Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Jwp can at best hope to be a mediocre foitballer at the peak of his abilities. There is a reason why he is still here through all the "clearance sales" we have had each summer. It is because no one wants to buy him.

Bar a dead ball whip, the guy is an excruciatingly poor footballer to watch at this standard.

He's 22 ffs. Sure maybe he'll never become a top level player but he's well on track to be a good premier league midfielder

He's 22 ffs. Sure maybe he'll never become a top level player but he's well on track to be a good premier league midfielder

I know , Most players would love to have the played the games and gained all the accolades he has from ex players , Managers and pundits at that age ?

So what's your point? That we should settle for second rate? That we shouldn't bother trying to find the next van d-ick? That we should just be happy buying some gash not even better than what we have?

No.

I'd agree with him tbf towards the end of the season he was playing very well there hence the full England call up (he got on the pitch over Barkley who people are advocating paying decent money for) last season was his best so far imo and every season he has always got better . That's not to say this isn't a big season for him he needs to make another step up and be consistent , If he can maybe we'll finally put the "Jwp is he any good" debate to rest ! (And then expect a bid from the dippers)

He improved last season but I don't want to see him playing on the right all he did was slow down our attacking moves most of the time. As a player he is a jack of all trades and master of none as useful squad player who can slot into a number of positions and do a job but none particularly well.

Not neccessarily IMO. What club needs more than 3 fully fit strikers competing for 1 spot in the starting 11? I know gallagher and gabi can play on the left or right wing aswell but theyre primarily strikers so i think trimming down is a great idea. That being said i would be up for a player of vietto or someone with similar pedigree replacing long.

Doubtful we'll splash out more than what we get for shlong tho.

Therein lies the rub.

Lemina deal really close. Should be closed out today.

Loan offer made for goalkeeper.

In discussions with three CB's to replace VVD. Only one will be signed.

Another loan offer with option to buy made for an attacking player.

Will be 4 signings before end of window apparently. Three expected to go out. VVD, Gazzaniga (although might change if we don't secure a loan) and one other.

+

Vietto has been told he can leave Atleti fwiw. Although only for a fee, not a loan. May be something we're monitoring in the back ground. I certainly wouldn't be against that as a swap.

+

Sky Bet release odds on Shane Long's next club, make Burnley favourites to sign Southampton striker:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/10/sky-bet-release-odds-on-shane-longs-next-club-with-burnley-favou/

--------------------------------------------------------

= :suspicious: :suspicious: :suspicious:

Jwp can at best hope to be a mediocre foitballer at the peak of his abilities. There is a reason why he is still here through all the "clearance sales" we have had each summer. It is because no one wants to buy him.

Bar a dead ball whip, the guy is an excruciatingly poor footballer to watch at this standard.

You're a pillock.

Behave.

I agree with him. Hes had bundles of talent his whole career. The problem was he wasn't a cdm or cam and that's how we set up our midfield. He didn't seem to fit in anywhere, last season he came on in leaps and bounds. Him, Redmond and tadic as attacking players looked excellent when our defence began to crumble. I can understand complaining about our players and I can understand being wrong but doing both at the same time makes you look like a Pillock or a skate...

Not sure The Express have ever got a story right.

Good player. Fits our criteria, but wouldn't have thought £3m would get accepted by Celtic.

According to the Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/celtic-midfielder-stuart-armstrong-wanted-10968135) his contract runs out next summer with talks having broken down on a new one.

JWP was probably our 2nd best performer over the course of last season, he's really starting to improve at a faster and faster rate.

Can see him being a very promient figure in the next season or two, keep in mind he's the same age as the "young, inexperienced" stephens, yet JWP has over 100 Premier League apps to his name.

He'd be in my starting 11 every week, very underated.

JWP was probably our 2nd best performer over the course of last season, he's really starting to improve at a faster and faster rate.

Can see him being a very promient figure in the next season or two, keep in mind he's the same age as the "young, inexperienced" stephens, yet JWP has over 100 Premier League apps to his name.

He'd be in my starting 11 every week, very underated.

Come off it.

Van Dijk

Yoshida

Romeu

Gabbiadini

Cedric

Bertrand

Redmond

all much more consistent.

Come off it.

Van Dijk

Yoshida

Romeu

Gabbiadini

Cedric

Bertrand

Redmond

Exactly. JWP is definitely showing - slowly but surely - progress, but claims he should be the first, or even one of the first names on the teamsheet are ludicrous.

Also, people use the argument that he's had lots of games despite his young age. Surely that's a reason why he should be further in his development? People are giving Stephens the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't had chance to adapt/learn/improve as a first team player, but JWP has had that chance for a number of years now. By the same token it's also silly to write him off as "excruciatingly poor", I think he has potential to become a good Premier League player but isn't there yet.

Come off it.

Van Dijk

Yoshida

Romeu

Gabbiadini

Cedric

Bertrand

Redmond

I said probably, not definitely :-)

For me, the following applies

Romeu was the stand out player of last season, in front of JWP by miles!

Van Dijk, Yosh, Gabbiadini only really had half a season each, which is why i stated over the course of the season JWP would shade it for me.

I Thought Bertrand had his worse half a season under us in the second half (Although I think he's our second best player behind VVD)

Redmond never lacking in effort but at times he was very poor, especially his finishing (due to the number of games if anything)

Cedric is certainly a good debate, his improvement last season was almost as noticeable as JWP.

You aren't a pillock but 100% wrong on JWP. One of our stars and loyal lay off him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He isn't one of our "stars" and loyalty is easy to come by when no one is interested in you. If Liverpool come in with a mega £60 million bid next summer and JWP turns then down then we can applaud his loyalty.

He isn't one of our "stars" and loyalty is easy to come by when no one is interested in you. If Liverpool come in with a mega £60 million bid next summer and JWP turns then down then we can applaud his loyalty.

He is certainly one of our best young players? I think he counts as a star.

He is certainly one of our best young players? I think he counts as a star.

Nah. He doesn't 'get' football i.e. mentally he's not a footballer* and this means he could get in the way of Josh Sims who, when fit, most certainly does 'get' football and should become bloody damn good.

*How many times do you see him show for the ball and then once he has it just pass it straight back to the person who gave it to him (who often has 2 or 3 players on him) or just picks the open, safe pass rather than look up and try to make something happen? By that he passes back to the defence or even the goalie. He can't see space like e.g. Boufal, he doesn't have the instinct for running behind players like Gabbiadini, defensively ...(enough said), can't work the ball purposefully like Davis, doesn't have Stephens' vision and appreciation of space, etc, etc. And he's had five years and still struggles (and panics) with the speed of the game. I don't consider that getting 2 minutes at the end of a meaningless friendly from his mate Gareth makes him an international player either. He's exactly like England in that he'll look ok against poor opposition but when he gets to play against the good teams he gets underwhelmed. He also hides a bit at times; watch some of his runs where rather than coming short and to the side for the ball he runs into where the oppostion player is so he knows he won't be passed to (not too sure about that last bit: I've seen it a couple of times but not enough to make a full judgement). Someone else said he had a poor touch but he usually only receives decent balls to feet from a short distance so I can't comment on that but I can think of any other member of the squad pretty much and find something about them, even the super lightweight Hesketh but I've only seen JWP look any good for England U21s a couple of times.

Nah. He doesn't 'get' football i.e. mentally he's not a footballer* and this means he could get in the way of Josh Sims who, when fit, most certainly does 'get' football and should become bloody damn good.

*How many times do you see him show for the ball and then once he has it just pass it straight back to the person who gave it to him (who often has 2 or 3 players on him) or just picks the open, safe pass rather than look up and try to make something happen? By that he passes back to the defence or even the goalie. He can't see space like e.g. Boufal, he doesn't have the instinct for running behind players like Gabbiadini, defensively ...(enough said), can't work the ball purposefully like Davis, doesn't have Stephens' vision and appreciation of space, etc, etc. And he's had five years and still struggles (and panics) with the speed of the game. I don't consider that getting 2 minutes at the end of a meaningless friendly from his mate Gareth makes him an international player either. He's exactly like England in that he'll look ok against poor opposition but when he gets to play against the good teams he gets underwhelmed. He also hides a bit at times; watch some of his runs where rather than coming short and to the side for the ball he runs into where the oppostion player is so he knows he won't be passed to (not too sure about that last bit: I've seen it a couple of times but not enough to make a full judgement). Someone else said he had a poor touch but he usually only receives decent balls to feet from a short distance so I can't comment on that but I can think of any other member of the squad pretty much and find something about them, even the super lightweight Hesketh but I've only seen JWP look any good for England U21s a couple of times.

Wow. Just wow.

Good luck with the FIFA pro license

Tierney is the one we should be after from Celtic - that lad will be properly top drawer in a few seasons either as a LB or CB

I was going to type the same thing. He has also played right back a fair bit too, showing his versatility. I guess whilst Cedric and Bertrand are here he/we might be reluctant to make that move, but the fact his coach has said that once he fills out he will make a decent CB means he could get games no matter what. I've seen him linked with United, but so was Clyne and he came to us. Maybe he is too expensive for us now?

Ironically those that deliver the UEFA Pro Licence and A licences at SGP are big fans of JWP.

We absolutely do have a good number of bellends on here. Seems everyone in football - outside of the more moronic elements of our fanbase - really rate JWP. Still, the armchair generals on here are no doubt right and everyone else is wrong......

I'm not a great fan of his, but to say he doesn't "get football" is just complete & utter nonsense. He reads the game incredibly well for a youngish player,tactically he's sound and his technique is really good . My doubts are that he's one paced, pretty slow, and he's not physically strong enough. There were signs last year that he's getting there, so this season will be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a great fan of his, but to say he doesn't "get football" is just complete & utter nonsense. He reads the game incredibly well for a youngish player,tactically he's sound and his technique is really good . My doubts are that he's one paced, pretty slow, and he's not physically strong enough. There were signs last year that he's getting there, so this season will be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His speed is my biggest complaint yes.

We can always hope that JWP will actually be what we hoped others would be---a loyal one club man, we are his home team amd I hope he gets the support he needs and deserves instead of ridiculous criticism from people who call themselves fans.

We can always hope that JWP will actually be what we hoped others would be---a loyal one club man, we are his home team amd I hope he gets the support he needs and deserves instead of ridiculous criticism from people who call themselves fans.

His home team is actually the skates but we'll forget about that.

JWP is a great player for a club like ours to have.

Great in terms of he's a very funny man, and a great character for sure, but let's not pretend JWP has ever played well for Southampton Football Club at any moment. To expect him to perform at Premier League level is unfair on the lad actually. He still hasn't had his season long loan at the level he needs to get game time, League 1 or at best lower league Championship, so how can we realistically expect the lad to put in good performances in the Premier League?

Totally unfair to criticise him, even though it's true that he's been woeful for us. He needs lower league experience and he will then have a chance to create a professional career in football for himself somewhere down the ladder.

Edited by niceandfriendly

Great in terms of he's a very funny man, and a great character for sure, but let's not pretend JWP has ever played well for Southampton Football Club at any moment. To expect him to perform at Premier League level is unfair on the lad actually. He still hasn't had his season long loan at the level he needs to get game time, League 1 or at best lower league Championship, so how can we realistically expect the lad to put in good performances in the Premier League?

Totally unfair to criticise him, even though it's true that he's been woeful for us. He needs lower league experience and he will then have a chance to create a professional career in football for himself somewhere down the ladder.

Wrong page. The Crap Joke Suppository is over on the muppet show.

That's a shame, the Old Bill obviously shut down the Friday night lock in earlier than planned........... that said it's amazing how giddy folks can get on a can and a half of Top Deck Shandy!!!

We absolutely do have a good number of bellends on here. Seems everyone in football - outside of the more moronic elements of our fanbase - really rate JWP. Still, the armchair generals on here are no doubt right and everyone else is wrong......

This. If the team in charge (and ultimately accountable) for player and squad development feel JWP and others are assets for our club, then so be it and I support them. That is not to say it is not at times extremely frustrating when some or indeed all of the team do not perform to their full potential at all times (ala consistently), but if they did they would be bought by top clubs in a heart beat.

We have come a very long way in a few years, and if we can stay top half by living within our means for the next 2 to 3 years we will be ok - and maybe KL will find the investment we need to move on. If not, I am happy to live within our means and in the PL for as long as we can, and the longer that is the more difficult it will be for other non PL clubs to catch us (Leeds, Aston Villa etc.).

For those that want to replace JWP for a better player - question how much would you pay? When you think we have just paid £5M for an unknown and by most on here "rubbish" Polish CM who will not be first team regular for many years if ever - what would an improvement on a English under 21 Captain, with a great deal of PL experience cost?? I suggest beyond our current means/budget. So whilst we all want us to be ambitious, I for one want us to be ambitious within our our current means.

One area I do think we can improve on is off-field commercial revenues - after all, isn't what Ralph was brought on for with all his connections?

If you think no one wants ward prowse then you're a moron. A young English midfielder with an England cap and over 100 prem appearances. Just because you don't hear about clubs with 30+ million offers doesn't mean people don't want him. This forum...
Oddly the media has never ever even had a sniff of a rumour though about JWP ...

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If you think no one wants ward prowse then you're a moron. A young English midfielder with an England cap and over 100 prem appearances. Just because you don't hear about clubs with 30+ million offers doesn't mean people don't want him. This forum...

We are a club that has had millions of pounds of talent praised away from us in the last few seasons and in all that time no one has (at least publically) ever made a bid for him if is in such high demand why is that?