Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 108

Thread: Saints release 6

  1. #1

    Default Saints release 6

    Artur Boruc
    Jos Hooiveld
    Cody Cropper
    Omar Rowe
    Jake Sinclair
    Chris Johns

    Little bit surprised at Rowe and Sinclair, however got to trust the management team.

    Thankyou Jos and Artur for you're great contributions.

  2. Default

    Should we be surprised about Cropper?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andover/Isleworth
    Posts
    8,135

    Default

    Cheers Hooiveld and Boruc, great memories.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beavis17 View Post
    Should we be surprised about Cropper?
    Was going to say - this means for sure that we'll see 2 keepers IMO. That just leaves Paulo as the U21 GK. (unless you count will britt)

    Not surprised by the list, really. Sinclair for example was never going to make it here. He was sent back from Hibs because he was a bit pants! Will be interesting to see where they end up. I hope Jos gets himself a good club back in his hometown to bring down his career, good pro.

  5. Default

    Interesting. I thought Gazzaniga would have been on that list too.

    Good luck to all of them!

    Without Jos we wouldn't have got into the PL. Boruc certainly was an improvement on what we had.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corky morris View Post
    Interesting. I thought Gazzaniga would have been on that list too.

    Good luck to all of them!

    Without Jos we wouldn't have got into the PL. Boruc certainly was an improvement on what we had.
    But Gazzaniga still has 1/2 years left on his contract.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corky morris View Post
    Interesting. I thought Gazzaniga would have been on that list too.
    He's not out of contract.

    A little bit gutted about Rowe - I know he had injuries but I always thought he was a handy player at U21 level.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,003

    Default

    I think Rowe has been injured for ages so it's sad for him. Sinclair, IMO would never realistically have had a first team chance. Seager and Gallagher are ahead of him as forwards and Sims is rated as a better prospect in the wide role.

    Good luck to all of them.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the metropolis of Southampton
    Posts
    6,518

    Default

    Always a sad day for a young pro - I wish them well

  10. #10

    Default

    Also think it's a shame about Rowe. Saw him play a couple of times and looked very decent at that level. Wouldn't be surprised to see him forge a career at least at Lge 1 level...

  11. #11

    Default

    Good luck to all of them.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    faraway
    Posts
    5,706

    Default

    Cody Cropper? Why did we release him? Will do a good job for someone.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Cropper is no surprise as you would have thought having had US call ups he would have tried to push Gazza aside, but just seemed content treading water.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Baddesley
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Always a sad day for a young pro - I wish them well
    It is but they do leave with a prestigious credit on their CV...Saints Academy.

  15. #15

    Default

    No real surprises in the list, although would've liked Rowe to have been given another year to see what he can do after a run of games. Disappointing Jake Sinclair didnt turn out as good as his brother!!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,793
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Having seen Cropper for the first time in a competitive game last week, I think his kicking needs work - his hands were good but he looked fairly uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

    Boruc was inevitable after he burned his bridges when we signed Forster, thanks to Jos for everything he did getting us up and hopefully he'll find another club, and best wishes to the kids who at least have a lot of options lower down compared to when we were a L1 club...

    Slightly weirded out by the comment above about Gazzaniga, who isn't out of contract and has just had his best game for the club in the Premier League.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marooned in Berkshire
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    Was going to say - this means for sure that we'll see 2 keepers IMO. That just leaves Paulo as the U21 GK. (unless you count will britt)

    Not surprised by the list, really. Sinclair for example was never going to make it here. He was sent back from Hibs because he was a bit pants! Will be interesting to see where they end up. I hope Jos gets himself a good club back in his hometown to bring down his career, good pro.
    All of this, but also shame about Rowe, looked very handy when I saw him prior to his run of injuries.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Lowestoft
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella View Post
    Always a sad day for a young pro - I wish them well
    It is a sad day but if they were almost good enough for us they'll probably get snapped up by a lot of other clubs. Liverpool maybe??

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    18,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plonko View Post
    It is a sad day but if they were almost good enough for us they'll probably get snapped up by a lot of other clubs. Liverpool maybe??
    ...

  20. Default

    Good luck to them. I really thought Rowe would make it - maybe he still can.

    Special mentions for Boruc & Jos. Some great memories.

    So does this mean that the mysterious Mayuka* tweet about being released was false?

    * (Yes, I know he's not out of contract)

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    So does this mean that the mysterious Mayuka* tweet about being released was false?

    * (Yes, I know he's not out of contract)
    Wouldn't be upset if we made an exception for him!

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hedge End
    Posts
    1,812

    Default

    No surprises.

    Hooiveld has had his moments in the Championship and Premier League and Boruc was one of the best keeper in the Prem last year.

    As for Cropper... if he can't force his way ahead of Davis and Gazzaniga after at least 2 years of trying, then he isn't going to be good enough.

  23. #23

    Default

    Bournemouth confirm signing of Boruc: https://twitter.com/afcbournemouth/s...46081048797186

  24. #24

    Default

    Dan Demkiv
    Chris Regis
    Niall Mason
    Mark Irvine

    Have also been released by Saints.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    Bournemouth confirm signing of Boruc: https://twitter.com/afcbournemouth/s...46081048797186
    Massive signing for them.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disconnect View Post
    Massive signing for them.
    how, he was there last season in the championship

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    how, he was there last season in the championship
    No denying a hugely important signing though, is there.

