Saints vs Burnley - Build Up

Lighthouse

Djuricic clearly has ability, but is lightweight and has yet to deliver a goal or an assist. Although tbf he should have had a pen vs Liverpool.

As much as Ramirez was poor defensively and gave the ball away cheaply at times, at least he could usually produce that killer ball and assist and the odd goal (from distance too).

Better option to have on the bench IMO to chase a game, though an expensive one.

Yet to deliver goal or assist??!

What in all 181 minutes played!

Steve Davis has 0 goal, 2 assists after a whole season starting in same role!

Nothing like giving a player a chance!

Burnley play direct and organised. It'll be the same as when they came to St Marys last season and went for it. If we can deal with the long balls and workrate of their forward players you'd like to think the quality we have at the other end of the park will create some chances - whether or not we have the guile to take them based on current form will be another matter. They'll play two up front so there should be plenty of space for us 'between the lines' if we move the ball quick enough. Could be a good game for players who can beat a man and create some space for others too.

Do we need Morgan and Vic for this?

With Vic on nine bookings I'd be tempted to start with Morgan, Davis, Djuricic behind Tadic, Mane and Long or Pelle.

What's the point in dropping players in order to avoid a ban? If we leave him out of 2 games anyway, what do we achieve?

We aren't good enough to go leaving out our best players against anyone. We got mugged off at home Swansea, we'll look a right bunch of Muppets if we go leaving out our best players and lose to Burnley.

Well he did by his standards. Lost Costa for the goal and lost possession in good positions moving forward. I looked at a few ratings sites post match which had him at a maximum of 6 out of 10

You mean he wasn't able to cover Costa when the defenders who should have picked him up failed to mark him properly. Anyone who thinks it was Davis' job to mark Costa in the penalty area for a cross really has a serious misunderstanding of how football works. Davis did lose possession a couple of times granted, it wasn't his best game, but clearly we went seriously backwards when his replacement was brought on.

Must admit to not having seen enough of Burnely this season to hazard a guess as to how they'll play on Saturday. Do they really attack? If Dych has learnt anything from matches at SMS this season his two up front will be there to defend from the front and with the rest sitting back and trying to hit us with a sucker punch, like most others have. In which case Sunday's selection of two pacey forwards isn't going to have the same impact as first half against Chelsea.

Must admit to not having seen enough of Burnely this season to hazard a guess as to how they'll play on Saturday. Do they really attack? If Dych has learnt anything from matches at SMS this season his two up front will be there to defend from the front and with the rest sitting back and trying to hit us with a sucker punch, like most others have. In which case Sunday's selection of two pacey forwards isn't going to have the same impact as first half against Chelsea.

They do. Classic meat-head comment would be that because they're relegation possibilities they will be 'parking the bus' and being defensive. But they've got a ton of energy and desire and really go at teams. Had a bit of a mixed start to the season though but I think they are really starting to adapt to premier league a lot more. I know that's Dyche's words....but it is actually very clear to see. Got a lot of confidence

We have Roger East on the Whistle Saturday, he's the slightly sinister looking baldy who wouldn't look to out of place in a Lock Stock or Layer Cake type of caper. Fair play to him he was pretty damn quick to young Matty when he was sparko at QPR, obviously had received word from his lino too but still pretty sharp to halt proceedings and get folks on.

With the conspiracy theory about us being reffed out of the top 4, it will be interesting to see how he does especially as we are the Big club in this game.

Should be a good proper 3 o'clock game Saturday as Burnley will have their tails up after beating City, and Sean Dyche can get them playing well as a unit considering how little money he has had to spend.

Koeman dropping a hint at the press conference that Pelle will be back in the starting 11 on Saturday. Said that he played a faster front line vs Chelsea because of who the opposition was and that it'll be a different type of game this weekend.

