Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 1654

Thread: Sofiane Boufal

  1. #1601

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,784
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcbendy View Post
    I just watched the full 90 of the Koln game (which is available to watch on YouTube - you just need to install the free Windscribe Chrome add on and set the VPN to Germany - completely trivial) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_kdaaHe7y4

    Anyway - Boufal was really really good. Lots of clever touches which came off and put defences on the back foot, or was fouled and won us a free kick. He hardly ever gave the ball away and he *did* track back and press etc. If that had been a new signing playing their first 45 minutes for us (e.g. say Adams or Djenepo's first game) we'd have been absolutely creaming ourselves. If Ralph decides to keep him around I'll be really interested to see how he performs.
    He's ALWAYS tracked back and pressed, it has always been forum b011ocks that he didn't. The problem before was apparently his attitude off-pitch, not his ability on it. He did more in one shot against Sunderland and one dribble against West Brom two years ago than Elyounoussi did in the entire of last season. He also had the most successful dribbles of any player in the major leagues in Europe last season for Celta. If we can't find a way to use him we may as well give up.

    Condolences to the guy for his father's passing.

  2. #1602

    Default

    Presumably because he is behind Djenpo, or Ralph thought Djenepo's pace would be a good bench option.

    Also we had an extra attacker on the bench in Ings, compared to the Burnley game.

    In Thursdays presser, RH said Boufal's work against the ball still needs improving.

  3. #1603

    Default

    He just tweeted this:
    I want to deny any information regarding a possible transfer this summer, I'm 100% focused on my @Southamptonfc club ready and motivated to make a good season and help the club #comeonsaints

  4. #1604

    Default

    Good lad

  5. #1605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    He just tweeted this:
    I want to deny any information regarding a possible transfer this summer, I'm 100% focused on my @Southamptonfc club ready and motivated to make a good season and help the club #comeonsaints
    Very refreshing to hear that from a player, personally I'm a big fan and I think he'd fit in well with RH style. Seems very happy in the training pictures (* watch him FOFF to nice now!)

  6. #1606

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magnet View Post
    Very refreshing to hear that from a player, personally I'm a big fan and I think he'd fit in well with RH style. Seems very happy in the training pictures (* watch him FOFF to nice now!)
    Interpreted as his move to Nice isnít happening and he has nothing else on the table.

  7. #1607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Interpreted as his move to Nice isnít happening and he has nothing else on the table.
    Every silver lining has a cloud on Saintsweb.

  8. #1608

    Default

    In all the training pictures/videos he's looked to of been enjoying himself. If he wanted away he would of been training with Carillo, Lemina, Austin etc. RH doesn't suffer fools gladly.

  9. #1609

    Default

    thats why I keep banging on about boufal, such a talent, goes past players like they are not there. every time he got the ball he beat players and caused a ton of problems. and got the nice assist for Redmond too.. its really time though to stop wasting our most talented player and get him starting

  10. #1610

    Default

    Agree I'd have him with Redmond behind Ings/Adams

  11. #1611

    Default

    Nice thing today is that he did his trick and tried to play the through ball.
    At times before you felt there wasn’t going to be end product.
    Nice to see firm captaincy by hojberg shutting down him on the free kick.

  12. #1612

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bangkok City
    Posts
    402

    Default

    He did well after coming on. But that was set up for him, late on against 10 men. Can he produce for the full 90 every week? History suggests not. Deserves a chance though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #1613

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,551

    Default

    Redmond was just interviewed on Solent and said Ralph wants Boufal to work harder off the ball and run him self into the ground each game. Sub text being he won't start games until he shows Ralph he can do that.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  14. #1614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    thats why I keep banging on about boufal, such a talent, goes past players like they are not there. every time he got the ball he beat players and caused a ton of problems. and got the nice assist for Redmond too.. its really time though to stop wasting our most talented player and get him starting
    This.

    Eventually he will be starting with Redmond and Djennepo.

    Futures bright, just donít know how long it will last

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Redmond was just interviewed on Solent and said Ralph wants Boufal to work harder off the ball and run him self into the ground each game. Sub text being he won't start games until he shows Ralph he can do that.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Something is awry. Its VERY unusual for a player to say that about another player in a post match interview.

  16. #1616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by opthomps View Post
    He did well after coming on. But that was set up for him, late on against 10 men. Can he produce for the full 90 every week? History suggests not. Deserves a chance though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In fairness not many players produce every week. It's easier to criticise 'show ponies' when they have a bad game but they are also the ones who more often than not can win the match.

    I'm not actually sure we should be starting with Djenepo and Boufal just because they did well when they came on today, it's a simplistic view. However I think these players should also be cut some slack if they have one or two ineffective games - but it seems some people will be waiting for their opportunity to slate them if that happens.

  17. #1617

    Default

    This.

    If one of your team switches off as soon as the opposition has the ball, or only makes a cosmetic effort at pressing, or will get in the vicinity of an opponent but doesn't go the extra yard to get gaol-side, then your whole press, your whole defensive shape, is flawed, or there is no pressure on a cross, or an opponent can pick out a pass - and any of these can lead to a goal against and all this happens ALL the time your opponent has the ball. This is more likely to affect the outcome than a flash of brilliance which may influence the game occasionally.

    But the pity is that ANY of the squad could do this defensive activity if they have the right mind-set. But none of them have the skills Boufal has. All Ralph is asking for is that he does the (relatively) easy pressing, defensive activity when he doesn't have the ball as well as the magic he does when he does have it. Boufal has never shown the willingness to do both. Till he does, he'll continue to be a bit part player, brought on when the opposition is tired and the game is stretched.

  18. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Since '51 View Post
    This.

    If one of your team switches off as soon as the opposition has the ball, or only makes a cosmetic effort at pressing, or will get in the vicinity of an opponent but doesn't go the extra yard to get gaol-side, then your whole press, your whole defensive shape, is flawed, or there is no pressure on a cross, or an opponent can pick out a pass - and any of these can lead to a goal against and all this happens ALL the time your opponent has the ball. This is more likely to affect the outcome than a flash of brilliance which may influence the game occasionally.

    But the pity is that ANY of the squad could do this defensive activity if they have the right mind-set. But none of them have the skills Boufal has. All Ralph is asking for is that he does the (relatively) easy pressing, defensive activity when he doesn't have the ball as well as the magic he does when he does have it. Boufal has never shown the willingness to do both. Till he does, he'll continue to be a bit part player, brought on when the opposition is tired and the game is stretched.
    Yeah, you're quite right. MLT was utter rubbish because he didn't close down the opposition.

  19. #1619

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Yeah, you're quite right. MLT was utter rubbish because he didn't close down the opposition.
    Are you really comparing Boufal to MLT ?

    Also if Ralph had been manager during MLT's day I'm willing to bet MLT would never have been a starter either.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  20. #1620

    Default

    Tbh I think boufal is vastly better then redmond and it’s nothing new he always has been, but for some reason found himself out of favour Hughes didn’t help,, boufal can beat players with ease,, redmond actually isn’t that good at going past his man but he looks good when there’s plenty of space and he can carry the ball rapidly up the pitch like he did a couple of times Saturday..but overall boufal can do the hard things with ease and can be much more creative because he has that X factor to to make things happen

  21. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Are you really comparing Boufal to MLT ?

    Also if Ralph had been manager during MLT's day I'm willing to bet MLT would never have been a starter either.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Well, Boufal works far harder to win back the ball than MLT ever did, so I suppose the comparison is flawed in that sense.

    However, both are flair players who can do things with a football that others can't. MLT was a far better striker of a football than Boufal. Boufal is quicker than MLT was and arguably a better dribbler (most completed dribbles in Europe last season).

    The problem I had with the initial post is the assumption that Boufal is lazy (which in itself is lazy). He's always worked to get the ball back. I think it's probably more about him learning the triggers to press and the positions he has to take up to form Ralph's net. I expect this is where he had to work himself into the ground and why Ralph has all the guidelines drawn over the training pitches.

    The assumption that all he has to do is close down more is the problem I have with the initial post. There is more to Ralph's work against the ball than just running about like a headless chicken.

  22. #1622

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Tbh I think boufal is vastly better then redmond and it’s nothing new he always has been, but for some reason found himself out of favour Hughes didn’t help,, boufal can beat players with ease,, redmond actually isn’t that good at going past his man but he looks good when there’s plenty of space and he can carry the ball rapidly up the pitch like he did a couple of times Saturday..but overall boufal can do the hard things with ease and can be much more creative because he has that X factor to to make things happen
    I sometimes think I watch a completely different game to some people.

  23. #1623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Well, Boufal works far harder to win back the ball than MLT ever did, so I suppose the comparison is flawed in that sense.

    However, both are flair players who can do things with a football that others can't. MLT was a far better striker of a football than Boufal. Boufal is quicker than MLT was and arguably a better dribbler (most completed dribbles in Europe last season).

    The problem I had with the initial post is the assumption that Boufal is lazy (which in itself is lazy). He's always worked to get the ball back. I think it's probably more about him learning the triggers to press and the positions he has to take up to form Ralph's net. I expect this is where he had to work himself into the ground and why Ralph has all the guidelines drawn over the training pitches.

    The assumption that all he has to do is close down more is the problem I have with the initial post. There is more to Ralph's work against the ball than just running about like a headless chicken.
    Flawed indeed. How anyone could put Boufal in the same leage as Le Tissier is beyond me. Not even close to having the same ability on the ball.

  24. #1624

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Well, Boufal works far harder to win back the ball than MLT ever did, so I suppose the comparison is flawed in that sense.

    However, both are flair players who can do things with a football that others can't. MLT was a far better striker of a football than Boufal. Boufal is quicker than MLT was and arguably a better dribbler (most completed dribbles in Europe last season).

    The problem I had with the initial post is the assumption that Boufal is lazy (which in itself is lazy). He's always worked to get the ball back. I think it's probably more about him learning the triggers to press and the positions he has to take up to form Ralph's net. I expect this is where he had to work himself into the ground and why Ralph has all the guidelines drawn over the training pitches.

    The assumption that all he has to do is close down more is the problem I have with the initial post. There is more to Ralph's work against the ball than just running about like a headless chicken.
    Might as well go all out and say Boufal works as hard as Messi so should start

    My Christ!

  25. #1625

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    3,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintStinger View Post
    Flawed indeed. How anyone could put Boufal in the same leage as Le Tissier is beyond me. Not even close to having the same ability on the ball.
    He didn't compare Boufal to MLT. He made the point that they're both flair payers, and then highlighted some of the differences.

    To a large extent I agree with Useful Idiot. Boufal is the most talented player in our squad by a distance. However, he's not our best player because he doesn't seem able to translate that talent to being an effective team player over 90 mins. If he could be then we've got one hell of a player.

  26. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    He didn't compare Boufal to MLT. He made the point that they're both flair payers, and then highlighted some of the differences.

    To a large extent I agree with Useful Idiot. Boufal is the most talented player in our squad by a distance. However, he's not our best player because he doesn't seem able to translate that talent to being an effective team player over 90 mins. If he could be then we've got one hell of a player.
    I think this is pretty much on the money.

    The huge difference between MLT and Boufal is their decision making. MLT was leagues ahead of Boufal in that respect. Boufal's first touch was probably as good as MLT's, and he's consistently better at taking people on because he's faster. It doesn't make him close to as effective a player, though.

    Boufal works far harder off the ball than MLT ever did, though, which is my main point. Just because somebody doesn't contribute as much out of possession as another player, they can be carried by the rest of the team if they are good enough on the ball. The initial post I replied to seemed to suggest that this was never the case.

  27. #1627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    He didn't compare Boufal to MLT. He made the point that they're both flair payers, and then highlighted some of the differences.

    To a large extent I agree with Useful Idiot. Boufal is the most talented player in our squad by a distance. However, he's not our best player because he doesn't seem able to translate that talent to being an effective team player over 90 mins. If he could be then we've got one hell of a player.
    It’s been a long time since he’s had 90 minutes to be able to say this, last time he was getting starts all of our attack was struggling redmond likewise.
    But creatively i don’t think there’s anyone in our side more likely to be able to change a game then him, one bit of brilliance can often be the difference and this is what he can offer

  28. #1628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Tbh I think boufal is vastly better then redmond and it’s nothing new he always has been, but for some reason found himself out of favour Hughes didn’t help,, boufal can beat players with ease,, redmond actually isn’t that good at going past his man but he looks good when there’s plenty of space and he can carry the ball rapidly up the pitch like he did a couple of times Saturday..but overall boufal can do the hard things with ease and can be much more creative because he has that X factor to to make things happen
    After the game I heard a Brighton fan say that Redmond was one player that he’d definitely like them to buy. What he actually said was “I think we should get Redmond”.

    He never said anything about Boufal.

  29. #1629

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    After the game I heard a Brighton fan say that Redmond was one player that he’d definitely like them to buy. What he actually said was “I think we should get Redmond”.

    He never said anything about Boufal.
    Garth Crooks picks Redmond for his team of the week. He didn’t pick Boufal. Case closed I’d say.

  30. #1630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Garth Crooks picks Redmond for his team of the week. He didnít pick Boufal. Case closed Iíd say.
    Garth Crooks

  31. #1631

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadhall Saint View Post
    Garth Crooks
    Without looking I'm going to guess Matip and Van Arnholt are also in there, having scored a goal.

  32. #1632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Without looking I'm going to guess Matip and Van Arnholt are also in there, having scored a goal.
    Correct on Matip but surprisingly not van Aanholt. He also said this in the Redmond section - "This was more like the Southampton I saw at the back end of last season. They took the game to the opposition and looked dangerous on the break."

    I can only assume he based his comments on the MOTD highlights, rather than watching the whole game. Absolutely pathetic really.

  33. #1633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Without looking I'm going to guess Matip and Van Arnholt are also in there, having scored a goal.
    Notice that Crooks only picks players from winning teams.

  34. #1634

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kucho View Post
    Notice that Crooks only picks players from winning teams.