  28. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    Bournemouth confirm signing of Boruc: https://twitter.com/afcbournemouth/s...46081048797186
    Is that the end of "Irene", or will he/she be back with more insight?

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,793
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    how, he was there last season in the championship
    Because he was a loanee and now he's their player.

    Not hard to understand how signing a player who has just contributed to getting you promoted, who already has experience at that level, is a good signing. The alternative was chucking money at a different keeper who doesn't have the benefit of knowing the squad and setup.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    Was going to say - this means for sure that we'll see 2 keepers IMO. That just leaves Paulo as the U21 GK. (unless you count will britt)
    Harry Isted made his under 21 debut this month.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    Bournemouth confirm signing of Boruc: https://twitter.com/afcbournemouth/s...46081048797186
    Anyone else getting worried, other teams are making signings, feel we are getting left behind. What is Les Reed doing?

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,871
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lets B Avenue View Post
    Is that the end of "Irene", or will he/she be back with more insight?
    Goodnight Irene, hopefully

    Gazzanigga is not u21 keeper, he is already 23, but has been playing for u21s as over age keeper/player. Isted/Britt will probably be u21 keeper(s) next season unless we still need to give Gazza some match practice. I still think that Gazza will be shipped out, either transferred or maybe on loan. His body language after the Villa game suggested to me at least that he was taking in the atmosphere at his final appearance at SMS.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett24 View Post
    Anyone else getting worried, other teams are making signings, feel we are getting left behind. What is Les Reed doing?
    We can't be far from Alpine's first 'we are being left behind' thread of the Summer.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    2,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett24 View Post
    Anyone else getting worried, other teams are making signings, feel we are getting left behind. What is Les Reed doing?
    I think I might know someone

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brett24 View Post
    Anyone else getting worried, other teams are making signings, feel we are getting left behind. What is Les Reed doing?
    Les will let you know when he's completed yet another surprise.Don't be so impatient.
    After all the season only finished two days ago.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,643

    Default

    I thought Niall Mason had already joined Villa?

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,793
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post
    I thought Niall Mason had already joined Villa?
    Doesn't mean he isn't "officially released" at the end of this season though.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    Bournemouth confirm signing of Boruc: https://twitter.com/afcbournemouth/s...46081048797186
    Ah good, I look forward to seeing some bizarre goalmouth activity against Arsenal, on Match of the day next season.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fulchester
    Posts
    9,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Ah good, I look forward to seeing some bizarre goalmouth activity against Arsenal, on Match of the day next season.
    Or begovich scoring from a long rang clearance.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    10,266
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Say what you like, but we have two very obvious problems. Goal keeper and striker. We normally dither our way through the summer transfer market. Let us hope this year is different or we could end up regretting it.

  41. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Say what you like, but we have two very obvious problems. Goal keeper and striker. We normally dither our way through the summer transfer market. Let us hope this year is different or we could end up regretting it.
    Do we? In the 6 years since the Liebherr takeover we've risen from 68th in England to 7th in England. Does that not suggest our transfer strategy has been extremely effective?

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,871
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hasper57saint View Post
    Les will let you know when he's completed yet another surprise.Don't be so impatient.
    After all the season only finished two days ago.
    And the transfer window is not even open.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,793
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    As far as "dithering" goes, we can't exactly formulate a final transfer plan when we don't know if we need to plan for Europa League qualifiers or not.

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    And the transfer window is not even open.
    V.2. The first Transfer Window in any year shall commence at midnight on the last day of the Season and shall end on 31st August next if a Working Day or, if not, on the first Working Daythereafter, at a time to be determined by the Board.

    Page 200...

    http://m.premierleague.com/content/d...ok-2014-15.pdf
    Last edited by Matthew Le God; 26-05-2015 at 01:03 PM.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    5,318
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    how, he was there last season in the championship
    A bit like Bertrand was a good signing for us in January maybe?

  46. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    4,576

    Default

    Surprised about Rowe and also Cropper.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    15,555
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The9 View Post
    As far as "dithering" goes, we can't exactly formulate a final transfer plan when we don't know if we need to plan for Europa League qualifiers or not.
    Would that really shape our plans at all? It could well be only a handful of games.

  48. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Mash View Post
    Would that really shape our plans at all? It could well be only a handful of games.
    Might still be an attraction to players signing though.

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,793
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Mash View Post
    Would that really shape our plans at all? It could well be only a handful of games.
    At this exact moment in time it could be anywhere between 0 (Villa win the FA Cup) and 19 (reach the Final from the 3rd Qualifying Round), extra matches, which is the problem.

    The Europa League Play Off Round is complete on 27th August, which leaves a few days to complete any pending transfers to add to squad depth should we make the Group stages.
    Last edited by The9; 26-05-2015 at 01:47 PM.

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Marooned in Berkshire
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Do we? In the 6 years since the Liebherr takeover we've risen from 68th in England to 7th in England. Does that not suggest our transfer strategy has been extremely effective?
    Worry not, Dalek is a man who could find huge negativity in a 25m euro lottery win

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •