Here come our new 'rivals'...

Saint-Armstrong

Honestly? I'd be very surprised if most Bournemouth fans wouldn't much rather see us beat Manchester United than the other way around (and of course, vice-versa. The same couldn't possibly be said for Pompey.

I think that's a pretty good summary of the situation.

there will of course be some within them that want to stoke the rivalry.....that on our side does not exists.

I know a couple of bournemouth fans and they see it as getting one over the bigger brother so to speak and see it as more like banter. But sure s ****, they will want the bragging rights....

fair enough

fantastic story though. -17 points or something in league 2...now they are the souths 2nd club...way way way above pompey lol

Edited by Batman

If they come up I think we should follow their season in a dedicated thread, but entirely positively - celebrating when they win, commiserating when they don't. Basically the opposite of the P*mpey thread. Let's all enjoy and support our second team's great adventure. Come on the Cherries!

Nothing would wind them up more.

Bournemouth Takeover Thread? LOL

I was born in Boscombe, live half way between B'mouth and Soton (well actually closer to B'mouth) but the family has always been involved with Saints.

I was just about to take the **** about you being born in Boscombe, and then I remembered that I was born there too in the old hospital that was torn down many years ago. I'm getting old...

They're still a small club along the South Coast from the Saints and in my opinion FWIW is they'll always be that way.

They are and thats what makes what they have done this season even more incredible. There are some big teams in The Championship and they have blown most of them away.

I went to see Brighton vs AFCB last night - BHA shaded the 1st half but ACFB scored 2 good goals in 2nd half - Boruc had nothing to do and Surman didnt look very special in the middle. If I was a AFCB fan I would enjoy the Premier league while I can as I imagine it wont last very long

If only they hadn't moved the boundary they could have been Hampshire's second club ;)

I used to go to the old Dean Court many years ago with my father-in-law and drop in on the occasional game now and again. I'd be pleased for them if they can make it but very surprised if it lasted more than one season. Still, the extra money would come in very useful for the next few years, might even pay for a few extra seats.

If only they hadn't moved the boundary they could have been Hampshire's second club ;)

They'll always be a Hampshire team as far as I'm concerned, the boundary changes in the 1970s are completely artificial. Bournemouth was in Hampshire (or more precisely the County of Southampton) when it was founded in the 19th century. They are Hampshire's second club and long may they remain so.

I have a feeling it may get quite heated, like the Brighton and Bouremouth rivalry in league one. I seem to remember Bouremouth being above us and top of the league at one stage and even though we tried hard to say they were not a rival, they did get under my skin. The fact we were below the skates, reading, Brighton and Bouremouth at the time did not help!

IF at any stage they were to go above us, it would be horrible, but as long as they do not do the one thing we have never done, but the skates have and top the premier league table.... I will be ok with that.

I really thought they would screw up, but hats off to them, so far.

They'll always be a Hampshire team as far as I'm concerned, the boundary changes in the 1970s are completely artificial. Bournemouth was in Hampshire (or more precisely the County of Southampton) when it was founded in the 19th century. They are Hampshire's second club and long may they remain so.

Agreed.

You know what, I think on current form Bompey would beat us right now - they score goals with ease.

They really wouldn't. Our defence and midfield is far far superior to what they are up against in the Champ.

They've got some good attackers but otherwise they look very ordinary to me. Will get murdered next season if they don't invest.

There is no "rivalry" in the true sense of the term with regards football and I don't see one being created either.

There is no history between the two clubs, and the way Bournemouth results are greeted at St Mary's (and at The Dell before that) would even suggest there is a degree of "support"/"affection" for them.

Of course there are a few bitter and twisted ones down there who want to manufacture a rivalry (including those shabby dressed middle aged men + Chris Nicholl + Pat Butcher in that photo), but try as they might they won't be able to conjure up a rivalry in the true sense of the term.

The games will have some added spice just like the Brighton matches in late 70s/early 80s and perhaps more recently, and being geographically close make the games a bit more interesting (as with Reading in the Championship recently), but there will not be a rivalry in footballing terms.

As a 45 plus years Saints supporter I must admit to watching their match at Brighton live on TV out here in Dubai (pretty poor play by both sides to be honest but great finishing by them it must be said! two strikes on goal and two goals). Looks like Bournemouth are tightening up a bit as they approach the finish line and are now playing with a fair degree of stress). However all their last 4 (Reading Sheff Wed Bolton and Charlton) have nothing left to play for this season and I would actually love to see them in the premiership as this would be the equivalent for them as us making the Champions league and is good for all football.

