Koeman still wants Elia

andoru

With Europa league Ellia is perfect 2/3 million sub to bring of the bench with 20 minutes to go.. Some of you are crazy, do you think we have the budget where we can have a 8/12 million pound player on the bench to bring on? Osvaldo remirez and long worked didn't they, nah wake up please, thanks god Ronald is manager and not someone old farts on here

With Europa league Ellia is perfect 2/3 million sub to bring of the bench with 20 minutes to go.. Some of you are crazy, do you think we have the budget where we can have a 8/12 million pound player on the bench to bring on? Osvaldo remirez and long worked didn't they, nah wake up please, thanks god Ronald is manager and not someone old farts on here

Long was koemans signing lets not forget

What's the point in signing a not very good player?

This is how I feel about it, I don't see the logic in it. Ok, there is the argument that we need depth...but the depth needs to actually be able to produce something. I'd happily go with an Isgrove or a Hesekth type over him, it would be the most annoyingly **** signing ever. In my opinion.

I think he's worth a punt. There's definitely something there and Liverhampton will buy him for 20M next year if he has 3 or 4 good games. It's a long old season and he's a decent player to have in the squad.

With a full pre season under his belt and being more settled he could come good. Can't see him being a regular starter but for a small price it's worth it for squad depth.

A decent looking player who seems like he needs to find his feet. He also took 3 corners last season. All 3 were the best we had all season.

This.

I thought Elia was very poor - but that should be tempered with the fact that the team as a whole looked very poor for the final 1/3 of the season.

If Ron thinks hes good enough then that is more than enough for me - at least he knows the team, League, etc. which should reduce any 'bedding in' time.

YES RK!! keep after this player!! I am going to stick my unprofessional 40 years of watching and still playing football opinion on ELIA. I like him! He has had a roller coaster career and I didn't know to much about his playing history other than seeing him in the WC. But Judging on what I see with SFC I definitely want him at that price! He is one of the trickiest players on our team, great skill on the ball to beat the man. This is his main strength! I have watched many tricky players, the famous Ronaldo at MU and Mcmanaman of LFC. Both took time as young players to develop the skill of beating a man in close quarters consistently. It takes year to develop the skill of when and how to do it. Elia has this mature skill and can dance with the ball. His crossing was good. His age makes him a mature player that has experience at EL. He is hungry to play for RK. He started to link up well with Mane, they seem to be on the same wavelength. Now Mane and Vic will be hot transfer news next year, but Elia could be here to provide years of loyal service, small fee, reasonable wages all good things. Now I don't see all good in him, his speed was not what I thought it would be and he did seem to slow the play down at times because he will hold the ball and take on his man, this will slow a quick moving one touch passing game that we like to do at times. But these are minor things and now I am prepared to hear the backlash from fellow forum members, here is another one........GAZZA is good!!! :) strange how we see the same players so differently, got to love the difference of opinions, it is the spice of life, and lord knows England needs some spice.

YES RK!! keep after this player!! I am going to stick my unprofessional 40 years of watching and still playing football opinion on ELIA. I like him! He has had a roller coaster career and I didn't know to much about his playing history other than seeing him in the WC. But Judging on what I see with SFC I definitely want him at that price! He is one of the trickiest players on our team, great skill on the ball to beat the man. This is his main strength! I have watched many tricky players, the famous Ronaldo at MU and Mcmanaman of LFC. Both took time as young players to develop the skill of beating a man in close quarters consistently. It takes year to develop the skill of when and how to do it. Elia has this mature skill and can dance with the ball. His crossing was good. His age makes him a mature player that has experience at EL. He is hungry to play for RK. He started to link up well with Mane, they seem to be on the same wavelength. Now Mane and Vic will be hot transfer news next year, but Elia could be here to provide years of loyal service, small fee, reasonable wages all good things. Now I don't see all good in him, his speed was not what I thought it would be and he did seem to slow the play down at times because he will hold the ball and take on his man, this will slow a quick moving one touch passing game that we like to do at times. But these are minor things and now I am prepared to hear the backlash from fellow forum members, here is another one........GAZZA is good!!! :) strange how we see the same players so differently, got to love the difference of opinions, it is the spice of life, and lord knows England needs some spice.