Koeman dropping a hint at the press conference that Pelle will be back in the starting 11 on Saturday. Said that he played a faster front line vs Chelsea because of who the opposition was and that it'll be a different type of game this weekend.

Can't disagree - will have given Pelle a kick up the arse being sat on the bench too.

You mean he wasn't able to cover Costa when the defenders who should have picked him up failed to mark him properly. Anyone who thinks it was Davis' job to mark Costa in the penalty area for a cross really has a serious misunderstanding of how football works. Davis did lose possession a couple of times granted, it wasn't his best game, but clearly we went seriously backwards when his replacement was brought on.

Yeah I can concede that it shouldnt have been his man, the CBs got dragged across like Id explained in a previous post. But he did end up there, and he has to take a responsibility in that situation. As for Chelsea being much better, they couldnt have been much worse. I dont think it was really Davis coming off the pitch, it was a few factors. A tireing long, a chelsea with a rocket up them and Ramires on for a poor Matic are all parts.

Now lets not get this confused with me calling on the end of Davis, he adds so much to this team. But he had a poor game against chelsea, thats all.

The female journalist asking Koeman the questions was dreadful. Why on Earth use idioms like different kettle of fish with non native English speakers!

Can't wait for Saturday. 3 points please, and a dynamic performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 i'm England and even i don't know why we put fish in kettles, unless, thinking about it, it's something to do with descaling?

Ignorant Bear, a fish kettle and a tea kettle are, what's that expression now, oh yes a different kettle of fish.

Probably comes from jockspeak or something mid 18th century.

They do. Classic meat-head comment would be that because they're relegation possibilities they will be 'parking the bus' and being defensive. But they've got a ton of energy and desire and really go at teams. Had a bit of a mixed start to the season though but I think they are really starting to adapt to premier league a lot more. I know that's Dyche's words....but it is actually very clear to see. Got a lot of confidence

As well that I didn't say then or I'd have been a meat-head. What I was saying of course is that teams have success at St Mary's by playing defensively and hitting in the break e.g. Manu, Liverpool.

Ignorant Bear, a fish kettle and a tea kettle are, what's that expression now, oh yes a different kettle of fish.

Probably comes from jockspeak or something mid 18th century.

Nah, ' a pretty (or fine) kettle of fish' is 18C - e.g. used by Henry Fielding. 'a different' is 20C...

Personally thought the hint was that Pelle wouldn't start ....

As well that I didn't say then or I'd have been a meat-head. What I was saying of course is that teams have success at St Mary's by playing defensively and hitting in the break e.g. Manu, Liverpool.

Sorry wasn't clear. Wasn't at all suggesting you had said that - was saying that a classic meathead comment would be that they are defensive because they are at the bottom of the table. Not that you were the meathead in question....!

But yes I agree may well have more success against them if they come at us a little

Here's the Guardian's take on Davis vs Djuricic

Southampton were excellent against Chelsea last weekend, dogged and determined, their eyes still on a European prize. But Burnley will be a different prospect. Sean Dyche’s side may, at times, lack finesse but they will press and pressure and harry and run and if the Saints want to go marching on, they will need a different approach than the one applied at Stamford Bridge, an approach that would see Steven Davis dropped. Davis is a tidy passer and hard working and adds immensely to the defensive effort, but his major failing is that he offers very little going forward. He has played 2,063 minutes in the league this season – more than any other Southampton midfielder – but has only managed two assists. (Victor Wanyama and Morgan Schneiderlin have fewer but they are playing much further back.) For this game, Southampton are going to need someone who has the skill, technique and passing ability that can that can unpick a defence and can find the runs of his team-mates. Someone like Filip Djuricic. Sure, the Serbian is young and inexperienced in the Premier League but he has already shown he has a sizeable amount of ability, which could prove very useful in breaking down defences during the chase for that coveted European spot. Burnley are terrible away from home – they have picked up one win on the road all season – and Southampton are very good against the bottom-based sides. Only once have they dropped a point at home against a team lower than 10th and that was way back in August against West Bromwich Albion. The rest have been sucked in and spat out like Augustus Gloop in the chocolate river. This could be just the perfect of game to let Djuricic run wild and show what he can do. IMC

Here's the Guardian's take on Davis vs Djuricic

Southampton were excellent against Chelsea last weekend, dogged and determined, their eyes still on a European prize. But Burnley will be a different prospect. Sean Dyche’s side may, at times, lack finesse but they will press and pressure and harry and run and if the Saints want to go marching on, they will need a different approach than the one applied at Stamford Bridge, an approach that would see Steven Davis dropped. Davis is a tidy passer and hard working and adds immensely to the defensive effort, but his major failing is that he offers very little going forward. He has played 2,063 minutes in the league this season – more than any other Southampton midfielder – but has only managed two assists. (Victor Wanyama and Morgan Schneiderlin have fewer but they are playing much further back.) For this game, Southampton are going to need someone who has the skill, technique and passing ability that can that can unpick a defence and can find the runs of his team-mates. Someone like Filip Djuricic. Sure, the Serbian is young and inexperienced in the Premier League but he has already shown he has a sizeable amount of ability, which could prove very useful in breaking down defences during the chase for that coveted European spot. Burnley are terrible away from home – they have picked up one win on the road all season – and Southampton are very good against the bottom-based sides. Only once have they dropped a point at home against a team lower than 10th and that was way back in August against West Bromwich Albion. The rest have been sucked in and spat out like Augustus Gloop in the chocolate river. This could be just the perfect of game to let Djuricic run wild and show what he can do. IMC

That's encouraging. If true.

---------------Fraser Forza!---------------

Clyne------Font------Toby A------Bertie

-------------Big Vic---Morgan S---------

---Djuricic-------Mane---------Tadic---

----------------------Pelle----------------------

KD, Yoshida, Davis, JWP, Long, Gallagher, Elia

I'd also go with this, although possibly swapping Seager for Gallagher on the bench

Would swap up duricic for Elia and give long another go up top.

I understand one of the reasons for dropping pelle tactically vs chelsea to expose the cb's.

tbh Pelle has been poor for ages and gives us very little uptop when off form. He is so static and that makes us totally one dimensional. When rickie was off form, at least his 1st touch was good and he would pull players out of position so other players could find space in behind.

I'd also go with this, although possibly swapping Seager for Gallagher on the bench

If fit I doubt we'll see anything other than both Gardos and Yoshida on the bench, I don't think Seager or Gallagher will be in the squad ahead of Gardos.

Edited by Matthew Le God

The eggheads (up against Lawro this week) have predicted us to win 5-2! The only big scoreline they've suggested so I guess they've got a saints fan in the ranks. Still, the fact they reckon we'll grab 5 goals suggests they've not seen us shooting lately!

Maybe they were doing predictions on Villa last week and don't want to be caught out twice?

--------------------Forster---------------

Clyne------Fonte---------Alderweireld----Bertrand

--------------Big Vic---Morgan---------

---Djuricic---------Mane-----------Tadic---

--------------------Pelle----------------------

If we bag an early goal I think we'll win by three or four. Hopefully we'll see Clyne get back to his best going forward as I think he's been poor the last month or so.

Bench- K.Davis, Yoshida, Gardos, JWP, Davis, Elia, Long

Agree with this Benji, lets make sure Pellè goes out with a fire under his ass. If I was koeman Id be pointing out why he was dropped and to prove himself.

The eggheads (up against Lawro this week) have predicted us to win 5-2! The only big scoreline they've suggested so I guess they've got a saints fan in the ranks. Still, the fact they reckon we'll grab 5 goals suggests they've not seen us shooting lately!

Think they had just watched Everton get tonked 5-2 and thought 'that's a fun scoreline to use'.

Yeah, can't see us scoring 5 now, even against a pub team.