All the best to them and I will certainly be interested in how they do and wish them well for 36 of the 38 matches.

I was brought up having an affinity for all the South/South West clubs, even Portsmouth. As a neutral I would have supported Torquay, Plymouth, Exeter, Bournemouth, Aldershot, Portsmouth. The line is kind of drawn at W Sussex and north of Exeter. I wonder if Portsmouth should really be in West Sussex?

they are a quaint little town club, but they will give it the big one. The good humour will soon rub off if they stay up and few seasons,especially if they beat us.

'Where were you,where were you, for the last 100 years' , would be the best retort

Is your Dad from Bournemouth too?

Not sure if this is directed at me, but I'll answer anyway as it makes sense that it would be.

My Dad was actually born in London, very close to Brentford's stadium. But he lived in Southampton for a long time as a young man and started to watch Saints on a regular basis when he got into football. He watches out for Brentford results even though he never went to their matches as he was never into football as a kid growing up there. Then our family moved to Bournemouth just before I was born, but he carried on supporting Saints, and has for over 40 years now.

I actually went to both Saints and Bournemouth games for a while as a teenager, because they would usually be on opposite weekends. But nothing can compete with your first love, right?

Not sure if this is directed at me, but I'll answer anyway as it makes sense that it would be.

It was. My son was born in the Princess Anne and lives in So'ton, grew up in Hythe (just like Danny Ings) however follows me (born in Bournemouth) in supporting Boscombe. I did give him the option (of course) but he chose to follow me, hence my asking.

Good luck to them. They are a good side and Eddie Howe is a good Manager and a decent bloke.

Really hope they come up and stay up.

They might not be a traditional rival, but if they come up then they will be a rival next season and anyone who denies that is wrong IMO. Those games would have an added spice.

Much as I want to directly link to the greatest goal ever scored at Dean Court, Facebook no longer lets me, so you'll just have to click here instead:

Was trying to track down the video of that game years ago. Anyone got it? More importantly, the 1st and 5th (I think) goals ;)

Good luck to them. They are a good side and Eddie Howe is a good Manager and a decent bloke.

Really hope they come up and stay up.

They might not be a traditional rival, but if they come up then they will be a rival next season and anyone who denies that is wrong IMO. Those games would have an added spice.

I remember in League 1 Bournemouth's fans being the only ones who needed a police presence at the train station. Whether people like it or not they do seem to have a problem with us. The lower league games where fun because there was some needle between the fans. In the absence of ever playing another derby with pompey I'll take Bournemouth ..............it's better than nothing.

Edited by doddisalegend

Was trying to track down the video of that game years ago. Anyone got it? More importantly, the 1st and 5th (I think) goals ;)

I have got it, yeah. It hasn't got all the goals on it though it's the full recording. It's got all mine on it though... :)

So have they got any players worth buying in the summer........Star strikers good RBs?

Nope. Callum Wilson is doing ok but we don't need to be taking those kind of gambles any more, Arter seems ok, the rest of the team are decent Championship players or borderline Prem cases (Surman for instance, much as I like him), and their keeper's a nutter who we shouldn't touch with a fift... oh.

Nope. Callum Wilson is doing ok but we don't need to be taking those kind of gambles any more, Arter seems ok, the rest of the team are decent Championship players or borderline Prem cases (Surman for instance, much as I like him), and their keeper's a nutter who we shouldn't touch with a fift... oh.

Can we buy some anyway just to annoy them.........;)

Can we buy some anyway just to annoy them.........;)

I'd rather we offered to loan them a bunch of kids or something that could actually help Saints AND is just a little bit patronising too... Offer them Josh Sims for a season or something, get himself some experience.

FWIW I'd love to see them in the Prem for a season, great little trip to the Forest and we always beat them.

There is no "rivalry" in the true sense of the term with regards football and I don't see one being created either.

There is no history between the two clubs, and the way Bournemouth results are greeted at St Mary's (and at The Dell before that) would even suggest there is a degree of "support"/"affection" for them.

Of course there are a few bitter and twisted ones down there who want to manufacture a rivalry (including those shabby dressed middle aged men + Chris Nicholl + Pat Butcher in that photo), but try as they might they won't be able to conjure up a rivalry in the true sense of the term.

The games will have some added spice just like the Brighton matches in late 70s/early 80s and perhaps more recently, and being geographically close make the games a bit more interesting (as with Reading in the Championship recently), but there will not be a rivalry in footballing terms.

It is possible to have a rivalry between two nearby clubs where you really, really want to beat them, but still cheer for them over everyone else because they are your second favorite club.