Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. Saints really keen to get any of the people they don't want out. Prepared to accept pretty much anything for them. 

Haven’t our asking prices for Hoedt and Lemina priced them out of permanent moves?

as for Carillo we’ll probably have to pay someone to take him 

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Haven’t our asking prices for Hoedt and Lemina priced them out of permanent moves?

Yes. Obviously. This time next year we will pay someone £10m to take Carillo. I mean, why wouldnt we? Yawn.

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

I expect lemona is different although we got an option to buy for him didn't we? I'm told we want hoedt to go but I think the wages are the issue. 

Ludicrous really, selling him for a minimal fee and saving on wages that won't be spent anywhere else until next summer anyway, so that we can have a youngster on the bench to "get him time around the first team" without trusting him to be able to make a difference. 

When Boufal - whilst inconsistent - was probably our best fit option yesterday to create something out of nothing against a stoic defence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Ludicrous really, selling him for a minimal fee and saving on wages that won't be spent anywhere else until next summer anyway, so that we can have a youngster on the bench to "get him time around the first team" without trusting him to be able to make a difference. 

When Boufal - whilst inconsistent - was probably our best fit option yesterday to create something out of nothing against a stoic defence. 

It depends really on how good we think Tella is. I know nothing about him but if he is able to replicate Boufal's standard 1 goal a season then we're really not losing out on much. I don't think he'd have made a difference yesterday, infact I can't remember him ever unlocking a stoic defence. Just crap ones like Watford and West Brom.

4 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Yes. Obviously. This time next year we will pay someone £10m to take Carillo. I mean, why wouldnt we? Yawn.

Oh bless you’ve started following me around. You’re not very bright are you bobby. I’ll be nice to you in future 

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I expect lemona is different although we got an option to buy for him didn't we? I'm told we want hoedt to go but I think the wages are the issue. 

If Fulham stay up and he plays a set amount of games. He wasn’t even on the bench yesterday is he injured again?

i think Hoedt has a few options but we want about £6m for him which is stopping a permanent deal happening 

IIRC Boufal was recovering from injury when Saints bought him . It took some time to get him fit and several managers decided he wasn’t up to scratch. Puel tried him and he scored then spoilt it by screaming at Puel to pick him every match. After that he was sidelined and rarely appeared. Time for him to go , I don’t think he’ll do well unless he drops down a level or two.

2 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

IIRC Boufal was recovering from injury when Saints bought him . It took some time to get him fit and several managers decided he wasn’t up to scratch. Puel tried him and he scored then spoilt it by screaming at Puel to pick him every match. After that he was sidelined and rarely appeared. Time for him to go , I don’t think he’ll do well unless he drops down a level or two.

It was Pellegrino he remonstrated with, but we get your drift.    I love watching him play, despite the frustrations.   Looks like he's going though.

On 13/09/2020 at 12:41, East Kent Saint said:

As I remember it, MoPe (not Puel) then started him for the next 4 games and he did absolutely naff all and got dropped again. That’s actually one of the few things I respected about MoPe, the fact that he was willing to put the good of the team ahead of his own ego and give Boufal a run, in spite of his celebration against West Brom.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Stupidly cheap given how much it would cost us to replace him, and how thin the squad already is 

Exactly the point i ve been making for a few days.

It will probably mean that we don’t replace him and just bring in a CM.
if we replace Boufal expect a loan deal and that s about it.

7 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Exactly the point i ve been making for a few days.

It will probably mean that we don’t replace him and just bring in a CM.
if we replace Boufal expect a loan deal and that s about it.

What is wrong with this?! We could bring in someone quite decent to play on that side on the pitch, With a obligation to buy, Therefore just posponing the payment and still gettin a prefered player in that position on the pitch.

Also, It's not completely impossible that Elyounussi has another decent season and comes back and does well here. 

15 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

What is wrong with this?! We could bring in someone quite decent to play on that side on the pitch, With a obligation to buy, Therefore just posponing the payment and still gettin a prefered player in that position on the pitch.

Also, It's not completely impossible that Elyounussi has another decent season and comes back and does well here

It is. He’s sh*te.

We all know we are being seriously hampered by the log jam caused by the volume of "rubbish" we have bought in recent years, maybe at last we have reached the point where we are just wiping our mouth, taking it on the chin, because the bottleneck these players are causing might well have reached the stage where we are in danger of risking the overall big money of the premier league.  2-4 million euros for Boufal whilst it looks paltry - his performances for us are not exactly a glittering window display.

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Stupidly cheap given how much it would cost us to replace him, and how thin the squad already is 

There are players in the National leagues as good as him, who'll move on to L1 / Championship teams at some point (which is his level), who would cost as much as we're potentially selling him for if we're desperate to fill our squad with the same mediocrity.

He's all fart and no shit, with a terrible attitude to boot (he give Fabrice a good battle on the petulance front).

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

There are players in the National leagues as good as him, who'll move on to L1 / Championship teams at some point (which is his level), who would cost as much as we're potentially selling him for if we're desperate to fill our squad with the same mediocrity.

He's all fart and no shit, with a terrible attitude to boot (he give Fabrice a good battle on the petulance front).

I would suggest that aside from squaring up to Pellegrino after scoring that goal, his attitude appears to have been pretty good. Never heard any moaning from him or that he's caused any problems. 

And to suggest his level is L1/Championship is nonsense. He is clearly a talented player but it just hasn't worked out for him here. It happens.

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

We all know we are being seriously hampered by the log jam caused by the volume of "rubbish" we have bought in recent years, maybe at last we have reached the point where we are just wiping our mouth, taking it on the chin, because the bottleneck these players are causing might well have reached the stage where we are in danger of risking the overall big money of the premier league.  2-4 million euros for Boufal whilst it looks paltry - his performances for us are not exactly a glittering window display.

The stuff on here is brilliant. Everyone has been moaning about how many crap players we've got and that we need to shift the deadwood, now we've started to do that people are moaning we are significantly weakening the squad! Of the players who have left and not been replaced so far only one of them played in the first team last season. If Boufal goes he's only made 8 starts in 2 years!

Edited by Turkish

55 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I would suggest that aside from squaring up to Pellegrino after scoring that goal, his attitude appears to have been pretty good. Never heard any moaning from him or that he's caused any problems. 

And to suggest his level is L1/Championship is nonsense. He is clearly a talented player but it just hasn't worked out for him here. It happens.

There's a lot of rubbish being written about Boufal as a "hopeless, lower league" player with a crap attitude.    As you say, he's a richly talented player and comes across as a humble, down to earth person.   Let's hope the next stage of his career goes well.

• Haha 1

Only a few more of Les' legacy to shift. We are so lucky to have got Ralph - without him we'd have been relegated and face an almost certain financial implosion - dragged down through the leagues by the weight of a bloated and average squad on wages far above our stature. That future would have been far bleaker than what followed the last relegation imo. Thankfully we seem to have escaped it, touch wood.

I know people are saying 4 million euros - it’s cheap, its cheap, but is it ? He’s made 70 appearances for us since 2016, I bet no more than 20 are the full 90 minutes and he’s been out on loan to a club who didn’t want to buy him. 

If you add to that 4 million the wages the club will save it doesn’t look such a bad deal.

Yet another flair player that IMO needed a manager to put some real faith in him in order to get the best out of them. He'd play well coming off the bench, then given a start, perhaps didn't shine, so was immediately dropped back to the bench. Maybe he simply is not good enough, but if you are going to spend £24m on a player, you ought to know what you are buying, good and bad, and with that knowledge, know how to utilise them. In my eyes he should have been given a long run of games, starting them all and with the manager getting the ball to him and encouraging him to take players on all day long. I must confess to wanting to watch flair players with tricks that can dribble past payers perhaps more than anything else and this means my judgement can be faulty, but if he goes we must search for another like him, just better.

• Like 1

He is a very talented flair player.

IMO just who was needed to try to break down Palace.

Still if he doesn't fit with Ralph's thinking he should go.

Don't be surprised if he doesn't do well in another team or another league.

A shame that he doesn't fit in, when you see players that can dribble and set up openings do well in other teams.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

.. but if he goes we must search for another like him, just better.

But as a realistic poster you know we won't, indeed can't, for what we're prepared to spend.

It's a shame, as I was always optimistic when he was on the pitch even if I was generally disappointed..

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yet another flair player that IMO needed a manager to put some real faith in him in order to get the best out of them. He'd play well coming off the bench, then given a start, perhaps didn't shine, so was immediately dropped back to the bench. Maybe he simply is not good enough, but if you are going to spend £24m on a player, you ought to know what you are buying, good and bad, and with that knowledge, know how to utilise them. In my eyes he should have been given a long run of games, starting them all and with the manager getting the ball to him and encouraging him to take players on all day long. I must confess to wanting to watch flair players with tricks that can dribble past payers perhaps more than anything else and this means my judgement can be faulty, but if he goes we must search for another like him, just better.

14 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

He is a very talented flair player.

IMO just who was needed to try to break down Palace.

Still if he doesn't fit with Ralph's thinking he should go.

Don't be surprised if he doesn't do well in another team or another league.

A shame that he doesn't fit in, when you see players that can dribble and set up openings do well in other teams.

Excuses, excuses. We had the same with Gaston. He had chances, he blew them, he didn’t have the ability needed to play in this league. Not good enough, that’s it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, austsaint said:

There's a lot of rubbish being written about Boufal as a "hopeless, lower league" player with a crap attitude.    As you say, he's a richly talented player and comes across as a humble, down to earth person.   Let's hope the next stage of his career goes well.

Totally agree. No idea why people take up these hostile positions when they know next to nothing about the player other than the rubbish they read on here. We have precious few precocious talents in our squad, Djenepo will be the only one if Boufal is moved on and let's be frank about it Djenepo has hardly set the world alight since his much trumpeted arrival here as one of Hasenhüttl's new breed. 

29 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Do we not already have a replacement for Boufal in Djenepo? He did as much in his limited gametime last season as Boufal has done for us in years.

If he stays fit I don't think we even need to replace Boufal, just spend the money on a better cm

100% agree. We should concentrate on Djenepo and see if he can prosper this season. He's only 22 and has time on his side.

Boufal hasn't convinced our last 4 managers. We should all be honest and accept that he's not going to make it here. Either way I don't mind if he stays this season or not, financially I guess we would rather cash in now, but if he goes on a free then so be it. I'd wish him well as he's a cracking player when on form. 

If we are only going to get £2M (or even €2M) for him, then I'd rather keep him and 'play the joker'(*) every now and then from the bench.

* as in, playing the unexpected card, not a comment on his personality

If we could sell for £20M, I would probably be more keen to sell, but not if we can only get peanuts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Totally agree. No idea why people take up these hostile positions when they know next to nothing about the player other than the rubbish they read on here. 

“Know next to nothing“ , apart from watching him fail time & time again. Oh & 4 or 5 managers who see him day in, day out in training as well as every single minute in a Saints shirt, I guess they know “next to nothing” about him as well. 

Of course, you know better lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Are bench is getting weaker and weaker ....... with only Moussa that has a glimpse of creativity and unpredictabilty im getting a bit worried!  Boufal is a class act and despite what some muppets on here say will be missed !

We have more or less managed without him for 4 years............

16 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

We have more or less managed without him for 4 years............

Its truly odd that a player that has scored 3 league goals in 4 years and only started 8 in the last 2 is held in such high regard. Everyone moans we've got too many underperforming players earning too much money that we need to get rid off, now when we do people are moaning that our squad looks weak. 

Edited by Turkish

On 15/09/2020 at 13:39, SuperSAINT said:

I can see both sides - I can see the idea of not losing him for nothing next summer & getting the wages off the wage bill...

BUT, he still offers an option we can’t really replicate off the bench.

I certainly don’t see us spending big to replace him. 

What exactly is that option?  A player with zero defensive ability so you wouldn't bring him on if winning a game and a player who, statistically, has an all but zero % chance of scoring a goal or providing an assist.

You could could put me on the bench and get both of those.... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Totally agree. No idea why people take up these hostile positions when they know next to nothing about the player other than the rubbish they read on here. We have precious few precocious talents in our squad, Djenepo will be the only one if Boufal is moved on and let's be frank about it Djenepo has hardly set the world alight since his much trumpeted arrival here as one of Hasenhüttl's new breed. 

Djenepo has managed 2 PL goals and we only signed him last year.  Boufal was signed in 2016 and has only manged 3....

Boufal has been a colossal waste of money.  £12m in transfer fee and another £10m in wages all for the grand total of 3 PL goals.  

Sims is by no means a world beater and is very probably not PL level but does anyone think if he was given the games that Boufal has he could have done worse than 3 PL goals (and for a fraction of the cost).