    Well of course. He's not that bright and must assume that if you lost you were crap.

  35. #1635

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Tbh I think boufal is vastly better then redmond and it’s nothing new he always has been, but for some reason found himself out of favour Hughes didn’t help,, boufal can beat players with ease,, redmond actually isn’t that good at going past his man but he looks good when there’s plenty of space and he can carry the ball rapidly up the pitch like he did a couple of times Saturday..but overall boufal can do the hard things with ease and can be much more creative because he has that X factor to to make things happen
    I suspect all of what you say is right. Redmond is very spasmodic and spends large parts of many games in anonymity.

  36. #1636

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    I sometimes think I watch a completely different game to some people.

    So do we.

  37. #1637

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    After the game I heard a Brighton fan say that Redmond was one player that he’d definitely like them to buy. What he actually said was “I think we should get Redmond”.

    He never said anything about Boufal.
    Are you suggesting that Brighton fans have better judgement than us?

  38. #1638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Are you suggesting that Brighton fans have better judgement than us?
    One isolated fan doesn’t represent them all but sometimes it takes an outsider to make you appreciate what you have.

  39. #1639

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Are you suggesting that Brighton fans have better judgement than us?
    Not “us”, just the two people who currently rate Boufal above last year’s player of the season, and Saturday’s MotM. Boufal is a mercurial talent, no question, but comes nowhere near the work rate, possession retention and teamwork of Redmond. If he did, he would be a £50m player rather than most being happy to get our money back on him in the last window.

  40. #1640

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    Correct on Matip but surprisingly not van Aanholt. He also said this in the Redmond section - "This was more like the Southampton I saw at the back end of last season. They took the game to the opposition and looked dangerous on the break."

    I can only assume he based his comments on the MOTD highlights, rather than watching the whole game. Absolutely pathetic really.
    We were ****e at the back end of last season, anyway!

  41. #1641

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Interpreted as his move to Nice isnít happening and he has nothing else on the table.
    Or an honest comment by a player who wants to do his best for the club he plays for? Why not give the lad a chance?
    Why the unnecessary cynicism, Turkish?

  42. #1642

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    Or an honest comment by a player who wants to do his best for the club he plays for? Why not give the lad a chance?
    Why the unnecessary cynicism, Turkish?
    Because itís true. If he wants to knuckle down great but he was also looking for a move this summer. I hope He has a brilliant season for us but if he could have moved earlier on he would have

  43. #1643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Not “us”, just the two people who currently rate Boufal above last year’s player of the season, and Saturday’s MotM. Boufal is a mercurial talent, no question, but comes nowhere near the work rate, possession retention and teamwork of Redmond. If he did, he would be a £50m player rather than most being happy to get our money back on him in the last window.
    Most wanting to our money back is just standard saints web really, any player out of the first 11 automatically becomes crap even if people originally rated them super high like Gaston gabbiadini lemina etc the list goes on manager must know best..

    As for last years player of the season McCarthy had the same accolades the year before but he’s apperently crap too now he’s out of the side, funny that..
    it Was probably more of a case of redmond being our only half decent attacking option last year who had a unchallenged run in the side as the only real creative outlet with a bit of pace.

  44. #1644

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle
    Posts
    6,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    Because itís true. If he wants to knuckle down great but he was also looking for a move this summer. I hope He has a brilliant season for us but if he could have moved earlier on he would have
    Why should not players look to better themselves if opportunities arise? Boufal was sent out on loan because he did not fit in, so he's been quite entitled to keep his options open. Now Ralph is offering him a new chance, so good luck to him -and us. Why the negative carping, Turks?

  45. #1645

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    Great game for Sofiane last night. Catch his interview on the OS, what a guy total commitment to the club and not at all arrogant as he is often portrayed to be by his critics.

    He looks like he could be a star player for us this season. If Redmond is out for a few weeks this will be his big chance, he will know it and we should hope that he grasps it.

  46. #1646

    Default

    Worked very hard last night I thought. Still doesn't make the greatest of decisions all the time but hopefully that will come. Might become a very important player for us this season, especially if Redmond is out for a while.

  47. Default

    Can't count how many times he lost the ball in risky areas. Desperate to prove himself by being the hero. He worked hard, sure, but we need more than that.

  48. #1648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    Can't count how many times he lost the ball in risky areas. Desperate to prove himself by being the hero. He worked hard, sure, but we need more than that.
    First full game for us in a long while, I'm more than happy with his performance. He will get better as he fits into the side, doesn't happen overnight.

  49. Default

    Hopefully, but he's been that way for a long time.

  50. Default

    He did really well last night, and just think how much better he would’ve done had he not been scythed down by Fulham players at every opportunity. That tackle from Johanssen when Boufal was through on goal was an absolute shocker, should’ve gone for that I think.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •