Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

1. Default

Many will disagree but the Blades are probably Sam's level.

Quote Originally Posted by austsaint View Post
    Many will disagree but the Blades are probably Sam's level.
    Agreed championship is the very top of his level

£2m towards that world class centre back we've been tracking, just another £38 to go now. Roll up! Roll up! What am I bid for Harrison Reed?

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    He has pace and is good in the air too, two attributes we're a bit short of right now.
    Mary Poppins was good in the Air but like Sam I don't think there is any evidence that either of them at the moment would make a PL striker but who knows

Can't be any worse than 1 goal Shane long!

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Can't be any worse than 1 goal Shane long!
    Sam only has to get about 7 goals in a season to be in with a chance off being the club golden boot...

7. Default

Sheffield United are heavily interested in signing Southampton striker Sam Gallagher, according to Alan Nixon, a journalist for the Sun.

The 21-year-old spent last season on loan at Birmingham City and impressed with the limited game time he got from the bench, scoring six goals.

Chris Wilder will be keen to build on his side’s performance last season as they pushed admirably for the play-offs on their first season back in the Championship.

Signing a striker to take the responsibility away from Leon Clarke who scored 19 goals last season for the Blades.

Writing on Twitter, Nixon said: “Sheff U. Deffo keen on Sam Gallagher. But that’s an expensive deal…even on loan.”

It is not clear yet whether Wilder wants bring Gallagher in on a loan or on a permanent deal.

The 21-year-old came through the youth ranks at Plymouth Argyle and then at Southampton, before enjoying loan spells at MK Dons, Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham.
    Source: https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jo...united-target/

(I'm sure selling Brooks for £12m will help their finances.)

I still think he'll come good. Sobe on here seem to have forgotten how promising he looked when he came on several times as a sub for Lambert years ago. He's big string and fast, and has shown he has a good shot.

9. Default Blades step up striker chase after Brooks seals Premier League move

Sussex - previously New Milton & Kingsclere

It's a shame when a promising teenager doesn't carry on to make the highest level but if Sheffield United want him, perhaps Sam has developed more than some of us have thought. If Sheffield United are prepared to pay money for him, he can't be far away, but not having seen him play since his time with Birmingham, not sure how we fans can tell. He will be 23 in September so if he is going to be a Premier League player, he probably should be at the level by now and we must assume the coaches have made their assessment. We'll know what it is when we see if the club lets him go or whether he's given a place in the squad.

11. Default

Carillo is offski, so use Gallagher this season. If he doesn't make the grade, then look to sell next year. But don't sell without giving him his chance, please.

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Carillo is offski, so use Gallagher this season. If he doesn't make the grade, then look to sell next year. But don't sell without giving him his chance, please.
    I think this summarises my view too. I think he's had a couple of growth spurts, once when he was on loan and not sure how that (or his family issue) impacted on him, but he's got the speed and height, even if not quite the touch. He's the sort of player who given a decent delivery would score headers against our full backs. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    I think this summarises my view too. I think he's had a couple of growth spurts, once when he was on loan and not sure how that (or his family issue) impacted on him, but he's got the speed and height, even if not quite the touch. He's the sort of player who given a decent delivery would score headers against our full backs. :-)
    Gallagher was about the 25th best striker in the Championship last season. Why anyone thinks he would do well for us in the PL is beyond me.

Keeping Gallagher over signing a reasonable striker who might score some goals would be stupid for a side that scraped safety last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by once_bitterne View Post
    Gallagher was about the 25th best striker in the Championship last season. Why anyone thinks he would do well for us in the PL is beyond me.
    and me

Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere

Yep. Imagine the furore on here is was a Birmingham player and we were interested in buying him? I like the fact that we give players time to develop, but at 23 I fear it aint going to happen for him (or Reed).

From watching him.

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Yep. Imagine the furore on here is was a Birmingham player and we were interested in buying him? I like the fact that we give players time to develop, but at 23 I fear it aint going to happen for him (or Reed).
    The furore over buying highly rated English talent from the Championship? What??

People look at it so black and white. Loan moves are so hit and miss. He probably should leave and make sure he's starting up front for a semi decent side. But we really need a buy back clause. It wouldn't take much for him to really take off, the talent is there.

Personally I think we've already screwed it up. He needed to be part of our squad last season. Yet we persisted with frankly abysmal attackers and denied him any chance. Can't have done much for his morale.

Swear people forget who we have up front when they're talking about our youngsters or potential signings. The bar couldn't be lower.

19. Default

He can't do much worse than Carrillo or Long.

Personally I'd have him as third choice behind Austin and Gabii, as our plan B option. At least give him a chance in to show what he can do I reckon.

People need to remember he had loan spells at two clubs that were crap and not very settled. Did not both Blackburn and Brum change their managers whilst he was there? and I think he was not always played up front or always started.

