Sam Gallagher - Joins Blackburn: Official

Sergei Gotsmanov

or Long? It seemed like Long was going to Scotland a couple of weeks ago, and SPL can still sign players. It may be that the deal stalled because Saints could not get his replacement (Ings). Now they have the deal could be resolved. Ings and Long are very similar and it seems more likely that Ings replaces Long than Sam.

More likely the deal has stalled because Celtic didn't qualify for the Champions League this week, and so can't afford Long. Don't think any other club in Scotland could come close to covering his wages.

More likely the deal has stalled because Celtic didn't qualify for the Champions League this week, and so can't afford Long. Don't think any other club in Scotland could come close to covering his wages.

You’d have thought we’d be happy to subsidise wages to get some of these players off our books, like we have with Carrillo and Boufal.

Better to sell Forster, Long and Davis and pay half the wages of the reminder of their contracts, than have them sitting here doing sod all.

The deal, if there was one stalled long before Celtic's European demise.

or Long? It seemed like Long was going to Scotland a couple of weeks ago, and SPL can still sign players. It may be that the deal stalled because Saints could not get his replacement (Ings). Now they have the deal could be resolved. Ings and Long are very similar and it seems more likely that Ings replaces Long than Sam.

Is there any credible evidence for that?

Would suggest that he is actually kind of for sale, Hughes has otherwise intimated that both Gallagher and Long are very much part of his first team plans.

Edit - scrub that, I've just seen the source is Alan Nixon.

Edited by Faz

• 1 month later...
Probably through putting in too much effort trying to be noticed ahead of players who either can’t hit a cows backside with a Banjo and the other who looks bloody knackered after 20 minutes.

just imagine too much effort..........we have a certain Mr.Long that does that and gets picked.......priceless.

• 4 weeks later...

Is Sam still injured? Find it strange he hasn’t been given a chance alongside Ings yet, considering the woes of our other forwards. He has the physical profile that would suit the current formation the most out of the other three options, but no sign he’s anywhere near the first team. Would happily get rid of Long and Austin in Jan (as we should’ve done in the summer) but expect Gallagher will be the most likely to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Sam still injured? Find it strange he hasn’t been given a chance alongside Ings yet, considering the woes of our other forwards. He has the physical profile that would suit the current formation the most out of the other three options, but no sign he’s anywhere near the first team. Would happily get rid of Long and Austin in Jan (as we should’ve done in the summer) but expect Gallagher will be the most likely to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played for the U23s last week, so not injured. Didn't have a good game though, subbed off early.

Played for the U23s last week, so not injured. Didn't have a good game though, subbed off early.

You could hardly blame him for being less than enthused (If that were the case). Pretty certain he got a renewed contract recently keeping him here until 2021(?). Same old inert strikers being named in the squad for first team games pointlessly running about the pitch or cluttering up the bench. I certainly would be bloody frustrated and slightly lacking in motivation.

Just be good to see him given a run out and given as much of chance as Messrs Long and Austin have underservedly enjoyed.

Edited by John Boy Saint

You hardly blame him for being less than enthused (If that were the case). Pretty certain he got a renewed contract recently keeping him here until 2021(?). Same old inert strikers being named in the squad for first team games pointlessly running about the pitch or cluttering up the bench. I certainly would be bloody frustrated and slightly lacking in motivation.

Just be good to see him given a run out and given as much of chance as Messrs Long and Austin have underservedly enjoyed.

Exactly. I don't think anyone has suggested that he is going to be a new star striker and wow us all. We'd just be happy to have a couple of average strikers up front that will score one maybe just every three, even four games. That's better than we are using now and seeing as he's already at the club, better to try him that splash out on another Carrilo.

You could hardly blame him for being less than enthused (If that were the case). Pretty certain he got a renewed contract recently keeping him here until 2021(?). Same old inert strikers being named in the squad for first team games pointlessly running about the pitch or cluttering up the bench. I certainly would be bloody frustrated and slightly lacking in motivation.

He gets the chance every single day in training. You seem to imply that it’s no big deal he wasn’t enthused playing for the development squad. Personally, I think that just reinforces Hughes decision, bloke whose done **** all in the game not enthused because it’s not a first team game, shocking.

At the end of the day, if he was anywhere near ready to play, he’d have been in given the duds we’ve got. The fact he’s not is because he’s nowhere near good enough at the moment. Instead of wondering why he’s not playing, you should be wondering how poor he must be that Austin, Long & Gabbi are seen as a better bet at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you, JBS. He was likely told this was to be his breakthrough season, so signed the new contract and readied himself for first team action. Only now it is hitting him he won't be seeing first team action, and the Club aren't letting go anywhere else, so his career is stalling. No wonder he couldn't muster the energy for the U23s. Play him or release him time. I say "play him".

He gets the chance every single day in training. You seem to imply that it’s no big deal he wasn’t enthused playing for the development squad. Personally, I think that just reinforces Hughes decision, bloke whose done **** all in the game not enthused because it’s not a first team game, shocking.

