Wally. 

Stop trying to shoehorn 8s into the 6 position FFS 

You would think the idiot would know that by now!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tisspahars said:

Not only would Ipswich not be "massive favourites", they wouldn't be favourites at all - we would, and clearly.

Um, no. But swap their manager with our plonker and then I’d agree. 

It was peak Saints to claw our way back from a massive deficit only a month ago, to within touching distance of the autos, only to piss it all down the toilet on the easiest game of our final four.

My bet on how this plays out:

1. we'll beat Leicester, just to get everyone's last scrap of hope up again

2. morale boosting demolition of Stoke

3. we'll hammer Leeds in the first half, missing a host of chances, and then cock it all up at the death

I'd love to be confident, but this team is so hot/cold this year.

• Like 2

Pressure completely off now, 4th place in the bag, don't risk any more injuries. 

Looks a home banker to me. 

How many of out 3300 sold tickets will actually turn up? 

Following the Leeds result tonight, which finally snuffed out the faintest of hopes remaining for auto-promotion, I agree with those intimating that we should now look to protect our key players ahead of the play-offs.

Whilst I get the converse argument, i.e. that we should continue to play our best players so that we can build up some momentum in the lead up to the play offs, I still think resting/protecting players outweighs the benefits of any such 'momentum' (the latter approach could also backfire if we were to have poor results whilst playing our playoff team...)

So, I'd go with something along these lines...

McCarthy

Bree - Stephens - Bednarek - Meghoma

Charles 

Smallbone - Rothwell

Edozie - Dibling - Amo-Ameyaw 

Subs: Lumley, Manning, KWP, THB, Bragg, Brooks, A.Armstrong, Fraser, Adams

Shoot me down! :)

6 hours ago, trousers said:

Following the Leeds result tonight, which finally snuffed out the faintest of hopes remaining for auto-promotion, I agree with those intimating that we should now look to protect our key players ahead of the play-offs.

Whilst I get the converse argument, i.e. that we should continue to play our best players so that we can build up some momentum in the lead up to the play offs, I still think resting/protecting players outweighs the benefits of any such 'momentum' (the latter approach could also backfire if we were to have poor results whilst playing our playoff team...)

McCarthy

Charles 

Smallbone - Rothwell

Reckon we’d get absolutely annihilated playing that side. The ball would never stick up top and we’d continue to play “our style” messing about with it at the back until Vardy scores a hat trick.

I get the idea of saving players but they could just as easily get hurt in training and going into the playoffs on the back of several defeats (with our seemingly mentally weak players) would be  putting ourselves in a negative mindset from the start.

Really can’t excited about tonight’s game after yet another capitulation against Cardiff has sealed our place in the play offs. 

Even if we do by some miracle win tonight we’ll only be doing Leeds and Ipswich a favour.

And I really don’t fancy us to beat anyone in the play offs over the two legs given our weak mentality that seems to have remain unchanged for as long as I can remember now.

If only we had the ‘never know when you’re beaten’ mentality of Ipswich we’d have won the league a month ago.

And in any event, a quick glance at the bottom 3 of the Prem tells you that actually going up won’t be much fun anyway. Gone are the days of a team like Brighton, Brentford and Villa etc going up and doing well.

6 minutes ago, WGC Saint said:

Really can’t excited about tonight’s game after yet another capitulation against Cardiff has sealed our place in the play offs. 

Even if we do by some miracle win tonight we’ll only be doing Leeds and Ipswich a favour.

And I really don’t fancy us to beat anyone in the play offs over the two legs given our weak mentality that seems to have remain unchanged for as long as I can remember now.

If only we had the ‘never know when you’re beaten’ mentality of Ipswich we’d have won the league a month ago.

And in any event, a quick glance at the bottom 3 of the Prem tells you that actually going up won’t be much fun anyway. Gone are the days of a team like Brighton, Brentford and Villa etc going up and doing well.

Saints also went up and did well a few years ago. Not with this squad though

Next season for the love of God can we sign another player in the similar mould to Romeu..... 

Forget the youth policy 

Get someone in experienced and with a bit of aggression and bollocks about them / a vocal leader.... 

Oh and a striker that can actually finish would also be a goodun 🤣

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Saints also went up and did well a few years ago. Not with this squad though

I remember it well but the gulf now is too big and every year teams will yo-yo between the Championship and the  Prem. Sad but true.

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

and have beaten us home and away already this season

How would saints be clear favourites?

I am not saying they would be clear favourites to win in my opinion, I am saying the market would make them clear favourites which it absolutely would. If you think I am wrong about that, as I said to somebody further up, name your price. Or.....

On 22/04/2024 at 08:18, tisspahars said:

Not only would Ipswich not be "massive favourites", they wouldn't be favourites at all - we would, and clearly.

22 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

I am not saying they would be clear favourites to win in my opinion, I am saying the market would make them clear favourites which it absolutely would. If you think I am wrong about that, as I said to somebody further up, name your price. Or.....

why is that then?

The three teams ahead of us will be the three that get promoted. Russ has blown his best opportunity for success with pig headed stubborn adherence to a flawed methodology and an inability to close out games.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Next season for the love of God can we sign another player in the similar mould to Romeu..... 

Forget the youth policy 

Get someone in experienced and with a bit of aggression and bollocks about them / a vocal leader.... 

Someone who people are afraid of, eh. A Case, Hurlock, Gobern (ha), Romeu type. Of our passive bunch Downes is most similar to what you’re describing and his influence when he plays shows you’re correct, though he seldom plays. We need someone who can break someone’s legs and not say sorry. 

Actually nah f*ck that. Man City have just put up another youngster for £20million

3 hours ago, Stu Man Do said:

Reckon we’d get absolutely annihilated playing that side. The ball would never stick up top and we’d continue to play “our style” messing about with it at the back until Vardy scores a hat trick.

I get the idea of saving players but they could just as easily get hurt in training and going into the playoffs on the back of several defeats (with our seemingly mentally weak players) would be  putting ourselves in a negative mindset from the start.

Or get hurt in warm ups.

37 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The three teams ahead of us will be the three that get promoted. Russ has blown his best opportunity for success with pig headed stubborn adherence to a flawed methodology and an inability to close out games.

I don't know about that. I watched the Leeds game yesterday and I'd fancy our chances against them in the play-offs, they defend badly and Meslier seems to have gone backwards this season. Don't know enough about Ipswich to make any sort of prediction in a game against them.

I don't even care enough to watch now. Honestly I've found it a struggle all season, being conflicted between wanting us to win and knowing that the prize at the end of the season is being back in the Prem. 

I think I'm better suited to supporting non league now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Forget the youth policy 

If only it was that easy....oh.... It is..... ;)

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't even care enough to watch now. Honestly I've found it a struggle all season, being conflicted between wanting us to win and knowing that the prize at the end of the season is being back in the Prem. 

I know exactly what you mean. Went to watch Maidenhead the other day with some mates and it was class. The idea of going back to the PL with VAR,  the big six, the money, sky, etc genuinely fills me with dread. 

I want saints to win every week and not go back up. I have loved the championship.

It’s a strange paradox. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, trousers said:

McCarthy

Charles 

Smallbone - Rothwell

28 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Reckon KWP, Adams and Downes will be on the bench until the play-offs.  Stephens will play to give our CBs a rest.

That would be the sensible thing to do anyway.  We’re finishing 4th regardless.

"Great minds...." 

:)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, trousers said:

McCarthy

Charles 

Smallbone - Rothwell

Why bother with Rothwell? He is crap and we won’t keep him so he should be nowhere to be seen. Good shot on him but otherwise non existent…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Why bother with Rothwell? He is crap and we won’t keep him so he should be nowhere to be seen. Good shot on him but otherwise non existent…

I would rather Rothwell got injured than Aribo.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, captainchris said:

He's been poor in deep midfield but let's try him in Stu Armstrong position , might as well try it 

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

yes

Well, a short version would be......modern markets are controlled by the asian markets which are (very quickly) knocked into shape by the most successful punting syndicates, one of the best headed up by Tony Bloom the Brighton owner. In the same way in which Brighton have been ahead of the curve for years in player and manager recruitment due to using the best numbers to crunch and the best people to crunch them, the gambling side of what these people do works in a similar way. The stats mere mortals like us now see (xG etc) they were using many moons ago and these things are constantly evolving. Different syndicates work in different ways but many have a constant updated rating for each team and this when applied to whether a fixture is home or away gives them a basis for the "correct" price. Quite simply, Saints are currently rated a better side than Ipswich. Whereas the forum would look at the game at Portman Road and say "We were on top but we are a team of bedwetters and they are a proper team so that was always going to happen and will again" the syndicates would say "Southampton by ever metric were clearly the better team and therefore they should be favourites if they meet at a neutral venue." Which is not to say they will be right, of course - but it does explain why we will be favourites.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

feel the same pal. Having been watching L2 games. Still been to some saints games but its a struggle. Had tickets for tonight and for various reasons am not going. But if I really wanted it I would be there tonight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richie said:

feel the same pal. Having been watching L2 games. Still been to some saints games but its a struggle. Had tickets for tonight and for various reasons am not going. But if I really wanted it I would be there tonight. 

Not sure why, but I've kinda felt similar this season. I thought it was maybe that I was getting old and grumpy, but it has felt quite a chore to watch us which in my head seems like an odd thing to say given that we're on 84 points.....but I just haven't been convinced at any stage really, something nagging me that is just not good enough with this team/setup. I've enjoyed some games for sure, but it's not going to be one of those seasons I look back on in years gone by and reminisce about it (like the 2011/2012 season)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure why, but I've kinda felt similar this season. I thought it was maybe that I was getting old and grumpy, but it has felt quite a chore to watch us which in my head seems like an odd thing to say given that we're on 84 points.....but I just haven't been convinced at any stage really, something nagging me that is just not good enough with this team/setup. I've enjoyed some games for sure, but it's not going to be one of those seasons I look back on in years gone by and reminisce about it (like the 2011/2012 season)

Pretty much sums it up. Its almost like Groundhog Day going to watch home matches. We will start off very well, probably score one, maybe two, look great, then all of a sudden we will fall back into this passive pass pass pass nonsense on the halfway line or deeper. Second half we will start slow, he'll introduce subs and we get progressively worse then the opposition will score cos they ignored the warning signs and RM will tell us we were brave on the ball blah blah blah 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tisspahars said:

Well, a short version would be......modern markets are controlled by the asian markets which are (very quickly) knocked into shape by the most successful punting syndicates, one of the best headed up by Tony Bloom the Brighton owner. In the same way in which Brighton have been ahead of the curve for years in player and manager recruitment due to using the best numbers to crunch and the best people to crunch them, the gambling side of what these people do works in a similar way. The stats mere mortals like us now see (xG etc) they were using many moons ago and these things are constantly evolving. Different syndicates work in different ways but many have a constant updated rating for each team and this when applied to whether a fixture is home or away gives them a basis for the "correct" price. Quite simply, Saints are currently rated a better side than Ipswich. Whereas the forum would look at the game at Portman Road and say "We were on top but we are a team of bedwetters and they are a proper team so that was always going to happen and will again" the syndicates would say "Southampton by ever metric were clearly the better team and therefore they should be favourites if they meet at a neutral venue." Which is not to say they will be right, of course - but it does explain why we will be favourites.

Betting is a mugs game.  Never seen a poor bookie.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic