Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

The likes of Wimmer and Gibson at those quoted prices would be poor buys IMO.

But quite possibly having Bednarek starting on Saturday shows we haven't handled our CB situation well since the day we let Fonte leaving before securing a replacement.

Who would you go for instead of Wimmer and Gibson? Genuine question as I'm not too knowledgable on current up and coming cb's around the world who we could go for if I am honest :)

I'd have Gibson but not at £30 million, plus I kind of feel he's basically Stephens, we have our own home grown 24 year old centre-back that plays in a similar way.

Plus that article is correct, we need the aerial presence.

I also reckon the Sun is basically just putting 2 + 2 and getting 5 with that Gibson link. Probably his agent stirring up some interest because no one has met Borough's valuation.

Lemina deal really close. Should be closed out today.

Loan offer made for goalkeeper.

In discussions with three CB's to replace VVD. Only one will be signed.

Another loan offer with option to buy made for an attacking player.

Will be 4 signings before end of window apparently. Three expected to go out. VVD, Gazzaniga (although might change if we don't secure a loan) and one other.

Will be 4 signings before end of window apparently. Three expected to go out. VVD, Gazzaniga (although might change if we don't secure a loan) and one other.

Thanks. Any clues on whether these are first team starters or squad players?

Interesting. Wonder if loan is Patrick Roberts?

Cheers for that but why are they letting the dutch co ck womble get his way?

Cheers Tom.

So a good transfer profit of 50m I reckon when VVD leaves.

Not surprised VVD thinks we lack ambition.

At the richest time in the history of football when players are going for over €200m stingy saints still looking for loans ! :mcinnes:

So we're selling Van Dijk for, presumably, a flipping fortune, but are only looking at signing two permanent deals and a couple of loans?

We really are skint, aren't we?

The Fonte money paid for Bednarek, the Rodriguez money looks like it'll cover most of the Lemina fee. And I'm guessing our Van Dijk replacement won't cost £50m.

Another profitable transfer window, then...

So we're selling Van Dijk for, presumably, a flipping fortune, but are only looking at signing two permanent deals and a couple of loans?

We really are skint, aren't we?

The Fonte money paid for Bednarek, the Rodriguez money looks like it'll cover most of the Lemina fee. And I'm guessing our Van Dijk replacement won't cost £50m.

Another profitable transfer window, then...

All depends if it loan with option to purchase for x amount. Same as the deal for RB from Chelsea

At the richest time in the history of football when players are going for over €200m stingy saints still looking for loans ! :mcinnes:

Considering the clubs plan for this year was seemingly to sign players to long contracts and maintain some stability I don't think the idea of bringing in lots of new players was ever really something to be expected. We also have a pretty decently sized squad too i'd say.

If VVD is going he needs replacing which it sounds like we are doing and we also have got Bednarek already. McCarthy is seemingly injured again and with Taylor and Gazzaniga the backups I think the idea of a superior goalie on loan is not necessarily a bad one (though it does beg the question why we bothered with Taylor in the first place if so). Lemina is a brand new signing though it wouldn't surprise me if the other one to go was Clasie given his lack of game time pre-season so that follows the 1 in - 1 out scenario.

The attacking player on loan is an interesting one - we have decent options going forwards with Redmond, Tadic, Boufal, Long, Austin, Gabbi etc...so there isn't a particular need for a player in that position. Possibly we think we see a good possible deal but price/wages are a possible issue so want to 'try before we buy'. To me sounds like the kind of situation that could occur with Barkley who some have said we've been interested in?

So 2 loans - one for what is basically emergency goalie cover and another for a position we are already well stocked in and there is a potentially high risk (and where we also want an option to buy anyway). Seems to me more of a case of why spend when it's not necessary?

Considering the clubs plan for this year was seemingly to sign players to long contracts and maintain some stability I don't think the idea of bringing in lots of new players was ever really something to be expected. We also have a pretty decently sized squad too i'd say.

If VVD is going he needs replacing which it sounds like we are doing and we also have got Bednarek already. McCarthy is seemingly injured again and with Taylor and Gazzaniga the backups I think the idea of a superior goalie on loan is not necessarily a bad one (though it does beg the question why we bothered with Taylor in the first place if so). Lemina is a brand new signing though it wouldn't surprise me if the other one to go was Clasie given his lack of game time pre-season so that follows the 1 in - 1 out scenario.

The attacking player on loan is an interesting one - we have decent options going forwards with Redmond, Tadic, Boufal, Long, Austin, Gabbi etc...so there isn't a particular need for a player in that position. Possibly we think we see a good possible deal but price/wages are a possible issue so want to 'try before we buy'. To me sounds like the kind of situation that could occur with Barkley who some have said we've been interested in?

So 2 loans - one for what is basically emergency goalie cover and another for a position we are already well stocked in and there is a potentially high risk (and where we also want an option to buy anyway). Seems to me more of a case of why spend when it's not necessary?

A sensible post.

You'd have to assume the attacking loan would be Roberts.

Can play the 10 role or wide, clearly has talent and is still a young guy, made a move to a top side as a kid and hasn't worked, isn't going to get a look in at City, doesn't appear to be on his way back to Celtic, is untested at Prem level so we want to see how he goes and if he's good, then take up the option.

Basically ticks all the Saints boxes and makes perfect sense to loan someone like him first - win win really.

Agree, I'd say with Lemina coming in Clasie will be the 3rd to leave.

I'd say the 3 CB options are Sakho, Wilmer, Gibson

The attacking player Roberts

Cheers for that but why are they letting the dutch co ck womble get his way?

Because he's a £50-£75m asset.

We are a business, we are (rightly) not going to throw away £50-£75m. As much as the fans and many neutrals would like to see it, it's not going to happen.

Agree, I'd say with Lemina coming in Clasie will be the 3rd to leave.

I'd say the 3 CB options are Sakho, Wilmer, Gibson

The attacking player Roberts

Liverpool will not sell us Sakho, if we are refusing to deal with them for VvD, will they :lol:

I don't see an issue with Loans with an option to buy (as long as it's water tight, unlike Toby...). It's almost a try before you buy.

You'd have to assume the attacking loan would be Roberts.

Can play the 10 role or wide, clearly has talent and is still a young guy, made a move to a top side as a kid and hasn't worked, isn't going to get a look in at City, doesn't appear to be on his way back to Celtic, is untested at Prem level so we want to see how he goes and if he's good, then take up the option.

Basically ticks all the Saints boxes and makes perfect sense to loan someone like him first - win win really.

It does look that kind of way. Have to say I've not been massively impressed with Roberts on the few bits I've seen and it's not really an area we need strengthening either. Certainly won't be Barkley - any option to buy would be worthless as he'd be out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

It does look that kind of way. Have to say I've not been massively impressed with Roberts on the few bits I've seen and it's not really an area we need strengthening either. Certainly won't be Barkley - any option to buy would be worthless as he'd be out of contract at the end of the season anyway.

I genuinely don't know why people are talking about Barkley - he's set his stall out for a big club and turned down 100k a week at Everton. he is 100% not going to consider moving to us

Scottish sun saying he favours a move to Celtic, but City aren't as keen.

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/08/08/patrick-roberts-knows-where-he-wants-to-play-this-season-amid-celtic-and-southampton-interest-report/

Thanks for the info. Hoedt or Gibson would be adequate replacements, although I would love us to attempt to sign Sanchez from Ajax (de Ligt is very good too, but at 17 would be a risk). I am intrigued about the 'attacking player'. Could this be Barkley?

Thanks for the info. Hoedt or Gibson would be adequate replacements, although I would love us to attempt to sign Sanchez from Ajax (de Ligt is very good too, but at 17 would be a risk). I am intrigued about the 'attacking player'. Could this be Barkley?

No.

Everton aren't going to loan (with option to buy) someone with a year left on the contract.

Hope other out not Cedric, but fear so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not see a problem with a loan deal with an option to buy after (assuming that is the case) for a talented young player. Seems to be a very low risk strategy and makes good business sense.

A little disappointing that, if Tom is right (and let's face it he's been spot on this summer), we are bringing in loans when we will likely receive a world record fee for a defender this summer. However, we aren't going to spend a fortune for the sake of it and if we get Lemina, a CB and Roberts then we will have filled the obvious gaps in the squad. I'd like a second CB and another striker but we aren't going to block Stephens and unless we replace Long or Gallagher we won't go for another forward.

My only slight concern is, going forward and in an era of ever increasing transfer spends, whether we are going to be able to compete in this league long term without a takeover or fresh investment. If the window pans out as Tom predicts I'll be happy enough but if we are only able to do business having received £50-60m in fees then there will be times where we can't spend anything. We can't continue in the hope of generating significant transfer fees every summer, eventually we will run out of premium assets.

We should have got our replacement CB over the line before the transfer request. Prices have now gone up clearly. They know we'll cave in and accept whatever for VVD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I genuinely don't know why people are talking about Barkley - he's set his stall out for a big club and turned down 100k a week at Everton. he is 100% not going to consider moving to us

I'm not saying he is coming here but I very much doubt Barkley is going to end up at a big club my guess is it will end up being WHU out of desperation.

My first thought is that's a bit disappointing if that's true - its yet another window where Reed and Co have let down the manager and supporters.

We all agreed that we needed a more physical presence in CDM - and cover for Romeu - and it looks like Lemina will tick that box. But I think most of us felt we needed an ACM that can score goals and a real replacement for Fonte at CB as well. Not too mention a top class replacement for VVD is he goes.

The board are running a tight club though and it looks like we are set to make transfer profit again. And the reality is I think that is where our ambition really lies - not in Europe or winning things - but in making a profit.

So it seems it will always be a case of 1 in 1 out for the most part - with Stephens stepping up to replacing Fonte (and Bednarek stepping in to replace Stephens as 4th choice).