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    ...I think he was not always played up front or always started.
    Experienced managers felt that he wasn't good enough to start, or play up front, in a struggling championship team but people think he's good enough for us in the prem. I must be missing something.

I'm with tajjuk on this. Anybody who has had the chance to play alongside better players than them will know it makes them play better. As he's homegrown does he count in our squad? Give him an opportunity and then sell in January if the management don't think he'll make it.

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Experienced managers felt that he wasn't good enough to start, or play up front, in a struggling championship team but people think he's good enough for us in the prem. I must be missing something.
    What like Redknapp?

Brum had 3 managers last year, not exactly a good environment for a young player trying to establish himself and despite that he was still their top goalscorer in the league even if was a lowly 6 goals.

I mean he's gone on loan to one club that got relegated from the Championship and another that nearly got relegated and has had 5 managers in just 15 months, hardly a stable environment.

I'd just like to see him being given a chance in a more favourable environment not a crap teams that were likely on the back foot most of the time and were in turmoil. I am not saying he should be our starting striker but I can't see how he'll do much worse than Long or Carrillo.

Get shot.

Ditto Long.

Ditto Carillo.

Forward line badly in need of shaking up.

24. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Get shot.

Ditto Long.

Ditto Carillo.

Forward line badly in need of shaking up.
    That's harsh. We've brought in expensive imports and paid them a fortune yet overlooked our 'young gun' who is free and cheap to run. Unless Mbappe is available for £20M and would take £50k pw, we are stuck with what we have as they are all on contracts with us.

If only he had slotted that chance home that night v Arsenal, how different things might have been.

considering we were prepared to pIśš £20m up the wall on someone hardly getting a game in a lesser league than the Premier League and not having a sparkling strike rate, it’s not going to cost anything to give him a spin, since Pelle left we have had no height options to hit in the box, yes Shane Long has a good leap in him but our defenders gave a better goal return than him.
    Like others have said he has had 2 seasons out on loan with 2 basket case clubs, give him some proper service and the doubters might be surprised. Big lad like him in the box is going to draw the attention of the defenders and likely to give the players with a little more finesse that split second extra to make an impact.
    Anyway he is out in China, Sparky and his boys are no doubt getting a good look at him if they deem a loan is needed again, then probably best for Sam to get a bit more permanency in his life.

He's in the squad for China, Hughes will get a proper look at him then and he'll get a chance to show what he can do.

Gallagher to Sheffield United when we sign Ings from Liverpool according to reports...

I'd keep Gallagher as 4th choice personally but there we go...

28. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Based on what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Gallagher to Sheffield United when we sign Ings from Liverpool according to reports...

Get rid of a promising young striker to bring in one whose best days are probably over (due to two ACL injuries in two years) - doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    Get rid of a promising young striker to bring in one whose best days are probably over (due to two ACL injuries in two years) - doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    What? It's a brilliant plan. If we ensure that Ings and Austin schedule their injuries at different times, we'll get a full season of prolific goalscoring between the two of them.

31. Default

Quote Originally Posted by batterseasaint View Post
    What? It's a brilliant plan. If we ensure that Ings and Austin schedule their injuries at different times, we'll get a full season of prolific goalscoring between the two of them.
    Or perhaps we are considering a reverse takeover of a retirement home

Quote Originally Posted by positivepete View Post
    Or perhaps we are considering a reverse takeover of a retirement home
    Ah, those memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Based on what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Based on exceptionally good loan spells at Blackburn and Birmingham. He looked streets ahead of Gabbi yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
    Based on exceptionally good loan spells at Blackburn and Birmingham. He looked streets ahead of Gabbi yesterday.
    What do you mean by exceptionally good loan spells at Birmingham what is that based on surely not by goals scored

Blog Entries

It is a no brainer. He should be given a shot in the team just as much as Long and Austin. He has proven himself at every level he's been tested at.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    It is a no brainer. He should be given a shot in the team just as much as Long and Austin. He has proven himself at every level he's been tested at.
    He was dropped by a struggling Birmingham team wasn’t he ?

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesaint View Post
    He was dropped by a struggling Birmingham team wasn’t he ?
    Yep. Imagine the uproar if we were signing a striker from Birmingham who'd been dropped and scored 6 goals in 33 games in the previous season. Nobody would see such a player as our solution.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Yep. Imagine the uproar if we were signing a striker from Birmingham who'd been dropped and scored 6 goals in 33 games in the previous season. Nobody would see such a player as our solution.
    It’s also amusing the ones who say he should be given a run of games to prove himself. Are they the same ones who lamblasted the management for giving the likes of Redmond a run of games and spent the whole time slagging him off from his first game saying he was sh*t and should be dropped?

You’d have thought given the manager and coaches, seeing as how they work with the player every day, see them in training, in training matches and know far more about the player than any one posting on an Internet forum there really isn’t a need to throw them in the team for 10 games, deliberately weakening the team in the process, so they can try and prove they are good enough when they’ve done nothing in their entire career to suggest they are going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    It’s also amusing the ones who say he should be given a run of games to prove himself. Are they the same ones who lamblasted the management for giving the likes of Redmond a run of games and spent the whole time slagging him off from his first game saying he was sh*t and should be dropped?