Give it up Eljero, the transfer committee have said no and that's it. Persuade your German club to let you leave for free and they'll reconsider...bye.

What's the point in simply saying "Koeman knows best" - pretty much kills 99% of threads on here.

I wouldn't waste any money on Elia, on the basis that we've added Juanmi and Rodriguez, I can't see him even making our matchday squad at times, would rather put that money towards securing Alderweireld.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? ;)

This is how I feel about it, I don't see the logic in it. Ok, there is the argument that we need depth...but the depth needs to actually be able to produce something. I'd happily go with an Isgrove or a Hesekth type over him, it would be the most annoyingly **** signing ever. In my opinion.

This. Surely if we're looking to progress youth through then we should be avoiding signings like this.

Agree with a lot of that regarding Elia, he does have flashes of the Ronaldo/Ronaldinho type dribbling ability thought he looked very good in the games against Newcastle Man Utd and Swansea. Biggest problems for me is like you say he does dwell on the ball a bit and slow the play down sometimes trying to be clever only to waste the opportunity, also think he needs to impose himself a bit more in the game as he tends to hug the wing a lot which can make him invisible at times.

I'd like to see him stay

We need someone as cover for Mane.

Mane moved into a more central role and killed it, but when stuck out wide he was less effective.

We have nobody else in our squad who can come in from deep and has pace.

Elia has the potential, we have seen snippets of it and IF he was coming in as a low cost cover for Mane to allow us to play the same style when he is out injured/banned etc then for a few million I have faith that is what Koeman sees, and would prefer that to Mayuka and tbh Isgrove this season. We could probably get a few hundred k of the fee back as loan fee for Lloyd to get him fully ready for our bench.

I'm pretty sure with JRod/Juanmi/Long/Tadic as 2 wide front runners with Pelle in the central role we have a gap in the squad.

Buying him to play wide makes little sense IMHO. I'll only moan IF we bought him and ran out of cash for Toby & the replacement for Morgan

Wow, you guys love your 'arguments from authority', eh? "Koeman knows best," "Koeman knows what he's doing," "Koeman knows more about football than us" ... etc. Sure he does, but then so do Mark Lawrenson/Garth Crooks/Robbie Savage/any football pundit or manager or commentator or coach or ex-player who has spent their life in the game. Doesn't stop people dismissing what they say. Even the mighty Alex Ferguson made mistakes, like releasing Pogba or signing Veron. Big Ron is not infallible, and I think Elia isn't worth it. Okay, he might cost just a couple of million, but a) doesn't that tell us something about how he is rated? and b) I'd rather put that towards wages for someone who has more to offer, like Toby. Yes, we need a bigger squad for Europe, but Elia is not the way forward for me. Bar the Newcastle game, he was little more than a body on the pitch last season.

Elia arrived in January having not played for some time, even some of the greatest players struggle to settle in their first season let alone in 5 months. Give him a good pre season & once his family are settled then I think we will see the real Elia, be that a good signing or not. In Koeman we trust!

Elia arrived in January having not played for some time, even some of the greatest players struggle to settle in their first season let alone in 5 months. Give him a good pre season & once his family are settled then I think we will see the real Elia, be that a good signing or not. In Koeman we trust!

what is the real elia?