At the end of the day, if he was anywhere near ready to play, he’d have been in given the duds we’ve got. The fact he’s not is because he’s nowhere near good enough at the moment. Instead of wondering why he’s not playing, you should be wondering how poor he must be that Austin, Long & Gabbi are seen as a better bet at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's because MH would rather keep playing the duds in the mistaken belief that given time the duds will start scoring. The biggest fools are those that don't learn from experience.

He gets the chance every single day in training.

This is how I feel too. He has a chance every day to impress. If he was banging them in at training and doing more than Austin, Long, Gabbi and Ings then Hughes would surely give him a chance like any sane person would. Clearly he isn't doing enough to warrant a place.

Easier to assume Hughes is just stubborn and stupid though.

It's because MH would rather keep playing the duds in the mistaken belief that given time the duds will start scoring. The biggest fools are those that don't learn from experience.

Exactly this, not just duds but experienced duds. Hughes is not prepared to take a chance, he just wants to persist with Austin, Gabbi and Long in the foolish misbelief that they will eventually come good. No one thinks Gallagher is the answer to whatever the question is, but at least give him a proper go in a proper match (maybe Man City is not the time or the place), he may not do any better than the current crew, but then neither could he do any worse. At least given the opportunity we will know, otherwise what was the point in keeping him at St Mary's when we could have eiither loaned him out again or sold him.

Hughes has zero track record of being interested in Young players. I doubt its got anything to do with performance in training and everything to do with the Chicken/Egg scenario where he thinks playing a dud in long who's had 200 premier league games is safer than taking a risk on a player who has played a handful of premier league games in 13/14. He impressed off the bench in his single appearance in the league cup and then then didn't even make the bench as hughes preferred his experienced duds.

Hughes has zero track record of being interested in Young players. I doubt its got anything to do with performance in training and everything to do with the Chicken/Egg scenario where he thinks playing a dud in long who's had 200 premier league games is safer than taking a risk on a player who has played a handful of premier league games in 13/14. He impressed off the bench in his single appearance in the league cup and then then didn't even make the bench as hughes preferred his experienced duds.

See that a few of the u23s are taking part in first team training, shame if Sam has done his hammy.

What a shock. Hughes tells echo that everyone is fit and well.

So has useless Hughes just forgotten Sam even exists?

I think you might be getting overly worked up about this. Sam hasn't really been part of the first team so far his season so why would Hughes mention it? He probably just wanted an easy answer to a basic question rather than detailing all the injuries our reserve team have.

As Einstein put it :

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Pleased he got some minutes today. How did he do?
He was a body. Challenged for some headers. Closed down defenders. That was it - we'd already stopped playing by the time he came on.

I wouldn't even say he was feeding on scraps. What's less than scraps? Dust?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He was a body. Challenged for some headers. Closed down defenders. That was it - we'd already stopped playing by the time he came on.

I wouldn't even say he was feeding on scraps. What's less than scraps? Dust?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Nice charge down on the keeper, some solid defensive work.

Should have perhaps done more in the last minute when Stephens mistake gave him the ball.

Redmond was utterly selfish too when we got a rare attack.

Doesn’t look like he’s improved in the air since he played 4/5 years ago. If we were going to use him as a target man, Austin would have been a better bet. Gallager’s much more mobile yet we rarely hit balls down the channels for him to chase and stretch Brighton.

Doesn’t look like he’s improved in the air since he played 4/5 years ago. If we were going to use him as a target man, Austin would have been a better bet. Gallager’s much more mobile yet we rarely hit balls down the channels for him to chase and stretch Brighton.

He's just so short of minutes, though.

Having been an admirer of him, have to say he needs to move on. He is not a good fit for us unfortunately, and we are not for him. I am sure he will do well elsewhere - possibly a high Championship side. We moved on Gabbi, so do we really think Sam is better?

Keeping him on gives fans, club and Sam false hopes and prevents the path for other potential academy hopefuls. Best option for all sides IMHO.

Having been an admirer of him, have to say he needs to move on. He is not a good fit for us unfortunately, and we are not for him. I am sure he will do well elsewhere - possibly a high Championship side. We moved on Gabbi, so do we really think Sam is better?

Keeping him on gives fans, club and Sam false hopes and prevents the path for other potential academy hopefuls. Best option for all sides IMHO.

I do wonder if when the summer comes around that we find out he's actually one of our more sell-able assets.

As mentioned above, appears to be second choice striker now for the short term. Wouldn’t surprise me if this was a warm up for him starting at Liverpool. Ralph likes to throw players in the deep end and he’d be much more of a nuisance than Austin in that game, as Austin hardly touched the ball against Spurs.

Was absolutely magnificent. Looks to be the complete forward, great in the air, pace, power, great touch. It was obvious why Birmingham fans loved him and so many championship clubs wanted him. The new Marco Van Basten. I can see why his cause has been championed by certain posters for so long.

Was absolutely magnificent. Looks to be the complete forward, great in the air, pace, power, great touch. It was obvious why Birmingham fans loved him and so many championship clubs wanted him. The new Marco Van Basten. I can see why his cause has been championed by certain posters for so long.
All he has needed is a fair run in the team. Say, thirty or forty consecutive Premier League starts to show he truly is world class like what his mum says.