You’d have thought given the manager and coaches, seeing as how they work with the player every day, see them in training, in training matches and know far more about the player than any one posting on an Internet forum there really isn’t a need to throw them in the team for 10 games, deliberately weakening the team in the process, so they can try and prove they are good enough when they’ve done nothing in their entire career to suggest they are going to be.
    Getting a run of games for any player will do them good so I wouldn’t dismiss the theory. However, Sam is not there yet. I simply meant he had decent loan spells atBlackburn and Birmingham to take him back close to the level he was at when he first broke in to our first team. He had to work quite hard for his six goals at Birmingham - working under Harry Redknapp, being dropped, played in different positions all for a crap side that gave him poor service. As a developing player he’s done well but still has a way to go. The fact that he outshone Gabbi the other day just shows how much he’s fallen way from his early form

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Probably not, there isn't one Saints Web opinion. But what you can confidently say is that there will be a constituency of fans who will be on his back if he is given a run in the team.

Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere

Maybe Carillo leaving does give him a chance??

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Maybe Carillo leaving does give him a chance??
    A chance to be fourth choice, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    A chance to be fourth choice, maybe.
    He wouldn't have to do much to better Long's goal tally the last two seasons tbf

44. Default

Sheffield United: Blades boss confirms bids have been lodged for his leading transfer targets as key figure returns to Bramall Lane:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/shef...lane-1-9240594

Good mate of mine supports Birmingham City... Reckons that Cotteril was a terrible Manager, and kept playing players out of position, including Sam Gallagher whom he insisted played on the right wing.

Once Monk was appointed and Gallagher played in his proper position, his form improved markedly, along with many others in the team. Birmingham pretty much did a Southampton, in that they looked relegated but changed manager just in time and somehow managed to stay up.

I think properly managed and given a run, Gallagher could be useful but would not expect him to have a heap of game time, so he may opt to leave anyway. If the Blades or anyone else offered a decent chunk of coin, I would be fine with him leaving, as long as Saints look at another forward option (not Ings).

Quote Originally Posted by hans gruber View Post
    Good mate of mine supports Birmingham City... Reckons that Cotteril was a terrible Manager, and kept playing players out of position, including Sam Gallagher whom he insisted played on the right wing.

Once Monk was appointed and Gallagher played in his proper position, his form improved markedly, along with many others in the team. Birmingham pretty much did a Southampton, in that they looked relegated but changed manager just in time and somehow managed to stay up.

I think properly managed and given a run, Gallagher could be useful but would not expect him to have a heap of game time, so he may opt to leave anyway. If the Blades or anyone else offered a decent chunk of coin, I would be fine with him leaving, as long as Saints look at another forward option (not Ings).
    Not quite sure why you have such an aversion to Ings but still...

Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    pre ACL, would have loved Ings at Saints, but for me, a player is only ever rarely anywhere near as good as they were pre ACL, and the risk of a recurrence is always a worry.

Nothing against Ings personally, would just be gutted if we spent the 20 mill or whatever it is on him and he went down again.

Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post

Some players are just injury prone like Sturridge, Carroll, Ings, Austin and Wilshire. It's not that they aren't good players but unless they are on a free and cheap in wages a club is better off spending money on players who will make a more useful contribution to a
    season other than just keeping the club physio in work.

49. Default

The issue with Ings is that he seems to have had two major injuries in BOTH knees, so 4 major knee injuries in his career.

That is a worry for any player, and whether he can get back to what he was doing for Burnley is debatable. Liverpool was a bad move for him, he was what 22, had just had a very good debut PL season and then went to a club where he was always going to be on the bench. I'm sure his bank balance was decent but hardly helped his career even without the injuries.

2015 Ings I'd have had in a heartbeat, he was quick, had good movement, could dribble past people but you have to worry that his pace, acceleration and agility are going to be restricted by the injuries

We might as well have kept Jay Rod, at least he has shown signs of getting back to near his best after his injury, I haven't seen much of Ings since his return to injury so not sure how he is playing but I presume he is fit as he scored in their friendly win against Chester.

I'd like to think we'd keep Gallagher and give him a go, he's been on loan for two years to Championship clubs who have been relegation threatened and changed managers all the time so against all that has done relatively well (think he was top scorer for both Blackburn and Brum). I'd like to see how he'd do in a more settled team with better players, especially as someone who is 6' 4" and decently mobile which is something we don't really have, he can't do much worse than Long.

Like Reed, I think he's got something about him. He's hardly had a sustained run so it'd be interesting to see what he'd be like with a few games under his belt, not 10 minutes here or there.

A better assessment of his ability level would probably to ask the teams fans who he has been on loan to.