Wow, you guys love your 'arguments from authority', eh? "Koeman knows best," "Koeman knows what he's doing," "Koeman knows more about football than us" ... etc. Sure he does, but then so do Mark Lawrenson/Garth Crooks/Robbie Savage/any football pundit or manager or commentator or coach or ex-player who has spent their life in the game. Doesn't stop people dismissing what they say. Even the mighty Alex Ferguson made mistakes, like releasing Pogba or signing Veron. Big Ron is not infallible, and I think Elia isn't worth it. Okay, he might cost just a couple of million, but a) doesn't that tell us something about how he is rated? and b) I'd rather put that towards wages for someone who has more to offer, like Toby. Yes, we need a bigger squad for Europe, but Elia is not the way forward for me. Bar the Newcastle game, he was little more than a body on the pitch last season.

Spot on. He was was by and large very ineffective. I saw nothing in him to suggest a preseason with us will make a difference. Instead we should spend the money towards paying what Madrid want for Toby.

This. Surely if we're looking to progress youth through then we should be avoiding signings like this.

Sure and you're right. The ideal would be to have no reliance on signings....its just at the moment would you say there's 3-4 academy players who can play at saints level (pushing for 6th) and help out in european campaign? I think hesketh was O.K. I think reed at least showed at lot more of his potential when he was on the pitch.

you may say they haven't got the chance to prove themselves, which is fair. But you can't force the academy to produce talent. Sometimes you need to buy players that have had the experience and game time

Spot on. He was was by and large very ineffective. I saw nothing in him to suggest a preseason with us will make a difference. Instead we should spend the money towards paying what Madrid want for Toby.

if there's a choice between the two, you'd be mad not to put the money towards getting toby, we all would. whether its so black and white behind the scenes....debateable.

why not have both...?

Sure and you're right. The ideal would be to have no reliance on signings....its just at the moment would you say there's 3-4 academy players who can play at saints level (pushing for 6th) and help out in european campaign? I think hesketh was O.K. I think reed at least showed at lot more of his potential when he was on the pitch.

you may say they haven't got the chance to prove themselves, which is fair. But you can't force the academy to produce talent. Sometimes you need to buy players that have had the experience and game time

Not asking for them to force talent through the academy, I'm just saying that filling the squad with these type of signings is only going to block any potential progression.

This.

I can't recall when we last had a manager I would put as much faith in as RK. Sure they all know more about football than me, but RK seems to be head and shoulders above the rest. Yes I know it is also the scouting network and back room that helps, but it all seems to be working well at the moment.

This, I just hope he sticks around long enough. Funny thing is, I honestly think he will honour his contract.

Elia is ok, not amazing, but a decent enough squad player. I'd keep him if we can get the deal done for a few million.

I've never really bought into the argument of signing players that are perceived to not be as good as what we have/can get on the basis that they can be 'squad' players. Surely we need to bring in better than what we have, not worse?

If it's about filling squads and making up numbers then we need to promote from within, out of the U21s.

I've never really bought into the argument of signing players that are perceived to not be as good as what we have/can get on the basis that they can be 'squad' players. Surely we need to bring in better than what we have, not worse?

If it's about filling squads and making up numbers then we need to promote from within, out of the U21s.

Well, exactly. Otherwise you end up with a squad full of Neilson's, Delap's, Van Damme's etc.

HE said it was his signing on video and said he was a great player, who's signing was he then?

My take on that interview was that the transfer committee had to get a striker in asap, because of the exodus. Koeman said in that interview (if we're talking about the same one) that Shane Long was a good option partly because he was already match fit and ready to play from the moment of signing. I personally don't think that Big Ron arrived at SMS and briefed les reed to go out and get Shane long.

5 months is plenty of time to start showing some sort of form but he didn't do it. If anything he went backwards, putting in a couple of decent performances at the start, then tailing off and looking fairly poor towards the end of the season.

Koeman is not a magician and 'preseason' isn't a magic potion which turns players into world beaters. Koeman can probably get the best out of him but I think Elia's best isn't putting in Newcastle performances every game. It's like expecting Tadic to play like he did against Sunderland every game, or Kelvin like he did at Elland Road.

5 months is plenty of time to start showing some sort of form but he didn't do it. If anything he went backwards, putting in a couple of decent performances at the start, then tailing off and looking fairly poor towards the end of the season.