I was expecting Gardos and Clasie to leave this summer - with Bednarek replacing Gardos and Lemina replacing Claise, but if we are bringing in an attacker on Loan maybe Long will be the one to leave. With Clasie staying it gives us 6 central midfielders - which gives you the cover you need if you're going to play 4-3-3. Not sure where that leaves Taylor and Gardos though.

Could the attacking player on loan be one of the three 'wide forwards' we have been linked with - Luciano Vietto, Gabriel Barbosa or Patrick Roberts?

A little disappointing that, if Tom is right (and let's face it he's been spot on this summer), we are bringing in loans when we will likely receive a world record fee for a defender this summer. However, we aren't going to spend a fortune for the sake of it and if we get Lemina, a CB and Roberts then we will have filled the obvious gaps in the squad. I'd like a second CB and another striker but we aren't going to block Stephens and unless we replace Long or Gallagher we won't go for another forward.

My only slight concern is, going forward and in an era of ever increasing transfer spends, whether we are going to be able to compete in this league long term without a takeover or fresh investment. If the window pans out as Tom predicts I'll be happy enough but if we are only able to do business having received £50-60m in fees then there will be times where we can't spend anything. We can't continue in the hope of generating significant transfer fees every summer, eventually we will run out of premium assets.

How does a take over help with FFP what we need is greater commercial income. TBF though we aren't going to be the only club to struggle to keep up in the PL with the way things are going about 2/3rds of the PL will be in the same boat. In reality most people won't be building squads to compete with the top 6 just but building squads to be better than three other clubs.

How does a take over help with FFP what we need is greater commercial income. TBF though we aren't going to be the only club to struggle to keep up in the PL with the way things are going about 2/3rds of the PL will be in the same boat. In reality most people won't be building squads to compete with the top 6 just but building squads to be better than three other clubs.

Do we get to choose which clubs? Can we have a squad better than Liverpool, Spurs and West Ham please? I don't like those clubs.

My first thought is that's a bit disappointing if that's true - its yet another window where Reed and Co have let down the manager and supporters.

We all agreed that we needed a more physical presence in CDM - and cover for Romeu - and it looks like Lemina will tick that box. But I think most of us felt we needed an ACM that can score goals and a real replacement for Fonte at CB as well. Not too mention a top class replacement for VVD is he goes.

The board are running a tight club though and it looks like we are set to make transfer profit again. And the reality is I think that is where our ambition really lies - not in Europe or winning things - but in making a profit.

So it seems it will always be a case of 1 in 1 out for the most part - with Stephens stepping up to replacing Fonte (and Bednarek stepping in to replace Stephens as 4th choice).

I was expecting Gardos and Clasie to leave this summer - with Bednarek replacing Gardos and Lemina replacing Claise, but if we are bringing in an attacker on Loan maybe Long will be the one to leave. With Clasie staying it gives us 6 central midfielders - which gives you the cover you need if you're going to play 4-3-3. Not sure where that leaves Taylor and Gardos though.

Could the attacking player on loan be one of the three 'wide forwards' we have been linked with - Luciano Vietto, Gabriel Barbosa or Patrick Roberts?

On the CB to replace Fonte - we probably did need one before Stephens emerged. We aren't going to sign two CBs as then we'd have 6 CBs - unless we get rid of Yoshida we don't need one and, even then, I can't see Stephens wanting to be third choice.

"Highly-rated Academy graduate Lewis Baker, who was left out of the squad for the Community Shield loss to Arsenal, is also about to be loaned out."

#StrawClutching

Source: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-transfer-chief-marina-granovskaia-steps-up-efforts-as-danny-drinkwater-emerges-as-top-target-a3605986.html

Thought we weren't selling vvd?

Good news if midfield addition is close.

Not sure i see the point in a loan goalkeeper. Are we going to get better than Gazzaniga on loan anyway. Also would be very nice to have some communication regarding Mccarthy.

Hope we haven't committed to sell Van Dijk, regardless of whether or not anyone meets our valuation.

Hope the 3 targets are none of the 3 mediocre(gibson, Sakho, Wimmer)

Intrigued as to who the loan might be.

Interesting update from Tom28 who has been spot on all the way this summer.

Its fairly obvious I think that Taylor is in the club only really to be part of the GK training group. He will likely only play in extreme circumstances. McCarthy injury must be a reasonably long one so a loan is sensible so that Gazza can get another season playing, better than warming the bench for a lot of it.

Assuming the **** is sold then the CB replacement has to be of decent quality, clearly wont be as good as the **** but that's ok. Stephens will continue to improve and Yoshida is a decent number 3 (first choice replacement) and we will see how Bednarek settles in.

Lemina if he does sign looks just like we need alongside Romeu (who I think should be captain) so that's an area in better shape.

The loan AM is interesting - Lewis Baker seems to be the most likely, young and English (plus he knows a few of the existing team already).

A damp squid of a summer transfer window may yet turn out to be ok. I'm still not convinced by LR for the longer term as I wonder whether complacency is lurking (and the speed at which we seem to work compared to other clubs, drives me up the wall, but that's my problem!!), but if he turns this round, fair enough.