Koeman is not a magician and 'preseason' isn't a magic potion which turns players into world beaters. Koeman can probably get the best out of him but I think Elia's best isn't putting in Newcastle performances every game. It's like expecting Tadic to play like he did against Sunderland every game, or Kelvin like he did at Elland Road.

This whole team had its ups and downs during the season!! With a few exceptions.

Pelle, Tadic, Mane, davis,clyne, spydy......etc all had loss of form during the season. But all gave us hope that a brilliant player is in there. Are we too write off most of our team because they were not at their BEST every game. He will fill out the squad with pace, skill, good work rate, defence (yes I saw his first few games were clueless for his defense, but RK sorted that out and he improved dramatically). These things he will apply and do his best, what that end up being at the end of the season is up to him and injuries. What is guaranteed with Elia that I think RK understood was, he is EL experienced, has the right attitude, right coaching from youth, right age. A great squad player at a good price that has the ability ( all agree) to be a positive addition in many ways.

As for the blocking our youth argument with Elia, I disagree, his experience will teach them, he is a very skilled tricky player, if in training he can teach English youth the art of dancing with the ball, close control, trick and flips, being comfort with ball at your feet and man on your back. They will need to learn from player who have been doing for far longer than they. If they are good enough they will get chances in this new Era.

Elia, tadic, mane and our new signings all look to be the type technically gifted at dribbling, don't forget we are modeling our club after Barcelona and now have a baca alumni! ( yes I know we also add many good traits from other great clubs that Les has brain rained and added our own saints philosophy) . So I expect our youth will be the next spainenglish hot prospects with great dribbling and close ball control. March on Saints!

I think if we get him for 2-3m its a good option and probably the best we could get for that amount. He has played to a high level and even though he did not play particularly well for a lot of the time he was here he clearly has some talent. Players rarely show their best when on loan...the stability of a contract and being able to get a home is not to be underestimated in the performance of a player.

Except for all the players frequently mentioned on here who did everything to get a permanent contract and only after they got one became sh*t.

And the others we couldn't/can't wait to sign, like Ryan B, ot Toby A.

He scored twice against Newcastle, so he's proven that on occasions he is good enough to play in the Premier League. We can't afford to sign absolutely top tier players, and he represents exceptional value for the upside he might bring from achievements previously in his career, and if his downside is that he only wins us the match every 15 games then that's hardly a risk to worry about.

His defensive workrate in supporting Bertrand seems to get overlooked every time, plus this is a player who scores every 8-10 matches and has done throughout his career, he's actually still ahead of his average for us.

According to the German " Kicker" Southampton are still interested, but refuse to pay 5.500.000 euro. There are talks ongoing about different conditions.

Several times, Elia was thrown in to a side blighted by injuries and devoid of regular goalscorers, and he took stick for not scoring.

I agree with those who say he didn't impress (except for this match-winning efforts at Newcastle) but the man has massive international experience, and must be regarded as a potential asset in Euro games, but not at that price ...and at the expense of other players who would come in at bigger fees.

£1.5 - £2 million would be a safe gamble.

ELIA NOT TRAINING

Werder Bremen general manager Thomas Eichin has confirmed that winger Eljero Elia has been allowed to leave pre-season training to sort out his future.

Elia was on loan at Southampton last season, and Eichin said: "It's obvious both players are no longer part of our plans. We are out to find a solution each for their future.

"Both players are fully aware of that."

ELIA NOT TRAINING

Werder Bremen general manager Thomas Eichin has confirmed that winger Eljero Elia has been allowed to leave pre-season training to sort out his future.

Elia was on loan at Southampton last season, and Eichin said: "It's obvious both players are no longer part of our plans. We are out to find a solution each for their future.

"Both players are fully aware of that."

Elia is schizophrenic? Can we just sign the one who showed glimpses of promise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...